Search Unity

Working On "Night Club"

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by lenarskiy, Mar 19, 2017.

?

Do you need modular Night Club interior?

1. Yes a lot of modules and one demo scene

70.0%
  2. No need modules, I need ready to use interior

10.0%
  3. I need one big scene with a lot of interiors as in Black Ops 2 Night Club

2.5%
  4. I don't need

17.5%
  1. lenarskiy

lenarskiy

Attached Files:

• 11.jpg
      11.jpg
      File size:
      143.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  2. lenarskiy

lenarskiy

We would like to know the opinion of developers about our new asset "Night Club", please vote for the answer or leave a comment what would you like to see in it

3. hopeful

hopeful

It would be great if there were enough different items in the kit that we could assemble three or four different looking night clubs out of it - or more - and not just the one scene.

So maybe two styles of seating that can be combined in different ways, two different looks for bar areas, etc. That way, by changing materials and changing models, we can customize the scene better.

I would say adding models is the main issue. Materials are easier for us to change, in that if we want to give it a more industrial look, we can add some textured steel flooring in areas, stuff like that.

TeagansDad likes this.
  4. lenarskiy

lenarskiy

@hopeful Thanks, as you can see in attached image almost all objects already have customizeable colors, textures are made in white color so user can easily change it's color in material. But some objects doesn't support customization for example bar chairs
    What about walls, stairs, pillars?

Attached Files:

• 12.jpg
      12.jpg
      File size:
      218.1 KB
      Views:
  5. hopeful

hopeful

I don't think I've ever actually been to a night club, so I'm maybe a bad person to advise on this outside of game needs. ;)

I'm not too concerned about walls and pillars, though if you can think of one or two easy ways to make interesting differentiations, that would be good. Probably an easy thing I could do as a buyer to make the walls more interesting (aside from playing with materials), would be to put large, thin cubes on them as a design element, maybe offset a bit and with some emissive backlighting that would show up if GI is used. If I wanted, I could also add some thin cubes to the columns, to make vertical piping or horizontal end caps, or whatever. As a scene designer, you can probably come up with something a little more complicated that befits your skill level. ;)

What I can see of the stairs is great (they are distant in the pictures). Probably a simple change can be made to give a different style of stair step, and that would aid with differentiation. As far as the hand rails go, maybe there could be an adjustable number of support bars (0-3), and the top bar (where the hand goes) could have alternate cylindrical or flat designs. Users could then pick wood or shiny metal or brushed metal for the materials on the top rail.

I already have a few different lighting styles (wall sconces, overhead, etc.), but you might look into changing the lighting a little, as that is a big way to make scenes different. So spotlights with cookies, LED strips, stuff like that.

Another sort of material change that customers ought to be able to easily achieve would be to change some things to a metallic reflective surface, and other things to a transparent glass surface. You could do some of that too for demo purposes. I think probably the bar areas could benefit from a second model, and possibly more detail. I happen to have bottles and taps, granite, marble and wood textures, point of sale equipment, and so forth, but other buyers might appreciate having such things integrated.

A type of realistic detail you might want to include would be multiple styles of entrance, restroom doors, ventilation objects, emergency exit, etc. Possibly also an alternate dance floor.

Are disco balls still a thing? ;)

TeagansDad likes this.
  6. hopeful

hopeful

Oh, another thing ... probably this sort of venue can also be adapted for use as a bar for live bands, or as a strip club. Not sure if you want to do that. I think it would be easy for a buyer to make the conversion themselves, but alternative looks like that could be something to keep in mind.

7. lenarskiy

lenarskiy

Currently we done some startup stage and lighting equpment +1 mirror ball :) (pic1)
    I think one strip stage will be added too, currently we have two different GoGo dancers stages (pic2)
    We plan to do only door entrance not doors themselves as a lot of different doors are in store (pic3 )
    Stairs, walls, pillars will have one height 3.5m, this will give possibility to make second floor (pic4) but may be in future we will add some more heights but think for first release to stop on 1 height for all modular props

Making all object customizeable will cause performance issues, that's why need to decide which object really need to have 2-3 materials for each part (chrome for hand rails and metal for stairs) except one UVmapped object with metallic texture

Attached Files:

8. hopeful

hopeful

I wouldn't worry about performance issues, because some buyers will be building for desktop, some for mobile, and some for VR. Buyers can accordingly increase or restrict the number of materials used, can combine meshes, use OC and LOD, add / subtract camera FX, etc.

