Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Small Works Art Thread

Discussion in 'Art Assets In Progress' started by Tim-C, Jul 26, 2012.

1. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Bonaventure's Barracks is just about done...

Bonaventure 11.png

The Weapon Rack lets you refresh the ammo on your Particle Pistol. The Engineering Officer periodically synthesizes new components and weapons and assembles them, ensuring that the supply is maintained. On a small scout ship, however, the microfactory facilities are extremely limited; all the Bonaventure can easily create are Particle Pistols. Particle Rifles have to be built in Engineering, and require components that a Sif-class scout can't synthesize.

The Medical Chamber is based on technology found at Wolf 1061c - while the Earth Commonwealth has been able to reverse engineer it on a general level, Commonwealth Healing Chambers are still but a pale imitation of the alien technology found. Researchers are still trying to figure out some aspects of how the original device works.

For the most part, I'm done building the Bonaventure. I'd like to add more, but it's not really important enough. Building the ship where the game takes place on, howver, is more important.*

Note: I've dropped the 'shoot the anomaly' thing this time. I plan to revisit it later.

Edit: Wolf 1061c is potentially in its star's habitable region; Wolf 1061b is almost certainly not.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  2. Naithil

Naithil

Some warehouse for my game. I think i spent more time inventing the lever mechanism than actually modeling and texturing.
    Those poor villagers need to rely on barreled water shipments. No wonder the protagonist will want to leave this place

Безымянный.jpg

3. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

This is the test area where I create all the animated scenes/clips of my game.

In this particular clip, the only animated objects are the characters. The characters are interacting with each other and animated. They can also move/walk around a navMesh baked area (they will actually walk around in the animated clip)
    Other animations are trigger based. When an avatar/character collides with a trigger, the next sequenced animation will play.

Guess this is really more a technical thing then a art post. But I prefer the small/works of art thread more than small programming thread :D :p

Once this animation is added into the final environment and lighting, etc is done it will look pretty good I think. :D

RavenOfCode and AndrewGrayGames like this.
  4. nipoco

nipoco

Playing around with Substance Painter.
    Vase.jpg

5. Billy4184

Billy4184

6. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Finished up one of the animated scenes.

Here is the a comparison of the original image I posted:
    This is the animated scene between two characters.

And here is the what the final will look like:

I should really just record a video since there is an animation going on. Makes more sense then showing screens....

Game will be weird

bye! :D

iamthwee and RavenOfCode like this.
  7. HolBol

HolBol

Modular interior pieces! Each apartment is split into a 2x2 grid, each position in that grid has multiple variants that can be there. And there's outer cladding panels to match each one.

0003.png

8. Blacklight

Blacklight

Re-textured one of my old guns:
    1911_1.jpg 1911_2.jpg

Original texture: beautyRenders_pistol.jpg

RavenOfCode and Billy4184 like this.
  9. Blacklight

Blacklight

First pass of a reload animation. Still needs a lot of work on both the gun and the hands (like that nightmarish twist in the left wrist).
    Record_2017_01_24_13_00_06_123.gif

I also found out that you can edit the interpolation between keyframes within Unity which is VERY useful information.

10. Billy4184

Billy4184

The pacing feels good.

Blacklight and AndrewGrayGames like this.
  11. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

I'm jealous. I don't want to show you guys my poor excuse for a run animation. In fact...I'll pretend it doesn't exist, until I must.

12. Billy4184

Billy4184

Do it! :)

13. Blacklight

Blacklight

Do it! It can't be any worse than my last attempt at a running animation.

EDIT: Made a different kind of reload that uses the slide lock. Results in a much quicker reload with less awkward hand movements.
    Record_2017_01_24_20_44_13_839.gif

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    Not_Sure and RavenOfCode like this.
  14. HolBol

HolBol

Starting to texture things!

0004.png

RavenOfCode and Blacklight like this.
  15. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Out of curiosity, do you recommend a particular GIF-maker? I downloaded Grabilla, but it had a terrible frame capture rate; it was all choppy. My animation is terrible, but it's not that terrible.

