Search Unity

What Is On (Secret) Sale?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Tinjaw, May 12, 2016.

1. Asset_Store_Deals

Asset_Store_Deals

2. Asset_Store_Deals

Asset_Store_Deals

3. Asset_Store_Deals

Asset_Store_Deals

4. hopeful

hopeful

twobob and Tinjaw like this.
  5. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

Traditional 50% Easter sale started at Mister Necturus Unity
    You are welcome!

Hope everyone will find there useful digital illusion for his project! :)
    Products which cost $5 or less was not discounted.

Easter_banner_17.jpg

6. hopeful

hopeful

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    TeagansDad, Hormic and chelnok like this.
  7. Obsurveyor

Obsurveyor

Looks like a pretty big Madness Sale starting today. Unannounced, so still "secret" :)

TeagansDad likes this.
  8. ikazrima

ikazrima

Yup I'm seeing soooooo many assets on sale, all of them 30% off. About 15 from my wishlist, and dozens and dozens of others.

9. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

I had 103 wishlist notifications this morning...

I see all of Kubold's animation packs on sale, most of PolyPixel's model packs, stuff from Finward Studios...

This has been an expensive morning. ;)

AlanOToole likes this.
  10. coverpage

coverpage

11. AlanOToole

AlanOToole

12. AlanOToole

AlanOToole

Haha I got a huge email showing me alllllll the things I wanted where all sale basically. That was a good start of the morning!

TeagansDad likes this.
  13. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

My bank account is going to be more empty today - and then... I need to deal with the wife finding out. o_O:D

14. Teila

Teila

15. lod3

lod3

Totally. I'm 5400/18K+ into the 3D models section, and it's not even close. This is basically an open sale. Authors were recently contacted, and all you had to do was sign up. I just wish there was a "sale" tag for easy filtering because all this clicking feels silly.

chelnok likes this.
  16. hopeful

hopeful

When I logged in UAS told me that 210 items from my wish list were on sale. ;)

TeagansDad likes this.
  17. mrdl2010

mrdl2010

Unity finally made a list. Btw i dont know that there is someone with 210 items on wish list.

TeagansDad likes this.
  18. hopeful

hopeful

Not everything in my list was on sale. Not by a long shot. It's a very extensive list. ;)

19. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

I am humbled before you.

hopeful likes this.
  20. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I had 284. lol. (Maybe it's time I clear out a lot of my Wish List items.) :D

hopeful and TeagansDad like this.
  21. Kondor0

Kondor0

Goddamn and I thought my wishlist numbers were insane. Anyway, I'm a bit low in funds for my current project so I'll have to be extra picky with this sale.

22. AGregori

AGregori

10% and 15% off is not a real sale, it's PR.

nixter likes this.
  23. Obsurveyor

Obsurveyor

Definitely don't have everything listed yet. Thinking maybe I'll hack together a Greasemonkey script and scrape them all.

24. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

The three I have in my cart are 30% off. That's a good deal for what they are.

25. Obsurveyor

Obsurveyor

Yeah, all 9 of the items in my cart are 30% off.

26. MJohnson24

MJohnson24

Well yes, as a publisher, I can help to answer. It was in fact an open sale that some were able to apply.. I have several of my assets on sale at 25% off (Aquarius Max). Along with probably dozens or a hundred of other publishers within certain same sale percentages...

I do say that this is an interesting "Madness Sale," and as they say "Biggest Sale Ever!"

hopeful likes this.
  27. MrIconic

MrIconic

I feel like the madness sales were bigger in the past but not on nearly as many items.

28. IFL

IFL

[EDIT] Updated list below...
    [EDIT2] Lists removed. :oops:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    chelnok, Teila and TeagansDad like this.
  29. MJohnson24

MJohnson24

Yeah it seems that this is the balance of the past. This time being an extremely huge asset store sale, but with less % off. The "Yin and Yang" of the asset store :)

30. Teila

Teila

Thank you!! Much easier than going through the entire model section.

31. mrdl2010

mrdl2010

Thanks. Will appreciate if someone do the same with the rest of the assets.
    Btw what are the good assets on sale. On my wishlist, Octave3d, obi cloth and ultimate game music.

32. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

All of Kubold's animation packs are 30% off.

Most of PolyPixel's environment models are 30% off.

Pixel Crushers' Dialogue System and Love/Hate are 30% off.

PuppetMaster is 30% off.

Behavior Designer is 20% off.

hopeful and mrdl2010 like this.
  33. Obsurveyor

Obsurveyor

I've noticed that the daily sales lately haven't usually been more than around 30% off since around the time they killed Level 11 too.

infinitypbr and hopeful like this.
  34. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

For a very long time, maybe a year, the sale % has been going down. I don't know of the specific reason, but from a publishers view (my own), large discounts aren't good. Too many people simply say "I'll wait for it to be on sale", expecting a huge discount. For some publishers, that's fine, but for those like me who are constantly spending my own time and money to produce more work, having people delay purchase hurts my ability to produce more.

