Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Small Works Art Thread

Discussion in 'Art Assets In Progress' started by Tim-C, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Takkik

Takkik

new iteration of previous texture :

Takkik_SB_brickWallR001_03

KRGraphics likes this.
  2. Billy4184

Billy4184

Procedural ice, rendered in substance designer..

Render.png

3. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

4. Thunderent

Thunderent

Pocket Artist

Quick Sunday environment using some of my Asset Store assets + post-processing.

Tribal Fantasy

5. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Blacklight likes this.
  6. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Thi is very nice... I would add a little noise to the normals and albedo... to give it that microdetail...

7. iamthwee

iamthwee

Love it, I'm the same, I try do all models, textures and sounds from scratch. It's the best way. How long does it take you to create a character?

snowconesolid likes this.
  8. TheAlmightyPixel

TheAlmightyPixel

Working on some rusty iron in Substance Designer:

screenshot002.jpg

Thunderent and Billy4184 like this.
  9. Blacklight

Blacklight

beautyRenders_pistol.jpg beautyRenders_smg.jpg

Some guns I've been working on. Textures are still pretty rough but I'm liking how they've turned out so far.

RavenOfCode and snowconesolid like this.
  10. NinjaMonkeyTom

NinjaMonkeyTom

Hi everyone, I've been experimenting with cel shading flat 2D character animations from Spine (2D animation tool with free form deformation) using different shaders, normal maps and image effects. I used Toony Colours Pro 2 shaders to get cel shaded lighting working but I also did some experiments with the standard shader that might be of interest.

I put together a short document detailing my findings that some of you might find interesting. I've also included a link to all of the project files (except the toon shaders because they aren't free) in the document:

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1HEkCwuCK6SBzXmaY-UQE33HC8nkCUyhoglJC54BHiGQ/edit?usp=sharing

Let me know what you guys think or if you have any questions I'll try my best to get back to you.

LinkSidebuSide.jpg LinkTumblr.gif

Tim-C, RavenOfCode, nipoco and 10 others like this.
  11. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

12. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

oh yeah totally. I feel like the only true way to remain consistent with an art style is for the same person to create all the elements. When using a ton of pre-made assets and throwing them in the game, it begins to seem off - like there are all these different styles mashing into each other if that makes sense. Each model is different for me. I think character modeling is my main thing though. For me, depending on the character it could take anywhere from a couple hours to about 6 hours to fully model, texture, rig and put into the engine. For 3d props and stuff, depending on what is being made it could take like 5 mins to maybe an hour.

anyway, here is a bunch of other screens I have posted on my dev blog but forgot to share over here. Some WIP screens from the game.

(This screen is actually just a test scene I setup in Blender before going into unity)

Now in Unity engine, setting up fog/atmospheric feel

Character test run

heres some creepy leafbug things (they don't do anything yet, more for decor, but
    I do want these bugs to have some kind of interactivity with the player. )

Here is our wooden man sitting on a tree stump in this foggy forest
    level. In the back you can see a log cabin which you can go into and
    it is full of more creepy stuff.

Here is a first pass on one of the very first levels in the game, the intro essentially. It is very Silent Hill
    inspired clearly.

I later decided to add some rain on top of already having the fog.
    A game design trick I used here is simply parenting the rain particles
    to the character model instead of putting it all throughout the scene.
    The rain looks like it is everywhere in the scene from the players
    perspective but it really isn't :D

And here is a couple more passes to really get the atmosphere right. The first screen shows what the scene looks
    like with fog plus the added rain. In the second scene I started to use unity camera filters to get a even better atmospheric feel. So the second screen has the grain effect going on. And then in the third screen (I am not really sure about this one, I might just stick with the style the second screen has) but in the third screen, I thought adding in that bloom fx might add in a nice finishing touch to the overall feel of the scene. I really do like how it looks but I also think it might be too much. So I am really on the fence about this. What do you guys think I should stick with? The Second screen or the third screen?

iamthwee likes this.
  13. TheAlmightyPixel

TheAlmightyPixel

To be honest I think the first screen without the grain + bloom looks the best.

The grain in the 2nd shot is really quite excessive, and when it's paired with the strong fog it somehow looks 'dusty'. The third shot is pretty much the same, though the bloom makes everything harder to read.

If you don't mind my input, I'd say tone down the fog, get rid of the grain (or just reduce it to a minimum), tone down the bloom a bit, and then make the whole level darker. Right now the lit billboard doesn't really stand out, so some darkness could definitely help there. The raindrops are maybe a bit too strong as well, you might want to make them slightly more transparent.

Basically, subtlety is key.

On a slighter note, your level is very foggy and it's raining, which means that the sky is likely fully covered with clouds. Because of that the directional shadows look a bit out of place. You might want to replace them with some strong AO.

Also, you might want to try adding a LUT to your camera, to add contrast and color correction to your scene. This is completely up to you, but in most cases it can really help sell a scene.

14. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Woah! This is very awesome and detailed feedback! Thanks so much for the input. Actually, this helps a lot.
    Good eye for detail.

