Search Unity

Where is UP-TO-DATE Info on Making Mac App Store Build??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JayJennings, Aug 5, 2016.

1. JayJennings

JayJennings

I'm looking at this page:

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/HOWTO-PortToAppleMacStore.html

...and right away it says for me to make an iconset -- but the Mac build I did with Unity 5.4 has an iconset already. So if that's wrong, how can I trust anything else on the page?

Is there some page with good/valid info on publishing a Mac build to the MAS?

Jay

2. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

I would love this too ... I tried to follow those directions and for me it kept error-ing out on the iconset steps. Anyone released to Mac recently that can clarify?

3. User340

User340

4. JayJennings

JayJennings

Thanks, Daniel. But I'm still hoping someone from Unity will come by and point me to where they've posted up-to-date info for doing this. That they don't makes me wonder what's going on -- do people not use Unity for making games for the Mac App Store?

Jay

5. User340

User340

Honestly it feels like they don't. Just look how dead this OS X forum is... Shame really, OS X is such a wonderful platform.

JayJennings likes this.
  6. BrainAndBrain

BrainAndBrain

Bumping this as I too am looking for trustworthy information, and the guide in the Unity manual looks fishy.

7. BrainAndBrain

BrainAndBrain

8. BrainAndBrain

BrainAndBrain

9. VIC20

VIC20

I wish they would have a forum thread for this tool. I don’t want to bother asset publishers with emails just because I am too stupid to use their tool, a forum works 24/7 by showing old Q&A which usually is enough.

10. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Yes I spoke to developer and used this tool, saved me hours or work.
    Make sure u download latest release as it contains a crucial fix.
    Forgot Unity guys they dont give a s@@@ when comes to OSX.
    Cant even be asked to update most there documents related to mobile platforms.
    There main focus seems PC and engine itself..

11. BrainAndBrain

BrainAndBrain

I made a Mac App Store/OS X guide for myself after scouring the internet. It may be a bit difficult to follow, but here it is, in case it's helpful!

- David

Icon

PNG files should NOT have their color profile data removed. Don't use "Save for Web." Create icns file using XCode: make a dummy project, open Assets.xcassets, and fill in the information. Build the app and open it to extract the icns file.

Process
    I had trouble using Signed exclusively, so I ended up building with Signed and trying to sign it, which created the plist file. I then followed the guide below, creating a .entitlements file and codesigning via the Terminal. I then submitted with Application Loader, and the build was accepted.
    1. Build using "Signed" in Unity.
    2. Update any relevant settings, such as the build number.
    3. Click the "Sign" button in Unity.
    4. Replace the PlayerIcon.icns and UnityPlayerIcon.png icon files with mine.
    5. Copy the .entitlements file to the same folder as the game's .app.
    6. Ensure that permissions are correct: chmod -R a+xr "{YOUR APP NAME}.app"
    7. Codesign via the Terminal: codesign -f --deep -s "3rd Party Mac Developer Application: {YOUR COMPANY NAME}" --entitlements "{YOUR APP NAME}.entitlements" "{YOUR APP NAME}.app"
    8. Create an installer package: productbuild --component "{YOUR APP NAME}.app" /Applications --sign "3rd Party Mac Developer Installer: {YOUR COMPANY NAME}" "{YOUR APP NAME}.pkg"
    9. Upload with Application Loader.
    Guides
    Best: Unity—Deploy on the Mac Store

Second best: Submit Unity 3D Game to Mac App Store

Make a DMG for non-App Store distribution (Itch, Humble, GOG)

Tools
    Signed (Unity asset; purchased)

FromUnityToMacAppStore (shell script)

Link to App Store Listing
    http://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...d-mt-12-in-itunes-preview-and-mac-app-store-p

https://developer.apple.com/library/content/qa/qa1633/_index.html

Distribute Outside Mac App Store
    Must codesign app with a Developer ID certificate, otherwise Gatekeeper will throw an error on Gatekeeper-enabled Macs. macOS Sierra made this more important, as the option to run non-signed apps is hidden from the user (need to right-click the app and choose "Open"). Simplest way to sign is via the Terminal. Signing should be the very last step. Swapping out icon or plist files inside the app bundle after signing will cause Gatkeeper to prevent the app from being run.

