Search Unity

Games [WIP] The Gun Nut [Weapon Building Game]

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by JTrocks55, Aug 14, 2017.

1. JTrocks55

JTrocks55

Link to the game's page is towards bottom!

Hello! So I started developing this game about a month and a half ago, and I think it is coming along quite nicely.

In The Gun Nut, your goal is simple; make the best gun you can imagine! You go into the editor, add and arrange your components, and if the look and stats are to your liking, save it and fight some robots with it!

All weapon stats are listed, and they are determined by what parts you have on your weapon.

Level up to unlock new components, earn scrap metal (the game's currency) to buy the parts, and make an even better weapon!

It is early in development, but I try to balance each update's stability and new content as best I can. There are currently 2 maps, there are 3 game-modes, and a decent amount of components so far. You can see screenshots, a video, and test the game yourself (free) here!
    Please leave any feedback you may have, bugs you find, or any comments, and I would love to hear!

Note: Controls are listed in the settings menu.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  2. Serinx

Serinx

Hey this looks really interesting! I'll give it a go tonight.

I recommend you add some pictures/videos to your post to gain more interest.

3. JTrocks55

JTrocks55

Ok thanks :) And will do!

4. Serinx

Serinx

Hey @JTrocks55

So I had a go at your game. Got to say, I love the concept. I like the freedom you have when building the weapons. Here's my second creation (after I earned some scrap)
    megauzi.png

Is there a limit to the amount of barrels? Haha. I didn't find it :p

And here it is in action:

It was a bit of fun once I got there but there is room for improvement. Here are a few notes just based on my experience.

-Building the gun is a little frustrating with the camera controls/snapping. Simply tapping a movement key is too sensitive and makes it difficult to position the camera properly. Perhaps a camera that only rotates around the gun and zooms in/out would be better.
    -Scrap is too hard to earn with your first pistol. I could only kill about 10 bots before dying and I didn't get any scrap rewards! You have to kill them all before getting scrap which makes it very difficult to progress. I ended up doing the survival mode a few times and just running out the timer to get my initial scrap.
    -I couldn't change the resolution to 1080p?
    -The art style is a bit bland but I understand you're probably not focusing on that now
    -Scrapping my weapon did not give any scrap - although the weapon stayed as my primary weapon

I think this could be a great game and an original idea and I'd love to see how it progresses. Looking forward to more updates!

5. JTrocks55

JTrocks55

Haha yeah there is no limit to barrels. I will probably need to add a limit otherwise the game becomes far too easy later on. And thanks for the feedback!

-I will try that for sure on the camera! I agree actually, I have a hard time myself. So I will try a restricted rotating camera with zooming.
    -I will definitely be working on the difficulty for new players.
    -I will add 1080p to the options! Still working on the settings in general, so thanks for pointing that out!
    -The art style is definitely not my #1 concern right now, but it needs to be "set in stone" pretty soon for sure. I was thinking of going with a vibrant and exaggerated art style. Not sure how to explain it but I see it in my head!
    -Scrapping the weapon does not give scrap (I forgot to mention that, my bad) but what you can do is remove all the parts (pressing X while hovering the mouse over a part) and you get that scrap back. I am going to make "scrapping the weapon" give you scrap back today, so it will no longer be a problem.

So thank you for the notes, and I will be working on these things! I'm glad you like the concept though. I am trying to make my own system unique and original in itself, in a way I haven't seen done before.

Serinx likes this.
  6. JTrocks55

JTrocks55

A new update is out! Here is the change list:

In this update, I focused on refining some aspects of the game in general.

-Added 2 new resolution settings. 1920x1080 and 2560x1440.

-Rewrote most of the code for dealing with loadouts. Scrapping weapons now returns its actual value in scrap, you can change a weapon's loadout slot and it takes that weapon out of whichever slot it was in previously, and overall the system is much more stable.

-Made the first map a bit easier for beginners so it doesn't feel extremely hard to collect scrap when you are first starting.

-Improved the editor. The camera now rotates around a single point where you can build your gun, so it isn't too snappy/hard to control. Mouse wheel now zooms, and left control + mouse wheel now moves the part you are dragging closer or farther.

Serinx likes this.
  7. JTrocks55

JTrocks55

Update 15 is out!

8. JTrocks55

JTrocks55

So, I haven't released this yet, I still want to work on it some more, but here is some testing of the new aim-down-sights system!

Whiteleaf and Serinx like this.
  9. Serinx

Serinx

The camera changes are much better, nice work :) Aiming down sights will be a nice addition. Maybe a map with a sniper tower and enemies spawning in the distance would be a good way to test it out too.

Whiteleaf and JTrocks55 like this.
  10. JTrocks55

JTrocks55

Yeah haha, that could be cool!

Also, I have finally added the new graphics to the game that I wanted! The game actually has an art style now and it's exactly what I was hoping to achieve! Now I just need to recreate some models and make it all fit :) You can see screenshots, a video, and play it yourself on the page linked in the original post. Let me know what you think!

11. JTrocks55

JTrocks55

I have released some more changes and fixes! You can see the new change logs on the website!

12. JTrocks55

JTrocks55

Update 17.2 is out, and I have greatly improved the 2 maps!

13. JTrocks55

JTrocks55

Update 18 is out! This one was pretty big. A new gamemode and a graphics update!

14. JTrocks55

JTrocks55

I have released update 19! Quite a bit of good stuff in this update!