Search Unity

WIP The Misfits 3rd Person Shooter Project currently in development by PigDog Games

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by PigDog-Games, Jun 25, 2016.

1. PigDog-Games

PigDog-Games

Greetings Community,

We haven't posted here in a while just wanted to show you where we are in development of The Misfits. We just recently started a new IndieGoGo campaign and are on our way to early access on Steam in a few months. Here are some dev vlogs to get you caught up. We've added new maps, revised the characters, added light classes, new weapons, character/weapon skins made changes to our game modes, player mechanics and the list goes on. I've you would like to join us in the Pre-Alpha, jump into our discord and we will set you up with a key. Let us know what you think...

PigDog Team

Discord: http://www.discord.gg/qn3h6Px

VLOG Update-41

We are showing off footage from our latest play-test, announcement to our IndieGoGo sign up. Thanks for your support!

Nathan The Bog Arena (Day)
    Updated character Nathan in The Bog map.

Contract Killers Game Mode BT Construction (Day)
    Contract Killers Game Mode in BT Construction map.

IndieGoGo Sign-ups
    Please help support The Misfits on our IndieGoGo camapign.

Click Me For TheMisfits IndieGoGo

The Misfits is a stylized third person arena shooter game with one thing in mind...Kill or be Killed. Take advantage of cover, weapon pickups and communication to destroy the opposing team. For our full release, we plan to ship with 8 unique maps and several team oriented game modes. If you're into team-based game-play with a comic book feel, then show your support on, IndieDB, Twitter, Facebook, Discord and our YouTube channel. Don't forget to like and subscribe for the latest development V-Blog. Thanks for watching!

Join our discord community to organize player matches. Our weekly play-tests are currently on Wednesdays at 3:00pm PST Friday at 10:00am PST and Sunday 7:00pm PST with additional planed in the future. Follow me on Twitch for dev content streams and play tests...

Links to our Social Media
    SteamGreenlight

Twitch

Youtube

Twitter

Discord

Facebook

Company Website

Cheers,

PigDog Team

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Gametyme likes this.
  2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

The character controller, character models and animations all look well done.
    Except - the grenade throw animation.
    It reminds me of a commercial

Lol - not really that bad - but compared to the other quality animations the grenade throw stands out because it isnt as polished.

Erathor likes this.
  3. PigDog-Games

PigDog-Games

Hahaha Thanks!

4. zenGarden

zenGarden

I like a lot the look and style of your game :)
    TPS are not new, will you bring new gameplay on your game ?
    What shaders are you using ? Did you code yourself the TPS gameplay ?

5. PigDog-Games

PigDog-Games

Hi zenGarden,

Thanks for the feedback. We have several gameplay features and mechanics planned for the game that will seem familiar but with a few twists. As for the TPS gameplay, we've used several asset store products and adjusted and added code to fit our needs.

Cheers,

6. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Fx looks pretty nice
    The smoke from the barrel of the guns looked odd when reloading.
    Could tell it was planer mapped particles.
    I'm not sure polygonal characters are visually appealing for this type of game. Doesn't really add to the aesthetic in any way. Why are they shaded like that?

7. PigDog-Games

PigDog-Games

We've made a ton of progress in a short time and will continue to refine and update the game. We know we have miles to go and we know the game definitely can be improved. As for aesthetic, we are not going for a realistic shooter. We are going for a more stylized look. Hope that answers your questions. Thanks for the feedback!

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  8. Lansing

Lansing

I dig the art style, reminds me a little of borderlands. Can I make a suggestion though? Maybe remove the crosshair from the main gui and move it out ahead of the character a bit. Attach another panel to the end of the weapon and place it there?

9. PigDog-Games

PigDog-Games

We are still addressing the UI at this point. We can definitely improve on it for sure. Thanks for the feedback!

10. zenGarden

zenGarden

The levels look nice.
    What about trying to use thinner cartoon edges ? How does it looks ?

11. PigDog-Games

PigDog-Games

Were still adjusting that... :)

12. zenGarden

zenGarden

It looks great :)

13. PigDog-Games

PigDog-Games

Thanks ZenGarden. We are working hard to get this demo out...

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  14. zenGarden

zenGarden

You have no choice , game dev is only hard work :D , anyway you got already a strong base made the hardest part, next is new maps and polishing.

What about a second camera view at player side when he is zomming or aiming with a weapon ?

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  15. PigDog-Games

PigDog-Games

LOL! Still a ton of work to be done... Camera is something we are looking at. Thanks for the feedback!

16. zenGarden

zenGarden

It would be nice if we could *drive the small quads on some level parts.
    Keep up the good work, you are doing great.

17. zenGarden

zenGarden

Nice progress.
    Will you include badges ability or classes ? fast air dash for example, better armor or whatever.

18. PigDog-Games

PigDog-Games

We don't plan on having character classes in the game. We will have achievements, character skins, weapon attachments and skins that you can unlock as you level up. Think of the game as a multi-player Gears/Uncharted/Call of duty hybrid with a day/night cycle.

