Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

ARCHIMATIX PRO Node-based Parametric Modeling for Unity [Unity Awards Finalist]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by roryo, Jun 4, 2015.

1. roryo

roryo

Robot Kyle had a feeling he would cross that bridge when he came to it...

Archimatix 2016-09-15_08-28-23_PM.jpg

5 minute study, modeled completely in the Unity Editor using Archimatix!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  2. roryo

roryo

Playing with the lighting in the above scene...

Archimatix 2016-09-15_09-58-45_PM.jpg Archimatix 2016-09-15_10-00-27_PM.jpg

3. corjn

corjn

Wow this is amazing !

4. roryo

roryo

Kyle had always considered himself an adventurous traveller, but this city kept him on edge… Archimatix 2016-09-16_02-46-43_PM.jpg Archimatix 2016-09-16_02-47-38_PM.jpg

Archimatix 2016-09-16_02-25-47_PM.jpg

Archimatix 2016-09-16_02-35-52_PM.jpg

And in all this in seven nodes! Just a GridRepeater with a Bounding Shape input with ScaleJitter on the Repeater (a hidden 8th node!).

Archimatix 2016-09-16_02-52-18_PM.jpg

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
    neoshaman, Seneral and Whippets like this.
  5. roryo

roryo

Jus one of those scene that you don't want to quit out of to get back to work!

Archimatix 2016-09-16_05-00-15_PM.jpg

Archimatix 2016-09-16_05-00-46_PM.jpg

Archimatix 2016-09-16_05-00-58_PM.jpg

Archimatix 2016-09-16_05-01-11_PM.jpg

Archimatix 2016-09-16_05-02-10_PM.jpg

wetcircuit and neoshaman like this.
  6. Whippets

Whippets

Chillingly similar to the nth level of dreams within dreams from Inception

roryo likes this.
  7. roryo

roryo

@Whippets , we need those Archimatix v2.0 Deformer nodes to start bending this city up and over itself! Then I would never quit out of scene and then v2.0 would never get done... oh, dang it, there I go again creating another paradox! And people wonder why Archimatix is not in the Asset Store yet!

8. roryo

roryo

I am spending an extra week to re-work how node grouping is structured in Archimatix. My apologies to those of you waiting for the next beta cycle. In the meantime, I'll throw out a bit of bacon: a quick study model for testing grouping.

Voila_Capture 2016-09-26_04-21-34_PM.jpg

And a after slight parametric variation:
    Voila_Capture 2016-09-26_04-40-38_PM.jpg

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  9. Whippets

Whippets

Awesome

roryo likes this.
  10. cmart

cmart

Looks extremely cool, can't wait!

roryo likes this.
  11. FreakForFreedom

FreakForFreedom

Yeah, second that. This looks like something extremely fun, I am more than ready to throw my money at you for it :)

roryo likes this.
  12. roryo

roryo

Not sure about the fastest warp speed it can go, but I do know it can be modeled very quickly right in the Unity editor with Archimatix!

Voila_Capture 2016-09-27_02-17-55_PM.jpg Voila_Capture 2016-09-27_02-13-29_PM.jpg Voila_Capture 2016-09-27_02-13-44_PM.jpg Voila_Capture 2016-09-27_02-12-12_PM.jpg

Ok, ok... back to work me!

13. roryo

roryo

Once you've made the model, it is encapsulated by Grouping nodes and then any node fed in can easily control the entire rig. Here the "Plan" shape is fed in (being left outside the Group) and can be swapped for another ship, or modified in realtime to give unique versions that are all in the same "art."
    Voila_Capture 2016-09-27_02-24-53_PM.jpg

S_Darkwell and neoshaman like this.
  14. roryo

roryo

This time, I just "thickened" the Plan Shape being input. So, adjusting that single control then gave this:
    Voila_Capture 2016-09-27_02-30-15_PM.jpg

15. neoshaman

neoshaman

I have reported your post for too much awesomeness :cool:
    I wonder how long before this became a universal generator of everything and more :eek:
    It's just look that good and powerful! I'm sure with some random noise node we can achieve organic look too.

