Search Unity

Games [WIP] - Horror - Survival - FPS

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by DanMat97, Jul 20, 2017.

1. DanMat97

DanMat97

#Closed

I am still working on the horror project. I'll create a new thread in future.
    Stay tuned ;)

Best regards,
    Daniel - Tecega Studios.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  2. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

I don't get it, you want to use the Amnesia name for your own game? That is simply not going to be possible, if that is indeed the case. Other than that, good luck with making the game.

3. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

I highly doubt that. Mario is just a name, but I doubt you'd be able to use that as a name for a game. But this is not strictly about the legality of using a name, it's that most fans (myself included) would not purchase a game that uses the name of a game, takes its inspiration from the same game, is supposed to be the "next" in the series, but isn't in any way shape or form developed by anyone affiliated with Frictional games. In any case, you would not be able to get away with using the logotype

I don't say this to trash your game or the idea behind it, but as far as naming goes, you are better off developing something that is truly yours and that you own and that will steer you clear of any type of legal troubles in the future.

If you want to use the word Amnesia, then add something before or after it and don't use the logotype.
    Edit: My point being, the game can be great in its own right. :)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    theANMATOR2b likes this.
  4. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

Ok, if you are certain about it, then go ahead. :) My idea was more that if it's a spiritual successor, and you know what you're doing, you don't really need the name, it can be its own great thing. But you might get there eventually anyway.

Because I like Penumbra and Amnesia (no time for Soma yet), I will be watching the thread for when you have more content to show. :)

5. Hikiko66

Hikiko66

A: I'm making a game, called Quake: The Reckoning
    B: Oh, what kind of game? RTS?
    A: Nah, it's an FPS.
    B: Like.. THE Quake?
    A: Yeah man. Actually it's designed to feel like the next chapter of that franchise that doesn't belong to me. Fans have been waiting for one of those.
    B: I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to do that with someone else's franchise, at least name it something else.
    A: It's just an English word, bro. It's not even on the same engine, I'm totally allowed. Anyway, it will be modernized.
    B: Oh, so it won't play and feel like Quake then?
    A: Well, of course it will, I have to cash in on the nostalgia, that's the entire point. It's for the fans, bro. Check out my logo.
    B: Is.... that the Quake font?..
    A: Just a font, bro.
    B: Amazing...
    A: Right?
    B: ..that you think you can get away with this..

JamesArndt, khos, Martin_H and 2 others like this.
  6. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

This is backwards - needs to be done at the beginning. Also I'm pretty sure you are mistaken. It will save a lot of time, effort and money to checked with a certified copyright and intellectual property lawyer first.
    Look up the litigation with Bethesda over the word scrolls. It might open your eyes a bit.

Yep - You could use Amnesie or Gedächtnisschwund instead and be just fine. If the game is truly great and could be considered a spiritual successor - what does it matter if the name is Amnesia or Amnesie? It doesn't.

Martin_H and PhilippG like this.
  7. PhilippG

PhilippG

Actually....

I think besides the fact that everybody knows in no possible way a game is going to be released like so, shameless hijacking might even help a game.

Games (let it be fangames or franchise inspired games or games just having the same title as the franchise) get covered by media as soon as the company behind the franchise reaches out to stop it.

Best example I guess is the Doom rougelike. We just know about it because its Doom!

And once the awareness is there, yeah just change the name.
    The press will cover the name change too. Doom, the Roguelike is now DRL
    It even has its own tag on https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/tag/doomrl/

But I think its even worse. You gain the attention of the franchises fanbases. And in case your product is actually good, the fanbase will still want to have it happen, no matter what it costs. So you naturally run a kickstarter. And voila, lots of money earned of the fact that you "borrowed" (STOLE!) someone elses IP.

Sometimes I hate how this works. The wrong projects earn attention for all the wrong reasons.

But yeah, if you are okay with that and still can look into the mirror without being ashamed - milk their IP as much as you can!

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  8. Hikiko66

Hikiko66

You're looking at these things in isolation.
    I'm sure you can use the word Amnesia in a game title.
    I'm sure you can use that font for a logo.
    I'm sure you can get away with making a game that kind of feels like a new updated chapter of Amnesia without referencing that franchise and its story.

What you can't do is all of those things at once without effectively hijacking someone else's intellectual property, while riding on its coat tails. The only time people are looking at these things in isolation is when they are actually isolated. But in the context of what you're suggesting, they're all stacked on top of each other.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  9. Mauri

Mauri

Still, you can run into legal trouble and you probably will. You're naming your game "Amnesia", but games with that name already exists. You're even using the exact same logo design.

Don't bother creating a new game based on an existing IP (Intellectual Property) without having the allowance of the IP holders first.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  10. dreamhead

dreamhead

but why dont you just use the modding tools of the Amnesia HPL Engine? there free to use and no legal trouble.

11. kaamos

kaamos

I'm afraid you are mistaken there. You do not have the right to use established trademarks for your own purpose. There is plenty of precedent behind this law if you do even a little research. You don't own the trademarks thus you are going to get a cease and desist letter, and there is no way a trademark holder will just let you have access to their property for free.

theANMATOR2b and Martin_H like this.
  12. Serinx

Serinx

I thought this was a game development forum, not a copyright forum. Leave him to it, he's in contact with the developers so I'm sure he'll come to a suitable decision.

I'm always on the lookout for an interesting horror game, can't wait to see some videos.
    How far through development are you? Just getting started?

DanMat97 likes this.
  13. DanMat97

DanMat97

Our state of development is now very successful. We will create a new thread in future. Stay tuned. Images and videos are coming soon!

14. DanMat97

DanMat97