Search Unity

Where is unity private build of the Mixed Reality Technical Preview (MRTP)

Discussion in 'VR' started by NeilLee, Jun 1, 2017.

1. NeilLee

NeilLee

2. unity_andrewc

unity_andrewc

Unity Technologies

Hi NeilLee - sorry for the delayed response.

Microsoft is the key-holder for access to MRTP builds. They recently updated the documentation in the link you posted to say that you should work with a Microsoft account manager to try to get access.

However, support for Windows Mixed Reality has been migrating out of the preview branch used for those builds - you should be able to get betas of 2017.2 when they start coming out so you can work on apps for your immersive headset with Windows Mixed Reality. Be forewarned that the earlier the beta, the more likely you may run into bugs, but we appreciate any help we can get from you with filing bugs you run into!

3. pero58

pero58

Does anyone know how to get access to MRTP builds with Microsoft account manager?

4. penrose_stanley

penrose_stanley

Apparently, getting access to the MRTP builds is going to take a while so I was wondering if it's possible to use 5.6 or 2017.1 beta for Windows Mixed Reality development?

Thanks

5. unity_andrewc

unity_andrewc

Unity Technologies

Windows Mixed Reality support for VR HMDs is landing in early 2017.2 betas. 5.6 and 2017.1 aren't supported.

Barkers-Crest likes this.
  6. pero58

pero58

Hod do you get access?
    thanks

7. penrose_stanley

penrose_stanley

Is there an ETA on the 2017.2 beta? I'm actually able to get Windows Mixed Reality running on 5.6, but, unsurprisingly, it's very finicky.

8. unity_andrewc

unity_andrewc

Unity Technologies

@pero58: I'm afraid I don't have a good answer for that. All I know is what it says on the website: "you'll need to acquire a private build of the Mixed Reality Technical Preview (MRTP) by working with your Microsoft account manager." I don't know what you would need to do if you're not already in contact with one, or how you would get one. I would suggest poking around the Microsoft forums and seeing if you can find anything there.

@penrose_stanley: I'm not in the know about the public release of a 2017.2 beta, but I think it should be pretty soon.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help to either of you on this front.

9. ibrews

ibrews

Heyo! I was following this thread all day yesterday, then lo and behold look what just appeared on https://unity3d.com/unity/beta The first 2017.2 beta release! Let's get cracking.

10. ibrews

ibrews

11. unity_andrewc

unity_andrewc

Unity Technologies

Have fun! I just wanted to make sure I pointed out a known issue posted in the release notes relevant to this platform:
    • XR: New API surface for recent UnityEngine.VR.WSA.Input changes has forthcoming breaking changes to land in another beta soon.
    QA is currently hammering on said breaking changes, and we hope to have them out to you soon.

12. unity_andrewc

unity_andrewc

Unity Technologies

@ibrews: That beta should definitely have working Play mode in the editor for supported Windows Mixed Reality HMDs. Would you mind filing a bug on that for me? It'd be useful to get machine specs out of, if nothing else.

13. ibrews

ibrews

14. ibrews

ibrews

15. unity_andrewc

unity_andrewc

Unity Technologies

@ibrews: It looks like you didn't switch to UWP - the bug report says you have support for Windows standalone enabled (weird and confusing that there's this difference, I know).

If you bring up the Build Settings window (Ctrl+Shift+B, or under the File menu), you need to select the "Windows Store" platform and click "Switch Platform". Then, click "Player Settings..." and make sure that support is enabled for Windows Mixed Reality.

Also, your bug report says this is a crash? The editor definitely shouldn't be crashing just because you're trying to use a headset that doesn't match what platform you enabled XR for. Please let me know whether it's a crash or if it just renders black - either way, it sounds like something we should fix, or at least emit a warning for so you have some clue as to what's going on.

Let me know how it goes!

