Search Unity

Games Wild Origin - A New Frontier Planet!

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Cody-Rauh, May 2, 2017.

1. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

Working is the goal. :) I also hope he sticks with it.

Now as far as end results, I do believe the first few mini games I personally code will, be polished functionally and graphically, but I also doubt they will lack the complexity to be something a person would play more than a couple times.

I hope you stick around long enough to see something completed by me. :)
    You are also welcome to join the discord if you like: https://discord.gg/2xWfDKA

The company and the encouragement would be much appreciated!

2. Farelle

Farelle

oh I'm gonna stick around :D no worries, I'm following this thread for quite a while already :)

3. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

Example of first coded project: https://codyrauh.itch.io/wo-first-test

So it isn't pretty but it is a start. I have several things to learn before this is functioning as intended. However give it some time and let me get it more built up, finished up, polished out. Would make a great tribute to the G.O.A.T. test from Fallout.

Please note this is not the game, just a little mini project I am doing to help myself learn to program!

4. johne5

johne5

Hi guys,
    I'm still plugging away at the hang glider minimap. The work is slow. I only have a few hours each day to work on the project. I have the basic switching mechanism in place to switch between on ground mode and flight. Integrating with someone else's code has been interesting for me. Trying not to brake what is currently working.
    Nice to hear that Cody is looking into learning to code. I can help him with that too.

5. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

Just wanted to update everyone. It has been a busy week, I work 4 other jobs outside of working on this project. Unfortunately it was a busy week for all four jobs, so I got squeezed out of my regular ability to give regular updates.

Starting back Wednesday I should be on a more regular schedule for at least the next couple of weeks, and will be making regular posts and progress again. Thank you for the patience.

This past week I have been learning coding during my down time relaxing and resting, and john has been helping immensely with that. Additionally I have at minimal been ensuring programmers have the resources they need to continue to make their fantastic progress on all three mini games currently under development.

6. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

Hello everyone,

I wanted to throw in a couple of screenshots. John has been toggling between working on the glider controller and some of the functionality for the PILOT test. So he is putting in quiet a bit of time, and I have put quiet a bit on his plate.

Here is a preview of the level editor that Chris has been working on. It is some pretty cool stuff, and will be replacing the previous level editor. While the previous level editor was functional there was some concern that the code from the previous programmer might not be his but ripped from someone else's project or stolen.

So we opted to redo the level editor with new original code to ensure the integrity of our work.

As for me on my end I have been making sure the rest of the team has what they need, and also been trying to rest up from an extended and exhausting work schedule. Additionally most of my focus has gone into planning, and documents, etc. rather than creating new assets.

Ensuring things that we currently have are done tight and polished rather than just throwing tons of stuff together in a haphazard way.

RavenOfCode likes this.
  7. johne5

johne5

that's a nice screen shot of the glider.

Cody-Rauh likes this.
  8. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

Hey everyone, its been a week! A long, rough, week. :)

So good news and bad news.

The company I worked for "restructured there business model" which didn't include me. lol
    I am currently job hunting, what a trip. This is why updates have become weekly vs daily.

GOOD NEWS!

Is I am still rolling with the punches, and both Chris and John are making progress.

John has been revamping code, and thankfully none of the PILOT test code really looks the
    same as when I wrote it. :) It functions much better, looks super sexy and organized, etc.

He is working on adding features like question pooling, random answer placement A,B,C, & D.
    He was also sick this week, but feeling better. Yay!

Chris has been super swamped with work as he codes for a gaming company and they are busy in their dev cycle.
    More changes have been made to the level editor, and the first prototype with at least 75% of the functionality is waiting for yours truly to test it.

Our concept artist, John B, not the same guy as our coder, has been working on the poster art for Worms, Dirt, Bombs, and it looks phenominal! I would have posted it to you but it isn't quiet ready for the public as he is doing some tweaks!

It has been a busy week and the team is doing fantastic. I hope all of you who are checking in on updates are also doing well! Don't be afraid to reply in thread with a little bit about how your week is going!

RavenOfCode and Farelle like this.
  9. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

If there is one thing you can't do without it is good people. John and Chris have really been making things happen despite me being tied up looking for another job.

This week John and I spoke about the progress of the glider. He has been working on both the glider game and the test question game. Both are making great progress. However John expressed that he didn't enjoy working on the character controller stuff, it isn't his strong suite.

