Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Assets RockStudio V2.3.2

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by alexanderameye, Apr 8, 2017.

?

How much would you pay for this tool

Poll closed May 2, 2017.
  1. 0 Schmeckles

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 5 Flurbo's

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. 10 Smidgen

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  4. 15 Squanches

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. I'll give you everything in the world, just bring back Szechuan sauce

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Hello, thanks for stopping by!

This is the work-in-progress thread for RockStudio, a procedural rock generator designed for the purpose of creating lowpoly and stylized rock structures in your game with just a few button clicks! This is the WIP thread where I'll share development updates. For the support forums, click here.

FEATURES:
    • Procedurally generate low-poly rocks within seconds
    • Multiple preset options that determine what shape your rock will be
    • Randomization/Seed system, random seeds, custom seeds,...
    • Settable vertex count (use presets or set a custom value)
    • Material manager, automatically assign a material to the cube, use one material or choose randomly between a collection of materials
    • Saves rocks in your scene as game objects
    • Export the rocks as .FBX, .asset or .prefab
    • System to create complex rock structures like arches and caves (sculpt mode)
    • System to compose a rock group easily (compose mode)
    • Mesh combiner tool
    • Easy to use collider settings
    • Intuitive and beautiful UI
    • Easy to use placement tools to choose where you want to generate your rock
    • Documentation file (WIP)
    • A rock brush to quickly 'paint' small rocks
    • Procedural UV mapping

DEMO SCENES CREATED WITH ROCKSTUDIO:

For more visuals, click here.

Cheers, Alex

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  2. josehzz112

josehzz112

Looks good, would like to see how's the workflow to generate a rock/crystal, also you should include as a base shape a piramid or a cone, some of them are similar but I think including that will add a lot of variety.

alexanderameye likes this.
  3. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

I'll create a tutorial video soon to showcase the work flow. It's basically just 'pick the base shape', 'adjust some sliders', 'press generate'.

For the base shapes I just looked at real-world crystal shapes but you're right I should add other shapes like cones and pyramids too! Thanks,

Alex

Edit: maybe I could also do a diamond shape and heptagonals, octagonals,...

josehzz112 likes this.
  4. Even though i also have a Rock Generator for sale, this looks really cool man! Best of luck!

5. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Thanks! I have tons of improvements planned! I'm really starting to get into procedural generation and I'm loving it!

Alex

6. C3P

C3P

very interested in this asset, can't wait to see more advanced features

7. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

RockGen is currently not my main project though, but it will receive new features, that's for sure! I might increase the price a bit when new features get added, so get it while it's low :)

Alex

PS: I created a twitter account where you can follow my progress as a developer, check it out!

https://twitter.com/blacksadunity

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  8. yohami

yohami

Good stuff

9. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Thanks!

10. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Might be cool to be able to warp the resulting rocks a bit by some form of modifier, just wondering if that's possible.

pixelsteam likes this.
  11. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

That's a cool idea! Will add it to my wish list of features!

12. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

ROCKSTUDIO V2

new features:

• Totally redesigned UI
    • 3 new rock generation modes (regular, sculpt and compose)
    • Improved workflow
    • Optimization settings (such as a mesh combiner)
    • More rock saving options
    • RockStudio can now save as .fbx!
    • Support for more rounded rocks!
    REGULAR MODE:
    The regular mode of RockStudio, is the default mode. It will generate basic rocks based on lattice systems, at exactly the place you want in your scene! I'm not going give a picture of the UI for now, I'm afraid somebody is going to copy it

SCULPT MODE:

Sculpt mode, is what I previously called 'composition mode'. It allows you to quickly sketch a shape of a rock, and then generate and save it. It has two modes 'fill' and 'outline'. With the outline mode, you can quickly generate complex structures like arches and caves! Something you will not be able to do with other similar rock generation assets.

COMPOSE MODE:
    Compose mode, let's you place several rocks on top of each other or next to each other. It works with a handy gizmo tool and let's you create cool looking rocky 'hills' or just more interesting rock structures.

