Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Assets SENTIERI - [BETA 0.5] - Terrain Procedural Path Creator for Roads, Rivers and more

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by antoripa, Nov 27, 2016.

?

Would you like to see a dymic terrain blend in real time while you are in Edit Mode ?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. antoripa

antoripa

Hello guys,
    just started to build a new tool : SENTIERI
    It will allow the creation of track for roads and rivers. It is fully integrated with GAIA for terrain creation. Asset has even an internal system to build road and river and other.

Workflow allow you to just put on the terrain at least two points of interest that you would connect with a route. Tool seeks for the smooth track between those points considering the slopness and the distance. It works even in runtime where you can setup your POI to connect. That's very usefull in case you have procedural terrain created at run time.

As mentioned above, you do not need to draw your track, just the point of interest on your terrain you would connect with road or you would see a river inside. System will create the full route by itself.

Goal is to have a really easy to use tool, but with AAA quality.

You can watch the proof of concept that has driven the project startup
    In the proof of concept, terrain was created with GAIA , the path for the track was created with SENTIERI.

More details in the Trello board :
    https://trello.com/b/0Q7gsJiS/wip-procedual-terrain-track-generation

My goal is to give my small contribute, coming from my 20 years professional experience in IT, to Unity world. To do that stay in touch with community is really crucial. So, I have created a DIscord channel and I hope you can join me there

https://discord.gg/ct6hDDv

Your feedback is really appreciated to enhance the tool with the most friendly feature and the best realism.

EDIT
    I am happy about the progress .. Since the time I wrote this post, a lot of progress. SENTIERI is going to be more than the original plan. It will alow to create a procedural journey in your world ...soon I will launch the Beta program. I hope you will join that

Cheers,
    Antonio

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  2. Tryz

Tryz

I thought it was cool how the terrain was adjusted to help fit the road!

I think that looks really good and will be a huge time saver.

3. Mark_T

Mark_T

As previously mentioned, would it be possible to build junctions?
    A few more suggestions:
    - ability to work in the editor
    - options to tweak the width of the road, from 6 lanes highways to a small walking path in a forest. In meters will be better, me thinks.
    - options to change the textures on the road after the built is done, or in the preview?
    - I noticed in the video the road was hot perfectly horizontal oriented. maybe having an option or percentage based to how much to follow the slope would be useful, with a bit of noise added, more or less, to have different behaviors on the road. lets say on a coastal area will be following the slope more than compared to the inland hills.
    - the ability to work on meshes too, not only on terrains
    - use projection maps to mask the terrain in case you don't want having road in certain areas, or to break/crack the road/asphalt in places, or even to apply different textures, like on the side of the road, in the middle, on bridges, if that would be possible.
    - if the tool works on meshes too, the ability to export the new mesh for the road only as being added on top, or export hte entire mesh terrain.
    If you need beta testers, I'm more than willing to help. :)
    Thanks!

leviya and antoripa like this.
  4. antoripa

antoripa

Hi Mark,
    thanks for coming up with those points. All are valid one.
    I am going to create a Trello project and share that. I have my view on the topic, but getting feedback from users is crucial to create a valid tool that can bring benefit in everyboday gaming workflow.
    New videos will come to show the progress and get feedback.

In the meanwhile, please find below my answer. I hope are what you expected.

You can already do those.

In the video I have used a thirdy part asset to generate the mesh of the road.
    So far the tool compatible with other asset that are more specific to "build" the road. But one point of the plan is to embed few components to build the roads, not only to generate the track. In any case, you can post-process whatever tool you used.

I do not see challenge according to the algorithm I developed, so I am going to include in the TODO List. You will find in Trello project that point.

That's a good point. I can do. My idea is to do directly in the editor ... I wanna give a really smart and friendly tool ...

Yes, I can build that feature.

Yes, I will count on you when I kick off beta stage. Thanks a lot

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
    AliAkbar likes this.
  5. hakankaraduman

hakankaraduman

do you calculate and create waypoints and then use another asset to create roads? such as easyroads?

6. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Looking forward to this! Especially if it is really user friendly! Love the look of what you've posted here and in the Gaia thread!

antoripa likes this.
  7. Mark_T

Mark_T

No worries. :)
    Your concept/early stage presentation is really attractive.
    One other idea it might be to add a bit of noise, masked or not in certain areas, to make the road less straight or add a bit of variation to the smooth line or curves that guide the road.
    Also, maybe having options to the control points to switch from a 2 lane asphalt road to single lane/way road, or even to a forest walking path.

antoripa likes this.
  8. antoripa

antoripa

You can even use an external tool as EasyRoad. But I am building a small road builder. I would give a out of box solution, but open.

AliAkbar and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  9. antoripa

antoripa

Yeah .. your "noise idea is nice" .. I have already incorporated .. thanks ...

10. antoripa

antoripa

Thanks a lot ...
    Please feel free to give your suggestion ...

Cheers,
    Antonio

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  11. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

Just another thumbs up to this project. Plotting the best path for a road, based on slope and other terrain factors, is basically what surveyors do in the real world. It produces more realistic results, taking the terrain into account, than I'd probably get on my own. You mentioned using a third party asset (easy roads? Pro or free?) to make the actual roads, but even if all you do is lay down dirt paths from one POI to another, it still represents a significant time saving over doing it by hand. I'm not sure where you plan to go with this, but I'm certainly interested in any product that gets released. :)

BackwoodsGaming and antoripa like this.
  12. antoripa

antoripa

Hi
    thanks for your feedback. I am in line with you. Primary goal is the creation of the best track on huge terrain. Road building is something on the requirement list, but just to release a full working package that it does not have any contrain from thirdy party tool.
    In anycase package will be fully comptible with EasyRoad Pro ( I do not know if the free version as well becuase there are license contrain ) and other asset that community would like to have.

In the next few days I will record another video showing the Edit features ... and hopefully next week the full plan so commnuniy can interact checking all the features, voting to some point so it will be help me to prioritize the development, propose new features and check the progress ...I hope that it's gonna be a collaborative team work... Thanks.

Cheers,
    Antonio

BackwoodsGaming and FargleBargle like this.
  13. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

I would say 98% of my work will always be fantasy/medieval type worlds. So I'm just looking for a good source to create dirt/stone roads and paths (possibly rivers and streams) that has a UI that is simple enough that I can use. I own some other road assets that sound simple enough but I just can't get my head wrapped around them because the user interface is overly complicated. A simple way to designate start and end points along with a few "along the way" points and then have a script that would look at things from the terrain height under those points to determine the best path to next point and provide a flat width in the terrain along that path would be totally awesome. Maybe have a setting where we can set width. Obviously a path will be more narrow than a single lane road which in turn is more narrow than a two lane lane road, etc..

Anything more than that maybe separate in the UI into an advanced tab. That way those of us just looking for simple roads wont get overwhelmed by a bunch of settings that aren't necessary to us but having in advanced tab will still make them available to those needing more complex road options..

FargleBargle and antoripa like this.
  14. raoul

raoul

Hi antoripa,

I only just saw you started your own thread related to this. Nice work, this video actually does use the EasyRoads3D API, including terrain flattening and tree removal, right? ;)

I like the idea of releasing this, it is currently not on our list to implement.

Raoul

[Edit] Thank you for updating the introductory post now including that EasyRoads3D was used for what I already wrote above, I think it is fair to mention all that in your post given the thread title.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
    antoripa likes this.
  15. antoripa

antoripa

Hi Raoul,
    primary scope of the tool is create the path automatically on terrain just putting start and destination. Here is even an algorithm to blend/shape the terrain becuase need to take care of the overall path, not only local path. Maybe I will include a really basic road generator to not create contrain and release a working package. But I would be happy to build a full compatible tool with an amazing and advanced tool like EasyRoad3D.
    At the moment there are few challenges I have been approaching in "Edit Mode" trying to use ER3Dbeta to build the road, but I am quite sure to achieve that points, even with your supports. Thanks.
    Cheers,
    Antonio

raoul likes this.
  16. raoul

raoul

Hi Antonio,

Yes, it seems you have worked out the path finding really well!

