Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Small Works Art Thread

Discussion in 'Art Assets In Progress' started by Tim-C, Jul 26, 2012.

1. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

I ended up just using the standard shader with a color palette texture and editing the models UV's. That way I get 1 material for a large amount of models.

I found that most of the looks came from image effects. I used Bloom, Vignette and Chromatic Aberration, Screen Space Ambient Occlusion, Global Fog, and Tonemapping. Since then I added Color Correction Curves as well as it sharpens the colors and makes it look nicer.

For example here is what they look like with and without image effects:
    WaterFallWithImageEffects.png WaterFallWithoutImageEffects.png

2. Mister-D

Mister-D

finished an old model that was not rigged and textured yet.
    rendered in unity
    knightscreens1.png

3. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

4. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Internet: "When you see it..."
    Me: "What? Where is it? I don't see it?"

lol, this isn't actually going in the game. I just got really really bored and somehow modeled this attractive face.

Not_Sure and RavenOfCode like this.
  5. virror

virror

6. Arkhham

Arkhham

Few Screenshots from my next Environment Pack.
    I'm still working on the lighting the garage. After that, i'll be uploading the pack to asset store!
    1.png 2.png 3.png 4.png 6.png

7. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

She's turned out really hot! :D
    What kind of shader did you use to render that?
    Nice stuff!
    As promised I got screenshots. Finally import it into Unity. It did a excellent job with the rendering. I used Lightmaps with a PBR shader. To bad that scetchfab doesn't actually support lightmaps so the result was to be desirable.

https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/modular-dungeon-pack-catacomb.398141/#post-2903452

Happy New Year!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  8. Mister-D

Mister-D

see attachment ;)
    its a shader made with shader forge
    it adds another cubemap to the reflection

Attached Files:

9. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Thanks, I tried it out and it's neat but I guess I'll be fine with the default Unity pbr. :D Maybe I'll look into it more when I decide to make a game. I really like your character models btw!

10. Mister-D

Mister-D

tnx,
    the shader works best with metal objects like armor or guns, it also depends alot on the cubemap u add to it.

ive added some cylindrical cubemaps in attachment

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  11. xenoblackinc

xenoblackinc

Here is a Wip of game in development using invectors melee combat system at the core. Still a little rough around the edges but I'd like to share with the community. I'm looking to work with level designers and asset makers.
    characters were developed by me. please give me feedback

florianalexandru05 likes this.
  12. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Thanks, I'll check those out to.
    That looks pretty neat, man!

13. xenoblackinc

xenoblackinc

Thank you hey man that level you made is phenomenal I really like it. Can you Pm me and let me know how much you charge for level design or assets?

14. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Thanks again for your attachments, it looks pretty neat! <3
    I did hear your advice about too much AO in the rocks. I don't usually add that much but unfortunately that's how the diffuse for these particular rocks turned out... Might of looked better with less on the outside but I think it's ok for the inside.
    Yes, I'll PM you about it when I can!
    _________
    Ok, I should wrap this pack up. Made another modular pillar in the meantime. I might still add a few things while I get it ready for unity.

https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/modular-dungeon-pack-catacomb.398141/#post-2903452

15. tweedie

tweedie

Been working on a ship, was originally a military one (based on this wonderful concept by Alex Ichim: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/82/93/a7/8293a71ecec8bea02513ca2e0ee56e14.jpg ), but as it was kinda meant to be a racing ship, I've decided its a military craft that's been re-purposed for races through asteroid fields. As it's for racing I've made some adjustments to the proportions, i.e the cockpit is larger in comparison to the body, just so it doesn't look too hulking for a racer. Anyway, here's a flythrough

I wanted to try out the new Area/Tube lights and volumetric fog from the Adam demo. I'm also using bac9-flcl 's wonderful deferred decal shader. First time using it, and boy has it changed things, crisp details wherever you want them (unexpectedly crisp so i should probably blur some of the panel lines etc). Haven't worked into the environment much at all at the moment, so it's pretty bare, but it was suggested I added some props to help with scale so I threw some in very quickly. I want to work into a lot more of the small details and general weathering, but probably won't be able to for a little while. Anyway, thanks for looking!

