Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Games Wild Origin - A New Frontier Planet!

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Cody-Rauh, May 2, 2017.

1. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

This thread is no longer active please visit https://www.wildorigin.online/ for updates

Game Website | Learn more about the game here.
    Portfolio | Curious about my experience and background?
    Patreon | Allows you to subscribe to support the projects, and get rewards.
    Ko-fi | Here you can make a one-time donation to my work.
    Twitter | A place where I post random updates/artwork on a regular basis.
    Discord | Chat Server where you can ping me or hang out with others.

View: Development Screenshots | Concept Art

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  2. Jamster

Jamster

This art style is awesome. :eek:

I really like the combination of the blocky entities and smooth terrain, it makes it seem more interesting than something which is just all blocks (which might also get written off quite quickly as another Minecraft clone!).

I also really like the fourth image because of the grass, it adds a little extra too it which makes it feel more immersive and the combination of the smooth floor, blocky trees and populous grass makes a really nice trio! :)

The only thing I'm not sure about is the mountains, I feel they're too pointy for hills but don't have the rockiness of real mountains, maybe that's why I like the fourth image the most! Perhaps some straighter, maybe more jagged edges or a different texture for the peak of the mountain might help create the right effect?

Keep up the great work! I love it :D

3. carking1996

carking1996

What the images you show that you wanna recreate have are different looks. You're using shadows.. shading, etc. You want a toon shader or something similar to have flat colors and such.

I think the first voxel approach is much more appealing than the new organic approach.

4. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

Replies:

@ Jamster, thank you. I took it one step further after finding a shader which took the texture from that terrain and then blocked it all up, which helps tie in the trees with the ground. Making the transition with vegetation not so extreme.

The mountains are actually sand dunes lol. :) Hard to tell though so early on without context clues. Mountain elements will actually be mesh model.

I plan to do several interations of the grass as I don't want to crutch on it too much to cover up terrain. :)

@ Arrow, I am interested to see your thoughts on the new terrain as it allows blocky + organic.

Today's Update: After about 12 hours, I feel the past few weeks of bashing my face against terrain over and over again is starting to pay off. Ran into shader issues, which slowed things down, but also sped things up. I also used the feedback of Arrow and Jamster to see if I couldn't somehow come up with something in the middle.

Lots to do, decided we need a shader guy on the team, as it would be helpful with custom shaders.
    Here is the current one I have someone I know working on.

The goal is to implement some strong gradient to the models similar to the game transistor.

Here is today's photo updates:

Alien Terrain Area

Sand Dunes

Initial Crash Site

As always feedback is appreciated and necessary for improvement!

Last edited: May 2, 2017
    salfingerandrew and Jamster like this.
  5. carking1996

carking1996

I think the vignetting is too much. Remove it. And lose the Realtime shadows maybe. Doesn't fit in with the aesthetic

6. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

What do you think of the change in the terrain? I know you mentioned you didn't like the previous version.

7. Jamster

Jamster

I strongly disagree with the shadows, I think they fit in fine...

RavenOfCode and alexanderameye like this.
  8. ADNCG

ADNCG

I'd lose the vignetting as well, and personally I preferred the last terrain. Lovely feel overall though.

9. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

@ Arrow & Antoine - vignetting has now been reduced.

While I am here, here is some of the head customizations, your character will be able to get/change tattoo's, contacts or eye color, and cut hair differently with the proper item.

ADNCG and Jamster like this.
  10. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

Today I added a twitch stream so you can join and see me while I work on the project. Plus I finished another new animal within the project to send off to the animator.

Plus check out the twitch channel here!

11. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

Hey guys, super super super need your help!

I have been stuck for a couple weeks now, over 40 hours worth of effort with some problem.
    I have posted for helped and tried to seek assistance yet, none to be had :(.

I have followed this tutorial: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/HOWTO-alphamaps.html

Yet I am still having problems with my alphas.

Still ending up with these white lines, around the flowers.

I have tried importing as .png and .psd, and following the tutorial. https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/HOWTO-alphamaps.html Additionally I have tried removing mipmap, and using point, bilinear, and trilinear filters. No success :(.

What I found that was pecular is my grass which never went into photoshop, I instead rendered it out of Qubicle, had black lines. However...

After I imported the flowers the grass fixed itself... WTF?!

So now the grass looks right, however I don't know how to get alphas to import clean consistently, and a lot of the work needing done is alpha/vegetation.