So he is now working on things like object interaction. The chest in the screenshot below now open and close, and additionally turn colors when you mouse over them. When mousing over objects what will happen when you interact with them will also be hinted in the mouse cursor. Things like touch pickup, craft, etc.

He is still working on some of the aim mode functionality, but I am excited about the progress.

Chris has been working on Worms, Dirt & Bombs. It is coming along nicely. He has added a couple features I myself hadn't thought to add. The game is feeling more like a game with each update. While you aren't seeing the final graphics here, I myself can imagine what it will look, feel and sound like with all the part in place, and I have to say we are doing fantastic!

Progress keeps on keeping on, and things continue to improve as we work on the games, things have changed course a little here and there, but that is part of development, and making a better game.

Please give a big high five to both John and Chris for all their hard work if you see them in thread.

RavenOfCode and Farelle like this.
  10. johne5

johne5

Here is an update on the game.
    Box interations, Open/Close, Box Glow on mouse hover, Respawn after touching lava, started HUD
    There is a new Item selection system, it currently has 3 modes, Linear, Free, StartAtAnyPoint. These can used for salving Puzzels, Quests, Following a set of instructions

11. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

Hello everyone,

Sorry for the late update, also no pictures with this one. First, I let John go. He is a good guy, however he wasn't a good fit. Plus I felt working on multiple projects was making it hard to do both well, so I wanted to focus on the one, and do one really well then come back to the other later, as it was already derailing from the original design.

I have been working with Chris still on the "Worms, Dirt, Bombs", and it has progressed nicely. It still isn't ready for show time yet. That said we have both thought of several great game features beyond the initial spec, and none of them have substantially changed the game play concept or even added any considerable delay in the progress.

I will post more updates again soon, my main work has also had me buried, so still trying to dig out of the work life imbalance. ha!

12. johne5

johne5

Hey Cody, what been going on with game? any updates you can share?

13. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

John, unfortunately, no updates, nothing has been going on. Chris vanished, and then I started a new job. So now I am re-evaluating plans and looking to do something even simpler. Adapt and Progress.

My apologies to everyone for lack of updates. Life happened and without help couldn't continue by myself. I had planned to return much sooner.

I am currently in the plannings stages for two much simpler mini-games, shelving the previous ones until resources will allow me to tackle something bigger.

14. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

Not sure if people still watch this thread but here is my current update. I recently started researching BOLT for visual scripting but after speaking with several people it was advised against. I was told unless I want to hire someone I need to learn to code, which I am terrible at. I am quiet piss poor at it actually after multiple attempts on and off again over a 10 year period.

That said I am going to try again... cause I like pain. I don't expect great things, I don't actually even have any expectations other than if I keep throwing myself at it I probably won't get any worse than I am now. lol.

Here goes...

15. johne5

johne5

Let me know if you want or need any help.

16. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

Absolutely John, I appreciate the offer. Definitely may have to ping you some time to ask scripting question help.

17. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

Why the long break in updates? Well a number of things...
    1. I was working four jobs and running myself into the ground
    2. Programmer dissappeared into thin air when I thought things were going well.
    3. After that the transmission went out on my truck, lost one of my jobs, was biking 20 miles a day to my other three.
    4. Got married!
    5. Started a new job in December.
    6. Tried to go back to School in May for Business Administration... didn't go well.

TL;DR AKA Life Happened, Now here we are...

I will tell you I am enrolling in school again this time for Bachelors in Game Art online. Despite having 13+ years experience in this industry I believe I can still greatly improve my skillset which would bring knowledge to this project.

I expect the workload of school plus my job to effect progress from time to time, but that is life and I will have to do the best I can.

Now let me fill you in on what is next...

I believe this could never be so true as to this project, a 50+ year legacy 13 years into the works. Very hard to describe the entire scope and effort put into it, especially at such an early stage still. Everything connected, slowly inching together...

If you are curious if I am making progress on the scripting, thought I would share this small GIF.

Humble beginnings, piece by piece growing and gaining in capability. I will be rebuilding this thread as I go along, improving it to be even better than it was when I started it. So if you are still subscribed I encourage you to stick around and if you aren't subscribed to this thread I encourage you to do so.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  18. johne5

johne5

looks good, a little roller ball disguised as a cube! i like it. With an OnCollisionEnter() to set the materials.

19. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

Yep, sometimes it is the simple things, whatever you gotta do to get moving lol.

20. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

I This week I have been focusing on updating the thread as well as the Game's Website. I felt the old method really didn't paint a clear picture of what I was trying to create. So I revised the approach and I think the communication is much clearer.