Whippets and roryo like this.
  16. Whippets

Whippets

Now if we can make those ships with rooms, levels, etc on the inside - we're in business

roryo likes this.
  17. roryo

roryo

Thanks, @neoshaman! Archimatix will eventually have the ability to generate organic forms. After its initial release, the system will grow with the addition of new nodes - Deformers, randomizers, city generators, etc. But the first order of business is to get release numero uno out the door! :)

radimoto, neoshaman and Whippets like this.
  18. roryo

roryo

Oh, @Whippets, foul, foul tempter! Egging me on to add more detail to this example model, when already I am having a hard time setting it aside to continue the node group coding! Must. Open. MonoDevelop!

Whippets likes this.
  19. roryo

roryo

These are the voyages of the Starship Archiprise... It's five-year mission: to boldly get this dang parametric modeler into the Asset Store!

Voila_Capture 2016-09-27_02-38-34_PM.jpg

20. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Can you please, please, please stop playing around and get on with releasing this thing? :) I've been eyeballing this asset progress for about .... months which feels like years.
    Keep up the great work (I know it's finished when it's finished) :p

Sabathius, roryo and Whippets like this.
  21. Whippets

Whippets

lol

22. Fab4

Fab4

Or at least a pre Release as a beta for people that cannot wait ;) Like segi

roryo likes this.
  23. Razmot

Razmot

yeah release it early, in case you get hit by a meteor, eaten by a raptor or some other highly probable events like being hired by a company that does not allow you to release stuff on the store :p

roryo likes this.
  24. KingfisherWyvernStudio

KingfisherWyvernStudio

Wow! I just found this thread and I've gotta say, it looks amazing! This surely saves a hell of a lot of production time!

/* keeping my fingers crossed for a nearby (beta-) release */

roryo likes this.
  25. roryo

roryo

Thanks, @Sheriziya - I appreciate the feedback! There is a bit of a learning curve to Archimatix, so you may not see immediate production gains. However, once you get the hang of making a parametric model, as in the case of the spaceship above, you can play with all sorts of variations and serendipitously arrive at creations that you may not have imagined when designing in some other medium like paper sketches or other modeling packages.

With the spaceship example above, I did not start out with a design, or even an idea that I was making a spaceship. I just called up "CathedralPlan" from the Archimatix shape library, fed it into a PlanSweep node and also into a PlanRepeater node, and started playing. Within a few minutes, I was thinking it looked like a spaceship and then started having fun with it. I think this mode of design-in-modeler is Archimatix's strength, but for a beginner, it might take some time to get comfortable using Archimatix this way. In any case, I am looking forward to what you all make of it... and with it!

26. KingfisherWyvernStudio

KingfisherWyvernStudio

@roryo Can this be done with just anything? For my own game I'm thinking about Medieval ships, carts, etc. :) It seems so, but just to be sure :)

I don't mind a learning curve. If you don't want to learn, you shouldn't be in the game design business. But that's just my humble opinion :D

27. roryo

roryo

Medieval carts for sure. For a ship, you may have to wait for a new Archimatix node to be called LoftExtrude or HullExtrude, which will make an extrusion based on several Shapes. Like Maya's Loft Extrude: http://www.piratesahoy.net/wiki/maya-creating-a-ships-hull-using-loft-extrude/

You may notice that, in all the examples on this thread, the extrudes AX currently has are all constant section extrudes such as Extrude, Lathe, and PlanSweep. In addition to a LoftExtrude, AX will eventually feature Deformer nodes which will be able to pinch, taper, surface, etc. deform.

radimoto and neoshaman like this.
  28. KingfisherWyvernStudio

KingfisherWyvernStudio

Wow, that's incredible! And you're planning to include that in Archimatix as well?

