Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[WIP] Release Manager. (Installer, Patcher, Launcher)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Travis-Bulford, Mar 25, 2015.

1. MegaFlash

MegaFlash

Hi Travis,

Trying to compile and it is saying that 6 files will require disk space they cannot be process. Have 113GB available and level have change of around 2.5gb each?

Can you help?

Thanks
    P.S. Tried deleting the Release and create a new one, getting same error (but with different files?) See second screenshot

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  2. SciePro

SciePro

Hello, we just purchased release manager and were quite happy with it until we tried to make the first patch.

"
    ERROR
    1 file will require disk to compile they can not be processed

\PantropyClient_Data\resources.assets.resS required 36,24 gB to compile
    "

Are you sure that it´s disk space and not ram? We need a fix for this soon.

Best,

Sebastian Kaulitzki

3. cookimage

cookimage

Not sure if he is replying to the post here as we posted that bug already on the 22. Sad

4. UltraTM

UltraTM

First of all. Very nice and awesome tool really :)

I have only 3 questions.

1. Is it possible to be able to have multiple games in one launcher? Or would it come? (like Blizzard Launcher)
    Would be an feature that the Release Manager would be fantastic.

2. Would it be possible to include the config file into the exe file for safety reasons?
    People can see the URL and so in it. Would love to have something "compiled"

3. Protect starting game from the exe. Message need to be start via the launcher.

Greetings UltraTM

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  5. Travis-Bulford

Travis-Bulford

Hello,

Sorry this took a while to get back to you on, we got busy with a local show and I missed the notification that there was a new post here.

It will start doing that from version 0.2.0 that is the next release. I am back developing that right now. The bigest change is MAC and we still struggling with some aspect of MAC deployment.

6. Travis-Bulford

Travis-Bulford

Hello,

1) Yes you can have multiple games on one launcher. Of course you would be patching all of them as if they were one game. I am not sure its ideal that way.

2) Interesting idea I think it is possible actually, will look into it.

3) This can be done by adding environmental variables into the launcher and checking them in your game. I will look for an automatic way to do this for people using unity with the unity prefab in.

UltraTM likes this.
  7. Travis-Bulford

Travis-Bulford

I have not been getting notifications from the forums so was unaware of the postings here sorry about that. Are you talking about the needs disk issue or something else?

8. UltraTM

UltraTM

Very nice.
    if you need something to test would be awesome.

As one game is difficult yes. But i think with your coding skills it would be easy to also make 1 launcher for more games. If you are an Dev which has multiple games so you could use 1 launcher for it :)

And i forgot 1 important thing for us.

Would it be possible to translate the unity settings also?

Or maybe even design also this window like the launcher?

Also some other stuff:

1.Pause Button
    2.Able to limit the download speed.(Use in an settings menu)
    3.Repair Button (use in an settings menu)
    4.Redownload Button (use in an settings menu)

i think then the launcher has everything needed hehe :D

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  9. Travis-Bulford

Travis-Bulford

Hello,

Ok so the issue is not that you have too little disk space. (I will look at rewording that message) Its that the file will require you a file too large for compiling with your ram. (You need about 12x the ram as the largest file you want to compile.

To compile that project you will need to add extra memory (or perhaps allocate it to Release Manager if you have enough ram) alternatively you can check the Use Disk checkbox below the number of compile threads. This will enable the software to use your disk drive for compilation. You should know this will take very long (hours)

Travis

10. Travis-Bulford

Travis-Bulford

Thanks I will keep that in mind.

I will think further on this, there is a really interesting opportunity I just need to complete the stuff at hand first.

Internationalization is an issue we need to tackle soon. It effects not just the settings but also all the other strings in the project.

This is something others have also requested especially when updating before you run is critical. We have this tagged for operation when we do the persistent partial downloads. Right now if you restart it restarts the download.

We have this marked with Proxy settings. The ability to configure how the patcher/launcher operates.