In general, sale-culture is bad for stores. It feels good right away to get a big amount of sales and more income than a normal day, but in the long term, it tends to push down total sales.

The Asset Store (in my personal view), is an amazing asset (Ha!) for developers. Quality assets are worth their face value, and there really isn't any need for discounts simply 'just because'.

I'd much rather see value-added discounts like "buy these three at the same time and save", or flash sales based on my personal browsing history and wish list etc. Flash sales wouldn't be expected or guaranteed, and would be very limited.

flashframe, TonyLi, IFL and 2 others like this.
  35. IFL

IFL

Well... I'm removing this to cover myself. It was a large list that I had compiled, but I fear it might violate the EULA. I understand why the Asset Store team might not want a ton of official sales listed if it's part of a marketing campain to create exposure for items that aren't on sale. Sorry to anyone looking forward to the list(s), and sorry to the AS team if it messed up anything. Cheers

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  36. AGregori

AGregori

"For a very long time, maybe a year, the sale % has been going down. I don't know of the specific reason"

Well, I think the reason is that UT now has the clout and the revenues NOT to feel obliged to cater to indie devs with huge sales. It's understandable, but still 15-20% "madness sales" kind of infuriate me.... Because I remember when prices used to go down by 50-75%. :rolleyes:

hopeful and IFL like this.
  37. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

I would suggest you're wrong about this.

The Asset Store exists to make Unity better than it could be on it's own. The money attracts quality developers (And often some of questionable quality) who can produce things that quite often Unity would never have even thought of producing themselves.

The publishers need to make money. Some of us pay out of pocket to other artists, and need to cover those expenses at the least. And if we make a profit, we're far more likely to not only create new cool things, but to keep supporting what we make, ensuring a positive experience for everyone.

If we have to discount our stuff 50%+ just to make ends meet...well, that's a losing scenario. First because there are only so many "spots" each year for sales, so most packs will never ever be on sale. Second, it creates a race-to-the-bottom situation for prices.

For a very short while, that will be good for customers -- prices will be lower. However, as profit goes down, fewer publishers will remain and fewer new packages will be created. In the end, Unity users will suffer by simply not having access to assets that would otherwise have been created.

Large sales, it's well documented, are almost always a losing proposition for any store. It feels great right away, but long term it's a bad idea.

__

But it could also be simple perceptions. 10-30% doesn't sound so great if you're comparing it to 50% or more. But 30% is 3x the discount than 10%, and that's pretty cool when you compare those two numbers.

It probably doesn't help that so many publishers do "personal sales" (often hoping to get listed in this thread).

In the end, if I could sell 2.1x as many packages at 50% the price, I'd do it. But that won't happen (and I've tested it, because I really would do that if I could!)

Sales are bad long term. small sales could be OK...but the big giant 50% off sales...that's just insane, and creates a very toxic store environment.

38. AGregori

AGregori

@sfbaystudios, no prob, I absolutely understand. You're coming to this from an asset developer perspective, I come from an indie game dev perspective. Game developers are obviously the middle men between asset creators and the gamer crowd. And from this middle man perspective, 10-20% sales are not much to be excited about, that's all. ;)

infinitypbr and mr_Necturus like this.
  39. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

Mohamed-Anis likes this.
  40. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

Not all publishers think like sfbaystudios . I enjoy to make my personal 50% sales 3 times in year. And as I know, developers enjoy them as well. :)

41. Teila

Teila

I agree. If developers can get what they need to profit for their time, then they won't make assets and we all lose.

I love your stuff, but I have bought all your stuff at your past sales and now have nothing left to buy from you. Sales like yours do encourage us to stock up, but then you lose those sales when we need something.

In the end it probably all levels out. I do pay full price more often than not, mostly because I learned the hard way that buying on sale only adds assets that deprecate before I can use them or something better comes along so they are replaced in my game. A large portion of my purchased assets from sales are no long usable in today's Unity game. They have become obselete.

Not yours, Necturus. : ) They are still as vibrant and beautiful as always.

42. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

Thank you Teila!

50% sales 3 times in year is kind of my tradition already. ;)
    Besides of it my products almost don't taken to official Unity sales, in time assets of my primary competitors are in every sale sometime very massively.

I didn't ask Unity stuff why this. Maybe because of my personal sales. Don't know.

Teila likes this.
  43. missfortune

missfortune

I may be wrong but i can't disagree more with that assertion

In my opinion there are 2 big kind of buyers on the asset store:

1- Those who purchase assets to use in a project/game and are willing to pay the full price.

2- Those who do not have a current project but would buy assets it if they get a good discount but will never buy it at full price or low discount only to stock them.

The second type of buyer fill two functions:

Spend money on assets that otherwise they will not buy and provide reviews on new sellers that can get a surge in popularity and sell more in the future.

Since Unity start making those 10-30% sales you can easily tell the second type of buyers are not buying that much.