I have spent 40+ hours on the problem and so much of that could have gone into actually just creating lots of new content.

If I could get this figured out then I would have this nice lush environments all done up without the white lines killing the scene :(

12. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

Things continue to improve. Currently the alpha issues are fixed.

Things are coming along. However some graphic artifact is still occurring. Grass is fine until you import a third grass texture and then it will cause thin green lines at the very top of the texture edge.

Which becomes highly disruptive where grass is dense. If anyone knows the cause, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Jamster likes this.
  13. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

Now that lines at top of textures are fixed vegetation is progressing well.
    You will see vegetation is starting to have a little variety and is looking less flat.

Jamster likes this.
  14. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

Today colonist set up a drop pod to serve as an outpost for operations. Solar panels have been attached, the ramp opened, and equipment and terminals are currently being salvaged to act as service station interface points.

salfingerandrew likes this.
  15. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

Today was more relaxing after the grueling grind lately.
    Been a lot of fixing this and that and doing design documents etc.

One of the team members had mentioned frustration with the ground check on the character controller over the past week. So to make things a little more relaxing for him I created some couches on our test platform for him to rest on. :)

Also as we are getting ready to start another recruitment drive for team members in the next week, I decided to add a nice welcome sign to greet them when they access the test platform each time. :)

Additionally I have added falling leaves to the evergreen prefab to add a little bit of ambient visuals to the scene.

Also I had forgotten to post this, but here is a screenshot of the vegetation in the Red Savanna biome.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  16. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

Today started rough drafts of the game UI, which will be used for the login, menu, inventory etc. The idea is to use a smartwatch. Ignore the wristband, just a placeholder for the watch face to attach to. This is just initial concept, not final design.

salfingerandrew and RavenOfCode like this.
  17. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

So this week has been more work on the character controller. Jump and Run toggle has been fixed. Going down hills now works correctly, going up them is now an issue :). I have been hammering away on the GUI! woot woot!

I had a blooper which caused Mark to have to redo the functionality for turning left and right :) ooops... sorry Mark XD.

Also started our 2nd phase of recruiting team members so get in on that here.

&

Also added some new Game OST tracks to our website which you can view on our media page here!

Communicating specific function over the internet can be without a doubt difficult and confusing, lol

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  18. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

Since Mark has been doing such a good job bug hunting and making mods to the camera and character controller, decided to award him with a little prank today for all his hard work.

You see Mark recently watched the last Alien movie, so I left him a little face hugger in the bathroom.

theANMATOR2b and RavenOfCode like this.
  19. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

Thanks to SeigfriedCross I learned how to make animated GIF's today!

Thought I would show you guys a little bit of the world in motion.

20. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

Some days, you just gotta tip toe through the garden.

:)

RavenOfCode likes this.
  21. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

So been busting $)(*@ to get the GUI working, and finally!!! Yes!!! It scales like it is supposed to! :)

Now this isn't the final polished look of it, but the significance is that this is am in game screenshot not the photoshop version I posted earlier prototyping this. It was definitely a hard fought effort.

Lots of pulling my hair, smashing my face against the keyboard and running my foaming mouth against the keys, then getting up and spinning in circles in frustration, right before running into the bedroom and smashing myself head first into a pile of blankets. Only to get back up 10 minutes later to rinse and repeat.

This week Mark implemented 1st person camera mode on top of our current third person. We have also set up a server and are getting things set up so Mark can get a multiplayer scene running for us to at least run around in within the same scene.

I still have quite a bit to do on the GUI, but over the next two weeks my plan is to post more shiny things art side. I didn't mean to bore anyone to death with lack of new eye candy, just had to take care of task dependencies before creating the great wall of oncoming assets. :)

I know what we are doing is pretty small, pretty much little things and beginnings, but for anyone viewing our thread doesn't believe in what we are doing here...

Oh Snap! ^^

Jamster likes this.
  22. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

Not sure if I mentioned this before we also have a public discord server: https://discord.gg/2xWfDKA for you to join if you want to hang out.

Today Mark was able to get the client connected to our server.
    We were able to spawn 4 basic cube controllers there were each controlled by one person.
    He is located in the UK, I am in the US as were the others in different places.
    We were accomplishing smooth display of movement to each other.

My side of things has been getting more assets done.

Our plan is to give arrows different puzzle solving abilities rather than to do damage to living things.

