Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome! - New NavMesh Features Experimental Preview

Discussion in 'AI & Navigation Previews' started by Jakob_Unity, Nov 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baste

Baste

Nope! I'd assume that would fail.

I'm planning one of these:
    - post-process the built navmesh, either to just read out the generated polygons to generate interesting metadata about the navigation surface, or to actually change the polygons in some way
    - Build a navmesh from scratch without basing it on renderers or existing geometry.

2. marcV2g

marcV2g

What if our game worlds are large and need to be divided into a grid, stored in a format other than unity scenes or randomly generated?

3. Seto

Seto

Anyone answers about the angular speed issue in the new implementation of nav agent?

4. LaneMax

LaneMax

Hello,

Trying to get this working in the newest 5.5.0b11, but getting a lot of errors. Anything I'm missing?

Screenshot attached

Screen.png

5. Jakob_Unity

Jakob_Unity

6. Jakob_Unity

Jakob_Unity

. API for extracting polygons is from navmesh is planned - but not in development yet.
    . You don't need to have renderers or colliders to build a navmesh - you can use the Mesh class directly - maybe i should add an example with that (check NavMeshBuildSource struct)
    . Actually changing the generated navmesh is not planned so far - what kind of post-processing do you have in mind ?

7. Jakob_Unity

Jakob_Unity

I cannot see a difference. Please report a bug with reproduction steps - and i'll have a look .

8. Jakob_Unity

Jakob_Unity

I'm not sure what the question is - can you elaborate ?

9. Baste

Baste

Mostly adjustment to make agents behave nicely.

Here's a screen from our game:

Untitled.png

If I had NPCs that wanders randomly around the map, it could get awkward if they walk up into that corner on the right. The villager that wanders into a narrow corridor, stands there, and walks back out would just be embarrassing. Still, adjusting the baking process so that little strip doesn't generate will cause other areas to have

If I could iterate the navmesh and find polygons with very small areas that only connect to one other polygon, and snip those out, that would be useful in this situation. It'd also reduce the amount of complicated situations the NPC agents would have to take care of.

That would especially be useful for generated maps, where you can't fix situations like that with a Navmesh obstacle.

10. marcV2g

marcV2g

Situations where navmeshes need to be modified at runtime but creating from scratch is unnecessarily costly.

11. Jakob_Unity

Jakob_Unity

The "NavMeshBuilder.UpdateNavMeshData" method should provide you with that - i.e. update local modifications only.

12. Seto

Seto

I make the angular speed as 1e+10. But it still rotates slow. In the old implementation, it will rotate fast. It seems that there's a max limitation. But it doesn't exist in the old implementation.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  13. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

You can use your old approach with navmesh, look at the documentation for .CalculateTriangulation()

hippocoder likes this.
  14. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I had some issues like that but my solution was to give the navmesh very generous traversal options, then just reference a specially made mesh, it's a pretty poor approach but it does get around those kinds of issues. Kind of forcing it to accept our geo when it could just, well, accept our geo.

15. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

Bad news: the inside of large empty objects still longer produce islands :( still a source of many bugs. @Jakob_Unity we need an option to detect normal direction.

Also a way to delete pieces of navmesh that are not connected.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  16. Jakob_Unity

Jakob_Unity

Yes - that behaviour hasn't changed. We cannot meaningfully auto-discard the inside of a house or similar. a "NavMeshSeedPoint" to solve this issue - is on the list for of things to do.

laurentlavigne likes this.
  17. TheMadChemist

TheMadChemist

I am finding some issues with the NavMeshAgent and longer paths. Some longer paths seem to cause the NavMeshAgent to halt. I've checked the path in debug and found that there is a complete list of corners from the start to the destination. The navigation debug overlays also show shaded polygons up to the target. Despite all this, the NavMeshAgent's desired velocity is 0. You can still use the path, just requires you write code to manually step through; it breaks the high-level usage, though.

18. marcV2g

marcV2g

Is there any way to save a runtime generated navmesh to avoid having to recreate it when a game save is reloaded? Also can you read the data of a polygon a agent is on and the ones it connects to get a list of places it could move?

19. Argus_xD

Argus_xD

The problem encountered in the past
    Agent with a radius of 0.5 It moves across the grid
    but if you set any other value then move the field reduced

another example
    with a radius of 0.3 agent does not move

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  20. Jakob_Unity

Jakob_Unity

The agent can only move on a navmesh that has been built for that agent type. Ie. you need to build a navmesh for the "New Agent".

21. Argus_xD

Argus_xD

The problem with a radius decided
    defaultBuildSettings.overrideVoxelSize = true;

here is also happening

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  22. Jakob_Unity

Jakob_Unity

An update is available - Fixing a number of reported issues:
    • carving + async navmesh building causing errors
    • slow agent rotation speed on rotated navmesh surface
    • swap endpoints of link
    • baking NavMeshSurface on prefab
    • Agent unable to move to some tiles

You need to fetch a new feature build as well as updating the script code. See:
    https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/NavMeshComponents#how-to-get-started

23. Baste

Baste

Are you planning on having the NavMeshSurface complain if they were built with different settings than what the agent type current is set to? That would probably help with this.

I was going to suggest turning off Agent type editing during play, but I guess that if you're baking on the fly, it can be nice to modify it as you're moving around to see what the mesh ends up looking like.

24. Arowx

Arowx

@Jakob_Unity What if stacked navmeshes were used to simulate a navmesh volume, the API would only need a way for flying characters to be loosely linked to their nearest surface and to navigate using these linked surfaces when blocked at one level?

25. Argus_xD

Argus_xD

This is normal or planned to fix it?

26. Jakob_Unity

Jakob_Unity

no complaining planned - it's possible that users might want to swap agent type at runtime - and add/remove/modify etc. as you mention.

