Search Unity

What shaders would you guys want?

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by tatoforever, Aug 28, 2012.

1. tatoforever

tatoforever

@Darkmonk,
    I'm not the author of that shader but I can give it a go if needed. Can you please post more information about the surface you are using it? Like the mesh in wireframe, texture, etc. Remember this is a vertex blending. If you need more precise controls, you may wanna go with an RGBA mask instead of vertex-based colors for blending.

[EDIT]
    Looks like Daniel found it. If still not working reply to my post. :)

2. Darkmonk

Darkmonk

AWESOME, That fixed it :D

Thank you so much guys this is exactly what i was after.
    also want to say thanks for the offer tatoforever but its ok as its working now :)

going to give it a good test on one of my models that is already set up just for a proper final test though.
    thanks
    john

3. tatoforever

tatoforever

Glad it helped! :)

4. Darkmonk

Darkmonk

im back lol.

That last shader is working well although now i have found out something i did not think to specify at the start sorry :(
    There is a problem when i try to change the tiling parameter of the indavidual textures, If i change the Black tiling parameter then all the textures tile and when i change the red,green and blue tiling parameters nothing happens :( I had wanted to be able to tile them independently of each other if possible.
    is it possible to have them tile independently of each other with this setup ??

5. Daniel_Brauer

Daniel_Brauer

Unity Technologies

You'll need to add uv fields to your Input struct for the textures other than _MainTex (line 21). Then change the tex2D() calls for those textures (lines 27-29) to use those UVs instead of uv_MainTex.

6. Darkmonk

Darkmonk

Thanks once again dude, your a star :) got it working perfectly now
    you make it seem so easy lol, i need to start learning some basic shader code so i can recognise how to fix these little issues.

thanks

7. 747823

Don't have unity pro yet. Still experimenting to see if unity is suitable for my purposes.

8. Breyer

Breyer

ripple effect request? or/and splash water effect similar effect when very heavy items throw into water

and i have ask - your custom shadowmap work with free vesion unity tatoforever ? ;)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  9. tatoforever

tatoforever

I'll try to extend the current Unity water shaders and add the ripple effect. Gimme few days, I have a hellish amount of work to do in my job (finish our game). ^^

My shadowmapping wont work in the free version as it needs RTs which is only for the Pro version. But I'm working out a nice planar shadows with stencil filtering to give ultra fast realistic and detailed shadows both for the free and pro version of Unity. Coming soon! :D

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  10. Darkmonk

Darkmonk

hi all,
    have another little shader request, I would love to have a shader that allows me to paint a dirtmap over my main diffuse texture based on the vertex alpha that ive painted onto my model, but i would like the other colour channels to be kept for vertex colours if that makes sense.

ill try and clarify exactly what im after.
    1.Vertex colour information
    2.Diffuse texture slot
    3.Dirt texture slot (this texture will be multiplied over the diffuse vertex colours and only visible where i have painted some vertex alpha)
    if i paint only 50% alpha i would expect the dirt to only be 50% as strong

Will a shader like this work with the beast lightmap or do you need to add something extra to get it to work ? if so it would need it to work with beast as well please.

any assistance with this shader would be awesome,
    thanks
    john

11. Lyker

Lyker

Any luck you might find time to create such thing? It would really help me and my team out, since none of us knows shading. :p
    If you were to spend time on this and you need more info, tell me. :)

12. Sahkan

Sahkan

Fur/hair shader like they advertise in unity4's videos and dont put it in the assets :S

13. 747823

14. tatoforever

tatoforever

If i got it right, you need to show vertex colors? May I ask why (just curious)?
    Plus diffuse texture and use the alpha channel (of your vertex color) to show a dirt map?
    I'm giving it a go.
    PS: Yes, it would be compatible with lights, cast shadows and lightmaps.

