Search Unity

► Wireframe shader - The Amazing Wireframe shader ◄

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Arkhivrag, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Pink color means that shader is not complied.
    To check why it is not compiled -> select shader from material editor and in shaders Inspector window will be written all problems.
    Untitled-1.png
    Untitled-6.png

Select error warning and inside Console window will be displayed full info about it.

VacuumShaders - Facebook Twitter YouTube

2. Hardwires

Hardwires

Here we go:

I guess the reason it can't include it is because it doesn't seem to have been imported:

And that would be because it isn't even in the package itself:

This is really annoying.

EDIT: Is Wire_Functions.cginc the same as Wireframe_Core.cginc? The package I have seems to appear different from the one listed on the asset store.

EDIT 2: Oh, pressing RESET after renaming the file seems to have fixed it. Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  3. Hardwires

Hardwires

Damn it. Now I have another issue. The 2-sided transparent shader is definitely not transparent:

As you can see the background is not being shone through object. Why is this happening?

EDIT: The Issue is actually only with the UI, it seems.

Yep, the geometry seems to intersect with the UI.

4. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Unity did not import Wireframe_Core.cginc file. It is inside package (you can check it on asset store also).
    Untitled-1.png

Before downloading and importing package:
    1. Delete previous version from project. (Wire_Functions.cginc is from previous version)
    2. Cleaning asset store cache:
    PC - C:\Users\[Your Profile Name]\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store
    MAC - "~/Library/Unity/Asset\ Store".

5. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

It may be transparent shaders rendering order issue.
    1. Select shader and double-click to open it.
    2. Find line with "Queue"="Transparent"
    3. Change it to "Queue"="Transparent+1" (means that current shader will be rendered after all transparent shaders)
    4. Save file.
    5. Unity may not change shader render queue automatically. Just assign new shader and then revert (do not use CTRL + Z).

6. Hardwires

Hardwires

Thank you so much! Everything is working now.
    There are still however some issues where when moving the camera from inside a wire object to outside the object causes other objects to disappear until the camera re-enters the object.

7. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

That's the global problem of all transparent shaders that's why I've added 3 types of transparent shaders.
    If you are using black wire color then better use Multiple shaders, they have no problem rendering order.

8. vngthowhing

vngthowhing

My original mesh has less than 65K vertices (about 50K), but after calling Generate, it creates a mesh with 70K vertices and breaks because it exceeds the 65K limit. Any ideas how to prevent this?
    Victor.

9. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

It is written inside ReadMe file, Doc folder - During generating barycentric coordinates mesh vertex count may increase and if it is more then 65.000 conversion will fail.
    While generator does its best to minimize addition vertex count, sometimes it can not be done because of mesh vertex/triangle structure. In this case the only solution is slit the mesh manually.

10. vngthowhing

vngthowhing

Thanks - that's what I ended up doing, and the solution works for me.
    Victor

11. Superrodan

Superrodan

I just updated to 2.0 and am getting this error:
    Assets/VacuumShaders/The Amazing Wireframe Shader/Scripts/TheAmazingWireframeGenerator.cs(36,26): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `WIRE_INSIDE' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?​

If there is something simple I can do to fix this, please let me know. If you need me to troubleshoot, then I apologize but I won't be able to until tomorrow. I really like the shader so far and understand that with big updates come brand new problems so I can't blame you. Thank you for all your hard work!

EDIT: I fixed this by completely uninstalling and reinstalling.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  12. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

Hello, first of all congratulations for the release of version 2, that seems to improve and be even better.

As put on the quote above, on february 2015 I already bought your great and well done shader, but have been waiting all this time until maybe you could add the option in version 2 to be able to remove the internal wireframe, I mean that the wireframe does not show the internal triangles, only the edges of the polygons?

Now finally you have finished version 2, so wanted to know if this may be possible, or it could be possible in a possible future update. I think that this would be really great and useful if it could be done and a boost for your shader that could be used in much more places if you can avoid showing all the triangles.

thanks for any help and I send you maybes wishes for this new version and that you can sell a lot

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
    Cascho01 likes this.
  13. KeithT

KeithT

Thanks for the update but......