Started creating some more vegetation for a new biome I am building up.

NickHaldon likes this.
  23. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

So many may be turned off by the fact that Wild Origins isn't combat focused, that the closest thing to combat would be hunting animals for necessary materials, even then it won't be like grinding for mats in your traditional mmo.

Our perception is, what about the enemies you can't just hack n slash away? Ones that sometimes are invisible, or traps, the weather, or the very ground you walk on itself. We firmly believe the world around you can be the deadliest and most terrifying enemy you ever face, is the one you can't kill.

Update VU000.0020 introduces the concept of the phantom, our first real danger to the character besides fall damage.
    While this shadowy form isn't function yet, players will eventually find nightfall has hidden dangers, and to venture into the dark is a quest with only one reward, death.

RavenOfCode likes this.
  24. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

Been testing Linux vs Windows servers, multiplayer, and persistent object status features.
    Definitely a lot of fun to hang out with people even if all you can do is stand on each other's head at the moment. :)

25. Jamster

Jamster

When I started a MMORPG years ago as a beginner we used to be in hysterics trying to build towers of trolls :D Never underestimate the fun you can have with such simple mechanics.

Needless to say I gave up on it though!

26. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

@Jamster - I agree, simple fun is where it is at. I remember being a kid, playing outside, finding sticks, and rocks, and places out in the woods to just use my imagination.

Sorry to hear you gave up, what happened?

Dev Update:
    So with the help of a dev working on another game, Mark was able to get movement for multiplayer working super smooth! So definitely pretty excited! I added some hot dogs and marsh mellows for the fire pit for those of you who love camping!

I will be looking to add other objects as well, such as torches, and simple things which we can easily implement to help increase the fun and laugh level. :)

27. Jamster

Jamster

@Cody-Rauh I can't remember now, too long ago. Think I just wasn't experienced enough and too ambitious!

I used the knowledge I gained to write my networking framework though so it wasn't all a loss!

Anyway, I don't want to hijack your thread so I'll shhh :)

28. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

No worries, a little convo is better than a dead thread :). You can also always join us on our discord server to chit chat if you like. ^^ https://discord.gg/2xWfDKA

29. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

Here is you can see where we have been prototyping clouds, which also produce shadows on the ground.

http://imgur.com/urEE9L8

Apparently forums don't like GIF animation links.

30. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

- All movement is smooth now on server!
    - New improvements by Sean in movement and animations!

- Clouds now are stage 1 & 2 with 3 & 4 to come ( more cloud types/formations ).
    - I have created rain, which splashes on the ground.
    - Rain now moves with and spawns out of stage 2 clouds. ( rain clouds )
    - Thunder and Snow to come eventually.

31. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

Today Sean completed wave and shrug emotes. :) more emotes coming soon...

I have started to work on status effect icons to display above player names.

Mark has been getting the player name display system working. So far so good!
    Hoping to have the ability to set our own names by the end of the week!

Jamster likes this.
  32. Foestar

Foestar

Add Kitties now and I can guarantee my girlfriend will "squee" and love this.
    Looks good, keep it up.

33. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

This past week I have been upgrading the system for organization and documentation for the team, as well as the community. This is an effort to simplify navigation due to the increased complexity of the project.

Each category has three individual sub maps for, planned, needed, and completed tasks.
    This is linked to a task management system that allows us to track progress, updates, and links to references to the task all in one place.

Additional efforts have been at creating documents for future tasks to ensure smooth completion of upcoming features.

34. Bakuda

Bakuda

I'm loving this art style. Very fun looking.

35. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

Thank you! Glad you like it, please feel free to join us on discord! https://discord.gg/2xWfDKA

Update:

Today, I was able to decide on our platform solution for creating flow charts for documentation of program logic. This probably isn't the part of game development like to talk about at parties, but I feel it is critical to solid work.

RavenOfCode likes this.
  36. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

Mark has been working on menu, data file select, player name for single player.
    After this we will be tackling the save file system before moving on to other fun stuff. :)

Meanwhile I have been story boarding the single player with some pencil sketches on paper.
    Additionally created this size scale chart of the ships for single and multiplayer.

Lots of thought going into each piece.

37. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

This week has been a rough week, and today was a particularly rough day.

Besides holding down three jobs outside of this project, I had at Marks requested shifted our focus to the single player side of the project, as multiplayer programming was too difficult for him. Which meant a hard shift in gears as well as which documents needed to be prepared. I spent 70+ hours this week alone creating documentation, and adapting plans and resources.

