Search Unity

1. We're looking for feedback on Unity Starter Kits! Let us know what you’d like.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2017.2 beta is now available for download.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity 2017.1 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Introducing the Unity Essentials Packs! Find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Check out all the fixes for 5.6 on the patch releases page.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Help us improve the editor usability and artist workflows. Join our discussion to provide your feedback.
    Dismiss Notice

[WIP] Tower/Castle Kit

Discussion in 'Works In Progress' started by Takkik, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Takkik

Takkik

Hello, working on a modular kit for tower/castle environments. I've done some basic blocking, trying to keep everything working on a 1m grid. I wonder what is better for the pivot of individual pieces, at center(bottom) or in a corner (actual)? I'm using character from one of unity sample project, scaled at 2.5m high.

First I worked with top-down view in mind, but I don't know if it's possible to hide some mesh without affecting the the shadows/GI of Unity 5? Or do I need to think like Manufactura 4 for the interiors (separate scene like old school rpg)? Or stick to a 3rd/1st person view?

Inspiration:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Takkik

Takkik

Returning to my project after a long pause. Working on textures, trying to etablish the style. Nothing finalised.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Serinx

Serinx

I like the textures, clean with a sort of clay look. Nice job :)

4. Takkik

Takkik

Thanks for the comment Serinx. In fact the clay look wasn't expected and didn't really noticed until you pointed it out. Still trying to figure the style.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Old & New style
    [​IMG]

increased the tilling
    [​IMG]

5. Takkik

Takkik

New ground texture.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. ensiferum888

ensiferum888

You're extremely talented, I wish I could make textures half as good as this!! Keep up the great work!!

7. ecurtz

ecurtz

Really nice texture work. Your tower is massive compared to the example model (Tabletop Worlds?), especially if the character is 2.5 meters tall.

8. Takkik

Takkik

Thx guys.

ensiferum888: I'm new to texturing, still experimenting. But i'm happy if that already look interesting.

ecurtz: the tabletop picture is just here as a rough guide. It's too small for actualy old any gameplay, or need to do some Tardis magic like in old days, larger interior than exterior :rolleyes: So let's say it's a dungeon/keep instead of a tower. Base mesh and design will change before the end.

9. Takkik

Takkik

Experimenting with decals

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Takkik

Takkik

Months already passed and trying new art style. Full Substance designer this time.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Takkik

Takkik

Continuing to explore textures creation with substance designer.

Bricks with a damage slider:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Base rock texture
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't know if I should come back to zbrush/stylized or continue to a more realistic path with substance.

12. l0cke

l0cke

Realistic.

13. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Hmm. Ok. I saw the first image, I thought, wow that's great. Then I saw the rest, and... sorry to judge but it is absolutely nowhere near, so I felt let down. Oh well. What you've done is okay.. keep striving to get closer to the inspiration though.

Mister-D and Martin_H like this.
  14. Takkik

Takkik

Thank for the feedback imaginaryhuman. I know i'm far from the standard i'm aiming at. Will post soon a better breakdown/plannification and work from it. I wish to emulate the miniature feeling in 3D + pbr.

Some time now i'm working on photogrammetry for scanning assets to use in my project or perhaps even sell solo if people are interested. I want to plan some new photos shoot this fall so i've decided to make quick preview from older no optimal photos (low pixel density and the 2 last ones got some serious errors) so I could prepare better capture and list what to shoot based of feedback.

christoph_r likes this.
  15. Takkik

Takkik

christoph_r likes this.
  16. HarleyW

HarleyW

I really like the look of the textures done with Substance Designer :) I think you're using it well - the results have less noticeable tiling, and more realistic damage

Voltarrens likes this.
  17. Takkik

Takkik

18. Takkik

Takkik