Search Unity

Where is recommended to learn?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Brian-Washechek, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Brian-Washechek

Brian-Washechek

I'm looking to learn Unity. I've tried many areas online, but I decided if I quit looking myself and just asked a forum, I might have better luck. That being said, where does this forum recommend for a starter (but not really a starter) like me to learn? I'm currently following the Brackeys tutorial: how to make a 2d game. I want to get the old game programmer Brian back on his feet. I'm very into 2d game production.
    or is something else recommended?

2. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

There's a "Learn" link at the top of the page here with official learning material from Unity. Start there. I think it could be improved, but it's not a bad place to start, and it'll help you avoid the minefield that is asking about game development on the Internet (many people don't know what they're talking about, and you won't be able to tell the difference between good advice and bad until you don't need it any more).

Next, you mentioned programming. Learning programming, learning game development, and learning Unity as a toolset are overlapping but largely separate pursuits. So, while The C# Yellow Book by Rob Miles is not Unity specific, it's a great resource for starting to learn programming properly, and it's way better than any game-specific programming tutes I've seen online.

Kiwasi likes this.
  3. Brian-Washechek

Brian-Washechek

I've heard somewhere online: "many people don't know what they're talking about". How do I know I can trust your words?

The "learn" link plus http://www.csharpcourse.com/ is your final suggestion, then? Where should I start first? Do you advise I just call it quits on Brackeys?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  4. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

You don't. You asked for advice and you got some, where you go from there is up to you.

I don't know anything about "Brackeys" so I can't give advice one way or the other. Are you learning from it? Is it increasing your understanding of how to make games?

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  5. Player7

Player7

from that link you posted, you're following a 2d brackeys tutorial that is like 5years old and going through javascript in unity 4.3.... perhaps follow some more upto date tutorials released in the last 2-3years on unity 5.x and save yourself a few newbie pitfalls trying to figure out why something S*** ain't working.brackets still has newer tutorials find a newer playlist series to follow.

and yeh the unity learn tab has stuff I guess.

6. Brian-Washechek

Brian-Washechek

I knew it was old, but not that old.

7. Brian-Washechek

Brian-Washechek

8. Brian-Washechek

Brian-Washechek

The Space Shooter tutorial allows you to build a game that's kinda like a game I programmed a very-very-very-very-very-very long time ago. The backup for the game was lost by an ex-best friend (who doesn't want his name mentioned when I speak of it) when I was in a car wreck and then understandably lost my copy of the code I wrote... He failed as a backup. He blames my mom for the absence of the backup of my code. He does this so his sissy-pants still it. It's a good idea not to get me started talking about that...

9. Player7

Player7

10. Brian-Washechek

Brian-Washechek

I'm thinking the Space Shooter tutorial is where I'll start, tomorrow. Tonight I'll start Disgaea 5. Is that a good plan?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  11. r06ue

r06ue

I thought the space shooter was a very good first-tutorial. It'll give you a good, but reasonably short, list of current unity features, along with a dip into several c# scripts/classes. I've now jumped from those tutorials to more of the mixed reality lessons (now that it all works in v.2017.2b)

12. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Definitely the learn section. I recommend just starting with the scripting tutorials. But the complete projects is also not a bad place to start.

13. Brian-Washechek

Brian-Washechek

Space-shooter it is then.

In time, though.

Is it cool if I do the rolling zombies project first? Is that where you recommend I start my re-learing?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017