- Sean our animator dropped from core team to contributor a couple days ago and is mainly out of contact due to personal life. I knew this was coming cause he had expressed some difficulties a couple weeks before.

- Mark suddenly left project today, removed skype and discord. Stating the project wasn't well enough documented. Which is pretty upsetting when you spend the time to make detailed program logic flow charts like this, with no feedback on how to improve.

https://www.lucidchart.com/documents/view/1e041507-58a0-4278-9f87-548c6dc1074d

I have also been working on story boarding for the single player, and using same technique to help guide our contributor level concept artists on what environments are planned and a thumbnail of what the scene may look like.

Along with additional image references and quick chats before they begin to ensure all questions are answered, and I get them all the resources they need to be successful.

I have to admit, developing a friendship with someone over two months only for them to without warning, nd no prior mention of problems to cut you completely out of their life is a pretty big blow to my morale atm.

I care about people on my team a lot, I am always excited for people when I hear they went out and did something fun over the weekend, and come back and share it. Always encouraged people to go at their own pace, and to just enjoy the process.

Luckily I have some contributors that are fantastic concept artist and musicians still. Being an 3D artist it is going to be rough to have any new "functional" features to show you guys until I can find new people to help with code and animation, so my apologies in advance.

Going to continue to post updates, and hopefully things will get moving again with code and animations again soon.

P.S. I wanted to add something to this post. The frustration and irritation I have with Mark is that he out of the blue dropped our friendship, which I valued very much. As a programmer, Mark is skilled, did some great work for the project, and I am deeply grateful for the time he put into the project. Also I believe it is very kind of him to give me permission to use the work he did for the project on into the future.

Given the choice I would have chosen to keep him as a friend, and told him to stop working on the project if he wasn't happy. The friendship is a bigger loss than not currently having a programmer for the project.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
    RavenOfCode, Jamster and PhilippG like this.
  38. Bakuda

Bakuda

Wow...that's really rough. I know how hard it is to be part of a project and have someone pull out for no apparent reason. Keep your chin up, though. I'm sure you'll be able to work things out in the end.

Cody-Rauh likes this.
  39. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

@Bakuda Thanks, yeah no plans to give up or throw in the towel. Just one of the many lessons I needed to learn in this process. Could always be worse, if he actually wanted to be a bad guy he could have uploaded the entire project to some torrent and let it out free to the world.

I think yesterday was a great learning lesson.
    I didn't think it possible for someone to just poof out of the blue, no warning.
    Especially after both of you have spent two months laughing and talking together.

It really got me thinking about how naive I was being by trusting people with completed
    and polished art assets that I have been working so hard on.

From this point on, going to start using a test scene for any aspect of the development that
    requires someone else to have access to the assets. These assets will not be the finished/full version
    but a blank model or dummy model.

It really sucks that it has to be like this, but I guess that is the reality of the world today.
    Especially when you are dealing with people you don't actually know on the internet.

salfingerandrew and PhilippG like this.
  40. nicolasbulchak

nicolasbulchak

Very cool. I love the progress. What inspired you to create this

41. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

Thank you!

A couple of things. First I plan on spending the next 50 years working on development of this world. At the age 32, that means I will be working on this well into my 80's. I realize that sounds ridiculous at face value, however I have already spent 4 years alone building up the world.

I want this world I am building to be an open canvas for my imagination for others to enjoy. Not just another project I was paid to do so I could pay bills. Thus I treat it differently.

The other part of my inspiration is the experiences I have had in other games. The feeling behind them. So I don't see myself really creating a game, I instead see myself as building a world that shares a set of experiences and emotions from my life and other games I have enjoyed.

The idea of building an organic virtual canvas is exciting to me. Things change in weeks or even days when it comes to development of virtual worlds, I can only begin to imagine how such a world would evolve and change over a lifetime.

RavenOfCode, Jamster and Farelle like this.
  42. nicolasbulchak

nicolasbulchak

How exciting and ambitious! I will do my best to keep watching as you and your creation evolve together.

Cody-Rauh likes this.
  43. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

Thank you, much appreciated!

Currently in the middle of the work week, and putting in quiet a few hours + Jessica's birthday is coming up Thurs. so getting ready for that. Most of the time has been talking to programmers about the project, and feeling out who would be a good fit and where.