Before, almost every single asset on the 24 hour sale will get to the 1st spot of the "Top paid" of their category, now they hardly make into the top 10. Hell, right now if you check the top 10 paid assets from the "3d Models" category only 2 of them are discounted and they both are on those spots for days/weeks.

chelnok, AGregori and Teila like this.
  44. Teila

Teila

I not sure how this illustrates disagreeing with @sfbaystudios at all. Seems like a completely different point. :)

There is a third category as well. Those that have a project, but are on a budget, and buy when on sale to use when then need them. I know a lot of those people. :) They are the ones who complain on the developers' forums when they miss the sale. lol

Also, even those of us with projects like to get stuff on sale. : ) The difference is that we know what we need and only buy what we know we will use...or at least we do after we get a little bit of experience with assets, the asset store, and the fast moving Unity updates that make some things obsolete.

TeagansDad and hopeful like this.
  45. AGregori

AGregori

Kind of a weird and self-defeating perspective to me. If your game is strong enough (in writing, gameplay, atmosphere etc.), even old-ass assets can be safely used and even reused in it. I mean I have assets from 2011 that I plan to use in my commercial game(s). Just my 2 cents.

46. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

I definitely have a strong interest in learning how users interact with the store -- what users want, what they need, and mostly what they don't know they want or need.

Like @Teila , I have also bought things on sale thinking "I'll use them one day!", only to never use them and find out later, since they aren't being updated, I actually can't use them anymore.

I don't think that's a good thing. Sure, the publisher made some money, the asset store made some money, and you can attribute that directly to the product being on sale. However, it leaves me (and likely others) more hesitant to buy in the future, at full or reduced price, because we've had a bad experience. How do I know that any other product will be supported in the future? The best way to ensure I don't get screwed over, then, is to not buy until I absolutely need something.

That's why I have a feeling that value-added sales and discounts would be more beneficial. Especially if they're targeted to users particular needs and tastes. It makes no sense to show my Spiders Pack PBR or other fantasy characters to someone who has been exclusively looking at Sci-fi models...or perhaps no models at all.

I'm interested in how assets from different publishers can work really well together, and would prefer to see "sales" based on packaging those together, with a discount, along with a short and sweet "how to" and "why" guide, letting me know why I need the assets and how to use them quickly and efficiently.

An asset that is purchased and never used is, in my opinion, something that shouldn't occur. I'd like every purchase to be viewed as a positive value, not because the price was lower than it usually is, but because the net result is a more efficient workflow, a higher quality game, or something of that sort.

Teila and TeagansDad like this.
  47. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I agree with you. I've bought assets just in case because they were on sale only to find out I'll probably never use them either because they are deprecated or because better options come along

With this sale I've been adding to my cart and then thinking "Will I need it for my current project?" If the answer is "no" then I remove it. It is hard because I have a bit of an addiction to the Asset Store but I am in rehab now and getting better. lol

The funny thing about replying to you is if my current project does well I plan on buying most of your assets for my second project which they'll fit perfectly in (I already own a couple of your assets.) Hopefully by then you'll have a mega bundle with everything. lol

Teila and infinitypbr like this.
  48. MJohnson24

MJohnson24

It is a hard battle though with the constant public and personal sales. I don't think that there is a day that goes by (publically speaking) where there isn't a "featured," "new," or "#assetstore" banner on the store with constant discount sale prices. (Don't forget about 24 hour sales! Just because they are 24 hour sales doesn't mean it has to be every day. )

The #new banner may not have discounts, but people still see the "Banner" and draw their attention to those assets over others. the problem too, is with those assets, theyre usually just picked out as new favorites from the devs. They may be excellent or poor packages. But draw more attention than other new assets on the store which are also new, but weren't "picked" as a favorite from the devs on that side of the workflow.

The constant sales do effect things in the long run. And like @sfbaystudios said, we could essentially just keep our assets on sale all the time, or constant 50% off, and they definitely would sell because of that word "Sale." But having a constant battle of "personal" sales, does become bad in a sense for the store.

I have done my personal sales in the past, but have mostly stopped since last year. There is a sales submission form. Yes it may takes months to get accepted, but its more regular, than people deciding not to wait and apply, and then just flood the store with hundreds of personal sales..

49. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

I already do have a mega bundle :) But because the way the asset store works (one file only, max 4GB), I can't sell it on the asset store. If you go to my site (http://www.InfinityPBR.com) the cart will have an option to add everything to it, and give a hefty discount for each.

As someone who started out buying from the store to populate an RPG, I realize that having a consistent art style throughout the enemies etc is important. So for anyone who wants that, and is going to buy everything, I can give a discount. That's in line with my "Value add" theory :D

50. hopeful

hopeful

While it's not a bad discussion, it IS hijacking the thread. ;)

Let's keep this for "secret sale" items and move the other talk to a new thread?

rrahim, StevenPicard and mr_Necturus like this.