We are working with large meshes generated from point clouds which are split up by the Unity importer into several meshes. Mesh generation fails every time with the new version :eek:(

Editing these meshes by hand is a non starter.

14. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Yes, you should have completely uninstalled previous version. It is written in Release Notes. Glad you could fix it.

Wireframe is rendered only as triangles :oops: no edge detection.

With previous version it also will fail.
    Barycentric are generated per-vertex and all three vertices of triangle must have unique coordinates. If it is impossible generator splits vertex and increase vertex count.
    While generator does its best to minimize addition vertex count, sometimes it can not be done because of mesh vertex/triangle structure (how good generator handles optimization you can check in run-time example scene).
    If you can not split it by hand, may be use some editor script?

15. Cipic01

Cipic01

16. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Cipic01 likes this.
  17. Cipic01

Cipic01

Thank you !

18. NFB_VM

NFB_VM

Updated to Wireframe Shader 2.01 with Unity 5.4.0b10 and am now getting the following errors:

Assets/VacuumShaders/The Amazing Wireframe Shader/Scripts/TheAmazingWireframeGenerator.cs(19,12): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `WIRE_INSIDE' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

Shader error in 'VacuumShaders/The Amazing Wireframe/Projector': Can't find include file ../cginc/Wireframe_Core.cginc at line 54 (on )

19. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Delete previous version before updating. Check release notes.
    No support for Unity beta versions.

20. Cross22

Cross22

Pass the normal from vertex shader to the fragment shader. Then use ddx/ddy(i.normal) to check if the tangent vectors along x/y exceeds a given threshold. If so you've got an edge :)

Hormic likes this.
  21. chilton

chilton

Hi,

I tried applying the free shader to other objects like my own meshes, and it does not work.

From reading the forums here, it sounds like the full version builds some kind of special mesh for this, based on my existing meshes, is that correct?

-Chilton

22. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Check ReadMe file inside free shader package.

23. evr

evr

Hi Davit,

I followed your steps to implement the shader but can't get it to work in my project. I've attached a pdf with the details. Just wondering for any help or advice.

Attached Files:

24. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

There are only two steps:
    1. Generate barycentric coordinates for mesh
    2. Use wireframe shader on mesh with barycentric coordinates

What exactly does not work?

25. gaiomed

gaiomed

Hi,

I just bought your plugin and was wondering how I could use it in a multi pass rendering, so I have a displacement and tessellation before and then would like to apply your shader.
    I tried to combine the shaders in one file but it renders my test object twice once with displacement and tessellation and another with your solid wireframe...
    Any ideas how I could achive what I am looking for? How to pass along the displaced vertices?
    For Tessellation I use PBS Tessellation Pro Plugin.
    best,
    Robert

26. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Unfortunately tessellation shaders currently are not supported by Wireframe shader and I can not even give you any advice, need some research.

27. davegirdy1

davegirdy1

I purchased the shader and immediatly ran into the "During generating barycentric coordinates mesh vertex count may increase and if it is more then 65.000 – conversion will fail." problem. Is there any workarounds for this? Thanks.

28. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Barycentric are generated per-vertex and all three vertices of triangle must have unique coordinates, if it is impossible generator splits vertex and increase vertex count.
    While generator does its best to minimize additional vertex count, sometimes it can not be done because of mesh vertex/triangle structure (how good generator handles optimization you can check in run-time example scene).
    Solution is mesh split, using custom editor script or some 3D application.

29. davegirdy1

davegirdy1

Thanks for the response. I will split my mesh into smaller chunks before going Barycentric.

30. davegirdy1

davegirdy1

Hi, is it possible to use the original vertex colors of the mesh when showing the wireframe? I attached a screen shot where the left side is original mesh, and right side is wireframed mesh... but the wireframe is using colors of the original mesh. So far I have only been able to get one color out when using Amazing Wireframe Shader. Thanks.

Attached Files:

• mesh.png
      mesh.png
      File size:
      630.5 KB
      Views:
  31. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Wireframe is always one solid color and it can't use mesh vertex color.