Billy4184 and Malbers like this.
  16. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

The main character seems to be out of proportion from the elbows down. His wrists and hands look very under sized.
    I really like the textures/shaders. The ship looks very much like a droopy robot face straight on.
    Either a re-purposed military craft or a racing ship through asteroid fields, I'd expect to see some leading edge scarring and roughness to the crafts shape. You could really sell the history/story of the ship by adding some impact areas and marks to the ship, slight scarring where it took damage, and even some areas where it received some damage and was later patched up, like a off angled piece of scrap metal that is bolted/riveted on at an angle instead of straight on to fit the form of the ship. Even applying the 'new' paint job over these areas would give a sense the ship has history and is not being used for something other than what it was originally created for.
    Unless this ship never saw any battle and has never ran a race, in which case it look nice and perfect.

tweedie likes this.
  17. tweedie

tweedie

Thanks for the feedback man! I completely agree. I ran out of time to work on it, so it was easiest to leave it in a slightly showroom-ey condition (which, I must admit, I am partial to anyway), so weathering is less than minimal lol. Totally in-line with your thoughts on scarring etc though, when I next have time I really want to add some trailing lines over the wings and some dents / general stuff you mentioned. But yeah, for the mo it's in that new-ish, refurbished state haha. Thanks again!

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  18. Billy4184

Billy4184

Nice work! Is that fully modelled or wearing baked maps?

19. Billy4184

Billy4184

Aim is to make some very simple but readable materials in substance designer - cut stone here ..

Stone.png
    Stone_Graph.png

tweedie likes this.
  20. tweedie

tweedie

Thanks! It's mostly unbaked, the only part with a normal map is the main "cape" (as I call it) of cowling that runs over the front centre and wings, covering most of the ship. The rest is just bevelled with a whole cage of decals on top:

It seems to be how Star citizen go about their ships so wanted to give that method a spin :)

theANMATOR2b and Billy4184 like this.
  21. Billy4184

Billy4184

Very nice! I've experimented with this workflow and will use it for any pc games I make. I assume you're using weighted normals and two or three bevels? Care to share any of the good/bad about this workflow, particularly decals?

Also, are you using Unity's texture arrays for this?

Definitely reminded me of star citizen the first time I saw it!

theANMATOR2b and tweedie like this.
  22. tweedie

tweedie

I was reading a lot around face weighted normals and every source I found said Maya does it by default. I'm still not sure I'm convinced of that, but I tried exporting from different packages and they were certainly different. Maya must do some weighting, but not sure if its 100% face weighted. But yeah it was all out of Maya, with probably 2 bevels on noticeable areas, but I'm getting away with just 1 in a lot of places. I would really have liked to go higher - star citizen pushes 350k+ tris per ship - but I was limited on tri count to under a third of that, so 1-2 levels of bevel had to suffice lol :)

I don't think I have too much to say on the workflow, other than I would totally recommend decals, they're so flexible. Once you have a few baked out onto a sheet, adding panel lines or the odd detail here and there is so easy. Maya makes panel lines particularly easy with Quad draw / live surfaces too. And then with decals, as I'm sure you know; the resolution gain is amazing.

One of the main problems I'm still encountering is where the decal doesn't quite blend perfectly. I think this is a bigger problem for me because I'm dealing with extremely glossy surfaces on some of the paint, so around some of the logo decals (where there are large areas of transparency and I only want to blend Albedo) you can notice their square edge. I did a lot of fiddling with the shader, the alpha maps etc but could never get it perfect - it's only at glancing angles where it's noticeable. As far as the drawbacks of decal-ing itself, I suppose the main one is you always want to add more, so if you're not careful with how you're packing them onto a sheet to start with, you'll either have to do a lot of rearranging or make a whole new sheet haha.