15. tatoforever

tatoforever

@Darkmonk,
    The vertex rgb colors are being blended with the main diffuse colors and vertex alpha defines where the dirt appears. Also, I've added two opacity factors for each textures and a global color for better flexibility/outputs.
    I've made a blind guess for the vertex color as i don't have any mesh with vertex color data to try out, so let me know if it works for you.
    PS: I would like to see some results on your part (keeps us motivated to work free for the community). :rolleyes:
    [EDIT] See my next post with the updated shader.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  16. mrmadprofessor

mrmadprofessor

17. Darkmonk

Darkmonk

Hi Tatoforever,
    sorry for the dely in my reply but i was not on my computer much over the weekend so only got a chance to test it this morning.
    I think my description was not very good :( I do not need to see the vertex colours on there own i just need them multiplied into the diffuse texture and then have the dirt texture multiplied onto of the combined vertex colour and diffuse only in the areas where i paint vertex alpha onto my model.
    I have made a couple of images and also created what i want in strumpy shader editor as an example although with the strumpy shaders i cant get them to work with the beast lightmaps and im not sure how efficient stumpy shaders are so i only use strumpy for example shaders.

attached is a basic scene with an example object and texture to show the rough idea of what i need it to do, ive also included an image of the strumpy graph so you can see what i did.

Hope this helps.

Yeah ill post any cool images of work ive done that use these shaders as i do really apprieciate the help from you guys to make these shaders for free :D

$DirtBlendShader.jpg View attachment $DirtBlendScene.unitypackage

18. tatoforever

tatoforever

Alright, I'll give it a go.

19. tatoforever

tatoforever

20. Darkmonk

Darkmonk

Dude, your a star this is exactly what i was after :)
    Thank you and ill try and post some images of how i use it once i get some levels built using it :D

21. tatoforever

tatoforever

Looking forward to your images! ;)

22. Phantomx

Phantomx

Hey,

I'd like to have an Unlit Shader with a blurred outline. It's kind of like the shader in Highlight System but not visible behind other object and not affected by lights. For properties it would be nice to have MainTex, Range and Outline Color!

Thank you so much if you can do this!! :D

23. tatoforever

tatoforever

Such effect can't be done in a single shader. It's an entire post-effect and requires Unity Pro because of the use of RTs. :rolleyes:
    HighlightSystem doesn't do any sort of lighting, it just write to the depth buffer (selectively) and blur it out in an extra pass.
    Re-writing such system myself will take lot of time, if you can buy it i can modify it and customize it to your needs. ;)

24. Phantomx

Phantomx

Hey, thanks for the reply! I already bought it and I think I can modify it myself to achieve what I was talking about, but I find it kind of a big system only to do that. That's why I asked you to make it in a shader, but looks it can't be done that way :(

Another question, what do you think about the strumpy generated shaders? do you think it's good enough to use as a final shader in a game or should it be rewritten clean?

25. tatoforever

tatoforever

Yeah, post-process effects that requires that uses/does depth stuff, RTs, etc are in most part a little big. Most of the time they have multiple shaders and scripts. But still, I can give it a look (send them privatelly) and I'll make the changes for your needs.

As for the Strumpy Shader Editor: It's a bit outdated (last version dates back of March 24th 2011). Though I don't work with but have taken a look at what it generates and it add lots of unneeded stuff to the shader. Shaders needs to be cleaned a bit. I can't tell you if you can used for final production products but at least prototype stuff should be fine i guess.
    I write such effects by hand (in Cg programs or CgFX shader language) maybe someone with real experience of the strumpy editor will answer that question better than myself. Perhaps Tim (strumpy shader editor's author) is near and can help you with that question? :rolleyes:

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  26. duke

duke

HBAO!

27. ibyte

ibyte

Hi is it possible using a shader to convert a texture that looks like this

and make it look like this

28. 747823

Yes. Sample the texture from a few different points around the current one and if the range of colors is significantly different, make it black. Otherwise make it white.

29. tatoforever

tatoforever

As 747823 said, this is relatively easy to make. :rolleyes:

30. Breyer

Breyer

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/70585-Skydome-for-unity3D-3-x

hi again

u can improve realistic this day/night scattering shader when u have free time? (version 2.1 and request for improve sunset and sunshine quality majority) if no i think i realse improved this package (majority enh is change&simplify code c#) soon

i will added random cloud so u haven't to improve cloud

Last edited: May 4, 2013
  31. tatoforever

tatoforever

I don't see any problem with this package, I've adjusted few things in the scene to make it working fine.
    Here: http://www.fileconvoy.com/dfl.php?id=gcaa93731e4a9abfd999280445815d0966877ae47a

32. ibyte

ibyte

747823 and tatoforever, thanks for the giving me some hope.

