Search Unity

Retro Aesthetics - 80's movies inspired look

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Dustyroom, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Dustyroom

Dustyroom

Retro Aesthetics
    asset provides all resources to turn a game of any genre into a stylish 80’s movies inspired title. It covers object materials, a full-screen camera effect, textures and UI, sound effects and music, as well as color presets and demos of the asset in action. We made it easily extensible to give you a possibility to tune to the unique needs of your game.

Web page
    Documentation

Last edited: May 7, 2020
  2. fancyferret

fancyferret

Oh man! Super sweet, radical 80s goodness!

I was making an endless runner game recently that has an almost identical style to this, complete with the sun skybox, palm trees and VHS distortion. I need the car to top it off and will get this just for the car and buildings I think.

As a child of the 80s I gotta say this is really nice work!

Attached Files:

3. Danirey

Danirey

Very cool! Bought it!

4. Rexoto-Games

Rexoto-Games

Do you have an android demo to test performance? I assume all of the image effects are unusable?

human890209 and ethanwgross like this.
  5. deciduous

deciduous

Just purchased the asset, and I'm excited to use it! However it is throwing a good amount of errors on import that relate to some Standard Asset script references that have gone missing. Unfortunately, I am unable to use the asset in its current state.

I am using Unity 2017.1

Is there anything you can do to help me?

Attached Files:

6. Dustyroom

Dustyroom

Please look through the PDF that comes with the asset. It can be also found here.

The first sentence in the doc:
    "Before doing anything, please import the listed below Standard Assets and Cinematic Image Effects asset into your Retro Aesthetics project."

Have you tried this?

7. deciduous

deciduous

Derp. It auto imported the Standard Assets files when I brought in your package, but I had to reimport the camera scripts. I guess I assumed it brought in everything the first time!

8. ZomBJ

ZomBJ

Love the asset! However, I am having some trouble. I'm sure it's an easy fix and I'm just overlooking something. I have the pack working perfectly in the game preview window, but when I build it and run as an .exe the camera effects don't show up. I still get the movement from the glitch, but no color bleed and no static noise.

9. ZomBJ

ZomBJ

Oh, nevermind. You had a fix for it further down in the documentation that I somehow missed. Again, awesome asset! And A+ Documentation. :)

10. human890209

human890209

I'm wondering if the Camera Post-Effect works on an Android phone.

11. JViz

JViz

A reviewer said that this asset doesn't work with Android. Is this true?

12. killerbake

killerbake

On the demo scene when clickin play it doesnt load the next scene. audio plays though for clicking.

13. Dustyroom

Dustyroom

Can you please share a screenshot of the problem? That way we can resolve this more efficiently. We will also need to know your development and target OS and the Unity version.

14. Dustyroom

Dustyroom

The package does work for Anrdoid. We're working with the reviewer to on this.

15. letoctobercome

letoctobercome

Assets/PostProcessing/Editor/PropertyDrawers/MinDrawer.cs(6,34): error CS0104: 'MinAttribute' is an ambiguous reference between 'UnityEngine.PostProcessing.MinAttribute' and 'UnityEngine.MinAttribute'

Hi getting this error when trying to open up one of the demos in Unity 2018.3. I have imported standard processing and post processing stack prior to retro aesthetics. Thanks

Attached Files:

16. Dustyroom

Dustyroom

Hi! This error is due to Unity's Post-processing Stack V1 being not supported anymore. We're releasing an update that switches Retro Aesthetics to the new post-processing stack V2. Stay tuned!

Meanwhile, you can already switch to V2 by going to Window -> Package Manager -> Post-processing, but you'll need to reconfigure the camera effects.

edhjones likes this.
  17. blitzjoans

blitzjoans

Hi! Does it support LWRP?

18. Dustyroom

Dustyroom

Hi, no in general RA doesn't support LWRP, except of Camera image effect.

blitzjoans likes this.
  19. edhjones

edhjones

Hello there! Any idea when we might get this update? The effects are *AWESOME* ... I just wish they'd work with the V2 stack. Ta!

20. Dustyroom

Dustyroom

The update has just been released. Thank you!

edhjones likes this.
  21. Red_Dragon69

Red_Dragon69

Hi :)
    first of all, AWESOME asset!!! I love it and play around with it all the time!!!

Do you plan to adapt your shaders to support LWRP (or is it now called URP)? The performance is already pretty good in VR (~90fps) :) but it would be great for VR in combination with architectural data, as they often need instanced materials for Single Pass Instanced rendering, because of the big amount of data.

Best regards :)

In case anyone is interested, what I have tested this scene with:
    Unity 2019.1.4f1
    MRTK v2.0.0 RC2.1
    Acer WMR headset

NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1080 MaxQ

RetroAestVr.png

22. GrenadeTree

GrenadeTree

Does this work with URP?

23. Dustyroom

Dustyroom

Generally URP is not supported in this asset. Some parts of it will still work, e.g. the skybox, UI, textures and models.

24. mandeep-wsu

mandeep-wsu

I was getting a flicker of light with the post processing bloom turned on. Even in the demo scenes. I played with the Threshold value. Setting it to 80 or 90 seems to get rid of it incase someone runs into that in the future.

Attached Files:

25. Kalmana

Kalmana

Will this asset eventually be updated for use with URP? Or is that not in the works at all?

26. Dustyroom

Dustyroom

There is currently no plans to add URP support.

27. olarox

olarox

Hi,

I have played around some with the asset and it is great. One question/problem I have is that when I export my game to a PC or WebGL game the light sources do not work. This might have to do with my own inexperience but do you have any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?

In Unity gamemode:

upload_2023-4-18_22-26-42.png

In WebGL

upload_2023-4-18_22-26-49.png

28. Dustyroom

Dustyroom

Hi! That's strange, the scene should look the same in the Editor and build. Some questions to help debug this:
    - Are those actual lights or specular reflections?
    - Is HDR enabled in the build?
    - Does it look the same if the image effect is disabled?

29. olarox

olarox

Hi,

Thank you for your quick response!

After some troubleshooting I solved the problem by going into project settings and changing the quality yo Ultra on WebGL builds.

Thanks for a great asset