Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Workspaces, to be or not to be

Discussion in 'EditorXR' started by TexasGreenTea, Dec 26, 2016.

1. TexasGreenTea

TexasGreenTea

The less we need to interact with workspaces, the better. I do like the design of workspaces in general, but they strike me as a good, quick way to bring our 2D UIs into VR. Backward compatibility is fine for getting current Unity devs to transition into EVR, but it also hamstrings the potential of the new system.

Ultimately, we need to rethink all these UIs from scratch so that they take advantage of the new and more intuitive control scheme of EVR.

This past summer, I was working on a tool to traverse and edit the hierarchy visually inside Scene View. The goal was to entirely eliminate the need for the hierarchy in my standard layout. I just wanted to free up more screen space. I got it working pretty well, but I think it would work even better in VR. I'll play with it some more today and see if I can turn it into an EVR tool.

If we get everyone in the community thinking along these lines (i.e. creating UIs that make workspaces unnecessary) I think we'll have a stronger UX for EVR at the end of the day.

2. amirebrahimi_unity

amirebrahimi_unity

Agreed, @TexasGreenTea, however, the Workspace in it's general form can actually be a 3D volume (e.g. MiniWorld). So, I look forward to people creating new UX that could replace 2D(ish) UIs.