Search Unity

[WIP] Derelict - First Person Shooter Game for iOS & Android

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by ChBgt909, May 3, 2016.

1. ChBgt909

ChBgt909

Edit December:
    Devlog 05 video and official alpha release!

Download here:

App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/derelict-first-person-shooter/id1184806202?ls=1&mt=8

Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jepr.derelictjepr

Before you even click the download links read here, please note that the game is $0.99, the reason for that is that i don't like ads, i know ads annoy people so i won't monetize the game that way, but i do want to monetize it because the game is taking real effort to me to make it, i'm alone in this project, i'm doing everything, design, programming, etc.

The game is really far from being completed, i still have to add more weapons, enemy types, items and new gametypes like Multiplayer and Campaign modes, not to mention that i will polish/revamp the elements that exist already, so i really hope you understand.

If you want to give feedback but don't want to download the game that's totally cool, just watch the video and give feedback based on it, that's more than enough help to me, so thank you all for reading and for those who get the game, i really hope you enjoy playing it as much as i'm enjoying creating it :) if you encounter any bug or there's something that annoys you in the game then please by all means let me know here or in my facebook page through a message: https://www.facebook.com/Derelict-FPS-game-for-iOS-Android-By-JEPR-English-263748153965204/
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Edit December:
    Devlog 04 video here!

Enjoy!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: NEW UPDATE!
    New video devlog!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys! Well this is it, i wanted to take my time and make more content in my game before posting here but i couldn't wait lol...

I'm working on this little FPS game called derelict! Which is a First Person Shooter for mobile!

Plot:

Details regarding what the game is about are still classified... i don't want to spoil it, but i think you will like the concept, it's different from what i've seen so far on mobile games... however, if enough people tell me to say something about the plot i'll do it, trust me... it'll be more than just a first person shooter

Here is a video of a portion of one of the many (hopefully 7) levels the game will have... Please note that this is a WIP so everything can be changed, optimized, improved or deleted:

And here are more pictures of the game from the editor itself:

Well, it may look like i only have an environments but i have months already working on it's programming as well, here's the list of the things i've done already:

- Player controls (variant of First Person Controller Script) with added features: Sprint, Shoot, Reload and Weapon Switch Buttons on top

- Player Health with working health bar

- Working weapon code, allows you to shoot at any specified speed (the bullet), can change the rate of fire, it calls idle, walking and running animations, you can set a max amount of ammo and also of clip and also a script that won't let the bullets go through any geometry with collision and it can damage both the enemies and you already

- It's not shown in the video but i already have the code (needs more features and polishing tho) for the Enemy AI, i already got the Patrolling, Chasing and Attack states set up and working.

- Enemy health with health bar shown on top of their head (the health bar has a billboard script so it's always facing you)

- Working main menu with Play and Exit button (i will add more features), and also a background with the raw, untextured and detail-lacking design of the space station where the game takes place

- Working pause menu with Resume, Restart Level, Main Menu and Exit Buttons, as well as a shadow distance scroll controller, volume controller and graphic settings that reach just to the optimal recommended setting for mobile (removing the "beautiful" and "fantastic" graphic settings)... i will add more settings as well

- Keep an steady 30 fps on newer devices like the iPhone 6 and almost 30 fps on the iPhone 4s... As soon as i get some money i'll get my hands on a couple android devices to run some testing there as well, but the game should be able to run just fine nonetheless (even more so because of the graphic settings being available)

Just like i have many things done, there are others that i still have to do, thankfully, i was able to learn enough programming in Unity so i can get most of the remaining stuff done as well, some of them tho (those marked with an * at the end) will be a little more difficult and might take me a little longer to figure out...

