Search Unity

Games [WIP] Outback Defender

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Almazi, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Almazi

Almazi

Hey-hey people!
    We are the Crazy Radbits Squad!

And we are here to announce to you our superawesome game OUTBACK DEFENDER!
    Post-apocalyptic hardcore game from fans to fans! Everything you love: cruel wasted world, full of mutants and psychos!

Our game is tactical shooter for Android & iOS. That means you’ll be able to play straight in your phone all day all night at work, at home and on a potty!

You’ll have 3 different squaddies under control to destroy all the mutants, gangsters, giant monsters and whatever else you meet on your way.

What else?
    Our setting! Post-nuclear AUSTRALIA! Take everything deadly you have there now, multiply and you got it – Outback Defender Universe.

So what are you waiting for? Subscribe and stay tuned!

This is going to be HOT AS HELL!

Join us!

FB: https://www.facebook.com/OutbackDefender

Instagram & twitter @outbackdefender

VK: https://vk.com/outbackdefender

You can already check out alpha version of our game!

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.KGF.OutbackDefender
    For iOS write us on e-mail outbackdefender.info@gmail.com

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  2. ragalios

ragalios

this is going to be cool! feels like old times with Fallout 2 ^_^

Almazi likes this.
  3. Almazi

Almazi

:)

4. Pasha_85

Pasha_85

Hi! The game looks interesting, but why is "Radbit"? Is it misspell or you mean it? ;)

5. Almazi

Almazi

This is a RADiation rabBIT ;)

6. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Looks interesting.
    The frame rate seems to be not great at this point. Do you know what is causing such choppy play?

The popup for the critical hit locations (head, tail, torso, etc) looks a bit annoying. This could be placed on screen on left or right for just a couple seconds to allow the player to gain that information while continuing to play.
    See Diablo3 mission updates for an example how this could be provided without a full screen popup.

Love the Radbit concept! Are the rabbits in Australia Jack rabbits, similar to western US, or are they more similar to cotton tails and snow shoe rabbits? I believe they were imported from Europe right?

7. Almazi

Almazi

Hey! Thank you for your opinion!
    We think we know what you mean by "choppy play" and we will fix this :) But just in case tell us your device if you don't mind))
    Talking about popup, yeah, sure we will improve that, we are experimenting with forms now, so thank you, we will check out Diablo decision, maybe it will fit us.

We love Radbits too!)))) (even put them in the company name, haha)) Talking about them, rabbits are real problem now in Australia. They were brought there from UK during colonization and quickly conquered all the territory.
    Our rabbits (Radbits - radioactive rabbits;)) are not only everywhere now but also become rather big and... you know) Crazy) And mutated of course

8. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Oh - oops - my feedback was from the video only, possibly the recording software was slowing down the fps. :)

9. Almazi

Almazi

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  10. Almazi

Almazi

In Outback Defender, we decided to focus not only on the gameplay but also on the narrative. How do you think - how much this decision can this be justified in the modern mobile games? We chose the format of the comics for storytelling. Here is an example of game intro -

Also we have a prehistory. And now we are preparing comics based on it.

What do you think?
    We have fears that maybe many of our users just don’t need this? Tell us!

PhilippG likes this.
  11. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

I think this is a solid approach and 'gives' to a niche sub-set of mobile players who will enjoy the extra effort given to story elements. Personally I think it shows a higher level of polish that a minority of mobile players like to see.
    This statement is true - many mobile developers don't care about product quality and story elements.
    A great example of this 'cinematic' in action is Angry Birds - not many reviewers and players comment on the periodic story elements of Angry Birds but they are the first generation mobile 'cinematics' I can remember. Rovio used a tried and true technique to deliver story elements to players, a simple reward to the players for completing a set of levels, and to introduce new gameplay elements to the player.
    To me - this shows an increased desire to connect to players, tell a story which only a small percentage of players care about, but gives them am small something to enjoy.

Rovio also did this smartly - the 'cinematics' are not extensive in respect to development. They are comic strips which are minimally animated - so this isn't a huge lift/draw on development. Consider reviewing Angry Birds for a reference on how a successful company incorporated this element in there game smartly from the very beginning.

12. Almazi

Almazi

Thank you for your answer!

The example with Angry Birds is pretty revealing and very good of course!
    I myself am a big fan of a good story and a carefully written game world (oh, how I loved reading books in the Mass Effect game or the Elder Scrolls series of games, and it was fun watching the Angry Birds, of course)
    But the game Angry Birds has more "light" and casual gameplay than the Outback Defender. That is why the plot is presented quite simple. And a hardcore game requires more attention to the plot. But the mobile gaming platform also leaves its mark.
    As a result, we are now facing a problem with the presentation of the story - how much time to spend for this in the game. We came up with a big and diverse world, but still not sure how to introduce it in the best way...

13. Almazi

Almazi

pcg likes this.
  14. Pasha_85

Pasha_85

Hi, screenshot looks great!)
    Why do you need to do this?

15. Almazi

Almazi

We have a "middle poly" characters and I'm thinking about making separate low poly meshes to generate shadows.
    Have you had experience with something like that?

16. Almazi

Almazi