Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Games WIP Small Works Game / Programming Thread

Discussion in 'Projects In Progress' started by Tim-C, Aug 6, 2012.

1. NiloBR

NiloBR

I wait as long as i could for the Unity smart sprite solution... but well... i start to build my own...

drmanhattan, Josh707, acrac and 5 others like this.
  2. Fera_KM

Fera_KM

If you add saturation and hue to that (and a quicksave(overwrite)), I would definitely purchase that plugin from the asset store.

3. hey_m8

hey_m8

I've been working on procedural generation for quite a while now, it first started off trying to generate standard terrain and once that was done it then it turned into trying to generate a planet. I reached a milestone with that a little while ago and decided to take a break (compared to what I've seen on YouTube it looks pretty amateurish but I'm still happy with it and pretty happy with myself that I've made it so far). I started working on a dynamic mesh deformation system (intended for terrain deformation but it can work on any mesh) for a friend which I've recently completed and then I thought to myself putting that system on my planet might be fun. I've linked two videos, one showing the mesh deformation thing and the other showing my procedurally generated planet plus the mesh deformation integrated in it.

Terrain Tool

Planet + Deformation

You can muck around with the tool here: https://hey-m8.itch.io/basic-terrain-tool
    I do want to upload my planet project eventually as well.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
    NiloBR likes this.
  4. NiloBR

NiloBR

More on 2D level editor...

5. AdamAlexander

AdamAlexander

MobaStyle.PNG
    Advanced Health Bars
    I'm working on an asset store package that will add a moba style divided health bar tool. It will be bundled with a simple framework for creating UI panels that follow your gameobjects on screen.

Features
    - Design bars in the editor, set gap colours, intervals, textures etc.
    - Bars are procedural textures, they will automatically render the correct number of gaps and distances between them.
    - Inbuilt Anti Aliasing so you can design very small bars and move them freely on the screen (no pixel snapping) without aliasing or losing gap detail.
    - Animation for burn
    - Ready made prefabs you can drag and drop onto your gameobjects and get started in minutes.

6. Fera_KM

Fera_KM

I had an idea about realtime golf, physics and ragdoll that I wanted to explore.
    It sounded like a good idea, but the first test didn't exactly turn out how I wanted it. :confused:
    Thought I'd share anyhow

7. hey_m8

hey_m8

I really liked what I saw, particularly the first video. What you've got there is something that would be pretty popular with Let's Plays on YouTube. Funny indie games with dodgy ragdoll physics tend to go off. My advice: Be careful of which bugs/features (depending how you look at it) you fix!

8. macdude2

macdude2

I've got to agree with @hey_m8, this looks pretty funny, I've almost no doubt you could get it greenlit even with what you have here. Honestly, a game with good graphics and funny physics would likely do well. I've got to ask, where is that terrain from? It looks pretty sweet!

9. Fera_KM

Fera_KM

@macdude2 @hey_m8
    Well Thanks! I guess.

I believe in it, but even though it was pretty fun to watch, I it didn't feel fun enough to hit the ball, more frustrating and too much randomness. So I did some tweaks to the inital idea, instead of controlling the shoulder joint, you now control the swing, and it finally feels like I have some control over hitting the ball.

I'll figure out how much I want to do with this, and if it's going anywhere at all though, only get a few hours each evening to dabble inn it.

edit: @macdude2 The terrain is just a very quick stencil mockup with Gaia, but of course it helps a lot to have a ton of post filters on the camera, and I guess Aquas and Dynamic Fog helps too, and Skyshop also to a degree.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  10. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Here's what I've been working on today... this will go into High Frontier when a new building appears.

There's still some spit & polish to do, particularly on the printer model, but I'm pretty pleased with it so far. The printer automatically adjusts to fit any building.

Cheers,
    - Joe

Martin_H likes this.
  11. Fera_KM

Fera_KM

Does this mean you have developed a slice modifier for Unity? That works runtime, non the less?

12. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Nope, it means I cheat shamelessly. :) It's not actually slicing the mesh; it's squishing it. First I set all the vertex Y positions to (local) zero. Then, as the print head moves around, I pull up vertices under it, to the minimum of each vertex's original Y and the height of the print head.

