Search Unity

WIP Small Works Art Thread

Discussion in 'Art Assets In Progress' started by Tim-C, Jul 26, 2012.

1. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

2. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

You have the wackiest mind I have ever seen, I'm definitely looking forward to your new game! :)

snowconesolid likes this.
  3. Lu3DLC

Lu3DLC

Hahah that looks great! Keep up the awesome work and let us know once the game is up and running!

4. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Lol thanks guys. This is something new I am working on that is completely separate from my current game project. I am planning on creating an animated short series for my youtube channel. And this is like my way of doing a "talk show" type setup.

I am going to write a complete Making of for this entire project once I get at least one animation video created. Everything from the character design/modeling to creating the complete set, and creating a complete cutscene within the unity engine. Then down the road I want to do tutorial series covering my workflow.

I might include this as a scene and playable part of the story in my upcoming game now though. Also, I'll probably make a game based off my new character down the road as well. This is the only character model that I have made that focuses on the face as he has many different facial expressions. I also plan on re-using this new character constantly throughout time as a reoccurring character in future game projects and secondary mascot as my main YouTube persona I suppose.

AlexZimich, Lu3DLC and RavenOfCode like this.
  5. Lu3DLC

Lu3DLC

Well keep at it buddy, looking great. Make sure to let us know once you have a video up. Definitley looking forward to seeing it.

6. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

I took the decision to make updates (unpaid of course), which might just be only one update in the end. I will be making some more modular pieces, a high quality torch and some spider webs as well as update the pillar models with broken parts and 4k textures all at the same price! Here's an update I am working on, got a bit of help on this one from a friend.

https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/released-modular-dungeon-pack-catacombs.398141/

Thunderent and RavenOfCode like this.
  7. marcos

marcos

Awesome work!

florianalexandru05 likes this.
  8. nipoco

nipoco

Just a character concept for fun.
    Not really happy how it turned out.
    The goal was to create some kind of 80's style cyberpunk female galactic bounty hunter (sorry I have no idea how to describe that shorter)
    Naya-Concept.png

9. Chris3Design

Chris3Design

I finished my crate guys, ain't it pretty?

edit : just figured out I messed up the front logo.. oops!

10. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Overall very pleasing style, and certain parts came out particularly nice. (Thumbs up smiley)

11. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

I like the color scheme, but I don't think including her front-butt was necessary.

12. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Haven't really touched Blender or Unity in awhile, so I decided to make a low poly human. Thoughts? Roughly 10-20 minutes

EDIT: Better picture.

snowconesolid, RavenOfCode and Kona like this.
  13. Kona

Kona

Looks good for 10-20 min of work! :) Only things I could think of at the moment-
    Hands: I'm not really sure how I should say it in english but hopefully you'll understand me, when a person is relaxed his/hers hands are usually more in a "cup-shape" form so as an example, rotating the thumbs down and also both the finger tips and the mid-finger joints down aswell could help. It could also make it easier to animate the character later on.

Found this image on google as reference in case I made no sense at all: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/f8/c6/cb/f8c6cbfc69c3b6c3f5490f8e6cc3468b.jpg

Shoulder: the base of the shoulders look quite cubic/edgy, move the middle vertice up slightly to make it a little smoother
    Head: Could need some more work, the head look as it becomes really narrow in an unnatural way at the top. While working with low-poly count it could sometimes help to keep the top of the head somewhat edgy and keep it (relatively) wide, but I guess that could be a matter of opinion. :)
    Lots of reference material to be found on google that you could try to replicate with low poly meshes just to see how to best replicate the shape. https://www.google.se/search?q=hand...0&bih=783#tbm=isch&q=head+reference&*&spf=397

14. tweedie

tweedie

Thanks :) The textures are adapted from the Nasa Blue marble scans, which you can get in crazy high resolution, and its a fairly simple shader in Shaderforge that blacks out things not facing the light direction and adds another layer on top for clouds (also sourced from Nasa scans) along with some faked shadows cast by those clouds. The atmospheric scattering is a total hack; there's some fresnel wrapping around the planet itself, but for the actual glow I just placed a sphere behind the planet, slightly larger, and threw a very simple fresnel faded alpha shader on that. It wouldn't hold up with a dynamic camera unless you wrote a script to always position the sphere in line of sight behind the planet (I think there's a similar cone method), but it works for my purposes :D

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  15. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Thanks for the feedback! I agree with everything you pointed out; I'll probably edit it later. Also, I completely understood what you were saying, made 100% sense.

