Search Unity

Why does Unity need payment info for FREE Pro trial?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lod3, Mar 22, 2017.

1. lod3

lod3

Instead of reminding me when the trial is about to end, then notifying me that I need to provide payment info in order to continue as a Pro user, else revert to Unity Personal?

And more importantly, what if I finish my project during the trial period and release it, but then opt not to continue with a Pro subscription after the trial? Is this even possible?

I realize there may be answers to these questions out there, but I could not find them, and why I am posting here. Thanks in advance.

2. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

I don't think unity pro has a trial anymore, you just subscribe. You can use personal if you are just trying it out. At least I don't see any information about a trial anywhere.

3. lod3

lod3

It's a special promotion for Unity Pro 4.x licensees. They've been sending me emails about the trial for months, which ends March 31, 2017 (signup, that is). Just got another email this morning, which prompted this post.

Attached an image with the details (no personal info). In fact, when I try to sign up, it even lists my Unity Pro 4.x serial number, requesting to transfer it in exchange for the trial.

Attached Files:

4. Acissathar

Acissathar

That's how most free trials are nowadays. You provide payment info so that once your trail ends you can "seamlessly continue" unless you cancel.

Meltdown likes this.
  5. lod3

lod3

What about being able to release a game during the Pro trial? Does anyone know?

6. Ryiah

Ryiah

You read that the license says? You're saying you never read the license? Go read it now. There is no such restriction.

7. Ryiah

Ryiah

Quoted directly from the EULA. Only way you're not allowed to develop your game under Unity Free and release under Unity Pro is if you've already passed the thresholds. Otherwise you simply upgrade to Unity Plus or Pro when you've met them.

https://unity3d.com/legal/terms-of-service/software

8. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Yea, that definitely isn't true. They want you to upgrade.

As far as the trial goes, if it is like it was in the past, you can't release using the trial.

9. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

That's not what it says.

10. Ryiah

Ryiah

No. You don't win. It doesn't say that in the slightest. You cannot mix licensing tiers. That's always been the case. You can upgrade to Unity Plus or Unity Pro from Unity Free though. That's always been the case too.

simultaneously.png

zombiegorilla likes this.
  11. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

12. Ryiah

Ryiah

It's very clear and worst case if you've rolled a 1 on legal comprehension then the forums are always here to make it clear.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  13. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Minimum 1 year subscription.

14. lod3

lod3

Thank you for the feedback, everyone. But if what zombiegorilla said is true, there's zero point to bothering with the trial. Hoping someone from Unity Legal can chime in here.

15. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

There should be terms somewhere if you follow that link, before you enter your card. (I would hope). You should be able to verify it there.

16. lod3

lod3

I emailed Ben Stoneman, and mentioned this thread. Would be nice to officially clear this up.

17. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

@yoonitee, don't bulk delete your posts in a thread like that. It is rude and screws up the context of the thread.

18. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Thanks. Thought I was on someones block list! I was like - "Dang! what did I ever do to make yoonitee block me". :confused:

19. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

The point of a trial is for you to evaluate something for purchase. I think it's fair enough for them to verify your ability to purchase it (by making sure you have a payment method) and your willingness to do so (by you actually handing over the details), because if you're not genuinely considering a purchase then why should you be trialing in the first place?

To be fair... I can't see the point of a trial at all considering the (lack of) difference between the paid and unpaid licenses. Maybe legal stuff for companies already over the income thresholds?

Ostwind likes this.