Good to know I'll be able to make carts as well. Carts, buildings, that's an important part already :) If ships are to come too, that will make it pretty complete for what I'd like to do :)

29. roryo

roryo

Something else missing from Archimatix at the moment is 3D booleans, for say cutting windows out of a random mesh. However, Archimatix has a very rich set of 2D boolean nodes that can make all sorts of fenestration patterns for wall surfaces. The work flow there is to make the 2D pattern of the wall and then Extrude.

30. KingfisherWyvernStudio

KingfisherWyvernStudio

Nice! Even for those who are early beginners in 3d-modeling, it seems to me this asset is wonderful to have.

/* joining the other requesters here: *?
    When will it be available? Do you have any idea? Or perhaps a beta-version?

roryo likes this.
  31. roryo

roryo

2D booleans can be quite powerful and, best of all, they are manipulated in realtime. Here are a few Archimatix 2016-06-15_11-20-50_AM.jpg Archimatix 2016-06-14_12-33-17_PM.jpg Archimatix 2016-06-13_08-36-03_AM.jpg Archimatix 2016-05-04_04-17-50_PM.jpg Archimatix 2016-05-04_02-34-48_PM.jpg of examples:

Seneral, radimoto, Whippets and 2 others like this.
  32. KingfisherWyvernStudio

KingfisherWyvernStudio

That first one was done with Archimatix as well? With 2D Booleans? Wow! I think I've just found the tool to design my portals as well! Seeing the robot (is it Kyle, don't remember his name for sure) in comparison to the disc, it might be exactly the sizing I need. Gotta be able to get ships through it as well :D

You've made an impressive tool! An amazing job!

BTW, how long have you been developing it? I know your first post is from June last year, but with the amount of detail you already had and now have even more include, I can't imagine this was done in a short time. :)

Kuddos to you! I hope, once you submit it for release in the asset store, it gets an immediate approval!

roryo likes this.
  33. roryo

roryo

I have been working on Archimatix part time for abut 2.5 years, but am full-time on it at the moment. The system has already been through a few months of pretty intensive beta testing by a raucous group of scoundrels who seem to have relished breaking it and finding all its shortcomings (you know who you are)! ;) With all that, the system is getting pretty solid.

I am in the throes of an important restructuring of how node grouping works. This revamp should be done in a week or so. @Fab4 and others have me thinking that perhaps a beta release into the store is the way to get the good ship Archimatix out to sea. Would love to do this before Unite LA first week of November. :)

34. roryo

roryo

And yes, all the examples posted on this thread are 100% Archimatix!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  35. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

36. KingfisherWyvernStudio

KingfisherWyvernStudio

I've got another question. I noticed you stated somewhere Archimatix is more an Architectural tool, not for Character development, weapons, cars, etc. Taken that in mind.....
    I'm planning to have a variety of housing/buildings. That is to say, made of several types of construction material:
    • Normal housing from wood planks and stones. The game is pre-industrial, so no bricks. This is for the "human" race. I can see this easily done in Archimatix.
    • Stone housing for the dwarves, like (ver) large blocks of stone. I can see this easily done in Archimatix as well.
    And here come the challenges:
    1. Tree houses for the Arbominees (Tree People). These are houses actually made of trees, like tree branches. Basically you are building rooms, etc, but not from wood planks. Instead the branches would be the building material itself. Essentially the tree would be the house and the branches would form the basics of the rooms, where twigs from the branches would form the walls. I'm not entirely sure about that, but that's what I have in mind for now. Or... I might do something like this:

2. Kelp housing for the Aquanincola (Kelp People). These are creatures who live on a water planet and their houses are made of Giant Kelp bubbles a bit like you can see here:

The bubble you see would be something like a room, while the other parts could be hallways and such. Or at least the texture would like that.
    3. Hobbit like houses for the halflings.
    Could these houses be made with Archimatix?