Kona likes this.
  16. Thunderent

Thunderent

Pocket Artist

Started working on a new scene.Everything is made out of modular pieces.Early stage.

Does anyone know a way to make water puddles and look at least realistic?

17. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Been finalizing the basic palette for my game... 64 colors. Sort of a modern twist on a retro palette. I first computed an exact spread of 12 equidistant hues at 5 luminance levels. Instead of constraining the color accuracy to like 4-bit or 6-bit I let it be 8-bit which is subtly different.

Then I applied a hue shift. Then I tweaked the hue offset a bit so e.g. the red isn't pure red and it had a decent yellow/gold available, and toned down the saturation to about 80%. I then exported it to an image and opened in photoshop.

I noticed visually there were two sets of greens that looked too close (due to how monitor gamut doesn't distinguish them too well, and human eye interpretation) so I chopped one set, and another set of blues were too close so I chopped those. Then I tweaked some hues a little bit more to make sure all colors are distinctly unique.

Toned down the saturation in the mid-tones cus it stood out a bit too much. Lightened up the darks a bit, darkened the lights a bit. Sort of balanced the hues in relation to each other so they are fairly distinct color sets. Then faked some browns and grays.

There are 10 sets of 5 main colors (e.g. mid-tone, more-lit, less-lit, specular highlight, unlit shadow), a set of 5 browns, a ramp of 8 grays from black to white. The final red pixel is the last entry, a spare. It might need a little bit more fiddling but I think it's a good starting point.

For me I plan to use maybe one or two rows for a given enemy, either adjacent rows or an opposite/complement.

You might want to tone down the saturation a bit more for your tastes if you use it, it's a little strong still. Old 4/6-bit color palettes were very saturated but it's not pleasant on the eyes.

Enjoy.

NewPaletteFinal.png

Just for kicks here's a less saturated version, somewhere around the golden ratio 61.8% saturation. Not sure which I prefer yet.

NewPaletteFinal-LessSaturation.png

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  18. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Looking good man. You reminded me of some of my earliest models ever when I was trying to get down the human body in low poly form. Like this one (pls don't judge me)

I think I was trying to make a Captain Falcon knock off back in the day.

or this one

That face though^^^^ and eeeewwww my texturing was nasty. I don't even know what kind of clothing I was trying to create here lol.

on topic though, for 10-20 mins thats a pretty good low poly model. It's pretty basic at the moment but a good start.
    Some of my critiques and areas to work on is the models torso is very blocky and sharp. From the shoulder areas to where the legs connect. The models neck is very awkward and almost not really even a neck. Neck should be a tad longer and more rounded. Nothing wrong with having a short neck or no neck at all, but it seems over crowded on your model if that makes sense. The legs are good up until they connect to the rest of the body where they become blocky and then sharply split down the crotch of the model. Crotch areas can be tricky and this was something I often did when I started out modeling. But you can't just extrude legs from the bottom of the torso (you can if you want), esp if you have a mirror modifier on (which you do in this case) you need to model in some middle part and add some more geometry. You need to cut in an area for the legs and then connect them into the model without connecting in the center of the mirror mod. Crotches took me some time to get right, I mean look at the images above, gross. Look how wide apart the legs are from the crotch in the second image. Look how square his junk is bro! lol, there was a lot wrong with those models actually. I'm cringing looking at them. But yeah, don't be afraid to add in some extra geometry for crotches. Another thing that I learned the hard way is how important good clean topology is. Topology is probably one of the most important things of the model. The head is very weird and unclean imo. The front of the face has unnecessary loop cuts/knife cuts/whatever it was called in blender. It looks like the very tip of your head joined in at the center of your mirror mod at that one vertice. And last thing, you are planning on rigging/animating for ingame or whatever, make sure you have enough loop cuts where they are needed so it properly deforms with the rig. the way I learned is to always include at least a minimum of 3 loop cuts on major deforming areas such as arms and legs. Looks like you have enough at the leg, but move some closer to the knee area. For the arms same thing, add a third loop cut in the center of that elbow area.

There is no right or wrong way to approach a model and each person has their own way of doing things. But just remember to always add-geometry where it is needed, keep topology clean and consistent and make the model identifiable through its silhouette.

These are just some of my honest feedback and thoughts. Its a good start. Keep up the good work :)

I recently went back to my game project, I mentioned I was jumping back and forth between this and other projects I am working on whenever I get a chance to.

