Search Unity

Games [Released] Brink of Extinction TD

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by _M_S_D_, Jun 3, 2016.

1. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

Currently only making small progress with the game. Since Greenlight is being phased out I've decided to wait with moving on with the game on Steam. So at the moment I more or less only test the game and make minor adjustments and fixes.
    About GoG, it was a negative response, even though it did seem they liked it, but considered it a bit too small scale and niché for their user-base.

Ran a long round in the endless mode and everything seemed to work well:

Few things that will be added: Bug zapper sound, when used on only one enemy it needs to still flash, will add a splash and an electrical "crawl" on every hit.

I've also added a HP bar for enemies and turrets, and enemy UI will soon display enemy name and icon. After this has been implemented I will update the game on gamejolt and also upload it to Itch.io.

After that I'll be finishing music and achievements. Hopefully around then there will be more news on Steam Direct.

RavenOfCode likes this.
  2. QFSW

QFSW

Unfortunate that it didn't get onto GoG :( but ah well

Ooh achievements! I'm looking forward to it :D

3. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

Yeah, well what can you do! :D Here's hoping Steam Direct will be reasonably priced. :p

Fixed up the bug zapper stuff:

RavenOfCode likes this.
  4. QFSW

QFSW

Oooh very nice, looks very deadly now :)

5. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

RavenOfCode and QFSW like this.
  6. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

Builds updated on GameJolt and game now available on Itch.io: https://cicgames.itch.io/boe

This build only adds a few minor things, mentioned earlier in the thread:
    Sound for bug zapper added.
    Particle effect for bug zapper, tesla, rail and blitz polished.
    Enemy menu implemented (only icons are missing atm).
    HP bar for turret and enemy menu.
    Music polished up.
    Some minor optimization.

7. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

Been a few busy days, but back on working on the music again. Only a few more tracks to go :)
    This is the current WIP:
    [Old URL removed]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  8. QFSW

QFSW

I like it! Really digging the bit near the end, good work :)

9. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

Thanks :D Now the hassle of cleaning the project up and getting a good mix :D

QFSW likes this.
  10. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

And here is the song in action for those who don't wish to log into Dropbox. Gameplay from the second continuous play level.

RavenOfCode likes this.
  11. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

Today I've managed to implement achievements into the game (code only!). In total 64 achievements. :D
    What remains to be done is a display for all achievement in-game as well as the icons that relate to each of them.
    I've also made a new loop for the turret show room, which can be heard here:

Other than that, polished up on the game and fixed a flickering bug in the new range display for the turrets.

RavenOfCode likes this.
  12. QFSW

QFSW

That's a lot of achievements! That what you've done so far or all the ones you're planning on adding?
    Great music :)

13. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

Planned, but if I can come up with some more, they're easy enough to add. So it's not final really. :)

14. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

Hello!
    Have had the full game out for some testing and uncovered a handful of bugs that have been fixed, among them:
    Following a code overhaul, the missile launcher was broken.
    No sound for superior scorpion attack.
    There was a glitched out plant on level 8, causing a null.

@QFSW correctly informed me the superior scorpion had an underwhelming attack. So the projectile has had a complete overhaul:

Aside from that I've managed to put in some more work on the music and some minor optimizations and code fixes. So, currently slow progress, but at least some progress is being made. :)

RavenOfCode likes this.
  15. QFSW

QFSW

Woo! You got that done fast! Nice to see they're as deadly looking as they deserve now :)

_M_S_D_ likes this.
  16. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

Brace yourselves, achievement viewer is coming.
    screen_20170531.jpg

RavenOfCode likes this.
  17. ToshoDaimos

ToshoDaimos

I played it on Windows 8.1 laptop. Works fine, no bugs found. I beat all levels. Gameplay is very simple and casual. Good job! :)

You don't support currently aspect ratios other than 16:9. Some people have 16:10 and rarely 4:3.

18. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

@Quingu Thanks :D Glad to hear that.

I currently only have 16:9, because on some levels things ended up outside the range of the camera, but I think I have corrected this now so 16:10 will most likely be implemented again in the next update. Thanks for the reminder :)

19. QFSW

QFSW

Looking sweet! It's almost like a graveyard for the pieces of tech (achievement displays) that survived, looking forward to it :)

20. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

Ok, one down, 64 to go :D
    screen_20170601.jpg

QFSW and RavenOfCode like this.
  21. QFSW

QFSW

Looks sweet!

22. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

Ok, progress has been slow lately due to graduation, job interviews and a well deserved vacation. But now I'm back to work on games again. Fixed up the options menu with some new stuff (SSAA and resolution scaling among other things). Removed obscurance altogether, because other post proc effects produce similar results. So that has improved performance quite a bit (and used up by newly implemented soft shadows and SSAA now :p ). Done some minor script optimizations. Also added left button in the showroom.
    Main work recently and moving on is finishing up all the achievement icons and the display area. Here's a composite of what I have atm:

screen_20170701.jpg

I also plan on finishing up the remainder of the music so it can be sent of for mastering around the end of next week or so.
    Will be organizing stuff for Steam Direct also, so not that much work left until hopefully the game sees release. :)

Gametyme, RavenOfCode and QFSW like this.
  23. QFSW

QFSW

Looking solid! Can't wait to see it released :)

24. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

Gotten another five achievement icons finished in the past few days. Here's the one for electrocutioner (x kills with tesla):
    screen_20170705.jpg

I've shifted over to music production and tweaking in the past few days also. I'm happy with how in game songs 1-4, the main theme and the show room loops sound now, another song (primarily for the last level of the campaign) is also more or less finished. That leaves another 3 to be composed, out of which 1 is quite far along already. Overall, some decent progress. :)

25. QFSW

QFSW

Awesome work! Can't wait to see more achievements :)

26. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

I've created another batch of icons, among them "Super Sonic":
    screen_20170707.jpg

I've finished work on another song. A slow paced and slightly mystical sounding track that complements the more up-beat tracks that dominate the game's soundtrack. Another two tracks to go and the music will be all done. :)

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  27. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

No big update today, but everything is coming together nicely :D Had the time to actually play the game a bit today, so managed to do some polishing up some levels and post proc. effects. Noticed a minor bug that has been fixed. Managed to put together another achievement icon, so "only" 14 remain to be made now. Also managed to add windowed mode, upon popular request.

Here's how crazy the last campaign level gets towards the "end":
    screen_20170712.jpg

28. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

After killing 2000 green spiders you will be awarded this achievement:
    screen_20170719.jpg

I've started crossing off things from the last todo list for the game, so hopefully it should be finished quite soon. :D

29. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

Again, more icons made - only 6 left to do, so I will hopefully have all of this work done by the end of the weekend.
    Also finished up the looping track for the achievement display and started planning out how it will function, so I should get around to starting work on it this weekend also.
    Loop track can be heard here (for some time):
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/4a4z4ov7ex85xxc/Accomplished - Loop 3.wav?dl=0

I also ended up rebalancing level 8 and 9 so that you start with less credits, but more waves of easy enemies at first. This made the levels more difficult and require a bit more thinking to finish.
    Small steps, but not much remaining now :D :D :D

30. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

Fixed up the last of the endless mode levels so that it's optimized and spawn points are working as intended.
    Also got around to finally ironing out the last few issues on the last level of the campaign, just needs to be tested some more.
    Icons left: 4 - Should be finishing them up as planned tomorrow. :)

screen_20170722.jpg

31. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

Ok, finally! All achievement icons are finished! 66 in total. Now on to making 7 enemy icons for the menus in game, shouldn't take too long though, since they are lower res and generally very simply.
    Also tested the final campaign level so that everything is in working order. Level 13 has been rebalanced a bit so that you start with less credits and have to work your way up to the upgrades more. The main game manager script has had a bit of an overhaul because it was very messy.

screen_20170723.jpg

Overall I'm very happy with how all the icons have come out, now I just need to make a small presentation area for them and have a camera that can pan around to display the ones that have been achieved. After that one final test of the achievement system. Other than that, this marks another big aspect of the game finished. :)

32. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

Ok, another week down! I've fixed up the seven enemy icons. Also changed the saving system to work with encryption (thanks @QFSW for the code and implementation help). Continued tweaking some of the levels and done more testing.
    I have also been working on the music, so another track is more or less finished. For a limited time it can be heard here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qlrg627rjlk61s0/Preparation - In game 5.wav?dl=0
    The upcoming week I will be focusing my attention on the last song and building the achievement display area, as well as finishing up more minor stuff like logo, banner and similar graphics. Also, I should be getting around to setting up a proper online presence for the game. :)

33. QFSW

QFSW

Really liking the new music you're making, and glad the save code worked out well :)

34. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

I've been working on the achievement display area a bit, getting the area itself built and also working out some code to move the camera between different panels and which achievement to display (currently you can only see one though). :)

QFSW likes this.
  35. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

Been spending a few days improving on some ugly code that had gone unfixed for quite a while. That means that there shouldn't be any code left that isn't up to my newer higher standards and no more dodgy inefficient scripts! :)

I've been focusing more on the "business side" of things, setting up accounts and pages. Read updates, info and add me here:
    http://www.circleincirclegames.com
    https://www.facebook.com/CiCGames/
    https://twitter.com/CiCGames

Also did the final polishing on the game icon and incorporated it into the loading screen as seen here:

Lastly, the beginning part of the last song left to finish for the game [very unpolished atm]
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/c9zf8p8o5nw9oxa/On the Horizon - In game 6.wav?dl=0

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  36. QFSW

QFSW

Looking very professional! Nice work

_M_S_D_ likes this.
  37. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

Although it's taking longer than expected to build the achievement display area, it is coming along nicely, some 30% or so of all panels have been placed. After adding more polish to the gasstation area, I will move onto making a more city like area, which will contain most of the remaining panels. :)
    screen_20170809.jpg

38. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

Gotten about half of the panels in, now moving into the city scape, hopefully I should have all of this done by the end of the weekend along with the code to display all the achievements correctly etc.
    screen_20170810.jpg

39. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

Been discussing the achievements quite a bit I feel, but here's another brief update on the same subject regardless. Sixty percent of the panels are now placed and I've polished up the second area of the map so that it is up to par:

screen_20170812c.jpg

I also made a transition area to the city scape, and from now on the rest of the map will be city-side scenery.
    I decided to create a container wall to make a smooth "cheat" transition to the city scape, which I find works quite well given the post apocalyptic theme.

screen_20170812b.jpg

After a police road block with a bunch of killed mites you get to the first city scape panel:

screen_20170812a.jpg

I might be able to finish this off tomorrow, and only leave some polish left for later on, but my main focus for tomorrow will be to load the panel images, then see how much level building I have time for. Will start fixing up business stuff so that the game can get released quite soon also. I'm pushing for an early November release on Steam and Gamejolt. After that I don't know whether I will try to make a very light version for mobile platforms (I have done some tests), remains to be seen and depends on how things go on the targeted platforms. :)

40. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

Achievement place is coming along nicely. All panels are now placed into the scene. The last area, the city scape, needs to have details added into it and polished up though. The last song for the BoE soundtrack has been finished structurally, will need to give all songs one last polish and then some mastering adjustments, but other than that the soundtrack is also done. :) Not much left to do now, I'm hoping the game will be more or less finished tomorrow - after that I will focus on establishing my company, making the promo stuff and finally releasing the full game! :)

screen_20170819.jpg

41. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

Achievement area is now finished overall, will spend tomorrow adding in some more details and polish here and there + add some code to lower fog and DoF when the player reaches the last panel. Not much left now :D
    Gotten all the paperwork done for the company, only need to visit the bank and send it in, then fingers crossed everything is in order :D

screen_20170826a.jpg

42. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

Aside from missing a sound, the achievement area is now completely finished. I'm happy to announce that aside from testing and marketing related activities, Brink of Extinction TD is now finished and hopefully on target for its november release! :D

43. landon912

landon912

Looking really nice.

_M_S_D_ likes this.
  44. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

Thank you! ^_^

45. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

Some endgame craziness during the final testing/balancing of the endless mode:

46. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

Wow! It's been almost a month since I updated the thread. Just wanted to pop in and say the game is still being worked on, currently doing some last minute tweaks alongside working on promo material. So the game is still on target for a november release. :D

47. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

Some intense gameplay :D

48. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

K, another long hiatus from updating the thread.
    I've been busy working on the Steam Direct stuff, hopefully this upcoming week all that should be set up and done. In the mean time I have finished a cinematic trailer, a gameplay trailer and a feature trailer - these will be displayed here in the upcoming week. :)
    Other than that, I've continued adding a bit of polish to the game and making some minor adjustments where I've found it necessary.
    Things are coming along nicely, and it's great seeing the game getting ever closer to release. :)

49. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

Cinematic trailer is up:

Tomorrow I will post the official gameplay trailer. :) In other news, the steam store page is in the works. :)

50. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

And here's the game play trailer (no real surprises for those who've followed the thread! :p )