Here's the TO DO list:

- Improve already existing Enemy AI code to make the enemies smarter

- Work on the 3D models of the enemies and their animations

- Add at least 2 more languages to the game besides english (Adding such buttons on the main and pause menu) **I think i can do this with static boolean variables and DontDestroyOnLoad function to check which language i've currently selected... but any advice regarding this is greatly appreciated**

- Add the remaining animations, effects and sounds to the weapons, as well as being able to pick up, drop and exchange weapons

- Fall damage

- Death animations for the player (right now it only restarts the current level you're on)

- Change the interface design for everything, right now it's using a cheaply made one using the sprites included in the standard assets pack

- Add more accuracy to the player rotation control for better aiming

- Change the skybox, the one from the pics and videos is just a placeholder, these environments are inside a massive space station so i'll make that pretty clear with my sky (i already have the code to render custom cubemaps so i can get this done quickly

- Add more details to the existing buildings, add the proper textures and mapping, finish the rest of the level and add the remaining props it's going to have

- Finish the rest of the levels

- Make the scripting for whatever events unfold in the game

Well, i have lots of work but it can be done, there are more things i want to do but i'll explain as i go

If you like what you see and wish to know more please feel free to follow me in my other social media to support me:

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ChBgt909

Facebook English Page: https://www.facebook.com/Derelict-FPS-game-for-iOS-Android-By-JEPR-English-263748153965204/

Facebook Spanish Page: https://www.facebook.com/Derelict-Juego-FPS-para-iOS-y-Android-por-JEPR-Español-227211777646163/

Twitter: @JEPR_Derelict

Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/chbgt909

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/chbgt909

Reddit (still empty but i'll be active there soon!): https://www.reddit.com/user/chbgt909/

Well, sorry for the huge wall of text lol and i really hope you enjoy playing this game in the future as much as i'm enjoying creating it! I'll let you all know when i release alpha and beta builds!

And one last thing, this game is for you guys, if there's something you don't like or feel can improve please point it out, i'm open for all kinds of suggestions... there might be some suggestions i might not consider tho, but mostly because the game is for mobile so there are many limitations but i also have limitations since i'm not a pro, but i'll do all i can to make you all happy, thanks you all!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  2. ChBgt909

ChBgt909

Hey guys! I'll post more progress this week! I've been busy with my thesis lately so that may slow me down a little but i'll keep you posted on any changes i make, one thing i've been exploring is adding a multiplayer mode as well, and make some maps for it so people can open their servers and pick a game mode, it would be a fun thing to add so stay tuned guys!

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  3. ChBgt909

ChBgt909

Well, i'm unsure on what you guys think so far on what i have done since i haven't gotten any feedback lol, but i'm working on more content as we speak and well, i finally managed to get the money to pay for the Apple and Android developer accounts! So an alpha release might come soon! Stay tuned!

4. ChBgt909

ChBgt909

It's done! I already paid and activated my apple developer account! An alpha release will be available soon! My developer account for Android will be ready this week or the next as well! I already made some changes on my game so expect a video later today!

Please make sure to subscribe on my Youtube channel and follow me on my other media as well! I'll be uploading more content there and the links for the releases i do will be on facebook, stay tuned!

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_lfQP1FDLPVlWudj5KES8g

Facebook English Page: https://www.facebook.com/Derelict-FPS-game-for-iOS-Android-By-JEPR-English-263748153965204/

Full facebook name so those in mobile can copy-paste on the FB search bar:
    Derelict - FPS game for iOS & Android By JEPR - English

Facebook Spanish Page: https://www.facebook.com/Derelict-Juego-FPS-para-iOS-y-Android-por-JEPR-Español-227211777646163/

Full facebook name so those in mobile can copy-paste on the FB search bar:
    Derelict - Juego FPS para iOS y Android por JEPR - Español

Twitter: @JEPR_Derelict

Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/chbgt909

Reddit (still empty but i'll be active there soon!): https://www.reddit.com/user/chbgt909/

5. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

This looks pretty cool, the environment looks quite nice for mobile. Just curious how many draw calls are you getting?

Also maybe use a small text, its kinda hard to read if you keep having to scroll down constantly (I read super fast).

Looking good! :)

6. ChBgt909

ChBgt909

Hi!, haha sorry about the text lol

well, i'm trying to optimize the game as much as possible by using low-poly geometry and mobile shaders and also making the objects batching static and either occluder, occludee static or both, that's why i have the wireframe button on the screen, to check how many objects are rendered on-screen. I will optimize the game even more by making the textures used smaller and cutting the level geometry in smaller chunks so i can occlude them as well.