But the effect looks pretty great, I think. If you look closely, you can certainly see the difference between this trick and how true slicing would look, but I doubt players are going to care.

LeftyRighty and Martin_H like this.
  13. Fera_KM

Fera_KM

Looks cool non the less, guess it wouldn't pan out just as good with more complex textures though.

14. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

We switch to a generic steel/cement sort of texture during the build, and then apply the real texture after the job is complete. This is mainly because it makes sense — the color on a building is the last thing to go on, in the form of paint or siding or whatever.

Similarly, accescsories like potted plants, patio chairs, etc. don't appear until the end too. (Those are separate models, so we just apply the build process to the main building mesh.)

15. SkyeDragon

SkyeDragon

Animated Pixel Art Icons, in-game shot:

Working on an Icon pack for my game and plan on posting the icons on the unity asset store as fully ready-to-go Prefabs. The lightning / Ice surrounding the two icons in the top left is a separate prefab that you can place around any of the icons. In addition, thinking of creating animated branches for connecting the icons to display progression on upgrade pages for RPG's. Background art might also be created to provide people a nice backdrop for the upgrade tree if they make one, or just use the buttons as UI.

Would love to get feedback and hear what people think. :)

16. rationalist

rationalist

I've been working on hex grid system for strategy game on spherical world, and I think i try to go for Asset Store release with the grid system. I know that there already is couple of similar products in the store, but I think one more wouldn't hurt.

The grid on the picture contains ~65 000 hex tiles (+12 pentagons that are unavoidable for hexagon grid sphere)

Features I have made:
    • Can select 'Level' of the grid: Level means number of hexes in grid. Smallest level (3) has only few hundred hexes and the biggest (level 8) you can see in the pic above. There is total 6 levels.
    • Can select radius of the planet
    • Each neighbor hex of each hex is mapped: it's possible to implement path finding algorithm
    • Can detect hex that mouse hovers
    • Pre-calculated data: Scene loads much faster than using Subdivision process (= algorithm to create the grid on sphere)
    • You can still use Subdivision process if you want to generate even bigger grids (It might take some time and be too much for hardware, just a warning)
    • You can make a prefab of the planet mesh, so it will load the scene even faster
    • You can select number of terrain types and can select texture freely for a terrain type.
    • Can draw grid and toggle it on/off
    • Simple example random map generator
    • Basic code utility for map editor
    • Can instantiate game objects on sphere surface on chosen hex, and they will be oriented correctly
    Some things I'm still working on: Draw (political ) borders, make grid drawing faster (on big planets if you turn grid on fps will drop dramatically at the moment)

Just wondering if there's something I should implement? Better random map generator? Path finder?

Pic from my game: placing trees and mountains and rivers etc can make the world alive:

DOYEO, drmanhattan and tobiass like this.
  17. Bruno2907

Bruno2907

I am working in an asset package to be used in platform games, which makes it possible to have the camera following a custom path during the gameplay. For now I have the code done to work with the Perspective mode, currently working on the orthographic mode. I'm almost finishing it and hope to put it on the asset store really soon.

18. Multidevan13

Multidevan13

19. hellcaller

hellcaller

Sharing my progress with this one:

khos and zugsoft like this.
  20. soufianetafersite

soufianetafersite

I have worked on an interaction system for my game.

The possibilities of the interaction system is currently:
    - Grabbing objects, rotating it, pushing it.
    - Opening drawers
    - Opening doors

iamthwee and hellcaller like this.
  21. Philip-Rowlands

Philip-Rowlands

I've started working on an Editor asset to find null references in a scene. It currently asks for a list of scripts (MonoBehaviours) that you want to check, and if it finds any public fields that are null, it logs them to a text file. It works, but there's a few things I'm considering adding:
    • Configure it to examine all scripts in the scene, if none are specifically selected.
    • Create a customised build process that includes this as a validation step, and stops the build if it finds anything.
    • Extend it to cover uninitialised public strings, floats, integers or booleans.
    It's available on GitHub at the moment, and I may upload to the Asset Store later, if somebody finds it useful. Here's a quick Youtube demo:

22. Deleted User

Deleted User

About a mouth ago, I started work on my first Unity game known as Puffy Mini-Adventures. It will have 10 levels on launch, thus explaining the "Mini-Adventures" name part. Here is my progress: Sorry if it's low quality.