16. ibrews

ibrews

@unity_andrewc very strange! I don't believe much of that is accurate. In the new Unity beta, there's a platform called 'Universal Windows Platform' and there is no longer a 'Windows Store' platform. I definitely had and have UWP enabled and Windows Mixed Reality set up in Player Settings/ XR Settings.

upload_2017-7-6_15-51-47.png

And no the Editor isn't crashing, the Acer headset is. Everything in the Editor behaves as it would if I had a Rift or Vive plugged in. But in the headset it fades to black, blinks, then fades to blue, then goes through the headset setup process again, then re-enters the 'home' mode. Seems like a crash to me.

17. unity_andrewc

unity_andrewc

Unity Technologies

@ibrews: My bad, I was just working in some 5.6 code and forgot that the "Windows Store" was changed to "Universal Windows Platform" at some point.

But you're sure that in Player Settings, it's Windows Mixed Reality that's enabled? Either way, it's rather odd that the bug report says you have Windows Standalone enabled instead of UWP...

18. ibrews

ibrews

Yeah I'm certain:
    upload_2017-7-6_16-58-54.png

Very strange about the bug report. Any chance there's a bug with the bug reporting ;) ?

19. unity_andrewc

unity_andrewc

Unity Technologies

It seems there has to be a bug with something there, I just have no idea whether it would be the bug reporter or the settings themselves that are being reported.

I do have one more thing to ask you to test out, though: can you disable the "Vuforia AR" toggle and try again? I haven't messed around with that option recently, and there might be a bug with trying to use that with Windows Mixed Reality on desktop. (You might need to restart your machine first, QA has been telling me that they occasionally have to either do that or kill DWM when the Acer headset - or the code supporting it - gets messed up.)

20. ibrews

ibrews

@unity_andrewc tried turning off Vuforia AR and killing DWM. Same results. Hm! Should I reach out to Microsoft or Acer as well?

21. ibrews

ibrews

Also I wanted to see if there was any change if I tried to run the built version of the app, but the built result doesn't seem to have an executable. How do I run it?

22. unity_andrewc

unity_andrewc

Unity Technologies

No, I don't think reaching out directly to Microsoft or Acer would have much success. I just tried opening your project again, and each time I open it up from a fresh download of your repro project, it thinks it was set to Windows Standalone instead of UWP.

I've been trying to play around with fresh projects on the same install of Unity that you downloaded, and I'm getting some strange results that I think will require some further investigation on our side. Rendering to the headset in play mode (which I wrote, and I know worked a week or so before b2 was cut) and ability to actually generate a solution are inconsistent between my machines: one of them is on the Creators Update of Windows 10, and the other is on the Insider preview builds. I was hoping that maybe this was just another bug with spaces appearing in the project name or something again, but no such luck - recreating the project without spaces in the project name doesn't seem to do anything.

But I'm unable to recreate this issue I'm seeing with your project thinking (on my end, at least) that it's targeting Windows Standalone instead of UWP, as this would at least explain both why it fails miserably at rendering in-editor to the headset on every attempt and why you can't generate a build that has any hope of working. The only thing I can think of suggesting shy of taking a gamble and updating your OS to Insider Preview would be to try recreating your project. Before you do anything else, go to the build settings in your fresh project, switch to UWP, enable XR, remove Vuforia from the list, and ensure the toggle for it is disabled. Then, close Unity, reopen the project, and double-check that the build settings are still the same. From there, just try playing in editor again and see what happens, assuming that the project settings are preserved for targeting UWP and Windows Mixed Reality.

Also, is the Mixed Reality Portal running and rendering to the headset before you start trying to play in-editor?

Sorry for this blocking issue. I appreciate you working through it with me.

23. ibrews

ibrews

thanks for continuing the conversation @unity_andrewc

1) new project, followed your steps in order, and it's working! No headset crash-- fades to black then I see inside Unity. Weird... went back to my previous project and that one still isn't working despite settings being identical (as far as I can tell).
    2) I'm currently using Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview Build 16232.rs_prerelease.170624-1334
    3) yes everything is running in the headset with the mixed reality portal before I press play

24. ibrews

ibrews

Oh man so weird. Okay now I went back to the new project I made and it's crashing again.

25. ibrews

ibrews

Just tried to create new project from scratch, same steps as before, and this time the headset fades to black and doesn't crash, but then it stays black and I can't even get back to the home screen, even if I exit Unity entirely.