Thanks for your feedback man :)

Last edited: May 7, 2016
    RavenOfCode likes this.
  7. ChBgt909

ChBgt909

UPDATE:

Well, here's the second video, the update is small, just added textures to the first building, but it still needs a couple more details and props, i also changed the layout of my controller so now you can use the whole screen to rotate, making it easier to aim your enemies, but also to do the other actions quicker, the images used for the buttons, pause and main menu are placeholder btw, i'll create my own textures to make those elements more appealing, hope you like it!

Keep in mind many of the elements are still WIP so everything will be polished, college has been taking a lot of time from me because of my thesis but i'll be done with it soon!

Video:

Whiteleaf and RavenOfCode like this.
  8. ChBgt909

ChBgt909

Well, here are some more pictures, sorry for the slow updates, i've been working on my thesis this week so yeah... Most work has been on texture and adding more props.

I'll continue with the rest of the 3D model of the level until i'm done mapping what i already have.

I'll have more free time in about two weeks, so expect daily updates then, i usually work fast but college and work have been taking a lot of my time :(

I'll upload a video in one day so stay tuned for that as well! Here are the pics!

RavenOfCode likes this.
  9. ChBgt909

ChBgt909

More updates! I'm really sorry for the lack of updates the past week, college has been taking a lot of my time... i'll be finished by mid June so i'll have plenty of time to work on my game and make daily updates! I'll upload a video later so stay tuned for that! Moar pics in the meantime :)

If you like what you see and want to know more, please follow me on my other social media, i'll be really thankful.

Youtube Channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/ChBgt909

Spanish FB page:
    https://www.facebook.com/Derelict-Juego-FPS-para-iOS-y-Android-por-JEPR-Español-227211777646163/

English FB page:
    https://www.facebook.com/Derelict-FPS-game-for-iOS-Android-By-JEPR-English-263748153965204/

Twitter:
    @JEPR_Derelict

Tumblr:
    https://www.tumblr.com/blog/chbgt909

Twitch:
    https://www.twitch.tv/chbgt909

RavenOfCode likes this.
  10. zenGarden

zenGarden

The graphcis lacks shadowing, contrast and color, they look very bland.
    Perhaps going N64 style would feet better ?

11. ChBgt909

ChBgt909

You mean the metal textures? Well yeah they are all gray lol, it might need more colors, well good thing is that unity let's you swap materials quite easily so i'm gonna try to make some metal textures with more color and depth, i want to hear other ppl's opinion tho... i haven't been lucky getting any feedback :(

Now, regarding the shadowing, i'm using unity free bro so only the sun (directional light) can make objects project dynamic shadows :/ but i think is for the better, i don't want to kill performance, it's a mobile game after all

I'll try to improve the texturing alright? thanks for your feedback man :)

In the meantime, i'll edit and upload a new video later today, i'm a noob working with video editing software so it might take me a couple hours lol, this time i want to add more, i want to describe a little bit of what the game is about

12. zenGarden

zenGarden

You are using some old Unity version then ? Unity 5 Free and Pro have the same features.

This is not the texturing , but the overall colors that looks bland and the contrast that is lacking, Ton mapping would help aslo.
    you can see the colors are more vivid and there is more contrast on this mobile fps game.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  13. ChBgt909

ChBgt909

I have the newest Unity version but apparently Unity free only allows you to use dynamic lights/shadows from one directional light, other light sources won't project shadows from objects

I do want to add more details but my fear is that it would kill the performance for weaker phones, i added a panel in the pause menu to change the graphics quality but still... what i currently have runs well in my iPhone 6 and also keeps an steady 30fps in an iPhone 4s (even with good quality settings) since i have the occlusion working

i'll take your suggestion and make some improvements to the scene tho, good thing is that, what i currently have is less than a quarter of just one level, so I'll keep your advice in mind for the rest of the levels design... My work on this has been slow because of college and because i've been focusing on the programming (since i'm doing pretty much all the coding for most of the features), i usually work faster.