16. Blacklight

Blacklight

I use oCam. It's a fairly easy screen recorder that can record to gifs as well. You can also set your own framerate to capture at (for these forum posts I usually only use around 15 to try keep the filesize down).

AndrewGrayGames and Billy4184 like this.
  17. Billy4184

Billy4184

Not really sure, I tend to just do it on some online site in the rare case that I make a gif. Probably best to use whatever Blacklight is using.

AndrewGrayGames likes this.
  18. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Well, while I'm looking at that, I implemented the scan function of the Smart Communicator.

I'm a bit sick today - I needed to make progress on a basic mechanic, and scanning is one of those things that has to be in - scans are part of how I explicitly tell people how to get past basic challenges. More advanced challenges, the scan gives hints on how to overcome it.

Anyways, that funny monitor in the Barracks? Yeah, that's what I'm scanning. It'll be a Ship Status display soon. In my demo, you'll be able to scan all sorts of things. I'm a fan of the scanning mechanic.

Bonaventure 12.png

Note - some things are impromptu, "whenever" scans. Other things - alien technology, enemies, that sort of thing - require keeping the scanner trained on the thing you're scanning.

Bonaventure 13.png

Also - Reloading guns! ...Though, my Particle Pistol is fully charged. That being said, it does work, as does the Healing Tank. They were pretty easy to implement. So, despite illness, I've done good today.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
    Not_Sure likes this.
  19. HolBol

HolBol

Maybe a little more texturing. Whipped up some stuff for the interiors. Plenty more to go, though. Most of the external panels (so most non-tiling parts) share a texture atlas at this point. At the top is an interior piece without the external cladding. You may also notice that the windows themselves are changable and can be replaced with different styles.

0005.png

RavenOfCode and Blacklight like this.
  20. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Large flat surfaces with a repeated texture always sticks out like a sore thumb. I'd consider adding something to the building to break up the bread-box shape.

Same goes for the grass.

Maybe add some perlin noise, or similar effect, to add an alternate texture and break up the monotony.

21. HolBol

HolBol

Could always add decals too. Those work wonders.

Not_Sure and AndrewGrayGames like this.
  22. zlix12

zlix12

Looks good, although in my experience one would release the slide with the thumb or with the reload hand in position.
    Example from youtube:

RavenOfCode likes this.
  23. Blacklight

Blacklight

Unfortunately my arm rig's thumbs are a bit short for the right hand to be able to do it without clipping through the gun. Do you think the more exaggerated movement of the left hand looks a bit silly? I might edit it a bit to make it more realistic like you suggested and see how it looks.

24. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

I think we are going to need more coffins...

RavenOfCode likes this.
  25. Blacklight

Blacklight

Should've sprung for the family sized.

26. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

The Manson family size.

27. Blacklight

Blacklight

Another reload:
    Record_2017_01_26_20_07_20_966.gif

snowconesolid likes this.
  28. Billy4184

Billy4184

Looking good. Maybe the ending where the slide is popped forward again could be a bit more punchy. Nice work.

29. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Very nice.

30. Vashchuk

Vashchuk

I like the pistol but those hands are terrible and I see they won't work together. Is it hands topology or just a bad rig that causes that deformations? It's hard to tell where's the problem, but you can't achieve a good quality with those hands. Just take a look at that thumb.

31. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

LOL! :D

Grandpa said this would be a cheaper solution. :D

Not_Sure and AndrewGrayGames like this.
  32. zlix12

zlix12

33. Blacklight

Blacklight

Probably both. It's something I've been meaning to go back and fix for the past two guns. Is it just the thumbs that really stand out as awful? Anything else you think needs work?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  34. Will-Morillas

Will-Morillas

A couple screenshots of my new character for the asset store, I'm going to do him with the clothes in different meshes, so the customer can change them if needed.

35. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Hey guys. Just wanted to share the current progress on my game project in this in depth detailed video vlog.
    Please enjoy!