23. Mothil

Mothil

I'm working on some silly slingshot game. I sort of know where I'm going with this, but not really. I just thought about a fun mechanic I wanted to try out.

The way it works is that the first handle of the slingshot is static, and the second one responds to the first touch on the device. Then you can "rotate" the slingshot around, and use a second finger/touch to use the slingshot.

NiloBR likes this.
  24. Tset_Tsyung

Tset_Tsyung

Hey guys 'n' girls,

I feel like my game is at a point where I would like some constructive criticism. What's best to upload? Images? Videos? Or a link to a current working version? The games gonna be free (yeah... like I could charge for this!), just FYI.

Also, I've only been learning Game Dev since January (that's at all! Let alone with Unity), so please be gentle, lol.

25. b4nj0

b4nj0

I customized unity's terrain shader to improve my terrain assets.

This is my new wasteland terrain using the new shader in native Unity

I haven't noticed a big performance difference on my machine.
    I would really like to add tessellation to it, but unity's native tessellation functions don't work in the terrain shader :(
    But for now I'm quite happy with the improvement.

khos, _M_S_D_, drmanhattan and 2 others like this.
  26. soufianetafersite

soufianetafersite

Worked on a third person controller today. Just to see how far I could get in one day with reused locomotion system and footstep system that I already had programmed. Animations and character model are downloaded for free from the unity store.

27. Lamprey

Lamprey

A fully AI driven simulator with sarcastic and gritty visuals and audio. Just for getting my feet wet with Unity2D. Support for 250 vs 250 and beyond on its way, need to optimize!

Martin_H likes this.
  28. ashraf82de

ashraf82de

this is my first game with unity.
    unity.mits-ye.com/car/web/car.html
    its a car racing game. I am a programmer and not good at design. so i decided to concentrate on scripting and make it easy to replace the models later. I am trying to make the drive experience more fun and realistic using wheelcolliders, added shifting system, tcs, abs, nitro, and much more.

until now I posted 2 videos on YouTube to show how to add new car models and new levels to the game.

I am thinking about adding more features as online racing with multiple players.
    I will be happy to hear from you about any improvements or suggestions.

29. dreamwalk_interactive

dreamwalk_interactive

This is Word Invaders - A frantic 8-bit Space Invaders / Words with Friends Mashup we've been working on for about 12 months. Please take a look at the video below and feel free to request a beta version if you'd like to test it and give us feedback. Thanks!

30. SkyYurt

SkyYurt

31. Justice0Juic3

Justice0Juic3

32. Scifa

Scifa

33. tossen

tossen

hello, everyone
    our company is making a new and fun game and we like to get some feedback from you guys, so please try the game and replay what you think, what is missing and what you want in the game in the future.:)

its a match three game you have to swap your finger to cut the same color lines.

so here is the link to the game its just a small demo but some of the game mechanics are there, so I hope you like it.:)
    thanks

http://www.mediafire.com/download/48i3uckdnv20qgs/Color_Match.apk

and dont forget to post your high score because I want to see if there is anyone can get more than my high score (115);)

sorry for not providing a lot of information, but I have a thread for the game so if you can please check it out
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/wip-color-match.427145/

34. Overmind5000

Overmind5000

Hello folks.

This is my first time posting on this thread. Normally I'd do art stuff, but over the past year I've been learning coding in various languages, C# along them. I've begun work on a terrain system separate from that of Unity's for 3 reasons.

1 - I'm fed up with its limitations.
    2 - I think it'll be a good learning experience
    3 - BECAUSE I CAN!!!

Here's a screenshot of what I have so far. At the time, it's just a 32 squared grid with a 16 bit height map displacing the mesh.