This does exist already. If you add a CheckFiles button it will check all the files and repair the broken ones. If you don't add it this process will happen every time someone launches.

Not sure when this would be useful. If check files works and repairs any issues how would this button function differently?

Thanks, its still missing quite a bit of stuff we want to see in it, buts its great to know its getting the job done for you.

UltraTM likes this.
  11. UltraTM

UltraTM

Thx for the answers.

Here an link where you see the nice stuff:

more games. Pause Button if you maybe like to pause cause of an other download quickly instead of reopen then. Settings Button. Multiple Games and also the Download progress on the Game icon :)

to get some ideas

But most recommend would be to have almost the stuff in the exe file. Like the images and so which are included. You can change so much stuff on the launcher when you installed it as an player^^

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
    Travis-Bulford likes this.
  12. UltraTM

UltraTM

And can you please include normal HTML display support. So we could use some nice stuff inside the launcher like click on an picture and open an popup and such stuff.
    This is one thing missing we run into it now cause we are porting ou launcher at the moment to Release Manager

1 "Bug": First download will not end with an Ready you will see the last file with 100%

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  13. Travis-Bulford

Travis-Bulford

We have an HTML5 panel in development. Its not as flexible in some ways (you can adjust the scroll bar for example) but it runs full HTML5 complaint sites.

This is resolved in the Beta Stream, I can make that version available to you if you want. I would recommend it mostly for testing since I do at times introduce completely breaking bugs. This version is nearly ready MAC is creating some pain for us (really not MAC users so pretty lost in the MAC universe).

UltraTM likes this.
  14. UltraTM

UltraTM

Would be nice to test. i dont know if i could get into the Beta Stream :)
    I could also test stuff if you like our client is 12GB big. Would need a big mount of ram to build :(
    unity asset files are up2 3GB big now for us.
    648MB file with disc compiling took almost 1 hour.

One other thing. Would it be possible to make an option when you not use the update button to announce the update will be xxxMB would you like to load it now? yes/no yes starts download no closes the launcher or soemthing like that.
    or is this handled in some way with the update (upgrade function) button?

Mostly it is nice if the users could really see how much to load.

But the Release Manager is an really awesome program.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  15. SciePro

SciePro

We got the problem fixed. Thanks for your help Travis! It was insufficient ram. We upgraded the workstation we have the release manager on and got our first patch done. That was working fine but now we have a problem with the second patch. (see screenshot) We need a fix for this ASAP please.

Attached Files:

16. SciePro

SciePro

Has anyone had this problem too? We´re not getting an answer from the support.

17. UltraTM

UltraTM

We have the third patch now.
    and on every start of the launcher he updates it again. Then finished start game after next start of the launcher update again

18. SciePro

SciePro

We have requested a refund. This is not going to work for us. We don´t pay 150 USD for a product that doesn´t work as described and get no support and no answer after 6 mails and waiting for over a week.

19. omerelfassy

omerelfassy

Hi,
    I've been a client of Celestial Games (Release Manager) for several months now and I'm really happy to continue to be so for the foreseeable future.
    They have a great support, people and overall - an excellent program.
    I agree that it is not perfect - but they are the best you can find right now in my opinion.
    I've tested several programs before I chose RM and RM is by far superior to all other programs. (Its important to say that all the programs I've tested cost 100$ or more).
    I agree that sometimes they are unavailable for immediate respond but once they see your message, they will respond.

Travis-Bulford likes this.
  20. SciePro

SciePro

We also think that it´s a great tool. But situations like these would be a huge pain in the ass once our game is released.

21. Travis-Bulford

Travis-Bulford

Hi Eraxion,

I have no problem refunding you. Its a shame we have lost your confidence. I was away the last few days. The product is still in beta due to the huge number of permutations possible in the market space. I understand if that is not suitable to you, hopefully when the product is feature complete you will consider it again.

Travis

22. Travis-Bulford

Travis-Bulford

I have resolved the compiler error that was causing these issues. Please update and recompile that release.