The main thing would be to present good art that the average developer would have difficulty making on their own.

TeagansDad likes this.
  9. lenarskiy

lenarskiy

@hopeful Thanks for the extended answers, we will take into account your opinion, and as I understood you vote for item 1 :)

10. hopeful

hopeful

You're welcome. :)

I'm not sure about "modules." Is that what I want?

I vote for several different models of reasonably high quality that can be combined in various ways to make different looking night clubs. So not just one look for the stairs, not just one look for the bar area, not just one look for the DJ / soundstage, not just one look for the dance floor. Combinations of these could be shown off in example scenes.

But definitely I think the asset store needs at least one night club kit. There isn't anything right now, so far as I know.

11. lenarskiy

lenarskiy

That means we are on the right way ;), so:
    @hopeful "Night club props (Customizable)"

Waiting for the votes/comments of other developers....

12. hopeful

hopeful

13. lenarskiy

lenarskiy

Thanks! Get one of two vouchers in our Facebook page
    We plan to release 4 packages (each 15$) that will be included in the final NightClub asset:
    1. PBR Stage Equipment
    2. PBR Bar props
    3. PBR Furniture
    4. PBR Club props
    The total number of models in final asset will reach 80-100

John-G likes this.
  14. hopeful

hopeful

Thank you! :D

I'm interested in the full club, but if I don't get it for a while, this smaller one will be fun to have (with the disco ball and other lighting ;) ).

BTW, I was able to get one of the codes to work ... but I don't know which one. I typed in the first code, and it said it was invalid (used). So I typed in the second one, and it briefly flashed that it was unlocked and ready for download, but in a fraction of a second it went to the "invalid code" message. So ... I'm not sure what happened. Maybe only one or both of the codes have been used? But I did find the package was unlocked.

15. lenarskiy

lenarskiy

@hopeful It means some one got first voucher, but second is yours you are able to download it now

16. hopeful

hopeful

I have downloaded it, and it looks very nice!

A suggestion ... there is a free Unity asset that has a simple disco ball cookie texture and script for rotation. Maybe a higher resolution cookie and rotation script could be made for this disco ball? I'm looking at this, and it seems pretty easy to make (both cookie and script), but it would probably be better if there was a solution in the kit for it.

17. John-G

John-G

That would have been me, cheers for the code.

18. lenarskiy

lenarskiy

@hopeful You are reading my mind :)

hopeful likes this.
  19. lenarskiy

lenarskiy

What kind of code?

20. John-G

John-G

Should really have said voucher.

21. lenarskiy

lenarskiy

@John-G You have a chance to get it on our Twitter after half an hour, hope it will be you :)

22. radimoto

radimoto

Thanks for the voucher :)

The PBR Stage Equipment pack is great, I've been wanting to do some audio visualisation in VR so this will be really useful. The lights are all setup nicely ready to animate.

The DJ Controls are also very nicely detailed.

Only issue I noticed was the Main Camera is missing a script? I imported Standard Assets > Camera but the script is still missing.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  23. lenarskiy

lenarskiy

@radimoto Missing scripts is Bloom script from Standart Assets-Effects
    Coming soon new asset (also part of future Night Club) PBR Bar Props 20.jpg 19.jpg 18.jpg

hopeful likes this.
  24. hopeful

hopeful

25. lenarskiy

lenarskiy

V1.0 is available! The screenshots above are taken from version 1.1, which is in the process.. Get vouchers at our Facebook page

26. hopeful

hopeful

Vultures already snapped them up! ;)

27. lenarskiy

lenarskiy

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  28. hopeful

hopeful

Just isn't working for me, I guess. I tried both of them, in the comments, and Unity tells me my code is invalid. Are you sure they haven't already been claimed?

29. lenarskiy

lenarskiy

@hopeful all voucher are gone, email me to get one

30. hopeful

hopeful

Thanks! :D

31. AGregori

AGregori

A good quality night club asset is badly needed in the store. I'm highly interested. ;)

32. lenarskiy

lenarskiy

You already can purchase or just preview some parts of it or wait for full NightClub asset.
    We would also like to know what else you would like to see in this asset

33. AGregori

AGregori

I'll wait for the full one. :)
    The work-in-progress club in the video looks cool, but also looks sterile and unrealistic at this point. Please include more props, glasses, decals.
    Also a separated toilet area with working doors, and an employee's office.