What game is that btw? :)

14. zenGarden

zenGarden

Do as you want, perhaps my advice is not so great, i like games with colors and contrast.

Modern Combat 5 on mobile.

15. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

I agree with @zenGarden you definitly need more contrast in your level. It looks quite bland. Also adding some small misc objects (like crates/plants/furniture/broken things like vehicles) will add alot more material to your game and will allow for more contrast/shadows and will make the game feel less bland.

Another game to look at for this is Nova III (made by GameLoft, the people who made Modern Combat). This game adds tons of contrast in a sci-fi setting (sorta like your game).

Here is some examples of good contrast. Lots of brighter colors making the environment feel alive and like the real world.

theANMATOR2b, ChBgt909 and zenGarden like this.
  16. ChBgt909

ChBgt909

Wow that looks awesome, yeah you are both right, well it's not too late to work with this in mind. I'm gonna use what i currently have for the video teaser but that's it, i'm gonna redesign the first level and work on the rest based on what you guys told me (I'll have more free time this week so i'll be able to work faster on the 3D modelling). i'm really thankful for your feedback guys, i finally get to have opinion of other people.

Just three things i'd like to ask, should i make the objects batching static? Is it ok to use big textures or should i scale them down? Is it ok to use legacy shaders? some of my metal textures use them and i don't seem to have any issue but i don't want to see drops in performance as i advance on the level design

RavenOfCode likes this.
  17. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

I'm no mobile expert but as far as I know: yes static is good it speeds things up, small textures are better but if needed on objects like the player it is probably ok, probably better to not use any high end shader but if you need to it is probably ok for things like guns/players. I would recommend the mobile shaders for anything terrain.

Also if you don't have LOD's adding them could be useful.

Thats my best advice, best of luck with this, it looks pretty great so far! :)

theANMATOR2b and ChBgt909 like this.
  18. ChBgt909

ChBgt909

New video of my game! Keep in mind i still need to polish things and i'm not even close to being finished... hope you like it!

If you like what you see and want to support me please check out my Patreon page! I'd really appreciate it! :)

Last edited: May 26, 2016
    JamesArndt and RavenOfCode like this.
  19. zenGarden

zenGarden

It looks good, it reminds me Halo 1 a lot.
    What mobile shader do you use ? The specular highlights on some surfaces look good.

ChBgt909 likes this.
  20. ChBgt909

ChBgt909

Hey man, thanks a lot! Well for most of the objects i'm using the mobile diffuse, bumped diffuse or bumped specular.. however, for many of the metal materials i'm still using legacy bumped specular... i want to replace it since, as far as i know, this isn't the kind of shader i should use for mobile (even tho i haven't seen any lag from those shaders in both iphone 6 and 4s when testing)

The problem is that the mobile bumped specular shader messes with the way metal surfaces receive light, it doesn't change how the sun affects them, but smaller light sources get completely ignored when using this shader for the materials...

If you have any suggestion please let me know, i don't want to kill performance but i really don't want to bake lightmaps either, it's a really slow process... even for an scene this small, let alone when the the levels are completed

With legacy bumped specular:

With mobile bumped specular:

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  21. ChBgt909

ChBgt909

I'm sorry for the lack of updates the last few weeks, I've been busy with my last semester in college and my thesis project, now I'm done with both! I'll just finish the thesis document but that's gonna be easy now, so i can finally resume the work on my game!

Now, since i already know how some the environments for the game will look like and got most of the features of the game programmed, I've been working mostly on character design, rigging and animations, i made some concept art and i already made one 3D model that is already rigged, animated and has my AI code.

I've been testing it's behavior with the code and so far so good, i just need to made some polishing on the code, 3D model, animations and textures and it's good to go... I'm sorry for not showing pictures yet but i want to have at least 2 or 3 more enemies done first since i want to give more information about the plot of the game and the origin of the characters (although i did that to some degree with the latest video on YouTube)

i estimate that i'll have more enemy characters made in a week or so, after that I'm gonna show pictures and some description about them AND make a new video! So stay tuned for that and again... for those who have been following the progress of my game, I'm sorry for the absence... I'm on vacation now (kinda since i still have to work lol) so I'll have plenty of time to work on my game!

