Search Unity

Where to start? Please help...

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Writersface13, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Writersface13

Writersface13

Hello everyone! So, I've had Unity for a few days and have started doing the advanced tutorials. I was able to make the Roll a Ball game, but Space Shooter isn't working out. The reason for this is the diffference in the C# scripting language which makes me wastes hours and hours trying to find the right code (which so far has not worked out well over the past 8 hours of constant searching). I am losing my mind because I really want to make games, but this new version is screwing me over. Does anyone have any tutorials that I can use with the updated version of Unity or any other suggestions to help me out of this rut? Should I leave Unity until I know proper C#? Download an old version of Unity? I am stressing out! Thank you for your time!

2. eXonius

eXonius

It'd probably be useful if you learnt some basic C#.

But anyhow you could post the project or code you have trouble with here and maybe we can help you. I'd be happy to help if I knew what the problem is.

I also think the issue are not changes in C# (to be technical) but rather changes in the Unity engine and Unity's API.

Opening a old Unity project in a new version of Unity can indeed have many issues that needs to be fixed. Especially if it's a major version difference.

Writersface13 likes this.
  3. Writersface13

Writersface13

I'm not exactly sure what API is. And thank you for your offer, it means a lot, but the tutorials are so outdated that if I were to post every problem I had here, it would mean a post every ten minutes. That's the situation I'm in.

4. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Jump over to the topics section. Start with Interface and Essentials. Then move on to the Scripting section.

I've never found the complete project stuff especially good to learn from.

5. Schneider21

Schneider21

API means Application Programming Interface. It's the set of classes (with their associated methods and properties) that allows you to use all the Unity "stuff".

That's actually not the case. The tutorials are not perfectly up to date, it's true. But the core lesson they're teaching is the same, and is incredibly useful still. The editor gets updated so frequently that it may differ a decent bit, but you can figure it out fairly easily with a bit of looking around, or at worst, a quick Google search.

orb likes this.
  6. orb

orb

Yeah, some of the tutorials are for a very old version of Unity. If you skip anything for 4.x or older and focus on tutorials for 5.x and 2017.x versions they will work with the current style of programming. There are also many new features they haven't gotten around to doing proper tutorials for yet. The new tile maps and the experimental input system are for example basically undocumented from the programming perspective. But they're not properly released yet anyway - but at least the tile maps are very useable at this point.

I definitely don't think you should stay away from Unity till you know C#. Unity is a great way to learn C#. Once you're familiar with it you'll stop asking about code, and more about techniques. That's when it starts to get really fun.

JoeStrout and Kiwasi like this.