I have not attempted any shader coding before. I did find a binary shader in the wiki - but it will not run on Unity 4 so I cannot tell if it will do the job or could be used as a starting point.

http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php/Binary

Any takers on porting that up to Unity 4 or writing something from scratch?

Thanks

iByte

33. tatoforever

tatoforever

Hello iByte,
    I'm giving a look at the shader you've want it to work on Unity4. Do you need lighting calculation on it?

34. ibyte

ibyte

Hi tatoforever,
    My first inclination would be to say no (not for the images I am initially going to be supplying ) ... but after watching the utube video it looks like lighting support might give better results in some cases, If I was to use the shader on a player supplied artwork/photo for example

Thanks

iByte.

35. tatoforever

tatoforever

Here: View attachment $binary.shader

Changes: Complete re-write of lighting functions, works with Unity 3.5/4.x
    If isn't much to ask I would like to see some results on your end with the shaders we provide. :rolleyes:

36. ibyte

ibyte

Hi, Tatoforever,

Here is a link to some samples. I have not tried any lighting yet other then a single directional light. Would it be possible to thicken the resulting lines?

$binary.PNG

37. tatoforever

tatoforever

Ok, tomorrow at the office I'll give it an other quick spin. Have you tried tweaking the properties? Btw it works with any sort of light (not just directional) and It's vertex based.

38. ibyte

ibyte

Hi tatoforver, I experimented with some of the settings and was able to get a heavier outline by doubling the modulus number. I think a small improvement would also be to change any white pixels to black if pixels on both sides of the white pixel were black?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2238318/Unity/SavedScreen 1.png

One other request, for a final pass can all the white pixels be made transparent?

Thank you very much for the work you have put in so far!

iByte

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  39. tatoforever

tatoforever

The second pass is when there's no light affecting that mesh (otherwise the mesh will look entirelly black). But I can make a secondary version with transparent pixels on the white colors (color1) in the second pass. Is that what you want?

40. ibyte

ibyte

41. sgoodrow

sgoodrow

tatoforever,

I was wondering if you could show us how to create a transparent shader which renders the depth of an object by subtracting the distance from the camera to its rear surfaces and the distance from the camera to its front surfaces? This would be a great starting point for a volume shader, however I just can't really figure out how to set up a Multi Pass/Replacement shader like this.

Any help would be really appreciated. I just need to get started so I can understand these kinds of shaders, then it opens a whole new world for me...

Thanks.

42. tatoforever

tatoforever

@ sgoodrow and the rest of guys requesting help:
    I was quite busy the last days but I'll take some time this weekend to answer and complete your requests!
    Sorry for the inconvenience!

PS: If you really need to poke me out for something ultra-urgent, please write me an email directly to:
    tatoforever [at] psychozinteractive [dot] com

43. 747823

Yeah I was wondering about / hoping for one like that too. :)

44. WalterEspinar

WalterEspinar

45. Kald

Kald

I was wondering, whether it's possible to make a shader that would generate on run a texture looking much like this:
    http://libnoise.sourceforge.net/tutorials/images/newheightmap.jpg
    from this tutorial:
    http://libnoise.sourceforge.net/tutorials/tutorial3.html
    I've got it working on CPU, but it's way too slow for my needs - so I was thinking about rewriting it for shaders, but, sadly, I know nothing about writing them ;)
    I'd be very grateful if you'd push me in the right direction of writing this, even if you could not find spare time to write it yourself.

46. landon912

landon912

Hey guys, I didn't read all the posts so forgive me if this was answered but -> was the water shader ever started/completed?

47. virror

virror

I have a quite simple request (i hope : p):
    A fast billboard shader that renders a specific texture as a billboard and with alpha blend?

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  48. tatoforever

tatoforever

Hey guys,
    I'm trying to get some free time this week (again) to workout your requests.
    Thanks for being patient. :rolleyes:

49. Rico21745

Rico21745

I'll throw this one out there and see if anyone has anything.

I'm looking for a shader which I can apply to a mesh, which will make the mesh into a volumetric fog zone.

The idea is to create foggy areas around the level.

50. Dolkar

Dolkar

I was actually thinking about doing this already, but I don't think it can be done with shaders alone...

The way this is done is that you first render the depthmap of everything plus the backface of your volume. In the next pass you then sample this depthmap to figure out how deep the fog is at that pixel.