BTW, I'm all for an in-game plugin that let's players build their housing (and possibly other buildings) based on some kind of starting template. More variety of housing in games would be awesome!

neoshaman and roryo like this.
  37. roryo

roryo

wetcircuit likes this.
  38. roryo

roryo

Thanks for posting your concept art, @Sheriziya. Looks intriguing!

I think the houses for the Arbominees and the Aquanincola will have to wait for later versions of AX. ;)

Runtime parametric will be a boon to developers once AX supports this. When this is a reality, you will be able to do most of the heavy lifting in the modeling algorithms using the node graph editor, but then expose only simple controls to your players, letting them spend resources to add more space to their houses, eccentric floor plans or richer textures and decorations. The initial release of AX will be editor only, but runtime should follow hopefully not too long after afterwards.

39. KingfisherWyvernStudio

KingfisherWyvernStudio

I wish I could take the credit! Unfortunately I can't found these on the internet, but didn't find the creator of the tree. If someone knows the creator, I'll be happy to post the credits :)

I can deal with that. :D I can work with prototypes for the time being :D

Looking forward to that! That will be something completely different in games :) With players truly being able to edit their house, it won't be a money sink, like it's now in many games, or a "one size fits all", sorta speak.

If you need help testing, I'd love to help out!

Otherwise, I can't wait to get my hands on Archimatix! I've already set some money aside to buy it once it hits the asset store.

roryo likes this.
  40. KingfisherWyvernStudio

KingfisherWyvernStudio

Holy moly, this reminds of a dream I once had where you could sail your ship into a similar construction and than the whole ship would be transported upwards! This is freaky! But sooooo good!

roryo likes this.
  41. ExtraAmmo

ExtraAmmo

Will there be a way to have inputs values that come from a custom script?

42. roryo

roryo

Hi @ExtraAmmo - yes, any parameters that are in any node of the graph will be able to be exposed to the AXModel and from there accessed by any external script. This will essentially allow runtime Archimatix. However, this connection will not be there in the initial release, but rather follow in a free update.

Whippets and wetcircuit like this.
  43. roryo

roryo

Robot Kyle's not exactly sure what these things are, but he knows they can be modeled from scratch in the Unity editor in just a few minutes using Archimatix! And just in time for the holidays!
    Archimatix 2016-10-14_10-39-04_PM.jpg

Archimatix 2016-10-14_11-10-30_PM.jpg
    Getting close to release!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  44. neoshaman

neoshaman

Usually what you make is fantastic, not this time ... this time this is delicious lol :p

Teila and roryo like this.
  45. KingfisherWyvernStudio

KingfisherWyvernStudio

Oh, they are perfect! Thanks for sharing :)

roryo likes this.
  46. roryo

roryo

Well, it was one of those mornings where you wake up and just think, "today is a good day for a new node!" Then, half an hour later, a node that has been contemplated in the pipeline for two years, is simply wrought. The PrefabInstancer node is born!
    Archimatix 2016-10-15_07-37-00_AM.jpg

This node takes any prefab as input and can feed it into other Archimatix nodes. In this example Robot Kyle and his spotlight have been fed into a RadialRepeater.

47. neoshaman

neoshaman

Oh god, now attach a spawn set up script to an empty game object and hey presto! procedural and Dynamic world!

KingfisherWyvernStudio and roryo like this.
  48. roryo

roryo

The beaches in the arctic are cheaper than the tropics, but Robot Kyle is starting to think that for the next vacation he simply must look into warmer latitudes!
    Archimatix 2016-10-15_12-04-28_PM.jpg

This is the Robot Kyle prefab fed into GridRepeater with Perlin Jitter in translation and rotation. The terrain was linked to the GridRepeater to set the trans-y of these cold beach goers. The prefab can have any components attached for NPC behaviors and still be distributed by the Repeater nodes.

49. KingfisherWyvernStudio

KingfisherWyvernStudio

Oh, that's awesome! @roryo Will this be in version 1 of Archimatix?
    @neoshaman That would be great indeed!

50. Whippets

Whippets

Teila and roryo like this.