My apologies for the inconvenience.

Just to make sure you understand the solution you will need to

1) Update Release Manager
    2) Recompile the broken version
    3) upload that broken version.

23. Travis-Bulford

Travis-Bulford

Please email me directly so I can get you into the Beta stream

travis@celestial-games.com

24. SciePro

SciePro

Hi Travis, thanks for your reply. It would be helpful if you setup an auto responder next time to inform us that you´re not available. Thanks for the fix. We´ll give it another try. Best, Sebastian

25. Travis-Bulford

Travis-Bulford

Quite right, although it appears this was a spam filter issue :/ will have to try check there periodically.

26. HitsuSan

HitsuSan

How's this going? It's been a long time since the last time i've visited !

27. Tea_Man88

Tea_Man88

Just purchased Release Manager today, I was just wondering, when changing the Unity Player settings via the Release Manager Launcher, the dialog does not remember the settings for resolution or graphics presets. Is there a way to make the launcher remember the selection, or is this still in development?

28. Travis-Bulford

Travis-Bulford

Hello,

The Launcher should remember the settings. They get saved into a configuration file. Please email me directly and I will assist, I often miss notifications for posts here so its easier to get emails. travis@celestial-games.com

Tea_Man88 likes this.
  29. Travis-Bulford

Travis-Bulford

Hello,

Going well we have someone new assisting with the change list. We need to resolve launching on MAC and we ready for the next big release.

HitsuSan likes this.
  30. cookimage

cookimage

We are still getting this error, still cant compile files because of ram message. Makes no sense when you can compile the same patch as a new one fine by just deleting the old version and doing a fresh one. If there was a file that was to big it would not even do a compile from scratch.

31. Travis-Bulford

Travis-Bulford

Your first compile does not create patches since there was no previous version, so effectively that compile is all new files. The memory intensive bit is around file patch building. How much ram have you allocated to Release Manager? You adjust the memory allocated in File->Configure Memory. You need slightly more then about 12x the largest file in your project. What is the largest file?

32. UltraTM

UltraTM

The RAM usage is also hard for us. Since unity makes very big asset files.

Would it be not possible to create patches with an other method too?
    I used a lot of other launcher and patch stuff on the asset store and they where also quick but had never ram issues.

Would be expensive to buy an 32GB RAM machine only for creating patches. And with only harddisk it is sooo slow.

33. cookimage

cookimage

Thanks for the replay, let me test that.

34. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

Hi,

I tried the Release Manager trial version. I want to setup the Release Manager with FTP. But I get the following error message with all FTP setups.

http://imageshack.com/a/img924/5408/C3fXbN.jpg

The expected file read back is exactly the same as actual file read back.

Marko

Attached Files:

35. Anubis75

Anubis75

Hello,

what i have to to if the Upload destination is changed, in the client is the config.properties file with the download infos.
    But how i can update this proberties? There is a way?

Thank you

Cheers

36. Anubis75

Anubis75

Im Waiting now 20 Days of a answer, also i wrote a Mail. No Responce....

37. Killersan

Killersan

Hello,
    We have another issue with RM.
    We build project in Unity: 7GB in total. Compile time in RM: 4 hours.
    Then we added another scene to the project, Unity build: 13GB in total. Since 72 hours it is still compiling, while it is not using any server resources at all. We have 10 of 11 files, while 10 files were differed within 6 hours, the 11th is still in progress since about 66 hours.
    Server has 32 CPU cores and 128 GB of ram, drives are in RAID 10 on fiber.
    Server is using about 5% of it's total resources.

Such problem eliminates this software, because we won't be able to prepare critical patch within short time frame.
    Let me know if You will have any thoughts what can cause it.

38. MMOERPG

MMOERPG

Hi Travis!