If you wish to support me please do so on Patreon! The link for that is on the very first post! That would help me a lot! Thanks for taking your time to read and have a great day/evening! :)

22. ChBgt909

ChBgt909

Well guys, i'm back to my threat, first and foremost for those who were checking my threat regularly, i'm sorry for the lack of updates here, but the reason was that, unlike in my other social media, i'm not getting the feedback (good or bad, i really want honest thoughts) i was expecting, and well... i also went through some hardships from late june to this month but, since i'm doing better now i decided to post a little more of what i've been working on so far.

On a little side note, i'm working on a mini game which will be finished and uploaded next week (i'll make a new thread for that next week)

Now then, i'll post pics of what i've done so far with this game which has been mostly some level design and polishing of my existing AI code...

The only things i really lack by now to complete my game are mostly the levels (which will be done quick), enemy 3d models, performance optimization, loading screen, interface and HUD redesign, powerups, and a couple animations and sounds FX for the weapons, i got the rest already...

So now, without further ado, here are the pics... it's not much but i'll work faster now that i got more time for it... Please give me honest thoughts...

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    RavenOfCode likes this.
  23. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

That looks so much better. I love the blue accents in the building. The color is much better and the trees/grass look really good. Also the rock looks much better. Overall great job! :)

The only thing that looks really odd, is the orange/pink thing in the gun, it looks very out of place. Maybe add some green there as the rest of the gun has lots of green?

Looking forward to more! :)

ChBgt909 likes this.
  24. ChBgt909

ChBgt909

Hi! Thanks again for your feedback man! :) i'm glad you like what i've done so far. And well, regarding that weapon, that thing's supposed to be the core of the gun, actually, the projectile shot by it is also orange, i can change it tho, i'm not happy with that color either, and i might also add a lens flare to it so it looks better, like it's actually glowing.

So yeah if you have any other suggestion please let me know man, i will make an alpha release pretty soon for both platforms so i start getting some more feedback and i can change/add/improve/remove whatever people tell me to so yeah :) if you are active on other social media you can also check those (links in OP) i usually post more stuff on twitter and facebook :p

On a side note...

Right now i'm pausing this project, something personal happened between June and September and that really slowed me down, and right now i'm working on a minigame (also for mobile) that i came up with almost two weeks ago, if everything goes as planned i will upload it to the app store before wednesday, i'll make a threat about that game on the day i release it, i'll also upload it to android but i still have to pay for the developer account so yeah... once i'm done with that i'll resume my work on this game.

RavenOfCode likes this.
  25. zenGarden

zenGarden

The lightening is better, there is more contrast, colors are more vivid and textures look good for a mobile game.
    Lens Flare adds a good visual effect touch.

About your level design , it looks like a direct line, why nor making the canyon having rounded curves to break the linear aspect ? With corners you can introduce portals and break your level in sub parts you could manage their visibility to improve performance. Your whole level looks as one model, so you won't be able to use lod for the building for example.

The building textures could have some dirt and moss to reflect the environment nature.
    It is wip, but i don't like the weapon design and textures, you can find inspiration on devian art http://orig10.deviantart.net/0ba4/f/2011/263/8/3/cotv__special_weapons_by_prospass-d4adx0u.jpg
    Your game start too look as good as some good mobile productions, keep up the good work.

ChBgt909 likes this.
  26. ChBgt909

ChBgt909

Hi! Thanks again too for your feedback man! I really appreciate it :) Yeah you are right, i was starting to consider changing the layout of my levels, as you can tell by looking at the pics, they are not modular, i make one whole model (like a bsp) and then break it in chunks and use occlusion to improve performance but the layout, as you said, is not making a great job hiding what is not being directly seen (i checked with wireframe mode ingame)... if you have any suggestion to improve performance in the game please let me know, i want people to have smooth game play, it performs very well but i want to make it better

So in the end i might scrap these "bsp's" and make new ones, they honestly didn't take me that long to do (less than 2 days worth of time invested, i took longer because i was busy and didn't work everyday or for too long a day), so yeah, i'll take the time to build something less linear and a little bit more complex (without killing performance that is), i'll take the time to check other games to get some inspiration and then start working on it.