Since the actual road creation and terrain adjustments in the video is done using EasyRoads3D, I thought I jump in, I hope you don't mind :)

Thanks,
    Raoul

antoripa likes this.
  17. antoripa

antoripa

You are welcome ...If it's fine to you I would officially add one more point to my plan : 100% Working with EasyRoad3D .....

raoul likes this.
  18. antoripa

antoripa

Hi guys ....
    just pushed a new video ..It is not high quality video .. but I wanna show you first features I created to work in Edit Mode and check your terrain and path.. Just to explain where I am, terrain is 2Km X 2Km .... please feel free to share with me your feedback ( whatever is ) and your suggestion ... In the video, in the last part I generate the road elements with EasyRoad3D Pro...It's a "terrain road style".. in play mode you will see some spere in the middle of road ... I am using those to improve the blending and showing in the video to check that all is well aligned
    ... more and more in the next coming days ...

Cheers,
    Antonio

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  19. Mark_T

Mark_T

Very nice. The green road preview in Edit mode is nice. Very useful.
    There are 2 very sharp angles on the road at 2:15 and 3:05.
    Shape and texture wise, the road blending with the terrain is very natural.
    It might need a bit of touch to get rid of the very sharp edge where the vegetation was deleted.
    I suppose the road width has nothing to do with the size of the terrain, lets say on a 8x8km terrain I mean if you set the path/road at 2m wide, it'll be 2 m.
    How an 4k or even an 8k heightmap change/shape the road compared with a 2k heightmap on a 2x2 km, considering there is way mode detail on an 8k map.
    I would also want to see a demo/video on a geometry/mesh terrain.
    Will it work an a tiled Unity terrain? Or even on a group/multi object mesh terrain?
    I know you're using another asset and my questions might touch both of them, but as an user, I see this as a single feature: building roads.
    And talking about EasyRoad3D being used at this stage, I think it might be very useful for everyone (developers and users) to keep the symbiotic relation in the future, even if you come up with your own solution. Always better having more options.
    Thanks for the video. Nice work!

BackwoodsGaming and antoripa like this.
  20. antoripa

antoripa

thanks to you ...
    In this stage I am focus on the path creation .. I mean just put my POI on a map and let generate the smooth track according to the MaxSlope and to the short way between our point. And so far so good ...So I am not really focus on sharp angle, but I am happy to hear that there are just two sharp angles..

About the terrain size, if you think locally your view is correct. 2meters are always to meeters .. but if you think globally .. I am connecting points that are hundreds meteers far .. looking for the smart path ... so in that case I have an impact on perfomance ..my goal is to work on really huge terrains .. I do not want to write down size becuase you could not believe me .. so in the next few days .. I will show you a new terrain for my demo video .. picking up a real world zone ..so you can fully count on multi tile terrains ....:)

Next step to implement is ....... ..come on .. I do not hear the Epic Suspenseful Action Music ...

21. Mark_T

Mark_T

Regarding the preview visualization in Edit mode? Would it be possible when I hoover the mouse over the terrain and have the green and red dots, to also use yellow for areas where the road might have cracks or irregular/damaged/chopped edges (masks being used maybe?). Or you might use the yellow preview color for a second angle setting where the probability is smaller but you can still have roads. Something like green where the terrain is less than 10 degrees and yellow between 10-35 degrees. Maybe orange between 35 and 42 degrees? This way you have more control over the road.
    Or maybe having priority settings: - 100% between 15-30 degrees
    - 50% at 0-15 degrees
    - 10% higher than 30 degrees. I intentionally placed the 100% at a steeper slope. :)
    Another preview idea: Display the green/red balls by hoovering the mouse over the terrain, LMB click&keep it pressed while moving the road dot over the terrain and see in real time how the road is changing the shape and position on the terrain.

antoripa likes this.
  22. Mark_T

Mark_T

I was thinking out loud so you can have ideas and feedback. Having an 8K highly detailed heightmap I was suspecting a pretty "snakey" road result.
    Maybe my post was a bit too straight to the point, but you have to know that I like a lot your idea and the way you brought it to life.

antoripa likes this.
  23. antoripa

antoripa

I will use a color gradient ...so this will help you to change the maxslope ..
    My approach in developing a solution is a first approach all the challenges, get feedback and after go back for fine tuning and details...

Just as preview ...path is not limited to roads/rivers ... think to all the kind of track you can have in real world ...

24. antoripa

antoripa

your post was perfect ... I wanna give a solution to who knows the problem... and it is important to go straight to all the points ...