I am reworking some of the scenes atmosphere/lighting/etc because I feel like I could improve on those. I need your guy's opinion on something. Do you think the game looks better with its current default lighting/setting

Or do you think it looks better now after I did some color correction/lighting adjustments like here:

This scene is in a forest, and something I like is that this really makes greens pop which gives a nature feel. But also I think this might be too strong. I am still experimenting around until I find the right tone. But what do you guys think so far? Default, or color corrected?

RavenOfCode likes this.
  19. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Tone down the bloom a bit and I think the color correction looks better. I also think some AA would work nicely!

Thanks for the feedback! I do agree about the head and the crotch area, I'll work on those. As for the more loop cuts in the knees/elbows, I know about that. I haven't decided whether not I want to rig this model and animate it so I just left it as it. If I do animate it I'll add few more cuts around those areas. Also, I quite like those models! I do think that the second one's crotch area is a bit wide like you said, but the first one I really like. Gives me a bit of nostalgia for some reason.

20. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

I JUST LOVE THAT, A++ <3
    It's perfect!
    I know a guy that was making water puddles but I doubt he'll be giving me he's secret so easy lol
    --------

Making my textures 4K

Here is some screenshots in:

Gama

Linear

https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/released-modular-dungeon-pack-catacombs.398141/#post-3000114

21. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

yeah that bloom was killing it. Got rid of bloom completely. AA is a must. Keep forgetting to add it to my camera.

I did a lot more tweaking with correction, toned down the green a bit. I think i'm getting the tone down now. Heres my new results:

Default/no color correct/light fix image for reference of before:

Here is the updated color corrected scene which has nice vibrant greens and makes the environment feel more like a fantasy type forest. I really like this look actually. It kind of gives me that zelda/lost woodsy feel. If you look at the original picture above, this is a major difference and more pleasant on the eyes imo. The default image looks kinda washed out and desaturated while this one feels almost like you can smell the greens of the forest.

And here is the same color corrected image but with an added filter of dreadfulness on top. This gives it more of a horror forest atmosphere. The greens are blended with blues and grays yet still gives a vibrant feel. I like how this style looks as well but not sure if I prefer this one or just the color corrected image. I think other colors in this image might be a bit to much, like the blacks on the character model for example seem a bit too strong.

what do you guys think?

RavenOfCode and Whiteleaf like this.
  22. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

The downed tree on the left is too shiny! And for some reason has specular on the bottom side near the ground where you'd expect to see shadow.
    Other than that I like the CC+filter. Much improved.

Whiteleaf likes this.
  23. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

So I took some of your guy's feedback and incorporated it into the model. Thanks to @Kona for the hand suggestion and the shoulders suggestion because I think it made it look more natural, I also added more loop cuts at the hands for easier shaping.The shoulders look much nicer and smoother now. Thanks to @snowconesolid for the crotch, neck and torso suggestion. I changed all of these and it looks a lot better! Particularly the crotch suggestion, I never realized how much a small gap could do. It makes the model look a lot more real. I suppose it will also help with animating later on. I also redid the head completely and it looks a bit better now. I think it looks a bit alien-ish though.

If you guys want to have a more in-depth look at the model, take a look at it here on Sketchfab. This will give you guys more ways to critique it rather than from just one angle. Thanks again!!

EDIT: looking at it now the torso looks a bit flat from the side.

Kona and snowconesolid like this.
  24. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Ahhh yeaaaa!!!!! Sooooooo much better! Now that's a good crotch! :D
    Really great improvement. This is night and day better than the original. Really nice clean topology. Good body proportions. I don't think the head shape is bad at all actually. It fits the rest of the models overall body. Maybe model in some low poly ears on the head?

but overall this is a big step up. Keep up the good work. Now texture this bad boy! :)

Kona and Whiteleaf like this.
  25. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Thanks! Texturing will probably be the worst and hardest part, I'm not the greatest at it. :D I might actually make some clothes or armor and put it on him, I've never done clothes in Blender so I think it would be worth it.

26. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Thought I could use some feedback on this guy. Eventual Cyclops
    I'm going for a kind of low intelligence, frumpy, mild aggression look. Kind of like a hill giant, but with longer arms and larger hands to swing stumps and hurl rocks.
    He's roughly 8 ft tall, humanoids come up to about the middle of his chest.
    I'm working towards flat shaded low resolution, but with enough resolution in the face for morph targets. At this point the models poly distribution is all over the place. I choose to rough in the shapes and add resolution where ever, and then bring it back to quads while fine tuning the shapes.
    I like the resolution of the arms and will probably cut back on the rest of the body to match them, except the head.