The area I really want to improve most is the parallax mapping, I tried a range of different height maps and they all produced their fair share of artefacts on certain shapes if the depth was set too high, so some shapes don't look anywhere near as deep as I'd like. I'd put this down to my inexperience with good height map practices more than decals themselves though. Other than that I suppose you have to be careful of some clipping / decals sinking under the surface, but good Z Offset should save that.

And nope, no texture arrays; I hadn't heard of them before though, so thanks for mentioning. They look interesting, so I'll take a look into them for stuff like this! :)

Billy4184 likes this.
  23. TheAlmightyPixel

TheAlmightyPixel

Working on a stone pathway material in Substance. Lots of stuff to fix and add, but it's getting there.

I feel like the hardest thing to do when working with Substances is balancing the amount of detail while trying to avoid having too much noise in the texture.

Stone Pathway.jpg

Some different lighting conditions:

Lighting Conditions.jpg

astracat111 and Billy4184 like this.
  24. Billy4184

Billy4184

Very simple procedural wood in substance designer ... bit stylized ...

Wood.png

WoodGraph.png

astracat111 likes this.
  25. Billy4184

Billy4184

Looks like it's going to be a nice one! I think the main thing is the pebbles between the stones are too sharp and the normal/color detail is too uniform, maybe simulate more mud and dirt accumulating between them?

26. TheAlmightyPixel

TheAlmightyPixel

Yeah, those are all things I need to change. I'm still trying to decide whether to have dirt or sand in between the stones, though.

27. Blacklight

Blacklight

First time doing proper first person weapon animations. The rigging was a bit of a pain, but I'm pretty proud of how the animations turned out.

Record_2017_01_05_22_32_38_947.gif Record_2017_01_05_22_33_32_442.gif

astracat111 and Billy4184 like this.
  28. Gustavo-Santos

Gustavo-Santos

First lightning study with unity, trying to make Archviz like koola Arch.png

Blacklight and astracat111 like this.
  29. astracat111

astracat111

So I've been programming and programming for 3 months every day to set up a kind of rpg maker.

Right now I'm working on graphics. Here's a sample:

30. Billy4184

Billy4184

Interesting stuff! What does this thing do exactly?

astracat111 likes this.
  31. Billy4184

Billy4184

Trying my hand at something different ...

Screenshot.png

astracat111 and Blacklight like this.
  32. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

It's good for a first go, but I do have to say that the gun should be closer to the player's body.

The butt should be right up to the shoulder, not at the bicep.

Blacklight likes this.
  33. TheAlmightyPixel

TheAlmightyPixel

Looks good, however your gun's placement is a bit off. Generally in FPS games the gun should take up the lower-right quarter of the screen. Now your gun is in the middle and it makes the gun and the left arm look very stretched.

If you're interested, there's a pretty comprehensive guide to FPS weapon creation that also covers screen placement here.

34. Blacklight

Blacklight

You're probably right, but in all honestly I'm not really too concerned about how things look behind the camera. Is there much reason to perfect something that's never going to been seen by the player?

I certainly am interested! Thanks for the guide. This is going to be very handy.

35. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Well, yeah.

In this particular instance it looks like the person is holding the shotgun away from them when firing rather than squeezing in close to get a bead, or slinging it at their waste like they're skeet shooting.

This would cause the left arm to bend way more and the right elbow to turn outward when aiming, or be close to the body when shooting from the hip.

Right now it looks like they're shooting a rifle like a it's a pistol.

I'm sorry, I really am trying to be helpful. Not an ass.

Maybe try holding a broomstick like it's a rifle and you can see what I mean.

36. Blacklight

Blacklight

Sorry, I misunderstood before. I think I get what you mean now though!

No worries. I appreciate your input, even more so now that I understand it!

