Search Unity

Games WIP shooter game based on Mars

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by jackson_31, Jun 22, 2017.

1. jackson_31

jackson_31

This is something Ive been working on. Still thinking of more ideas to make it fun...

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  2. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Your terrain looks really nice and realistic... but it completely clashes with the kind of styling of the spaceship. It makes it look like the spaceship is floating on top of some kind of 'video background' or something.

I guess you gotta think about gameplay, what does the person do... do they rescure? pick stuff up? get powerups? is it a shootemup or a strategy thing or a race against time or?

3. neoshaman

neoshaman

You need a drop shadow just right under the ship to assess height, RIGHT NOW.

4. uvavoo

uvavoo

Yes, looking good. Martian terrain looks great,but I agree with above poster, ship needs to match the realism, looks a bit cartooney at the moment, and yes, casting a shadow would be good. But looking good so far.

5. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Depending on your art skills you can go either way. I'd just recolor the terrain... saturate it and play with contrast reduction between between the ship and terrain so they better match. Mainly because I think striving for realistic looks is more trouble than it is worth but just my opinion (and a lot of that is based on my art skills).

I'd probably be tempted to market it as "remember those laser disc games with video backgrounds? This is inspired by those!" then problem solved with no graphics work needed and a marketing angle added all in one. :)

6. jackson_31

jackson_31

Yes the ship definitely needs to be changed its just a placeholder for now. I think instead of spending my time trying to find nice assets for this on asset store I will just post to upwork for a 3d programmer. not sure If I should do this at the end when everything/ gameplay/sound /UI is ready or do it now.

some of the ideas I have for now are shooter, pick up powerups that do crazy things like make sheep explode, radar, HUD

7. jackson_31

jackson_31

Yep, Agree. Ill keep using asset store for now. But later might higher just 1 graphics designer to do the overall graphics for the game to make it consistent.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  8. jackson_31

jackson_31

What if I eliminate the spaceship completely and use first person view with HUD similar to this... Im thinking of going this route. it will change the game mechanics though.. I guess Ill just have to experiment and play test to see if this is fun.
    http://imgur.com/gallery/SKmwI