The face/ head is only temp right now to get the dreaded area of the neck, trapezius, deltoid, peck & shoulders fitted together. I'm trying to avoid as much as possible long triangle stretching noticeable in action-y animated flat shaded models.
    He will have a pelt made loin cloth and probably a tree stump as a weapon. 3 fingers and 1 thumb, and probably 4 toes.

I'm not entirely sure about the look of the head at this point. I'm probably going to sketch up some examples before detailing his head.

Any critique welcome. I'm feeling like the shoulder, arm pit, trap, deltoid area is off but I can't place what is wrong.

upload_2017-3-24_2-53-46.png

Billy4184, RavenOfCode and Whiteleaf like this.
  27. Mister-D

Mister-D

my ideas
    the thumb is too long, make the upperarm shorter, add a big trapezoid muscle, inflate the shoulders a bit.and make the leg around the knee smaller
    also make the face a bit more expressive i mean, make someting out of proportions like big ears or nose.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  28. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

29. mcunha98

mcunha98

30. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

Initial screenshot of the game environment:
    InitialScreenshot.png

Whiteleaf likes this.
  31. kdgalla

kdgalla

Thought I'd show-off a character I've been working on over the weekend. I'm trying to learn Blender and also how to make maps for Unity's standard shader. I have developed sort-of a process at this point. Still, I was actually pretty impressed with myself as I've never made a character of this quality before:

hero_d_web_action1.jpg
    hero_d_web_action2.jpg

I modeled and rigged the character in blender. Made textures in Corel Photopaint and also a smooth/metallic map. There's a few details I want to clean-up but it's mostly finished.

The sword is not mine, by the way. It's from the asset store. Also there are a few normal-map details (like the ridges in the hair and the embossing on the armor) that are borrowed from some of Yughues free materials and re-purposed.

32. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

33. LAUDSOFT

LAUDSOFT

34. Billy4184

Billy4184

35. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

36. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

37. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

It's should be Leather :)

38. Billy4184

Billy4184

Working on a station for my mobile game, still blocking things out here and still plenty of details to add/fix.

untitled.png

39. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

Did some low poly art today:
    Rockets4Improved.png

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    UnityLighting, Not_Sure and Billy4184 like this.
  40. Billy4184

Billy4184

41. Ericks89

Ericks89

Just some sprites I'm working on.

42. Mister-D

Mister-D

working on some guns for the store, some sort of scifi theme
    first up is a double barrel machinegun
    DBMG.png

43. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Jab Hook & Spin Kick

44. Mister-D

Mister-D

it will look better if the leg is a bit overstretched in the spin kick
    great work

dogzerx2 likes this.
  45. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Thank you Mister D!!! :-DDD

46. Billy4184

Billy4184

Nice! Agree with Mister-D that the kick needs to stretch, I think the rest of the body needs to unfold a bit and become more like a bow in the direction of the extended leg.

theANMATOR2b and dogzerx2 like this.
  47. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Hey, really good! Thanks!

Hope it's closer!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    theANMATOR2b likes this.
  48. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

This is in reference to your first video - although still relevant to the edited version.

The Jab and Hook are spot on, but there is something off about the spin kick. I think it is the lack of weight transfer that should happen when spinning, maybe the lack of wind up and follow through.
    Wind up & follow through. It is understandable if you are going for quick movements, but might consider just 1-3 frame anticipation and follow through to make it look more convincing.
    Weight transfer. It's probably due to the characters main pivot point and the angle of his body. On a spin kick like that the character should be leaning less upright, should be leaning more back when spinning to counter balance the motion and to THROW his foot out to connect with the opponent. Also I think it looks a little off because he kinda bunny hops, and has a bent pivot leg. The pivot leg should be almost completely straight and instead of bunny hopping, he could start out by pivoting on the right side ball of his foot, up to his toes and back down onto the left side of his foot. (or vs-versa cause I'm a lefty :))
    (Special note: I'm not a martial artist, only an avid UFC fan and a ex-collegiate wrestler.)

nipoco and dogzerx2 like this.
  49. Billy4184

Billy4184

I think there are 2 main things which is that:
    a) body is too folded up at the kick's fullest extension, and also
    b) the kicking arm should probably lead the kicking leg through the rotation (at least just before the kick), causing the upper body to sort of pull the lower body around through the kick and add momentum.

Here's something I just threw together, hope it's useful!

tmp.png

dogzerx2 and RavenOfCode like this.
  50. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

I think this is an improvement!