Search Unity

Games [WIP] Wrestling Game (+ Simple Avatar/Animation System)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by RuskinGambers, Jul 4, 2017.

1. RuskinGambers

RuskinGambers

Greetings!

I'd like to share my progress in developing a 3D wrestling game, inspired by the late 90's N64 AKI games and everything since. So far I've drank my way, single handed, through the following:

• Extremely simple characters consisting of 11 joints (no wrists/hands/ankles/feet/spine, which is actually a huge negative for a game in this genre... What was I thinking!? Luckily, (as always) it's expandable.
    • A few simple sliders in a custom editor adjust the model, e.g. nose, chin, jaw, hair, chest.
    • Slider/model data are embedded into the skin .bmp making mods self contained and easy to share.
    • Adjusting the model sliders re-maps the uv's rather than deforming the texture.
    • Simple IK for arms & legs and custom editor for creating animations inside Unity.
    • Animations can contain multiple Avatars and include events system, e.g. for playing sounds.
    • Animations are saved into my own format and are handled by my own manager which ensures they are loaded only once and shared between Avatars where necessary.
    • Here's a video of me editing a character, creating a rubbish animation and adjusting a suplex:
    Gameplay:
    • State based character system
    • Movement, running, blocking & interaction.
    • Strikes to running, idle and floored opponents.
    • Grapples from facing, behind, running & floored position. Transition to/from any combination
    • Aerial attacks from the corners.
    • Pin & Submission maneuvers.
    • AI with variable difficulty.
    • Rules & Match setup; up to 4 competitors or teams per match. Elimination (team or individuals) or 1st fall wins.
    • Player stats effecting Speed, Power, Intelligence etc. Strikes and grapples can target specific stats and the damage dealt is calculated using both attacker and defender stats.
    • Here's some videos taken over the past few months:
    As you can see, there's a lot of work to be done. I'm a 1 man team with a full time job and an appetite for the pub so this project gets slotted in "here and there" but I'm pleased with progress so far. Soon I'm going to have to decide for good on an art style, I'm currently thinking 1995 but would love to hear your thoughts whilst I decide what "1995" even means. Once that's settled I'll start pouring in some character & animation content until I have a playable demo. More to follow hopefully!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  2. AaronVictoria

AaronVictoria

I played the AKI/THQ N64 games religiously as a kid, so this is something I really look forward to.

RuskinGambers likes this.
  3. RuskinGambers

RuskinGambers

Cheers man! It's probably going to be approaching the scale of World Tour rather than No Mercy but we'll see how it goes :)

Here's a short clip featuring some progress on the AI, Teams & Rules system. I'm going to have a re-think on the damage/down-time attributes next.

AaronVictoria likes this.
  4. noahmilam

noahmilam

This is great!

I am trying to something very similar and was wonder if you could help me out.
    I would like to know how you did the animations (did you create them) and how did you get the 2 players animations to sync up like that.

Any insight would be great.

5. RuskinGambers

RuskinGambers

Thanks! I created a custom editor for my animations, you can see it on the right hand side of the first video (after I finish ruining the guys face). This means they are currently incompatible with unity's humanoid animation system. I'm keeping a close eye on this though: https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/f...tal-feature-gameobjectrecorder-2017-1.467852/

As far as keeping them in sync, the aggressor adds the opponent as a child and controls the frame rate for both animations. The "giving" and "receiving" of each move are two separate files.

noahmilam and theANMATOR2b like this.
  6. Foestar

Foestar

Awesome work! This brings back some memories of old N64 wrestling games with my buddies.

7. RuskinGambers

RuskinGambers

I've done some more work on stats/damage, AI and match rules. Here's a 4-way elimination match with 3 AI opponents:

8. maynationjimeneye

maynationjimeneye

looking foward to seeing this develop. Im currently doing a 3rd person wrestling game based on Royal Rumble for Dreamcast, Smack down 1 & 2.