Search Unity

WebGL will only publish with FIPS disabled

Discussion in 'Web' started by unklebooey1, Apr 25, 2017.

1. unklebooey1

unklebooey1

When I was trying to publish for WebGL with 5.6.0 on Windows 7, IL2CPP kept crashing even with a blank scene:
    https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/w...er-building-native-binary-with-il2cpp.466196/

So with further research I noticed the line in my logs: "This implementation is not part of the Windows Platform FIPS validated cryptographic algorithms"

Going to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\FipsAlgorithmPolicy and setting enabled to "0" instead of "1" allows me to successfully build for WebGL, which effectively disables FIPS.

I noticed this on Microsoft's website:

"Microsoft .NET Framework applications such as Microsoft ASP.NET only allow for using algorithm implementations that are certified by NIST to be FIPS 140 compliant. Specifically, the only cryptographic algorithm classes that can be instantiated are those that implement FIPS-compliant algorithms. The names of these classes end in "CryptoServiceProvider" or "Cng." Any attempt to create an instance of other cryptographic algorithm classes, such as classes with names ending in "Managed," cause an InvalidOperationException exception to occur. Additionally, any attempt to create an instance of a cryptographic algorithm that is not FIPS compliant, such as MD5, also causes an InvalidOperationException exception"

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...n-windows-xp-and-in-later-versions-of-windows

Not sure what to do about this, I feel like I shouldn't be disabling this feature?

Thanks,
    Perry

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    Jude77 likes this.
  2. Stesproject

Stesproject

Hi unklebooey,
    I get the same problem when I try to build for WebGL with Unity 5.6 and I don't understand how to solve it.
    How can I going to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/... ?

Thanks for the help.

kkaldas likes this.
  3. Vasilkb

Vasilkb

i have the same problem

4. Z3uS

Z3uS

Windows-R --> regedit

5. SoshJam

SoshJam

Mac solution?

6. Annundur

Annundur

I'm getting the same problem, two years later. However I checked my FipsAlgorithmPolicy setting and it's enabled = 0 already. Any other way to solve this?

Thank you very much

7. bugfinders

bugfinders

Id like to add ditto with 2018.3f2

it seems to cause also weird behavior with native builds too, hundreds (litterally) of processes appear and hang around and it takes forever to build too

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  8. Jerdz

Jerdz

In 2019, the bug is still here, not only Unity crashes but also my ENTIRE COMPUTER SHUTS DOWN, I've tried everything, my FipsAlgorithm was already disabled, I am trying on a blank project, the computer still shut down at the "Build native binary stage with IL2CPP" stage.
    Why they haven't fix that issue after so many years ???

PizzaNinja927, mablack and Natka_B like this.
  9. ZacNolan

ZacNolan

In 2020 September, bug is still here. My FIPS is on 0 already but the error is still going. What's happening????

nickeron and bugfinders like this.
  10. exitshadow

exitshadow

Yep, I do have this problem too in December 2020.

I’ve got error messages though.

Error 1
    Error 2
    Error 3
    Error 4
    It doesn’t happen with classic standalone building. It does block in the IL2CPP part. I just started the tutorials and systematically get stuck in the WebGL part—it is very frustrating and problematic as I’ll need the WebGL version later on.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
  11. Jslice

Jslice

Version 2019.4.10f1 (on Mac High Sierra) - getting frozen on building IL2CPP for WebGL. After reading the rest of the responses (and I'm on mac) I don't think I'm going to even bother with FIPS. Any other solutions yet?

On OS Console I see this error at the same time as it freezes, But I also see the same message all through the logs even when Unity first boots - so I'm not sure if it has anything to do with it:

error 02:06:19.055464 -0700 Unity nw_path_close_fd Failed to close guarded necp fd 106 [9: Bad file descriptor]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021