Now regarding the weapons, there are 3 of them, i honestly only like one, which isn't the one from the picture, i liked the designs from the pic you linked to me so i'll do something similar, i'll also look for more designs for heavy weapons (the weapon from my picture is a heavy weapon), so yeah there's still a lot to do...

on a side note...

For those who have been checking my threat regularly, I'm sorry i'm not showing more progress in a more regular basis, most of my work has been mostly programming and also, i'm having a tough time because i'm also working on my thesis, something came up the previous months... and not to mention that i'm doing this project all by myself, i can work faster yeah but i need to settle some personal things before i can do that, i might start working faster and show more content at least twice a week in a week or so... so yeah, just hang in there a little longer, i won't disappoint you guys :)

RavenOfCode likes this.
  27. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

I'm not a fps fan - but I've been following in the background as I'm sure others are also doing.
    I'm only posting for motivational purposes, as it seems you desire feedback from others.

I've enjoyed following your progress. Keep it up. ;)

ChBgt909 likes this.
  28. ChBgt909

ChBgt909

Thank you man! I really appreciate it :)
    i'll soon post about a mini game i'm about to finish and upload to the app store! So stay tuned for that :)

29. ChBgt909

ChBgt909

Hello guys i'm back! I'm sorry for the delay, i've been busy, anyways, i've been working on new ideas for the game, i decided to add a new game mode called "Survival Mode", it will behave similar to survival in COD or firefight on Halo..

Yeah, i'm still a little far from being done with the game, but the things that remain to at least have the Survival Mode working with a couple maps, are a few regarding programming, i'll post a video soon and have THE FIRST VERSION IN THE APP STORE AND GOOGLE PLAY! So stay tuned for that!

Now, i'll proceed to show pics so you don't get bored! I'll begin showing one screenshot with the new design for the main menu:

Now i'm gonna show a couple screenshots of one enemy i made with working code and behavior and also a picture of the pause menu, the design of both pause menu and HUD still look awful but it's the functionality what i want you to see:

Now, i'm already starting my work on the sruvival mode, i still have to program a couple things but in the meantime i'll show photos of the development of one of the maps it's going to have:

And finally some screenshots of that map fully working on my phone, and as you can see on the top, the framerate is great!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  30. zenGarden

zenGarden

I see some design improvments :
    -the yellow pedestal spot asset looks to huge in front of the player
    -The texture with bolts looks strange with bad UV
    - cargo containers could be replaced with Sci Fi containers
    Will you provide some aiming help option, that automatically lock to a target when the cursor is near it ?

Anyway , the overall colors and brightness looks very uniform lightening , that's looks beautifull; the weapon looks lot better.
    You improved a lot :)

ChBgt909 likes this.
  31. ChBgt909

ChBgt909

Thanks man! I'm glad you are linking what you see so far!

- Now, about the yellow spotlight asset, yeah i'll scale it down.
    - I don't have sci-fi looking containers so i'll have to create them myself, i'll keep the current models as placeholders
    - For the controllers i'm using a classic aiming system moving the finger around the screen like some other games, but just like with those other games, it's kinda tricky to aim sometimes so yeah, i do want to improve the aiming system or add aim assist, i'll just figure out which one to work on and how to pull it off asap

Having said that, thank you again man. I'll have the first version of the game up and running soon... in a week or so! I'll release two versions tho:

- A free lite version with just one one survival mode map and (in a near future) the first campaign level.
    - The other version will be the full one, it will have all the maps i make for Survival Mode and all the Campaign levels as well as whatever new feature or item i add, i'll add them in updates as soon as i keep making more content, it's price will be $0.99USD (I consider it fair taking into account the effort i am and will be putting into it but... what do you think?)

HOWEVER, i'll send YOU (and also RavenOfCode and theANMATOR2b) a promo code so you can download the Full version for FREE! And that's because i'm really thankful to you for checking my thread and taking the time to give feedback. So thank you and as soon as i have the first version of the game in the App Store and Google Play i'll PM you here so you tell me which platform you use and i send you the code

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
    zenGarden likes this.
  32. ChBgt909

ChBgt909

New video devlog of my game! Here i show off the new game mode called survival mode! And i also show more content of my game!