19. ToshoDaimos

ToshoDaimos

First impression: Borderlands clone. That means it looks good! ^_^

I think in your videos you should focus on showing what makes you stand out from the zillion other shooters out there. I watched one video and you seemed to be bored and were rambling about fixing bugs.

PigDog-Games likes this.
  20. PigDog-Games

PigDog-Games

Thanks for the feedback. I'll be sure to ramble less and be a little more upbeat. I'm a developer kinda new to the YouTube personality thing... :)

21. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

I really like what you guys have completed so far. The visual aspects of the game look really good. Even my comment before about the flat shaded characters have been addressed with either different shaders or new character models
    (I can't remember what the originals looked like, but I think they were more polygonal).

It seems - to me - there is something(s) missing from the game.
    A genuine question - with your short description above - is this really something that will sell to very many people, who already have these options in the current games they play?
    I'm normally not a FPS fan because I'm not into online multiplayer games, so I might not know, what I don't know. :)
    But beyond the nice looking visuals which is in every other high quality shooter, is the only thing your game offers beyond other FPS games is a day and night cycle?
    That doesn't sound like a very deep or "sellable" feature list.

IMO - without being a fps fan, I think story is the missing element to this game in its current state.

However being an artist - I really like the visuals you've put together, and polished over the course of development. Real nice job on that front.

22. zenGarden

zenGarden

I don't like the water splash effect when walking on water, it looks too cheap. When players are near each other, quick melee attack should be automatic or available ?
    Actually it is good, but it's common and kinda already seen game., levels are too horizontal, they lack vertical gameplay.
    Do you plan more dynamic level gameplay ? like moving platforms, dynamic traps, destructible covers or walls ?

Anyway good work.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  23. PigDog-Games

PigDog-Games

I'm glad you noticed the melee attack on one of the kills. If you look at all our maps we have elevated sections like rooftops, sniper perches, and ground you can get to and jump across. game play two to three stories in each map. Anything higher then that, the player will have a hard time scanning during combat. I can see if we had air vehicles this would make sense. As for the moving platforms, dynamic traps we've thought about this as well and may add some things in the near future. Destructible cover and walls are something that we may plan for, but not everything will be destructible because we don't want the environment to fall apart. Thanks for the feedback!

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  24. PigDog-Games

PigDog-Games

Thanks it was a bit more polygonal but we decided to up-res the characters. We are a Third Person Shooter not an FPS, so that is a plus. We do have some similarities with some games, but then again you can say that about every game in existence. We do also have some unique game modes and mechanics planned. We are also planning adjustments to the common game modes to spice it up. Having options in games are awesome, because you may like a certain mechanic or game mode in one game, but its not in another. I think if you look at our feature list, we are planning quite a bit for such a small team of six. At the moment we are not planning for a single player campaign on this iteration of the game. Perhaps we can do some episodic content in the future. Thanks for the feedback!

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  25. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Seems like your team has some pretty good artists.
    Are you considering any type of story elements in the game at all, or character background information? Anything to make the players have more attachment to the characters. I think the characters are pretty iconic looking - they aren't generic soldiers and they have some interesting characteristics that make them look more appealing than other generic shooters. They look interesting, but is there going to be any supporting story or info about them? It would be a shame to treat them as soldier fodder like CoD games or other shooters that don't have any background other than jump in and play PvP

Maybe even small info on a character select screen to provide just a minimal amount of background for the characters would give the players information about them and provide a little more 'buy in' to the characters they like to use in the game.

If no story elements or background information about the characters in-game is an option at this point, maybe consider some supporting assets outside the game - that could add to the overall experience of the players getting info about the players - first thought that came to mind was a small web comic for each character.

My ignorance in online shooters is showing. :oops: How did borderlands handle PvP? Though with the large single player campaigns - character background wasn't an issue I'm sure for any of the borderland games.

26. PigDog-Games

PigDog-Games

Greetings Community,

We haven't posted here in a while just wanted to show you where we are in development of The Misfits. We just recently started a new IndieGoGo campaign and are on our way to early access on Steam in a few months. Here are some dev vlogs to get you caught up. We've added new maps, revised the characters, added light classes, new weapons, character/weapon skins made changes to our game modes, player mechanics and the list goes on. I've you would like to join us in the Pre-Alpha, jump into our discord and we will set you up with a key. Let us know what you think...

PigDog Team

Discord: http://www.discord.gg/qn3h6Px

zenGarden likes this.
  27. zenGarden

zenGarden

Good work guys, the game looks great :)
    The levels look more detailled , the game reminds me a bit of XIII the game.

It is some crouch and glide to any direction move ?
    Will level have interaction ? explosive barrels , destroyable covers or walls , mines, C4 , traps you can activate from distance shooting a trigger etc ...
    Will the game have perks you unlock through session play making special actions ?
    For example make three stealth kills and you gain cloak ability , jump from heights some times to gain super jump and more.
    Do you plan some Battle Royale mode ?

Anyway, the game plays nicely, keep up the good work.