I was able to do this line art sketch for an over world concept art sketch in between all the busy. I sent over to one of the concept artists, and looking forward to seeing what he comes up with based on of this.

RavenOfCode likes this.
  44. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

Things are starting to get back on track.

Currently have what seems to be two dependable programmers, and a sfx guy contributing to the project at this time. Already had a programmer come and it seems leave without notice, but this cycling of people seems to be the nature of unity, and some peoples attention spans. ^^

Each programmer is getting their own mini game, which has enough meat to be a standalone game. However is drastically smaller in scope and time commitment than the main single player itself, which is even smaller in resource requirements then the end goal of multiplayer.

The following is a grid turn based, strategy treasure hunting game, that combines elements of pac man and minesweeper. Daniel just finished the grid system that allows me to easily build out the levels.

Our other programmer john will be working on a hanglider minigame for the float cliff environment.

The textures in this image that you aren't seeing still exist, but are stripped out the project so no one takes assets and runs once they have them for use into their own projects.

Each mini game represents a portion of the overall world. For players to get a taste of the characters, and environments while we work on the bigger pictures. Many shards of the same universe essentially.

45. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

Today we got an early start. First I have infused textures to the level to see how they look with the design and the results plus camera effects came out like this.

Additionally I have completed the documentation for the hang glider movement control. This is for another mini game which will be taking place in the Float Cliffs biome, and will eventually make itself into the primary single player, and eventually into the multiplayer online.

I wanted to also remind everyone that you are invited to join our community discord. https://discord.gg/2xWfDKA
    You don't have to be a contributor or team member to hang out with us and talk with us.

RavenOfCode likes this.
  46. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

It has been a bumpy road this week.
    Recruitment has been a process... still looking for the right people.

Despite the struggles, I still continue to develop the art assets and documentation.

Still have 2 out of 3 programmers that I recruited last weekend, but it has been interesting.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
    RavenOfCode likes this.
  47. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

Been story boarding & planning the basic function elements of some of the mini games that will compliment the concept of the entire world. The purpose of these mini games is to release small titles which allow players to get a taste of elements of developing game play and even give feedback.

It also serves as a proving ground for programmers joining the team. This is important as the both the multiplayer game and single player are large enough titles that a full team of reliable people will be required to complete them.

It is all a building process. :)

Additionally screenshots posted will now all include date, and title to indicate they are not the final graphics quality of the game, and to prevent them from haunting us later when people are looking for images of our game to decide if they want to play or not.

RavenOfCode likes this.
  48. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

I like the idea of all the small minigames, it's a great way to have working demos easily and to get programmers working confidently on the project.

49. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

Yes, and it is quickly showing me who to weed out etc.

This morning I had to axe another "programmer" from the project. He wasn't able to even produce a prototype of cursor functionality where the mouse icon changes image based on required conditions. In this case when you moused over an object.

The past two months has been extremely eye opening.

I currently have a single programmer, who may or may not pan out, at the moment. I am actually desperate enough at this point, not only am I brushing off my skills in animation, which I haven't had to use in about 3 years, I am now starting to go through C# tutorials to learn coding.

I am planning for the worst case scenario, in which it is going to be me, alone, working on the game's art, code, and animation. Then all that will be left is to pay someone for some music and sounds. I am pretty sure it is the loneliest way to make a game, however, over time maybe I will attract the attention of programmers and animators with similar skill level and experience as me in their respective craft.

I imagine coding is going to be similar to the process of 3D modeling when I first started. I created a wooden block sword in a sandbox in second life. I clicked physical on the check box thinking that is how you made it hit people, before linking the pieces.

As I went to pick it up it exploded into pieces with parts of it flying across the entire region.

Point and being is, if I can suffer through those silly learning lessons, I can if necessary make some of the mini games myself, and eventually the single player. Will probably take me 10 years, but that is ok, cause this project isn't about the money.

Anyways back off the soap box, and back into some tutorials. :)

RavenOfCode likes this.
  50. Farelle

Farelle

definitely not impossible :) I went for going on my own aswell after I had some issues with programmers, but now I'm happy that I managed to learn C# enough that I can create my own code, maybe not beautiful code, but it works :D (and I was actually thinking I really really wouldn't be able to learn that) it's just about, biting your way through it :) but I do hope the one programmer you have left is working out for you ^^ (also I'm extremly curious how this project is gonna turn out)