32. D-Coy

D-Coy

Hey Arkhivrag,
    Returned to my wireframe project to test V2 of your shader and just wanted to say that youve done a great job, very versatile and a worthy update.
    Cheers,

Ed

Arkhivrag likes this.
  33. heff

heff

downloaded the test version, but can't seem to get wireframes to appear on transparent meshes. I will need to fade in the wireframe by itself, then fade in the mesh as the wireframe disappears. Is this possible with the full version?

34. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Yes.

35. KenGamesDevelopment

KenGamesDevelopment

Hi there, I have a bit of a problem... errr question. So, I currently have an app ready to roll-out, and I'm testing in on my local device (being a Windows Phone 8.1). On desktop, the wireframe renders just fine, however on my mobile device it renders a solid purplish (null?) color. Any tips on how I could fix this, or is my device just not supported? Thanks!

36. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

First of all download and try free sample shader on your device, if it works then we will continue finding solution.

37. KenGamesDevelopment

KenGamesDevelopment

Thanks, I just tested that sample shader, the troll example, and deployed it to my WindowsPhone. The model showed up completely solid purple, just like from my full version that I've been using to develop my app.

38. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

If free sample shader does not rendered on your device means that it does not support features required by shader.
    Same will do shaders from the full version.

39. BizDevelopment

BizDevelopment

Hey, any way I can use this shader in a terrain? I have a interactive art project that needs this function =)

40. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

Thanks, will this Wireframe be sometime in the future be updated to be able to have edge detection and be able to hide internal triangles? It would be a really great and awesome thing if it would be possible because as far as I know there is no other asset that is able to make this.

thanks

kenshin likes this.
  41. AlterHaudegen

AlterHaudegen

Amazing asset! Quick question: How can I achieve a gradient effect with a dynamic mask?

What I want:
    Screen Shot 2016-08-11 at 09.40.46.png

What I get:
    Screen Shot 2016-08-11 at 09.41.08.png

Or is this not done via dynamic mask? If not, texture alpha?
    Thanks for any advice.

42. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

No terrain, only meshes.
    May be convert terrain into mesh?

43. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Check Example_2 (Mask - Plane) BattleBus scene.

44. AlterHaudegen

AlterHaudegen

Thank you for your reply. Looking at that scene and experimenting with it a lot, reading some of the shader code (I'm decidedly not a shader expert), I could not find a way to make the cutoff by the dynamic mask smooth (as in using a falloff/gradient). How was that achieved in the old bus demo?

45. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Smooth gradient has been removed from v2.0
    It had some limitations, it was obstacle for Dynamic masking.

46. AlterHaudegen

AlterHaudegen

I see. Is there a way to put them back in or add them to a future release? The hard cutoff just does not make for very compelling animations...

Would it be possible to gain access to the old code as well?

47. jamesbdh

jamesbdh

Hey, really liking the shaders so far, I'm looking to use something similar to the projector example but with the effect inversed so the projection reveals the texture on a wireframe environment. I know this is a bit more complicated, but any help would be great.
    Thanks.

*Edit*

I've managed to invert the effect by creating a new mask, is it possible to get the projector shader to show wireframe only?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  48. AlterHaudegen

AlterHaudegen

Another question if I may: Does anybody have any experience using this shader with HoloLens? Whenever I want to display the wireframe the whole mesh simply takes that color.

49. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

There is no old code, just what's in the Asset Store. Code (shader) is self is open and can be modified.

Not tested on HoloLens, it's unclear what problem may be the there.

50. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Yes, it is possible.
    Wireframe is projected on existed mesh, which can be hidden by simple transparent or cutout shader.

Note,
    If shader has tag "IgnoreProjector"="True" it will not receive projector's shader, remove that tag (built-in transparent and cutout shaders have that tag).

Code (CSharp):
    1. Shader "Simple Transparent"
    2. {
    3.     SubShader
    4.     {
    5.         Tags{ "Queue" = "Transparent" "RenderType" = "Transparent" }
    6.         LOD 100
    8.         ZWrite Off ColorMask RGB
    10.         Pass
    11.         {
    12.             Blend Zero One
    14.             CGPROGRAM