Search Unity

What types of rigging (from Modo) are supported when importing to Unity?

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by kritoa, Jul 20, 2017.

1. kritoa

kritoa

I'm a little new to rigging in Modo, so I don't know which issues I'm having are because I am trying to do something unsupported by the pipeline and which are because I don't understand Modo rigging. I'm in Unity 5.6 and Modo Indie 10.

I have a robot hand (no soft deformations, only rigid) I'm trying to rig in Modo and import into Unity. I want the skeleton/bones to be animatable in Unity, so not just exporting canned animation loops.

If I separate all the individual parts (indexbase, indexmid, indextip, middlebase, middlemid, middletip, hand, wrist, etc.) into separate meshes and parent them under the bones and export/import, that works (since it just comes in as a big GameObject hierarchy).

If I separate all the moving parts into separate meshes and move them with Item Influencers (using bone as effector and mesh items as geometry) and export, that also works in Unity.

If I try to keep all the moving parts in the same mesh and make Weight Containers with finger part vertices in them and make a General Influencer and try to move the fingers with the bones as effectors, that work in Modo but doesn't work at all in Unity (when I rotated the bones the parts geometry wouldn't follow).

When I tried making a single index finger deformer and making a vertex weight map and used a General Influencer to move that weight map with the bone, that didn't work in Unity either - the bone would move the mesh, but not pay attention to the weight map - so wiggling that index finger bone would rotate the entire hand (even though it worked properly in Modo).

For some reason, if I use the default "bind" command in Modo, which looks like it makes a whole bunch of transform deformers underneath a normalizing folder, that does work in Unity.

And it seems none of the other deformers I tried work at all (bend, lattice, etc.) unless I am hooking them up in the schematic incorrectly...

Can somebody help me figure out 1) what should be working (like is it correct that only transform deformers under a normalizing folder or static mesh transforms via hierarchy or item influencers should work and everything else is not supposed to), and 2) if I'm perhaps doing something incorrectly (like, maybe I futzed up my weight containers or weight maps and influencer hookups because to be honest I find the schematic view and rigging in Modo in general kind of confusing.

What is the normal rigging workflow? Just bones + "Bind" + addition weighting under the normalizing folder?