27. Jakob_Unity

Jakob_Unity

Sounds unmanegable to me - but i've seen implementations of flying objects using a single navmesh plane in mid-air - and agents having baseOffset modified for height - avoidance breaks down though (no over/under avoidance)

28. Jakob_Unity

Jakob_Unity

The overlapping navmesh and almost vertical skirts look like a bug. will be investigated.

29. Arowx

Arowx

OK by avoidance do you mean Obstance or Unit avoidance?

Side Note: How fast is the dynamic Navmesh system could it be used to fly a fast moving vehicle around a complex procedurally generated 3d world?

For example you could have 3 axial planes each with a dynamic navmesh that provide obstacle avoidance and basic pathfinding?

30. Baste

Baste

I'm not thinking for if the users swap agent types. I'm thinking if you've got the agent type "ogre" that used to have a radius of 1, and you built a bunch of surfaces. Then you change the radius of "ogre" to 0.8. Now you've got a bunch of surfaces that's registered as ogre-surfaces, but with the wrong radius.

Or have I missunderstood how things work?

31. Jakob_Unity

Jakob_Unity

We don't want to throw errors on that - as users might want to tweak agent radius a bit for the sake of avoidance.
    e.g. reuse Ogre navmesh for "Big Ogre" - but have slightly bigger radius for better avoidance on "Big Ogre"

32. marcV2g

marcV2g

So is there any way to read or save navmesh data?

33. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

I see one more reason to make the mesh data read/write, we can write this code in c#.

34. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

The example scenes are really well made, what you want is done in 5_sliding_window_terrain.
    It's quite slow with default build values on terrain. I think it voxelize the highres geometry of the tetrrain instead of using the raw heighmap... my guess is the next terrain is voxel so Jakob didn't bother - I'm bored so I'm starting a rumor :-D
    EDIT: reading the github doc I see that the system references the terrainData so the updated rumor is that the new terrain is still heightmap :p
    Once you tune NavMeshBuildSettings.voxelSize and .tileSize you can get something pretty fast.
    In the example, I use voxelSize of 0.1 tileSize of 50 and it's catching up with agent movement speed of 50.
    Also playing around with the lowres scene 4_sliding_window_infinite I can see that the navmesh updater is having no problem with a 50/50 agent. Se can deduct that the voxelizer is having aneasier time with lowres mesh. Your procedural environment generator will need to instantiate low res proxy mesh alongside the highres mesh to keep within your cpu budget. Wouldn't it be nice if we could control the # of threads for baking isn't it? (@Jakob_Unity ?)

For your flying project use something else, you're trying to shoehorn a planar system into a volume system. Have you tried breadcrumb pathfinding or boids? I'm always surprised at how low tech approach to AI works just fine.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  35. Seto

Seto

It would be great if a version number is added to the releases. Such as a1,b1,f1.

36. freedomize

freedomize

I hope that new NavMesh will work with Unity's native 2D solution (top-down games). It would be great if you create 2d colliders for agents and 2d obstacles.

37. freedomize

freedomize

Can you add the ability to bake 2d maps, created in the unity tilemap editor(experimental)? It would be cool if we could bake NavMesh using sprites.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  38. Seto

Seto

The latest version will crash with this line "Input.location.Start();" in android build.
    It seems that it's a fixed bug.
    Maybe it's related to these bugs below.
    • Android: Android: LocationService - Fixed crash bug (757111)
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...-wrong-type-android-dot-location-dot-location
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...dot-start-on-android-5-dot-0-or-newer-devices

If it's not fixed, I can't move to the new release.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  39. marcV2g

marcV2g

What are the requirements for LocalNavMeshBuilder to work? It sometimes works and sometimes does nothing for reasons I don't understand.

40. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

1. Each mesh needs to be collected as source, @Jakob_Unity uses a component called NavMeshSourcetag, place one per mesh object.
    2. all sources need to be within the bounds defined in LocalNavMeshBuilder
    If this doesn't work for you, post a youtube, we'll have a look.

41. marcV2g

marcV2g

Thank you for your help, I though that it would automatically collect all geometry in its bounds.

42. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

It doesn't because the new system is dynamic so you can no longer rely on static flags.
    To get a grasp of how it works, try all the samples and find how they work because they're all minimalist and very well made. "4 sliding window infinite" is a good start for you.

43. marcV2g

marcV2g

I did try the samples but missed the tags and though it just used a physics.overlapBox.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  44. Jakob_Unity

Jakob_Unity

It's planned but not done yet. Stil - if you can extract a mesh for you 2D geometry - you should be able to do it using the NavMeshBuildSource directly

45. Jakob_Unity

Jakob_Unity

This bug is unrelated to navmesh - meaning it'll appear in 5.5 RC - Which is bad - plz reopen the bug then.

46. Jakob_Unity

Jakob_Unity

Correct - the static flags are not available at runtime - so collecting the navmesh generation input sources is different from the "old" behaviour.

47. Seto

Seto

Because the bug is an private issue. And the public bugs are flagged as duplicate. I have no way to reopen it. Could you please reopen it? The previous Navmesh build is without this bug.

48. freedomize

freedomize

It's great that we can bake navmesh in the x-y plane. Anyway, i hope that later we could use navmesh which can work with sprites (without meshes).

49. JesHal

JesHal

Now that NavMeshLinks have width, is it possible for multiple NavMeshAgents to use the same NavMeshLink at the same time? And if not, then can agent's current NavMeshLink be accessed somehow so I could programmatically tell the agent to use other NavMeshLink?

50. Jakob_Unity

Jakob_Unity

It's single user only still - but good point. I think it would make sense to add API to choose between link behaviours on traversal. Single User/Multiple Users.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.