35. gamadgames

gamadgames

Was a bit bored of my own projects and tutorials so I created snake 3D in 5 Hours xD

36. the_Bad_Brad

the_Bad_Brad

Space Anomaly

I'm designing a space sci-fi thriller, carrying on the skills I learned from the earlier projects

37. Fall-rAz0r-Out

Fall-rAz0r-Out

Hello, I am currently building a space game with procedurally generated systems and spaceships. It's gameplay style is like freelancer. If you are interested I will post more. At the current moment I am making the scripts more efficient and also finishing the faction system.

Attached Files:

38. hellpirat

hellpirat

Just get some free assets and start working on a runner with the duel battle system . I hope this will my first really good game.

upload_2016-9-4_10-55-40.png

39. acrac

acrac

Hi Mothil,

I think a better user interface will be to determine the 2 anchors of sling shoot from the user touch and drag. The point where he starts the drag will be between the anchors. And the exact positions of the anchors will be on the line perpendicular on the drag line. If you consider drag line the line between first touch and current touch you can rotate the sling. Hope it helps.

Mothil likes this.
  40. DanHedges

DanHedges

Here are a couple of screenshots from a small 2D roguelike I am currently working on. Still quite an early stage at the moment. So far it has the random level generation completed, power system, pickups / power ups, opening / closing doors and tonight I got the path finding completed for the player character (which will also work for the enemies).

The "artwork" is all hand drawn by me... you can tell I am a programmer and not an artist I guess ;-)

The nest step is to get the enemies drawn and added along with the basic AI they will require. Following that it will be adding the combat system (which being a roguelike will be pretty simple) at which point it should be playable and the bulk of the systems will be in place. After that it is a case of adding the xp based progression system and further pickups and enemies ahead of balancing.

41. the_Bad_Brad

the_Bad_Brad

Forest enemy base design

42. the_Bad_Brad

the_Bad_Brad

Designing some tanks and other vehicles for my game....

DanHedges likes this.
  43. zugsoft

zugsoft

I am working on a Multiplayer Fighting game, named Brawlme
    The game works on Android, iOS, WindowsPhone and PC.

It's possible to play until 400 opponents in the same area on Mobile, but I will limit to 100.
    On PC I already simulated 2000 opponents :D
    I developed the server with System.Net.Sockets, and build a Headless Linux version.

The Android Beta will be open tomorrow with 5 servers:
    Asia, Russia, Brazil, USA, France

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  44. AstridMartirossian

AstridMartirossian

Hey all,

Our team, Ugly Dino Entertainment, is working on a new game called Globli!
    Globli is an antibody in some sort of organism, where he must navigate through openings and spaces to destroy bacteria. You can change shape by using swipes to perform various actions.

Download the newest version here (Android devices only):
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.UglyDinoEntertaintment.Globule&hl=nl

Any feedback is appreciated! You can post it here as a reply, or fill in this form (anonymously):
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1F9lBZHpW8i5PYN28lXULFZ6imc8sasT7YoSNrMFxQro/edit?usp=drive_web

Screenshot_20160929-095900.png

Attached Files:

45. _RC

_RC

2D-Spacegame where you build your ship of tiles and place modules in a smaller grid on these tiles.
    Goal is something like a 2D-Freelancer with many more features and more depth.

46. FloHal

FloHal

Here is a gameplay overview of my game. It's like Hotline Miami with a Sin City design. This is an Alpha Footage.

NiloBR likes this.
  47. DMCH

DMCH

48. BitCrushed

BitCrushed

working on some editor scripts , materials ,shaders , i did not like the lack of color loss i got with the standard unity normal mapped specular shader so i tried to improve on it and add some extra detail mapping .

i have a few editor scripts that functions pretty good so far , i have terrain global :erosion ,smoothing,noise,slope texturing ,slope grassing , and a mesh merger that merges according to material then saves out as assets all the merged parts plus a single merged mesh for collision and then it reproduces an asset from those files and saves out the single asset .

Attached Files:

49. BitCrushed

BitCrushed

i have added macro detail and normal+gloss to my terrain and other shaders for more detail if i need it(no heavily tiled macro detail shown here though) , i think it makes for better appearance in daylight with the color enhancement aswell.

Attached Files:

50. WWysocki

WWysocki

computertech likes this.