26. unity_andrewc

unity_andrewc

Unity Technologies

We sometimes have to restart our machines (or supposedly just kill Mixed Reality Portal and DWM as a shortcut) to get the headsets to respond and render. This stuff does rely on early flights of Windows updates, so it's bound to be unstable here and there, unfortunately. We'll definitely investigate on our end, but for now, and based on the information you've shared, my only suggestion is to restart your machine, make another fresh project and make sure the HMD works in-editor again, and just try to keep using that project - if it stops working again after this, reboot your machine again, and hopefully the same project will continue to work.

27. ibrews

ibrews

gotcha! thanks very much

28. ibrews

ibrews

29. ibrews

ibrews

Yep! Using the beta on a new computer now and it works very smoothly.

30. unity_andrewc

unity_andrewc

Unity Technologies

Happy to hear!

31. joshyates1980

joshyates1980

I'm new to Unity IDE and very impressed so far by completing some tutorials.

The author of this article mention permission from Microsoft Account Manager? I installed Unity 2017.1.0f3 (64-bit). I have the Acer Headset and aim to develop mixed reality apps. Am I good to go with the Unity version I have installed?

32. unity_andrewc

unity_andrewc

Unity Technologies

The mention of permission from a Microsoft Account Manager is for the technical preview where we were initially standing up Windows Mixed Reality's VR HMDs but weren't able to get the feature to mainline on that version - what you want is 2017.2, as no non-preview version of Unity has any support for those HMDs. It's currently in beta.

joshyates1980 likes this.
  33. MythicalCity

MythicalCity

I'm having some trouble getting Unity 2017.2 to work with my Acer headset. I have installed beta 5, and followed all of the steps of the "install the tools" page on Microsoft. The computer is updated to the latest "fast" insider preview and I have the insider SDK installed as well. The headset runs fine in the MR portal app (the cliff house) but when I start Unity with the headset plugged in the editor is blank (all white) I can select the menus but all of the windows (hierarchy, project, game, scene, etc..) are not visible. If I select Play from the menu the headset just restarts the MR portal app and doesn't render the unity project.

I have unity setup for the windows universal platform and virtual reality checked (with the mixed reality SDK selected in player settings).

If I try to run Unity without the headset plugged in I get all of the windows in the editor and can use Unity just fine by itself. As soon as I plug in the headset all of the UI in the editor freezes but I can still quit the editor.

34. Unity_Wesley

Unity_Wesley

Unity Technologies

Do you know what build of the RS3 OS you are using?

35. MythicalCity

MythicalCity

What is RS3 OS?

36. Unity_Wesley

Unity_Wesley

Unity Technologies

Sorry RS3 == Red Stone 3, it refers to to the release cycle of the Windows 10 OS. I think in order to get RS3 you need to be on Windows Insider, that is the current supported Mixed Reality OS. If you are on RS3 you should see a small OS number in the bottom right of your desktop screen.

37. MythicalCity

MythicalCity

I see, and how does one get this version? I signed up for the insider program and set my update settings to Fast (Active Development of Windows). My current version is 1703 build 15063.502

38. Unity_Wesley

Unity_Wesley

Unity Technologies

Did you update to RS2 the creative update, it doesn't appear your OS is up do date. My build is currently on Version 1703 OS build 16257.1, I would double check your windows insider settings

39. MythicalCity

MythicalCity

Ok finally got it working. Getting windows to update to this version was very difficult on our computer. But once we updated by using an ISO download from the windows insider website it updated and now Play mode works in Unity 2017.2 :) Thanks for your help pointing out we needed a different version. We now have build 16257 as well. Is single pass rendering supported yet for Mixed Reality?