34. lenarskiy

lenarskiy

@Gregorik Props for NightClub are the 4th last asset called "PBR Club props" and will include different walls, pillars, stairs and other base elements to build level. Not sure about decals can you give example?
    Employee's office and toilets ... need to think about this, since adding this props will cause delay in releasing asset :)

35. AGregori

AGregori

Adding these seamless siderooms would really increase asset value for all adventure games and RPG's for obvious reasons. The place would be more than a night club, it would include rooms with quest objectives, important NPC's etc... ;)

36. lenarskiy

lenarskiy

Well thanks for the advice! Then we will definitely think about this

AGregori likes this.
  37. AGregori

AGregori

Check out the night club scenes in Vampire Bloodlines, Sleeping Dogs, and the Deus Ex series: the club offices and restrooms are where all the plot action happens. ;) I need these for my own game(s) too.

hopeful likes this.
  38. hopeful

hopeful

Just so you know, there are other assets that contain full public restrooms and office furnishings like desk, computer, etc.

I'm not saying this could not be in a nightclub pack, just pointing out that there are some other good resources in the store.

Also, Tirgames probably has some bathroom and office models they could adapt or release separately for use with the nightclub.

39. AGregori

AGregori

I know, already own them: restrooms, office rooms, all that stuff. And I could weld these rooms to a night club, but I'm no professional modeler and players could tell it. Tirgames, however, are pretty good modelers. A seamlessly integrated club environment with a stylish boss office etc. is a different beast.

40. lenarskiy

lenarskiy

Yes we have it, but they are useless without a complete rework, because all models in NightClub are PBR

41. lenarskiy

lenarskiy

Wow, so many new ideas came after watching these games ;)

hopeful likes this.
  42. hopeful

hopeful

I'm taking a first look at the PBR Bar Props and noticing there are some collider issues. Mesh colliders are being used, but that isn't necessarily the best solution. For example, using the mesh collider the seat of each bar stool is not available for sitting.

I'm not a collider expert - so if someone here is, please speak up - but my understanding is that in many cases simple colliders can be used to both speed up physics calculations and support functionality. Like a particular stool model might have a collider specifically on the seat, to permit character IK to put a hand on the seat or sit a character down, and if applicable, maybe also a small collider for the foot rest. There could be another collider that represents the bulk of the bar stool, so it can be bumped into. The club bar could have a large cube acting as a collider instead of the mesh.

Or maybe making colliders is seen more as the game dev's job, and not the artist's ...? I could see that too.

43. lenarskiy

lenarskiy

Of course this is the work of the 3d artist
    If you used our asset School scene or Factory we divided the each model by the type of surface for example metal, wood, etc. And for each surface separately created a collider with the appointment of a physical material for the type of surface. This makes it easy to access the type of surface material for drawing decals in FPS games.
    But in the new assets, we will most likely make separate physical colliders for each model, and the model itself will be an integral one, i.e. the FBX file will include a object Mesh and several optimized mesh colliders separated by type of surface. But we have not yet reached this part:), and so for now just added the mesh colliders and in some models used Convex.

AGregori and hopeful like this.
  44. hopeful

hopeful

Nice update on the PBR Bar Props! :)

Good to see the various drinks, blender, drink dispenser, bottles, POS, second bar, and refrigerators.

45. lenarskiy

lenarskiy

Thanks! Hope to add optimized colliders in next update.
    Currently working on update for PBR Stage Equipment with about 12 additional objects, but still without lighting effects

AGregori and hopeful like this.
  46. lenarskiy

lenarskiy

PBR Furniture is available now! https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/85517
    Two vouchers at our Facebook page
    All models include RGB Mask texture for customization in graphics editor, in future updates we will add RGB masked shader and mask textures for all packs from Night Club theme
    Screen1.jpg Screen2.jpg

47. hopeful

hopeful

Nicely done! :)

48. lenarskiy

lenarskiy

Thanks!

49. hopeful

hopeful

Great looking update to the PBR Stage Equipment pack. Awesome! :)

50. lenarskiy

lenarskiy

I'm glad that you liked it! (and thanks for review update)
    I think there are enough models, we will start work on the lighting effects for the next update