Here it is and i hope you like it!

33. zenGarden

zenGarden

I don't see any video

34. ChBgt909

ChBgt909

Weird, i can see it... anyways here's the direct link to youtube:

If you still can't see it the video is called "Derelict - First Person Shooter for mobile - Devlog 03" and my channel has the same name as here: ChBgt909

35. zenGarden

zenGarden

The ennemy shoud have some animation instead of disappearing quickly when you shoot it down.
    Anyway the game level looks great.

ChBgt909 likes this.
  36. ChBgt909

ChBgt909

Thanks man and yeah I'm still working on mostly everything, not only do i need to finish the animations for this enemy among other things but i also need to make the other enemy types, i already have the code for the other enemy types.

I also need to replace the heavy weapon and sniper rifle 3D models with better ones, make the animations for shooting and reload, oh and add the left arm of the player into the first person view lol...

Yeah I'm still a little far from being finished, however, I want to upload the game in the next 3-4 days, changes, improvements, bug fixes and new content will be added through updates...

37. ChBgt909

ChBgt909

Here's a new video! Devlog 04! There's still polishing left to do in everything but what do you think?

38. zenGarden

zenGarden

Two things botherme, the weapon animations needs better transition between walk and run and some physic recoil animation when firing, also ennemies green bars could be more tiny, and only appear when you touch an ennemy.

Anyway your game looks great, looks like playing Halo :)

ChBgt909 likes this.
  39. ChBgt909

ChBgt909

Hey man! Well, it's not like i don't want to improve the animations, it's just that i'm struggling with the animations in unity lol, i'm not using the animator, i'm recording the animations, making them "legacy" animations and using a script to call them depending on the player's action, it's not the best method nor the smoothest but it's the most practical for me right now... I'll improve it, and i will certainly make sexy animations and smoother transitions soon, just not yet.

Now for the health bars, yeah i'll make them smaller and thinner :)

So yeah thank you again for the feedback man! Btw, is there a way you can contact me on my facebook page?

https://www.facebook.com/Derelict-FPS-game-for-iOS-Android-By-JEPR-English-263748153965204/

I want to give you a promo code so you download the game for free and give me feedback if that's ok to you. If so then i just want to know which platform you use (iOS or Android) so i give you a code after i release the game, and well if you use android then even better! I haven't been able to test the game with an android device and i want to check how the game performs there, especially the ground shader that uses splat map, let me know what you think ok? I'll be more than willing to provide you with a code since you always take the time to give feedback!

40. SniperEvan

SniperEvan

Looks great! Nice job

ChBgt909 likes this.
  41. zenGarden

zenGarden

ahah sorry , i know animations is not an easy job :)
    I seen no transition between run anf hold weapon and find it strange, it's only a little stuff to improve, otherwise the game overall is great (for game i use Android if you want to give me a key for playtest).

ChBgt909 likes this.
  42. Samuel411

Samuel411

More feedback when you hit an enemy or take damage, right now the only thing that shows that an enemy was injured is a green bar on top of them. Things you might be able to try are sound effects of impact, particles of blood shooting out of the enemies, and maybe a score that pops up in the center of the screen and keeps adding up based on how many hits you do or whatever. Also the death should be a little more cinematic imo, perhaps an animation for the enemy falling to the ground then exploding? Or at least make the explosion bigger to cover up the immediate disappearance of the enemy.

Like @zenGarden said the transitions should be added.
    I'm not sure if you are in the polishing stage or still adding mechanics? From the looks of it you are really close to getting to the polishing stage.
    You may want to consider using the animator, don't be a hero, it'll make life sooo much easier imo. You can change animation attributes like transition times, etc from the window and not from code.

In my opinion I'd stay away from the health bars for a game like this but it's totally up to you. The health might be able to be implemented and displayed using increasing blood on the enemy. Up to you though, the health bars would need a lot of tweaking and work to feel right like you see in the Shadowgun video @zenGarden posted.