40. Unity_Wesley

Unity_Wesley

Unity Technologies

Single Pass is supported for Windows MR

41. nicoda70

nicoda70

Hi.... My develop MR environment is like this:
    1. Windows 10 Home Insider Preview build 16275.rs3_release
    2. Version 1703
    3. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 / driver version 22.21.13.8541(385.41)
    4. Unity 3d 2017.2.0b8 version
    5. Porting setting is done as instruction.
    (Building setting - Universal Windows Platform-switch platform- any device- d3d- latest installed -local machine
    - unity c# project
    player setting - .net(script backend) -virtual reality support)

My problem with my HP headset : When I press Play in Unity, my headset goes black, but I can see work well in unity play mode game screen when I controlled gaze in mixed reality portal.

What shall I do ?

42. nicoda70

nicoda70

I solved this problem by changing the settings of NVIDIA 3D settings.

43. nicoda70

nicoda70

With the lecture of Mixed reality 250(chapter 1 holo world), I met those 3 messages!
    I guess that those messages seems to have happened because I have no Unity Mixed Reality Technical Preview (MRTP), and there's no MRTP for 2017.2.0b8..... What should I do?

1. Windows 10 Home Insider Preview build 16275.rs3_release
    2. Version 1703
    3. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 / driver version 22.21.13.8541(385.41)
    4. Unity 3d 2017.2.0b8 version
    5. Porting setting is done as instruction.

1. KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary. System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.String,System.String].get_Item (System.String key) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections.Generic/Dictionary.cs:150) MetroCSharpVisualStudioSolutionCreator.WriteSolutionFile (System.String solutionFileName, UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.ScriptAssembly[] csharpAssemblies) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/PlatformDependent/MetroPlayer/Extensions/Managed/MetroCSharpVisualStudioSolutionCreator.cs:166) MetroCSharpVisualStudioSolutionCreator.CreateSolutionFileFrom () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/PlatformDependent/MetroPlayer/Extensions/Managed/MetroCSharpVisualStudioSolutionCreator.cs:722) PostProcessWSA.CreateVisualStudioSolution () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/PlatformDependent/MetroPlayer/Extensions/Managed/PostProcessWSA.cs:320) PostProcessWinRT.Process () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/PlatformDependent/WinRT/SharedSources/CSharp/PostProcessWinRT.cs:237) UnityEditor.WSA.BuildPostprocessor.DoPostProcess (BuildPostProcessArgs args) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/PlatformDependent/MetroPlayer/Extensions/Managed/ExtensionModule.cs:142) UnityEditor.WSA.BuildPostprocessor.PostProcess (BuildPostProcessArgs args) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/PlatformDependent/MetroPlayer/Extensions/Managed/ExtensionModule.cs:149) UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr) 2. Build completed with a result of 'Failed' UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr) 3.UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow+BuildMethodException: 2 errors at UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow+DefaultBuildMethods.BuildPlayer (BuildPlayerOptions options) [0x00207] in C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Mono\BuildPlayerWindowBuildMethods.cs:172 at UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow.CallBuildMethods (Boolean askForBuildLocation, BuildOptions defaultBuildOptions) [0x00050] in C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Mono\BuildPlayerWindowBuildMethods.cs:83 UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

44. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

^ Uncheck Unity C# projects checkbox in the build window. It is currently a known issue that we're working on resolving.

nicoda70 likes this.
  45. nicoda70

nicoda70

AH!!!!!!! I appreciate your help!!! I love you!!!!!!!!!

46. jessechunn

jessechunn

Would someone please either point me to a link that has a VERY straightforward, step-by-step process from opening unity to running in a Windows MR (Lenovo in my case) headset, or post that process here? I have seen lots of tidbits here and there, but no direct "do this, then do that, then do this, then you will be viewing your scene in the headset"....? Just looking at a cube would be enough. Thanks in advance.

47. SimonDarksideJ

SimonDarksideJ

Hi @jessechunn for it to simply work, just:
    1. Switch Platform to UWP
    2. Open player settings (for UWP)
    3. In the XR setting, ensure VR mode is enabled for Mixed Reality.
    Or simply download / import the current version of the MRTK (https://github.com/Microsoft/MixedRealityToolkit-Unity) and use the "Apply Project settings" option from the Menu (new menu added by MRTK)

48. jessechunn

jessechunn

Thank you sir.