25. antoripa

antoripa

Just trying to give a bit clear info about the Edit Mode.
    Idea is to have the most relevant info on the scene ( the top left box ) that is gonna be dinamic
    You will have that grid and you can change setting with the mouse ( no need to S*** your focus to inspector ).. in the picture the grid gover an area 1248 meters X 1248 meters ..
    In the video ..green points are with slope less than 30degree, red all the others ( not allowed, just in case there is no a path and need to include a bunch of those )
    The green line is the straigh forward connection between to POI.
    The cyan line is the track created ( a trad off betweem most uniform as slopness , most short as distance and no red points )
    I will replace the green red dots with color gradiend and you will beable to visual measure different stuff ...( not only slopness ) .. just switing from pre-set variables pressing keyboards key ... again smart interface always focused on the scene . and it means what you are doing ...
    Immagine.jpg

26. antoripa

antoripa

Hey guys ....
    more features are coming .. Inspector is split out in windows on the scene view. You can toogle those with keyboard .. that's just a part of an easy, customizable and smart UIX ..
    And now ....... you can define multiples tracks ( Ex. Road, River, CountryRoad, etc ) ...
    Below two screenshot two show those features ..
    please share your feedback and any suggestion ...
    this project is really exciting and many many ideas are coming , but goal is to delivery a solution to the community to cover all the gap existing currently .. yes , I know . it's ambitious ... but I wanna have the chance to do that ..

Capture1.JPG

upload_2016-11-30_13-59-10.png

runningbird likes this.
  27. antoripa

antoripa

So ... I hope you can enjoy the below ... The green area is fully used for the track. If there no path between two POI, so the track can use the cyan area ...that use a tollerance ...and you can add more tollerance zone :)

Tomorrow I will add a new features .. you can define on your terrain volumetric areas that you can setup a specific setting that override the one from the track. Ex. If you have a river you can define that if track can go or not go trought the river and select a different setting to render that chunk of track l,, like a bridge .

Untitled.jpg

radimoto, Mark_T, Liens and 2 others like this.
  28. antoripa

antoripa

Hello guys ...
    creation in edit mode is quite ready .. below a quick screeshot I have just shot . .it's hust between 2 points as is from my development enviroment ...
    That can be a road, or a river or trainrail or whatever you want ...below setting is "country road" wigout slope limit ...:)

What do you think ? . it's something usefully for the community ..I hope so ...

Kindly share your feedback, whatever, or suggestion ..

Untitled.jpg

sjm-tech and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  29. antoripa

antoripa

Hey .. I am going to luanch a small poll to check if you guys need a specific feature : real time terrain blending in edit mode.

30. millefoliumink

millefoliumink

This rocks, will it be in the asset store soon?

antoripa likes this.
  31. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Can you get a little better explanation of what you mean. I'm a little confused. (Not hard to do sometimes... heheh)

32. antoripa

antoripa

I am just preparing a sample .. .I will share over the weekend. ..btw .. I am a fan of your stamp packages ..really nice and usefull ...

33. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

I'll keep eye open for it.. :)

And thanks! Glad you enjoy them! New one should be out "soon".. lol I have the stamps done but trying to get stuff set up for arctic feel for screenshots required by asset store.. Hopefully will be submitting no later than end of next week. Next pack is arctic/polar type stamps based off of areas in Alaska.. Have about three other packs after that in the development pipeline as well. Hopefully health will hold out a bit more so I can get back on a regular schedule! If you have any special requests for new packs/ideas, feel free to shoot me a PM and I can see what I can do about adding them to schedule. :)

34. Mark_T

Mark_T

On the bottom right the"Type" setting identifies the track as a river. On the tracking information says "Country road". It.s not a problem because it's in development stages, I understand. Seeing the river setting I was thinking in my mind that it'll be nice for the path to follow/look for the lowest point on the terrain in the near distance, and nest step the same till manages to carve/follow a natural/believable riverbed.
    Would it be possible to demo a river too. maybe with the riverbed becoming wider and wider and snakier lower in the plains. And maybe a second river bed connecting somewhere upstream with the main one.
    Also, I would love to see a demo on a mesh/geometry terrain. Personally I'm mostly interested in mesh terrains.
    Would it be possible to develop/draw/preview the entire intricate road network on the terrain, or onle road by read, one at a time?
    Thanks!

antoripa likes this.
  35. Mark_T

Mark_T

I don't see the pole relevant. If the Editor window becomes sluggish I would rather not, and speed up the road network drawing and press apply. What's the resolution of the heightmap?