37. Billy4184

Billy4184

I kind of agree, but I think it's pretty good for a first go, and from the side it looks quite natural.

If there's anything I would add it would be that the rifle doesn't seem to have a lot of momentum/follow-through, making it seem a bit lighter than it would in real life. Follow through is really key to giving an animation a sense of impact and satisfaction.

Don't see enough animations here.

38. Blacklight

Blacklight

Altered it a little as @Billy4184, @Not_Sure, and @TheAlmightyPixel suggested. I moved it into the bottom right quadrant of the screen. I think it does look a lot better in the right side though I'm a bit unsure about how it moves across the centre when the character cocks the lever. I'm not sure if crossing the centre so much is a good idea as it can be kind of obscuring. Realistically you don't need to move the gun much at all, but I do like the exaggerated movement. Reminds me of the Doom shotgun.

I also brought the gun in a bit toward the player so he doesn't look like he's stretching his arms out. Actually, I think a lot of that extended/stretching effect came from the camera. The camera in the new image has been re-positioned a bit and has a lower FOV. The gun does leap back a bit much for something that's supposed to be pressed against the character's shoulder, but again I like the exaggeration. Realism is pretty underwhelming.

There's also a little bit of follow through toward the end of the animation when the rifle returns to its rest position and I tweaked the recoil a little.

Record_2017_01_07_00_23_17_193.gif
    Higher framerate GIF, woo!

Thank you for your help, guys! There's still quite a bit that needs to be ironed out (thumb looks a bit weird, the casing is terrible, the hammer is a bit skewed in some animations, etc), but I think its coming along quite well. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

39. Billy4184

Billy4184

Looks much better, much more expressive!

Blacklight likes this.
  40. astracat111

astracat111

Like any rpg you walk around, interact with people, take on quests, run around, pick up items and kill monsters lol. For the house you walk to the door, there's a region near it, and it teleports you to the interrior, where again you walk around and trigger cutscenes, quests etc...

@Blacklight

It's looking better now. I don't know about the gun not cocking back even more even if it is resting on the shoulders. What references are you using? Did you take a video of yourself? It seems like the shotgun would push your entire body back if you had it resting on your shoulder, but then again I'm not an expert at this kind of thing.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  41. free-willy

free-willy

42. Blacklight

Blacklight

Actually it's not a shotgun, its and old lever action repeater based off of the Winchester Model 1873. There is pretty minimal movement in when fired in the above videos, and most of that is just the gun jerking upwards a bit. Like I said earlier, realism is pretty underwhelming.

I love the art style in your project, by the way!

43. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Its duh cups!

FREEEEEeeezzzzZZZZZEEE!

Trippy potato man in space (NOT IN GAME)

44. astracat111

astracat111

Oooh, okay. I was sure a shotgun would throw someone off their feet lol. Thanks. : )

45. Blacklight

Blacklight

retroScreen01.jpg retroScreen02.jpg

Low res texture environment I made today.

46. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

47. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

I'm implementing smaller details like blood stains that will cover the character. Throughout the journey, the character will go through some S***.

Don't worry, you could wash it off.

RavenOfCode likes this.
  48. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Working on some consoles for the player on my new Sci-Fi project. They don't work yet...but you can shoot anomalies!

Bonaventure 02.png

There are Tesla coils everywhere. If you like Tesla coils and cheesy sci-fi stuff, you're going to love my new project.

49. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

woah duuude! I didn't know you still post here. I remember playing your game "The Hero's Journey" years ago and following your progress on it as you developed it. It was awesome. Nice to see you working on a new project. Your style looks improved a lot.

Heres more bloody images of the character:

is it too much?

50. Blacklight

Blacklight

Something tells me I'm going to love your new project.

What he said.

Wow, that dude's got more red on him than Carrie. How does one get that bloody in your game? If you get bloody from taking damage that might be a bit overboard.

Also there's some very obvious mirroring on the front of his shirt that doesn't look too great.

snowconesolid likes this.