Also a lot of effort has been put into solidifying a strong foundation for social media presence. I really didn't do great the last time round, and I am hoping to change that by doing better at weaving everything together.

I will be learning C# this weekend and I hope to be able to post a few GIF's of things I am able to do. So please, stay tuned ^^

21. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

So I spent about 16 hours yesterday trying to learn C#, here is what I accomplished.

1. How to change scenes using scene.manager
    2. Mousedown input
    3. How to keep objects from being destroyedOnLoad ( persistent player object through scenes.)
    4. If/Else Loops
    5. Declaring Values
    6. Boolean - Datatype
    7. == ( does it exactly match?)
    8. Turn on/off component
    9. How to update the var in another script.
    Woot woot ^^ Here is a little drawing I did now that I can turn paint function on/off while going over the canvas! ^^

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  22. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

Hi-Ho Hi-Ho off to work I go! Been working on some great concept work for new flora, came up with approximately 30 new species of plants, 8-10 per specific region and going strong.

23. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

Still working on different plants and vegetation for the seven different regions of Wild Origin.

24. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

Hope everyone had a great weekend! ^^

My Sunday was filled with scripting once again in C# here are some of the things I learned.

1. Ternary Operators
    2. Difference between MouseDown and Get Key
    3. Lookat ( turrets)
    4. Delta Time
    5. More familiarity with all Data Types
    6. Able to move on the local and global axis
    7. Better troubleshooting with Debug.Log
    8. How to get things to change direction based on collision
    9. How to spawn objects

It has been pretty busy this weekend, also did some concept art for an indie game on Saturday and it went well ^^.

25. johne5

johne5

look at you, making a game! What kind of data types did you learn about?

26. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

Well a little bit about all of them honestly. Mainly surface level and experimentation. The thought is, learn what something does, and how to connect it to something else. Not really mind-blowing stuff lol.

But yeah a lot of it right now is learning about each element of scripting works, whether it be a data type or a function, or a class, etc. and then tinkering with what I learn.

27. johne5

johne5

you should put a Trigger Collider on the turrets, and when the player Enters the trigger, you spawn a missile and have it move towards the player. That should be something you have learned,
    Spawn prefab, LookAt player, add force

28. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

I appreciate the suggestion. I think the application could be useful somewhere/somehow else for sure, however, combat is not a mechanic within the gameplay.

I merely made a "turret" as a prototype for the purpose of testing lookat function and experimenting, not for the purpose of further development as a weapon.

29. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

Progress continues to be made. The rollerball now has the following improvements:

- Jump with space
    - Swivel Camera

I continue to draw up the desired mechanics for the first minigame. I think it should be pretty fun, nothing crazy but lots of fun. Additionally, I have some plans for some Free 3D art installations in the work that you can explore.

Baby steps... :)

30. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

Looking for 8-bit/Chiptune musicians, and sound effects people if you know anyone. Additionally interested in someone who is experienced in HR, Community Management, and Digital Marketing.

31. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

Everyone roots for a happy cube right? ^^ Enjoy!

32. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

Another late night post :)

So yesterday I posted the little happy cube which will actually be a cubesat style probe for one of the minigames. Tonight I am sharing another controller I built for our flying drone the AT1

I have also figured out how to allow the player to switch from 3rd to 1st person view, back and forth. :) As well as swivel the camera on both right/left and up/down axis.

33. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

Today one of the main characters in the WO series of minigames was restored after being lost last year during a file save. Very glad to have our little Panda Corey friend back!

34. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

Wild Origin's website is now back up with a new update and new design.

https://www.wildorigin.online/

Things tackled this weekend:

- Rebuilt the drone script with smoother movement and physics.
    - Began developing some of the terrains for the multiple regions of the planet.
    - Built the entire Wild Origin website from beginning to current state.
    - Upgraded Discord server with more sections and categories for organizing content releases.
    - Updated Patreon and Twitter sites.
    - Began benchmark testing for current development state on multiple laptops.

Mike Hawthorne contributed the current music track to the game.

https://soundcloud.com/wildoriginonline/wild-origin-leaking-gravity

35. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

RavenOfCode likes this.
  36. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

Try also posting things to Reddit (/r/Unity3D, /r/GameDev, etc.) as well. I've found those get much more traction than the forums and personal websites (unless the game is already very popular).

The game's progress is looking good!

37. salfingerandrew

salfingerandrew

:O love the art style amazing job!!!