36. antoripa

antoripa

Yes , all comes from development enviroment ...About river ..it has a different generator than road .. need the right slope to be realistic ... from top to down .... I will share a demo as soon as possibile ..
    You can develop the entire road network or one per time ... quite flexible ....

37. Mark_T

Mark_T

Cool!
    Any promises on a mesh test?

antoripa likes this.
  38. antoripa

antoripa

Yes ... it's on the list ...I say more becuase on that point I am still defining the requirements. But just this morgning ( Central Europe Time ) I did a successfull test :) ..

39. antoripa

antoripa

Hey .. It looks like it's going to rock ...:cool:
    Edit Mode 100% working ...
    Multiple roads, Max Slope, MaxSlope Tollerance in case there are no path hitting only the MaxSlope , track smoother ( 4 different algorithms ).. and further
    Enjoy the 3 paths ( the blue ones ) .. overall workflow less than one minute ...btw .. area is 1200mX1200m ...o_O

Capture.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  40. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Nice! So is the creator set to look for existing roads and pick those as preferable routes if two paths intersect and go in same direction for a while? Or was that just a happy coincidence with the two paths on the left side of map?

antoripa likes this.
  41. antoripa

antoripa

I do not believe in coincidence ...o_O .I am a deterministic ..

42. Mark_T

Mark_T

That's really good news. Would love to see it.
    Would it be possible to work with more than one mesh at a time, something like 4x4 mesh tiles?

Looks very nice. Is it possible to "draw" many many tracks/roads, something like a small town?
    The settings you mention give me the feeling that you can tweak the roads and get different results. Does it make sense to place some sort of "magnets" and maybe as an second choice some "repelling points" in certain areas.
    What area is 1.2kmx1.2km? The area covered by roads, or the mouse brush?

antoripa likes this.
  43. MrIconic

MrIconic

Does it work with multi-tile terrains?

#watchthread

antoripa likes this.
  44. antoripa

antoripa

Yet, that's correct.
    City Map Generator ...I cannot say more .. just that there will be news by me in next few weeks
    This is already a feature implemented, but with a different approach ...
    Area covered by roads
    I did few test on areas up to 16KmX16Km on a 4 tiles terrain and 17 tiles terrain .. it works but I need to change something to speed up the process ... not sure if the first release will include multitile ..let's see next few days ...

45. antoripa

antoripa

Hey guys ... I have just added one new feature ....
    Virtual Camera Preview ... So you can see a preview on how your track is rendered in gameplay ...:)
    That's is really usefull to adjust your setting with fine tuning without go in playmode ...

I want even give you a first ETA for beta ....19th December 2016 ....

Cheers,
    Antonio

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  46. antoripa

antoripa

Hello guys ..
    I have not published any post for a while. I apologize for that, but it's a full immerions to hit the 19th December for beta.
    A couple of news
    1) Tool is full working in edit and play mode.
    2) You do not need any additional tool to build items for your track ( like roads, rivers, etc ) I have created a base tool to do that. In any case, I will full support ERv3 for more advanced features.
    3) In the picture below I created a track and a road with my new road builder just with 4 mouse clicks :). The Cyan area is terrain blended to harmonize the height and merge the road into the terrain. I am thinking to create a smart shader to improve the results. Just understanding what is the effort. Anyway .. I will record a video over next weekend ...
    4) I promosised to share the tool plan creating a Trello project . I apologize but I have delayed that becuase there are some pending idea from my side. I am going to do in the enxt few days.
    5) I am thinking to release an alpha version for free :) but time limited for 30 days or less.That will not include source code.

Your feedback and suggestions are really appreciated ... so please feel free to share that..

Cattura.jpg

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    tapawafo and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  47. Knightmore

Knightmore

I haven't seen if this has already been asked but does this work across multi terrains or do we have to do each terrain on its own? This could be a bit painfull across the borders.

antoripa likes this.
  48. antoripa

antoripa

It works smoothly across multi terrains . .and even across real time procedural terrain :)

BackwoodsGaming and runningbird like this.
  49. Mark_T

Mark_T

The road is a bit to wide for that terrain and because of that it looks like it has a different scale. If the road together with the cyan blending area is not wider than the white track it will be close to the terrain size/scale.
    Looking forward for the video.

50. antoripa

antoripa