Search Unity

[WIP] Oh! I'm Getting Taller - Greenlight

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by endriuIT, Oct 23, 2016.

1. endriuIT

endriuIT

Hi everyone! We are a small italian team and we had introduced our game before for the 2015 Indie Game Maker Contest here. What happened is that we won the "Best Platform" prize and so we decided to develop the game further (which is why I am opening a new thread as the current build is NOT complete yet, while the previous version was, although it's obsolete and it can be closed now). We are now on Steam Greenlight and back here, asking for feedback on our demo build.

If you like what we do, you can VOTE for us on Steam Greenlight!

[WEBSITE] [FACEBOOK] [TWITTER]

BEWARE! Image-heavy presentation follows as spoiler.

A playable demo is available both through Greenlight and direct link here.

presents

In a grey world full of adults who just care about their business, youngsters tend to daydream and delve deep into their own fantasy realms.

Oh! I'm Getting Taller! is a light-hearted puzzle-platform game about a kid and his desire to grow up. Amazed, he notices that every day he grows so much that he can easily reach things he couldn't even see before. Through his eyes you will have to discover how his town changes from a grey piece of concrete to a vibrant imaginary world.

At the same time, you will have to interact with his family, friends, foes and why not, his first crush. Will his happiness and imagination survive until he reaches adulthood or will the world change him like it did with anyone else? Make the right (or wrong, that depends entirely on you) decisions and discover thanks to multiple endings how they affect his surroundings and his future!

• Wonderful, dreamlike hand drawn style
    • "Fog of war" that allows to see the world through the eyes of a child
    • Fresh, intriguing story
    • Minigames and secrets all tied to the narrative
    • Mix of action and puzzles
    • Many secrets and references to 90s childhood
    • Various endings influenced by player's choices

Try our DEMO here:
    http://www.indiexpo.net/it/games/oh-i-m-gettin-taller

TRAILER

SCREENSHOT

Elf Games Works is a small videogame development team founded in 2014. We love creating atmospheric stories while mixing up a captivating game experience with visually peculiar environments.

Programmer: Piero Dotti

Co-Programmers/Design: Andrea Fumagalli, Marco Buzzi (Guardian of Irael)

Artist: Fabiola Ennacrima

2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Looks like a pretty unique game. Nice to see some difference from the usual fps or same ol same ol platformer.
    IMO the aesthetic is what is going to bring people to the store page - but the gameplay is what is going sell this game - The game has to have some interesting gameplay elements.

So here is some feedback on the trailer which is the sales pitch for the game.
    Beautiful art. Nice work.
    The world seems very static - as it is - there needs to be more moving parts - or at least show the sections of the game that have more interactive elements. From the trailer - not much going on beyond walking around. The game has to have some fun gameplay elements that - after the person has checked out the page because the visuals look cool - the gameplay will seal the deal for the player to purchase the game. The trailer has to show these fun elements. Just walking around revealing the world - isn't fun, regardless how much walking sims may sell - those are not fun.

Try to be consistent in the presentation. The title of the game on steam is called Oh! I'm Getting Taller, but the thumbnail image says Oh! I'm gettin Taller. - which one is it? It looks like it was a mistake - one that should be corrected.
    And if that is a mistake - and not corrected - the prospective player may think - if they messed up on this very simple image - what else did they mess up on and not fix in the game? Maybe I should pass on this and buy something else.

There is no game description. People want a short synapses of what the game is about. Provide this to the customers so they can make an informed decision about the game. This will also drive traffic to the store page. Because this shows up as a info popup on other pages. Since your page doesn't have a description - nothing for your game pops up on other pages.

3. endriuIT

endriuIT

Hi Animator,

thanks for your in-depth review!
    • Static world: we have already been told that a few times. Our first thought was that yes, it surely lacks interactive and/or animated elements, but in general the world is consistent as there are no parts more animated than others or vice versa: it was a choice. But since now many are pointing this out, we'll think twice about it.
    • Gameplay elements: we will have to work on the trailer, that's for sure.
    • Title: it was a typo that appeared during the submission phase of the contest. We hadn't thought about fixing it yet but our artist is working on it as I write this.
    • Game description: I am sorry, but I'm not really getting this. Do you mean that no description appears whatsoever or do you think that what we wrote as description does not describe enough?
    Thanks again for your time and feedbacks, they were more than helpful!

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Sorry endriulT - I was mistaken about the missing description. It appears when a game is going through greenlight the description does not show up in the same place as it does when a game has already been greenlit. Seems like an odd change to the page layouts.

upload_2016-11-2_10-53-5.png