OPTIMIZATION:
    RockStudio comes with a very handy new feature, that let's you combine meshes to improve performance! For example if you created a cool rock composition that consists of 50 rocks, just combine the rocks and voila, you have combined them into one mesh with just a click!

When saving a rock, you can also select whether your rock should have a RigidBody attached to it or not. You can also select which type of collider you want, box colliders or mesh colliders.

EXPORTING:
    RockStudio can now export to .fbx, and it will include the material!

RavenOfCode likes this.
  13. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Made with RockStudio!

Edit: I'm not completely happy with this scene, mostly because of the water but I'm working on a new scene :)

14. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Texture, shader and substance support, coming soon to RockStudio along with other cool features!

twitchfactor likes this.
  15. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

RockStudio V2.3 will support multiple materials when combining meshes!

twitchfactor likes this.
  16. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Quick Update:
    My work laptop is still being repaired so development is halted at the moment. V2.3 is pretty much done and should be live begin September. After that I'll start working on V3.0 of RockStudio, the biggest update yet. RockStudio 3.0 will feature an all new UI that allows for faster and more intuitive Rock Generation as well as a big update to the rock generation itself. There will be more rock settings than ever before, resulting in better looking rocks and crystals. If there are any request for V3.0, let me know and I'll see what I can do.
    The price of RockStudio 3.0 will exceed the current price point although I have not yet decided on anything exact.
    I am very excited to start working on RockStudio 3.

Kind Regards,

Alex

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  17. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Quick Update:
    My laptop is still being repaired, but I found another laptop to work on so that'll work as a temporary solution. RockStudio V2.3 was just submitted to the asset store and should be live within the next week!

Features:
    • Procedural UV mapping (texture, material, substance and shader support)
    • Lots of bug fixes and improvements
    • A new handy scene overlay window
    • New UI
    • Added undo/redo functionality everywhere
    Instead of putting more features into this version, I decided to put all of my energy in the upcoming V3.0. This version will be a complete re-write of the tool. Main features will include:
    • Completely redesigned UI for better workflow
    • Improved performance
    • Reworked rock creation
    • Dents, cracks and wear
    There are a lot of planned features for this version that I don't want to announce yet, but stay tuned!

Thank you for purchasing RockStudio and for the patience the last few months.

Regards,

Alex

EDIT: There were some last-minute bugs with the multiple material mesh combining, so that feature will be pushed to V3.0

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    twitchfactor likes this.
  18. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

RockStudio V3.0 - The New UI
    In V3.0 I will be creating a new UI for the tool. The goal is to create a more minimal window that maintains all of the functionality. I'll be creating custom styles for enums/buttons/color fields/... to make the editor window look better, while still maintaining a 'native' look.

Everything you see is of course temporary, these are just some quick tests with some icon placeholders, and all the different GUI elements I need to create the window.

All thoughts/questions/requests are of course welcome! I will update this post with all the iterations of the editor window.
    I re-built the editor window code from scratch so that it's easily extendable and easy to maintain. Now I'll be creating custom styles for all the different GUI elements. Once I have a decent version of the editor window, I will be coding in all the functionality.
    The whole goal of this re-code of RockStudio is to create a system that will allow me to easily maintain and extend the tool. A good example of this is that now in the new editor window code, if I want the toolbar to exist of 6 columns instead of a grid of 2x3, I just need to change 1 variable and all the other GUI elements will automatically re-adjust.

Have a nice day!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  19. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Quick Update:

The GUI has been further fleshed out and V2.3 has been released. I won't be able to work on RockStudio for the next 2 weeks, but after that, I'm back!
    Stay tuned for more updates on RockStudio! You can also follow my Twitter @MurakamiUnity for regular updates! I will also soon open up a Trello board so you can check that to see the progress of V3.0.

Have a nice September,

Alex

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  20. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I would love something like this for creating realistic looking rocks and boulders.

21. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Hey!

You can create more realistic rocks by setting the shading to 'smooth' in the settings, putting a higher vertex count, and then applying a realistic rock texture using the new procedural UV mapping algorithm in V2.3!

I'll try to add some more examples on here and in the docs to show how to create more realistic looking rocks!

StevenPicard likes this.
  22. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

Awesome. Thanks for letting me know.

23. Billy4184

Billy4184

Just a suggestion to put some images in the OP post. You currently have just 1 and it's hidden in a spoiler, that's not enough to catch the eye.

24. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Great suggestion!!

25. Epsilone

Epsilone

I was searching way to render cube a bit more "lowPoly style" than the unity cube and Dude! What you do is awesome! I was planning to download some free cube model on the web but your tool offer much more.

I haven't begin to code the game I plan to do with these cube but when I begin it, I will totally come back here to buy your tool (And It will be my first purchase for game asset in my life).

Also the temple image made with your stuff and water is from Jolix is my wallpaper now :p

26. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

That's wonderful to hear, thank you for the support! :)

27. Epsilone

Epsilone

Thanks you for you work ^^

I just noticed that you are a "Belgian engineering student"? I've been graduated from University of Liege 2 years ago (ingénieur civil en informatique of course ;) ) so if you have difficulties with some courses don't hesitate to ask for help :p

28. Fedora_Dev

Fedora_Dev

Hello Alexanderameye!

I've just purchased the v2.3 RockStudio asset, but I can't seem to figure out any of what I'm doing. It seems the documentation is for a previous version, as the steps don't really translate. Are there any videos out there that showcase how one can use this tool to make rocks?

Also, what's the progress on the v3?

29. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Hello, thank you for purchasing the asset!

So yeah the documentation is outdated, my sincerest apologies for that. V3.0.0 is close to being done I would say although I don't have much time to work on it at the moment. For V3.0.0 I'm rebuilding all the features from V2.3.0 from the ground up and now I have a much more polished version of the asset.

For the current version follow these steps to get started after you imported the asset.

1) Click Tools>Rock Studio>Rock Studio. This will open up the main menu of the asset, it has 7 tabs.
    2) Go to the first tab (create), pick a rock type and set the parameters you'd like
    3) For position select 'pick location'
    4) Click place and generate. A gizmo will appear on the screen on your mouse position, click where you want to generate the rock.
    5) If you're happy with the shape of the rock, click 'save rock' which will save the model as an asset in your scene
    6) Go to the fifth tab (export) and drag in the rock from your hierarchy, click export and pick a location. Now your rock will be saved in your project files as well.

If you need more specific assistance, feel free to email me at alexanderameye@gmail.com!

I could also send you a test version of V3.0.0 if you'd like, however I haven't built in the mesh exporting yet so you will just be able to put the rocks in your scene.

Regards,

Alex

Edit this is a current view of V3.0.0

30. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Hello, it's been a while since I updated this thread. I'm currently still working on V3.0 of the asset. Doing some big code restructures and redesigns but the asset is taking shape. I'm not able to work on the asset until the 1st of February, but after that I hopefully have a free week where I can finish the asset and publish it on the store.

I will be publishing V3.0.0 as a 'beta' on the store. It will be the same asset so if you purchased the asset you will just have to update the asset. I'm hoping to get the update out before March with other updates following later in the year.

Regards and thank you so much for the patience. RockStudio is currently my priority in terms of asset development.

Alex

Hitch42 likes this.
  31. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

As promised I've been working on V3.0 and it is almost ready for release. I will create a new forum thread soon since this is really a kind of re-release for the asset and it deserves a fresh start in my eyes.

Latest feature I've been working on is a way to add 'material palettes'. Create a palette and when you place a rock it will have one of the 4 materials.

Regards,

Alex

Hitch42 likes this.
  32. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

I have moved over to a new thread for RockStudio 3 here! Please use that one in the future.