RavenOfCode likes this.
  36. HolBol

HolBol

Bit dark but yay, interiors with horrible wallpaper. I just need to create texture maps for the stairs now then I can start moving on to texturing the other modular pieces and packaging it up.

0006.png

37. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

I really like this actually. Think the dark lighting looks good. This looks like a part of the house from Resident Evil 4. How are you getting that dark grainy-ish look in the corners? Is that ambient occlusion?

38. HolBol

HolBol

The grainy look is rendering artifacts from cycles mostly, not using enough rays for this light level.

EDIT:

Thought I'd throw together a proper blockout of what I have. Horrible looking buildings.

0007.png

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  39. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Captain, we're not on Bonaventure anymore...

Bonaventure 14.png

This is my first draft of the Metheglan Cruiser in its powered-down state. I'm trying to keep to the (mostly) black & white aesthetic to be true to the super-retro Sci-Fi stuff. I want the Metheglan Cruiser to feel more advanced than the Bonaventure, but also distinctly alien - instead of heavy gravitic deckplates, the ship has more of a tiled thing going on. Instead of just having boring ceiling lights, the Metheglans build 'backup' lights into the wall panels themselves. Their plasma weapons, instead of looking like a shout-out to Nikola Tesla (like the Humans) instead resemble a FN P90.

And, this is Earth's First Contact with a non-human race...

As far as the visual language, boring items are purely in black & white. Scannable items have blue splashed on them somewhere (green on the Metheglan ship). Enemies usually wear black (they're bad guys, why wouldn't they?) Heroic figures, like the Captain, the crew of Bonaventure, and other do-goods wear Red, except for Metheglans - they wear purple.

RavenOfCode likes this.
  40. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

This looks fantastic!

Do you think the hands could use more detail though?

I find that hands should be very detailed since they're one of the most expressive body part, second only to the face.

41. PixelMind

PixelMind

Haven't done anything visual for a while but wanted to post something. So this is a little bit older WIP.

I was working on a tessellated terrain shader that would support 8 textures and use pbr rendering. I also made a custom gpu instanced foliage system so the trees and grass are very few draw calls. Foliage follows terrain heightmap automatically. The trees are also made using a custom procedural tree editor.

42. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

When the ragdoll physics in your game breaks...

So you just give up on creating games....

RavenOfCode and PixelMind like this.
  43. Blacklight

Blacklight

Excellent results. That's gorgeous.

PixelMind likes this.
  44. Billy4184

Billy4184

A prop I made for a client:

Render.png

45. Will-Morillas

Will-Morillas

Thank you!

Yes, the hands are just placeholders right now, the character has a full body sketched inside the armor

46. TheAlmightyPixel

TheAlmightyPixel

Still hacking away at this dude.

Sentinel-of-Time-WIP-2.gif

47. AlexZimich

AlexZimich

Its been quite a while since i remember posting! Please take a look at how its looking, flowing, playing

florianalexandru05 likes this.
  48. AlexZimich

AlexZimich

49. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

So, right now I'm 'blocking out' the Metheglan Cruiser, starting with the Command Deck.

Bonaventure 15.png

...Wait, this isn't Unity! WTF is this doing here!?!?

Actually this is a nice starship modeling program called Starmade. Technically it's a game, but for a space work like mine, I find it great for prototyping ships (since, the "game" is mostly that you can build ships.) You can also export them, but I'd rather turn around and do the less-poly-intensive modelling in Blender insetad. Full disclosure: I have posted an unfavorable review of the "game" in question.

Below you can see some drafts for the Bonaventure. Below those, you can see some fighters that are definitely not Metheglan, and that you should forgot you saw because they're not relevant to any future plans I might have for Bonaventure as a story.

Anyways, now you know how I build starships. As far as the Metheglan ship is concerned, they use crystalline silicate ablative-reactive armoring. The laboratories on the ship can build new armor almost on demand.

50. Elzean

Elzean

Here are 2 level design i made recently for "Rogue Fantasy", i did each during a twitch streaming session,
    There are links in the description of each video if in want to know more or see my futur streams :)

florianalexandru05 likes this.