Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

WIFI issues on LAN or Android Client <=> Windows Server?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Indiefreaks, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Indiefreaks

Indiefreaks

Hi,

I am meeting some issues when using UNET on multiple devices on the same LAN using WIFI.

Here is my current setup:
    I have a server hosted on Windows that I launch before everything else.
    The server has a broadcast service to let LAN clients know how to connect to the server.
    The server has also a lobby for players to join.

I then have a client on Windows too (the same machine) that I launch right after the server.
    It gets the broadcasted message and then joins the lobby without any issue.

I finally have a client on Android that I launch after all of the others.
    It also gets the broadcasted message and joins the lobby.
    However, after some time, depends really on every trial I made, the Android client gets disconnected because of a timeout issue.

In order to verify that my code wasn't in cause, I tried launching clients from several machines that all are on LAN Ethernet (not using the WIFI). It all worked perfectly with no disconnection.

I therefore wonder if my issue could be related to using WIFI or because making communicating an Android Client and Windows server and clients?

Unfortunatelly, I don't have Windows machines to test connections over WIFI (all machines are desktop without any WIFI support) so I can't confirm its a WIFI issue but it sounds like it....

I attached my Android device log file so that someone with a deeper understanding on UNET or low level networking could find out what's going on...

This is driving me crazy as it simply blocks the core principle of the game I'm trying to develop... :(

Thanks by advance.

Attached Files:

2. aabramychev

aabramychev

Unity Technologies

Hm, I have two guess so far
    (1) Low battery level on the device
    (2) device jumped from one wi-fi network to another...

3. Indiefreaks

Indiefreaks

There are no issues with the device. And it doesn't state changing to another Wi-Fi network.

4. aabramychev

aabramychev

Unity Technologies

It was LTE or WiFi? (sorry for this question, just to be sure)
    Can you ping your android device? If yes can you attach results? (rtt + jitter) ?
    Do I understand correctly, you have one (or more) PC which are connected via ethernet to router, and android device is connected to the same router via WI-FI?

5. Indiefreaks

Indiefreaks

No, they all are communicating through Wi-Fi. The other setups were some tests to try to identify if the issue was caused by the code, network or cross device communication.

6. aabramychev

aabramychev

Unity Technologies

hm report the problem please and attach your project (in minimal configuration) as well as description of all steps for problem reproducing. Without this I afraid I cannot help you:( (Something strange, as we definitely tested android)

7. Indiefreaks

Indiefreaks

I will prepare that this week-ebd abd submit the project. Where should I post that to?
    Moreover, could you please enligth my ignorance letting me know how do you state if an idle server and client are still connected? Do you send periodical pings?

Thanks

8. aabramychev

aabramychev

Unity Technologies

>I will prepare that this week-ebd abd submit the project. Where should I post that to?
    https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/bug-reporting

> how do you state if an idle server and client are still connected? Do you send periodical pings?
    yes full analogy with tcp - periodic (config.PingTimeout) keepalive packets

9. Serhii-Horun

Serhii-Horun

I have the same issue. Is there a solution?

10. Indiefreaks

Indiefreaks

Hi, yes there is a simple solution: Simply extend the timeout for responses and it sgould work fine.

11. Serhii-Horun

Serhii-Horun

I think this is exactly what is the problem. But, what exactly needs to change?
    I tried increase NetworkManager.MaxDelay from 0.01 by default, to 0.2(than tried to 2.0) , and tried change NetworkManager.connectionConfig.DisconnectTimeout form 2000(default) ms to 6000 ms. But nothing helped.

12. mDabgar

mDabgar

please tell me how to do codding for multiplayer over wifi...

thanks....

13. Serhii-Horun

Serhii-Horun

no difference in codding (UNET)

14. mDabgar

mDabgar

what code should be added to run game on 2 or more devices without internet over wifi....

15. Acagamesru

Acagamesru

Hello Sir!
    I have the same issue. Is there a solution?