"Basically, subtlety is key."
    - This is wonderful advice and something I need to keep in mind. I always do tend to overdo the fx. Think I will completely get rid of bloom and one grain down a lot.

Thanks man! :)

TheAlmightyPixel likes this.
  15. TheAlmightyPixel

TheAlmightyPixel

Cooking yet another Substance, this time a rocky, dry dirt ground. It's getting there, though there are some obvious things I need to fix/add.

screenshot001.jpg

screenshot002.jpg

Comments and critique welcome!

16. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

I am really proud of how this game is coming along and this scene especially. I don't mean to brag, but this is probably my best work yet and will be my best game. I am just really excited.

Toned down the grain, removed bloom, adjusted rain, and turned up spec on the characters material to make him seem "wet" in the rain. When not raining in game, the character will go back to default and won't be as shiny. Its the small things. Thanks AlmightyPixel for some recommendations on what I could improve.

RavenOfCode and Thunderent like this.
  17. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Hey guys... posted this someplace else on the forums, but I was having so much fun, I wanted to share this with you. I am experimenting using Full HDR in Unity 5.5. Not sure if it officially supports FP32, but the results I am showing speak for themselves... It took me a while to get this working but I'm happy now, especially with the workflow to get the level of lighting I am looking for. The hard part is making sure the IBL was not too overexposed on the outset.

The skybox was made using Vue and FDRTools for HDR Processing.

Note: There are NO LIGHTS ACTIVE!

Sunset... this was a tough one to do and will require a lot more tweaking to get the range I want.

Enjoy.

18. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

This is looking real good. Also make sure you are using a flat specular (128,128,128) and setting up roughness maps for these surfaces.:)

19. iamthwee

iamthwee

Honestly, I loved potato thriller, I think it will be hard to top that, but your current game looks great. Kinda like a silent hill vibe.

20. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

21. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

haha thank you. Potato Thriller was really a hit or miss game with most people. A lot of people liked it, but a good amount of people just found it to be plain garbage. Its crazy to think its almost been a full year since I released PT (originally released on April 1st, then updated later on for Steam release). I feel like as a developer I have matured a lot and gained a lot more skills since then. There are a lot of things I personally didn't like with Potato Thriller. It was great and all and I am proud of it, it was a huge milestone since it was my first commercial game but, I don't really want a repeat of Potato Thriller. :p

I am really focusing and working hard on quality. Not just graphical, but good quality from every aspect, gameplay,
    structure, how everything flows, etc. PT was a cluster and mess of a bunch of random ideas that I somehow managed to make a storyline for. lol. We will see, easier said then done haha.

As for this new game, it is actually very Silent Hill inspired, so I am glad you are getting that vibe. :D

22. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

When you try sneaking up on yourself. But its raining so you can't see yourself sneak up on yourself.
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

iamthwee likes this.
  23. 3dDude

3dDude

Testing out some explosion effects for version 2.0 of Ian's Explosion Pack. Planning on having a customizable interface to change explosion size/parameters.

Also check out some of my fire effects, they use a similar shader and technique to render fire and smoke as above!

Let me know of any comments/critiques!
    Cheers

RavenOfCode and Martin_H like this.
  24. Billy4184

Billy4184

Experimenting with skybox creation in substance designer and blender for my wip space combat game. Going for something clean and stylized for mobile, very much inspired by homeworld..

untitled.png

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  25. TheAlmightyPixel

TheAlmightyPixel

My attempt at creating fire in Unity. I had to compress the GIF by a ton so it definitely lost a bunch of detail, but I guess it still looks like fire. I'm using 3 capless cylinder meshes, 2 shaders and 2 particle systems for this thing.

Debhon likes this.
  26. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

coming soon! hopefully...

And now heres some screenshots of me just goofing around in the engine and not getting any work done...

In all seriousness, im really excited about this new game. My plan is to launch my next greenlight campaign for it before the end of December. I probably won't make this deadline. Depends on how much I get done. But lets try it out!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
    Thunderent and iamthwee like this.
  27. Billy4184

Billy4184

Practising getting faster, this one's 3 hours from start to finish, luckily didn't have much trouble with the bakes. Rendered in Subst designer. Chance to try out some substance Source textures as well, some pretty good stuff there but a bit too clean and not much variety yet ..

Beauty1.png
    Beauty2.png

28. Takkik

Takkik

A new substance designer texture. On top is the reference used.

Takkik_SB_medBrickWall001

KRGraphics and Thunderent like this.
  29. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Reworked my grass shader with SSS and better wind. Inadvertently looks like Telletubbie land :D

30. iamthwee

iamthwee

This is great! How did you get that broken screen effect (3rd image) like in PT when you're walking through the loop. Care to share the code.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  31. TheAlmightyPixel

TheAlmightyPixel

This looks really nice, love the colors! Reminds me of Zelda: Wind Waker, especially the foliage on the tree. Are you planning on turning this into a game?

32. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Cool, that's exactly the atmosphere I'm striving for :D This is my vegetation test scene for the Fantasy Adventure Environment pack I'm working on.

33. Thunderent

Thunderent

Pocket Artist

Am I allowed to cross-post from my thread?

Here's what I am working on.A sneak peek of a bathroom scene which I am creating for my game, Dream of Me.

34. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

oh yeah. Totally man! I love this effect. I'm actually not using this effect in the new game, I was just messing around, but I did use this in Potato Thriller throughout different sequences in the game (I think by PT you where talking about the actual PT game and not my game Potato Thriller haha) But even in the real P.T. demo (if you played or saw it), there was a similar glitch effect used when you are collecting the photograph pieces. When I saw this glitch filter it reminded me of that so I had to get it in Potato Thriller's looping hall sequence.

This effect is actually something I can't take credit for. This is a camera effect called "glitch" that you attach to the game camera obviously and you can tweak its behavior.

This is available in Thomas Hourdel's "Colorful FX" asset pack available on the unity asset store here: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/44845

I highly recommend this asset pack if you are looking for a bunch of different camera filters and lens's. There is everything from cinematic to toony filters in the pack that you can use to overlay in your game to really up it's style. It is really a high quality AAA asset pack. Definitely check it out and support the dev if you're interested. :)

iamthwee likes this.
  35. TheAlmightyPixel

TheAlmightyPixel

36. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

hey thats a pretty nice glitch effect too! A little different but its nice. Thanks for sharing.

Things are getting weird...

Stupid creepy tree in Blender...

Huh... wood you look at that?
    Get it guys? "Wood"... Its funny because.. yeah... its funny.

RavenOfCode and iamthwee like this.
  37. iamthwee

iamthwee

That's awesome man, listen I wanted to ask you a question, seeing as you like Playable Teaser, I need someone to collaborate with I'm working on something (I think it could do really well) and I want to put it on steam sometime, would you be interested in working with me, I think you got some great ideas - I loved the concept behind potato thriller. Do you have a skype id?

test.jpg

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  38. Tzan

Tzan

Creepy tree says: "I've got my eye on you!"

39. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

heh heh finally someone else with a cheesy sense of humor! lol XD

woah! this looks awesome dude! the character model kind of reminds of Ellie from The Last Of Us for some reason. I saw the video in your thread and I really like the idea of a very long narrow hallway. Very PT inspired. Really cool stuff you got going on there. I would love to see this come to Steam. And thanks so much offering me to part of your project man. That means a lot to me. But i'm really busy with my own stuff at the moment. Esp this month since i'm trying to rush and get the steam greenlight campaign ready and launched before the end of the year. But thanks anyway. Honestly, your game is looking pretty good and I hope I didn't discourage you from continuing to work on it. Keep it up and keep posting. I would love to see more progress. I'll PM you my skype id if you ever want to talk. :D

40. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Things are gonna get weird

RavenOfCode likes this.
  41. computertech

computertech

I finish this gun model within 3 days.

42. Rokay

Rokay

Making some spaceships
    screenshot000.jpg screenshot001.jpg

43. Sanhueza

Sanhueza

This is awesome. I had a similar idea in mind for one of my game concepts, using normal maps to get dynamic lighting on 2D sprite character animations. Amazing how good you've gotten this to look. :)

44. TheAlmightyPixel

TheAlmightyPixel

45. Mister-D

Mister-D

femme fatale
    15k tris
    2k textures
    malenaRigged.png

46. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

I started learning how to do low poly art today. It took a few hours of work in blender and then an hour more in unity learning about image effects and doing some shader work. Here is the result:
    WaterfallAndCave_Final.png

47. nickyoso1

nickyoso1

Did you make both of those or is the left one a reference image?
    Either way, I like the one on the left better for a couple of reasons:
    1. The left image has more detailed geometry which i prefer over the simple trees on the right.
    2. Lighting in the left image is better.
    3. The colors of the left image work better together, I feel like those colors complement each other, where as on the right I feel like the red trees don't really fit with the rest of the scene.

RavenOfCode likes this.
  48. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

Thanks for the feedback, it's really helpful!

I did make them both, the one on the right then the one on the left. It's good to see that their is a difference (shows I have learned). :)

49. Blacklight

Blacklight

After a lot of screwing about, today I finally got a rig that works with root motion in a humanoid rig. Unity was not at all happy with the orientation of my root bone and it took a lot of trial and error to find a usable orientation.

Control rig:
    Record_2016_12_23_22_42_15_724.gif

Deform rig:
    Record_2016_12_23_22_43_16_712.gif

Re targeted to multiple meshes in Unity:
    Record_2016_12_23_22_41_16_612.gif

50. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Nice work Raven - you progress is evident in the images.
    Can you explain further the shader work you performed?
    Are these models vertex shaded or flat textured with solid color textures.

Im getting ready to begin work on a large number of low poly assets. Any hint at Unity workflow to make the models look good is welcome. :)

RavenOfCode likes this.