Apple's guide to codesigning

12. Muckel

Muckel

many thx BrainAndBrain!!!!
    The Unity guy's are not able to help here... so many many thx for the guide!!!
    ... btw. something is changing @ Unity HQ... don't know what... but Mac support is far from ideal....
    was much much better year's ago... also the forum... so many unanswered questions... duhhh
    best is there are not much forum mod's... i only know one from long time ago.-.. the others are gone because... you know...
    M.

MrEsquire likes this.
  13. BrainAndBrain

BrainAndBrain

@Muckel: Glad to be of service! Though it would be even better if we could get some more 'official' support for the Mac App Store.

14. mattSydney

mattSydney

Ha its not too stupid. I just bought the tool and there is no instructions at all. Which means you have contact the developer!

15. bdovaz

bdovaz

Xander-Davis likes this.
  16. maubar

maubar

thanks for all
    question , is there a link to up to date : unity 2 MAC app sotre for jul 2017 please ?

17. fla-rar

fla-rar

any idea on this ?
    :

Attached Files:

18. BrainAndBrain

BrainAndBrain

@fla-rar: You're missing an entitlements file. It should be called "com.studioname.appname.entitlements" and contain the following:

Code (CSharp):
    1. <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    2. <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    3. <plist version="1.0">
    4.     <dict>
    5.         <key>com.apple.security.app-sandbox</key> <true/>
    6.     </dict>
    7. </plist>
    Then sign as I indicated in my guide above. Good luck!

19. fla-rar

fla-rar

thanks so much ... reallythanks .... fix it ...
    now i got a last problem
    submiting
    error h 2b.jpg

ihave 3weeks trying with submit.....
    please any idea ?

Even if I have to pay ....but ineed to submit this educational app
    or some company online to give my app to mac using my account please ?
    any idea please ?

PD: i erase everything certificates ..... and profiles and try over and overagain
    i bought this asset too ..... here
    but always thos errors ... entitlemnts and provision profile

UPDATE :entitlments .... fixed

please inbox

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  20. Mauri

Mauri

No one can send you PMs, because you have your inbox deactivated. You can change this here.
    Regarding the error, this and this guide might be helpful.

21. GhulamJewel

GhulamJewel

What is the latest updated guide. Apple and their convoluted processes sheesh.....Uploading to the mac app store because why not? But it is so much hassle.

22. User340

User340

Uploading to the Mac App Store is extra work plus you only get 70% of the revenue.

23. GhulamJewel

GhulamJewel

That is with other platforms aswell. I will try the guides posted here and the official unity one and try make sense of it all. I already paid for the developer fee to upload ios games so thought why not make full use of it and upload the mac version too! :)

24. UNSH

UNSH

We’ve written an automated workflow / guide to prepare distribution for OSX (from start to finish) in and outside of the Appstore. Based on all the guides & bits ‘n pieces we could find on threads like these. Together with an extensive full guide that’s ( hopefully) accessible for beginners & useful for people who are troubleshooting. We also included DIY if the scripts scare you :)

If anyone wants to become a collaborator please PM me even if its to update the documentation page. Obviously there are not a lot of people developing for OSX but with a bit of help it could be a place to find all info needed on this enigma. We’ve incorporated everything we could find, but for sure there are still many troubleshooting pieces missing.

Also we wrote the words, but rather like a compilation, credit for all the ground work goes to threads/people described in the credits in the readme.

You can read the full text guide with DIY here and get the git here.

You can find the Unity forum thread here.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    Xander-Davis and greay like this.
  25. josemauriciob

josemauriciob

This post was in 2018 .... does it still work in 2020?
    Any suggestions before I start?
    any comments are always welcome !!!

26. UNSH

UNSH

Not sure we have moved to Unity 2019 with Xcode, most will be the same so the docs will help but there will have been changes for sure so can't make promises.

27. fla-rar

fla-rar

thanks a lot... really
    is there a tutorial for UNITY 2019 to do with Xcode 10.1 using on High Sierra Please ?
    or any comment where to start using High sierra please ?
    i will apreciate thsi so much really !
    please