Search Unity

Will unity suite me?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by RAXO1, Jun 16, 2017.

1. RAXO1

RAXO1

Hi,

I want to start with game development but I am doubting between 2 directions. Unreal or Unity? Because they both use a different programming language, I really want to make the best choice. I want to learn via a udemy course and then continue on learning with my own game. The game will be a strategy/management game where you build your own underwater city. It will have a top view. What would you guys recommend to learn? and why?

2. Tset_Tsyung

Tset_Tsyung

Hi Rax01,

First off, welcome to the Forums.

Second, they both use a variant of C; Unity uses C# and UE4 uses C++.

A few years back I was learning C++ in an effort to learn gamedev from total scratch (no engine). And I can easily say that moving to Unity has been ZERO problem. So don't let that be a problem for you.

From engine will do what you want as far as end product goes. Although, if you have no game making experience I would suggest going through LOTS of game tutorials first, then make silly little games (say 1 a week, or 1 a month for a bit) so as to build up your core skills. Not saying "You will never make your dream game!", I'm just saying "Build a shed or two BEFORE build the cisteen chapel" - never give up on your dreams!

Check out https://madewith.unity.com/ to see some other games made with Unity - you might be surprised.

Oh, also there are lots of free tutorials on this site AND on youtube. Check them out before you part with any money, just to make sure you're happy with this engine.

But I love, LOVE, Unity. I might move to UE4 at some point to try it out, but have no need to as of now.

Hope that I haven't waffled on too much and been more of a help than a hinderance. Have I helped answer your question?

AntFitch and RAXO1 like this.
  3. RAXO1

RAXO1

You definetly answered my question. I think I will be goin with unity. Is it worth a course for 10 dollars? And maybe an extra one on blender later on? Or should I be going in the free way?

Those are the few things I am looking into now. Would be nice to hear your opinion about it.

Tset_Tsyung likes this.
  4. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

For $10, I think the Udemy course is a probably a great value. I say go for it.

Tset_Tsyung, RAXO1 and vegetamaker like this.
  5. vegetamaker

vegetamaker

Some time ago, just after Unreal become free, I started to learn it. It was really hard, not many tutorials over there and a near-death forum. But I suppose it changed by now.

but with Unity I find alot help and I understand it better.

And Udemy is a great place to start.

RAXO1 likes this.
  6. RAXO1

RAXO1

7. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes. If you check the statistics in the box with the price you'll notice the first one (https://www.udemy.com/unitycourse/) has an additional ten hours of video content, twice the number of articles, and over double the amount of supplementals.

Additionally the layout of the lectures and quizzes suggests it is structured very similarly to an actual college course.

JoeStrout and vegetamaker like this.
  8. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I would strongly suggest trying the official tutorials before going elsewhere.

Tset_Tsyung likes this.
  9. RAXO1

RAXO1

Could you maybe provide a reason for this?

10. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Because they are free, good quality, and reasonably up to date.

If they don't suit you, then look elsewhere. But for 90% of people the learn section will be sufficient.

Tset_Tsyung likes this.