Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

where is 360 video in this demo?

Discussion in '5.6 Beta' started by PiroKun, Dec 16, 2016.

1. PiroKun

PiroKun

the 360 video playback promised for 5.6 is done with the new video player or is another gameObject not included in this demo?

2. DominiqueLrx

DominiqueLrx

Unity Technologies

Hi PiroKun!

The demo you saw were using the VideoPlayer that you see in 5.6b1. The 360 projection is done "manually" using a sphere and a shader that inverts normals so you can project the video inside the sphere. I'll make sure we share a demo project so people don't have to look around for the right steps.

What 5.6 brings is a hardware-assisted video player using a simpler workflow and more modern codecs than what we have with MovieTexture.

Future releases will make this process less involved.

Dominique

3. cmcooper

cmcooper

Are the demo files up yet? Not sure how to create a 'shader that inverts normals'

4. PiroKun

PiroKun

Thanks! I just use my old custom sphere with inverted normals and works good in windows (local and stream), but crash on android. So... in b9 isn´t supported android yet?

5. DominiqueLrx

DominiqueLrx

Unity Technologies

Hi PiroKun!

Android has been supported for a long time, but has numerous bugs that make it work in just a few limited scenarios.

For pre-beta-10 versions, make sure you use clips that don't have audio. Also, depending on the clip you use (with or without transcoding), the clip may simply not start if it was transcoded with the Windows editor (works fine when transcoded from the OSX editor, though).

So if you use a clip without audio and without transcoding on Windows, you should be fine.

But beta 10 should be much more stable so if you can wait for this version you'll have a better experience.

Thanks for your patience!

Dominique
    A/V developer at Unity

6. PiroKun

PiroKun

Thank you for the information :)

7. msheils

msheils

Any word on the demo project for setting up a basic 360 video project in Unity using the new video player in the 5.6 beta that supports 4K resolution? I have walked through multiple tutorials and picked up on the basics of Unity in general, but can't seem to get it to display in game view. Being from a 360 video production background, I really look forward to integrating high res 360 video in interactive projects. Looking for the simplest new standard for implementing high resolution 360 video playback in Unity.

Thanks for any tips or links pointing me in the right direction. Happy to share footage for testing in your own projects if anyone is interested.

Joel_Dittrich likes this.
  8. Joel_Dittrich

Joel_Dittrich

Any tutorial up yet

vladimir-skoupy likes this.