Something that sounds pretty coolio to add is like blood drops on the enemies, it'll make em look bad ass lol.

Definitely potential but polish is going to be a pain in the dick. I wish you luck.

[Edit] I forgot to mention, the music is awful or whatever it is. That beeping looks like its just there for no reason? It stresses me out just hearing it. And that white noise in the rest of the video :x
    Look at the asset store, great sound tracks.

43. ChBgt909

ChBgt909

Thank you so much man! I appreciate it! :)

44. ChBgt909

ChBgt909

Thank you man and yeah, i will fix that up soon! Btw i sent you a message (conversation) with you here and sent you the promo code for android along with the download link, i tell you in details there what i need feedback on.. thanks in advance man! :)

45. ChBgt909

ChBgt909

I added some sound effects recently and i will add more animations and effects really soon! Although i uploaded the game already, the game is still in alpha stage, which means that i just finished the stage of adding mechanics (for survival mode at least) and i'm scratching the surface of the polishing stage. I will make the changes you suggested and yeah i won't use that music again lol, i had regrets on it too but i was too lazy to delete the video from youtube and reupload it.

i already made a new video that i'm going to publish when the game is already available for both iOS and Android (just on Android right now, at least 2 days to get it on App Store) and i make the official announcement after i get some people to test the game to know everything is working fine.

Thanks again for the feedback i really appreciate it! I'll keep posting more content really soon!

46. ChBgt909

ChBgt909

Well guys, here's the fifth video devlog i made for the game along with the announcement of the official release of the alpha version of the game!

Now here are the download links to the game!

App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/derelict-first-person-shooter/id1184806202?ls=1&mt=8

Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jepr.derelictjepr

Before you even click the download links read here, please note that the game is $0.99, the reason for that is that i don't like ads, i know ads annoy people so i won't monetize the game that way, but i do want to monetize it because the game is taking real effort to me to make it, i'm alone in this project, i'm doing everything, design, programming, etc.

The game is really far from being completed, i still have to add more weapons, enemy types, items and new gametypes like Multiplayer and Campaign modes, not to mention that i will polish/revamp the elements that exist already, so i really hope you understand.

If you want to give feedback but don't want to download the game that's totally cool, just watch the video and give feedback based on it, that's more than enough help to me, so thank you all for reading and for those who get the game, i really hope you enjoy playing it as much as i'm enjoying creating it :) if you encounter any bug or there's something that annoys you in the game then please by all means let me know here or in my facebook page through a message: https://www.facebook.com/Derelict-FPS-game-for-iOS-Android-By-JEPR-English-263748153965204/

47. zenGarden

zenGarden

We see hidden ennemies very easy because their HP bar is visible from far away, it breaks all encounter surprise, you could display it only when ennemies get a first hit.
    The effects when ennemies get hit and disappear would need some work on textures effects instead of plain colors.

theANMATOR2b and ChBgt909 like this.
  48. ChBgt909

ChBgt909

Oh i made the bars visible intentionally, sometimes when they are not close to the enemy they just wander around so from my testing i noticed it was a pain to spot the last enemy sometimes lol, i can change that, make the bar visible just when there are only a couple enemies left

49. ChBgt909

ChBgt909

Hi! After a long time without posting updates here i decided to show what I've done so far! I finally finished all the details regarding the Survival game mode, I will just tweak the enemies that spawn as i add new enemy types as well as adding new maps! I still have on my list add a few more things like a control panel on the pause menu to change the amount of sensitivity when you aim/turn as well as improvements to performance and UI design.

So far I've made two new maps for survival mode and added aim assist to help out players while i add the extra options in the pause menu! I will make a couple new maps for survival mode and then proceed to work on multiplayer mode! I already have some work on that but I haven't done enough testing, i will have that ready soon!

Without further ado, here are the screenshots of the new maps as well as the download links for iOS and Android for the game! Hope you like what you see!

RavenOfCode likes this.
  50. zenGarden

zenGarden

Good work.
    Now you can start making a Halo campaign :D

ChBgt909 likes this.