I just post an issue I was having but have resolved it. It appears that the patch build executable must be named the same as the initial release.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  39. Rakinare

Rakinare

Hey, is this still in development? :)

40. UltraTM

UltraTM

One of the best launcher, patchers out there and no answer anymore :(

41. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hey there

As far as I know it is, the notification system of this forum has always been broken.
    I have the developer's private tel contact details, I will contact him and poke him to come look

UltraTM likes this.
  42. Travis-Bulford

Travis-Bulford

That was just done. I am pushing the 0.2.0 version out. It can now break your file into smaller chunks and patch these. It's does mean the patch will be slightly larger. But it will compile faster and will work with less ram.

43. Travis-Bulford

Travis-Bulford

Hello Marko,

I can't read the rest of the message is indeed the files are identical there is something peculiar happening. If possible could you email me the logs they accessible from the menu. It will be easier to support you from email. trabis@celestial-games.com

Bartolomeus755 likes this.
  44. Travis-Bulford

Travis-Bulford

Hello,

I pushed out version 0.2.0 today. It has alternatives to the memory now. Allowing files to be cut into smaller parts then patched. It does mean slightly larger patches but faster compiles and less RAM hungry.

45. Travis-Bulford

Travis-Bulford

Hi Anubis,

This has been a frequently asked for feature. Its not really easy to implement with any level of certainty. I can not see how to control that change since some people might not have logged in yet.

I have considered it could be updated at a version. So all version after that will download from the new location, but you would require to keep both the old and the new location available.

What we do is we use cname records on out DNS from day one so we can redirect them if need be. Not sure that would be suitable.

Regards
    Travis

Anubis75 likes this.
  46. Travis-Bulford

Travis-Bulford

Hello everyone,

The forums don't always notify me, and I have neglected to check them. We still very much working on RM. I am pushing a new build today with many many new features. Long overdue. Been trying to get too much in instead of releasing as we go.

Please if you need support email me on travis@celestial-games.com. I will reply.

Regards
    Travis

47. Travis-Bulford

Travis-Bulford

Hello,

The patching is a progressing search and scan through the files. So essentially effort is n squared where n is the number of bytes. Unfortunately no threading can help speed up the searches or scans due tot he recursive nature of the algorithm. To alleviate the issue we have added a bock size in version 0.2.0 that will limit the blocks being compiled (The blocks also compile more then one at a time). This drastically cuts down compile time (most of the cases, I have seen some smaller files that just have very complex internal data that can take long too).

Please retry with 0.2.0 setting a smaller block size.

Travis

48. UltraTM

UltraTM

Very nice.
    is it an beta build or an normal ?
    I still can only load 0.1.9 at the moment

49. Travis-Bulford

Travis-Bulford

Took long to upload its live now.

It's the same work that was in the Beta. I will push out some changes to the beta this week.

50. Travis-Bulford

Travis-Bulford

Release 0.2.0 (1 April 2016)
    Release Notes
    The most significant changes are MAC support (still in beta) and files >2gig now supported. Many bug fixes and smaller improvements.
    General
    • Release Manager JRE upgrade.
    • Help links now link to Wiki pages when possible.
    Launcher
    • MAC Launcher (beta: might still be issues use with care).
    • Performance improvements to show and hide of groups and labels.
    • Removed the version from the Launcher title.
    • [FIX] Versions are now URL encoded so you can use non URL safe characters.
    • [FIX] XML parsing was substituting values it should not have.
    • [FIX] Operating system interfered with some system properties on launch.
    • [FIX] Downloads repeating for failed checksum tests.
    • [FIX] Some group conditions were not working correctly.
    • [FIX] Progress bar displays correctly now, was incorrectly cutting the image parts up.
    Compiler
    • MAC Compiler.
    • Handling of files over 2gig.
    • Now can cut files into smaller parts then patch saving time and memory at the cost of larger patches.
    • [FIX] Downloads repeating for failed checksum tests.
    • [FIX] 32Bit compiler was failing to handle values larger then 0x7fffffff.
    Packager
    • MAC Packager.
    Designer
    • Test the view for various conditions to see how your design looks.

Koolaps and UltraTM like this.