Search Unity

WebGL Retina Tool - 1.0

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by tomhog, Nov 16, 2016.

1. tomhog

tomhog

Hi Everyone

I'd just like to make people aware WebGL Retina Tools has now been accepted on the asset store

Full version: http://u3d.as/CjZ

Free lite version: http://u3d.as/Cpw
    supports development builds only

WebGL Retina Tools adds Retina/HDPI resolution support to your webgl builds (Macbook retina displays etc).

It's a one click solution to patching your built JS files and also provides example WebGLTemplates and detailed descriptions of how to get you're own templates working.

If you're on a device with a hdpi/retina display try it for yourself.

Non retina version
    http://www.hogbox.com/unity/plugins/webglretinatools/demos/nonretina/

Retina version
    http://www.hogbox.com/unity/plugins/webglretinatools/demos/retina/

Let me know what you think or if you have any questions.

2. tteneder

tteneder

Unity Technologies

Hi tomhog!
    Have you tried Unity 5.6 beta with WebAssembly enabled yet? Does your PlugIn work in that case?

Thanks!

3. tomhog

tomhog

Hi atti

Unfortunately I haven't tried it yet and my gut instinct tells me it won't work in it's current form. My guess is emscripten is going to just spit out the WebAssembly byte code which means our opportunity to inject the fix will no long be there. Perhaps I can look at either getting it to spit out js then we run it through the WebAssembly process ourselves or converting the WebAssembly back to javasscript, injecting the fix then converting back. Both sound like a fair amount of work so I'll try set some time aside to look at it as I use this myself on a client project.

Tom

4. tteneder

tteneder

Unity Technologies

fyi:
    I had the same gut feeling, but it turns out the function "fillMouseEventData", that needs tweaking isn't wasm byte code. It's still readable javascript in a file called "<project name>.wasm.framework.unityweb". I'm about to add support for it to my own build tools.

5. tomhog

tomhog

Little update

I've got WebglRetinaTools updated and working with Unity 5.6, both standard and WebAssembly builds, though I have a feeling the WebAssembly fix will break in a coming update as the js code isn't minified in release builds.

The GZip compression was the tricky bit, you need to make sure you have a specific comment in the header of the file for the UnityLoader.js to accept it.

Code (CSharp):
    1. "UnityWeb Compressed Content (gzip)"
    I've also been looking at Brotli support and have found a Brotli.Net library but need to look at making it cross platform as it's only Windows at the moment. So I'm gonna leave it out of this release.

Just running some tests today, but seems to be working in Unity 5.3 up to 5.6. Yay

How did you get on?

6. tteneder

tteneder

Unity Technologies

Well, I'm not using the Unity built-in compression, so it's easy for me.

7. tomhog

tomhog

8. fastgamedev

fastgamedev

Hi Tom,

The tool no longer works with 2018.2, mouse coordinates are wrong. Can you please update it?

Thanks!
    Arman.

9. tomhog

tomhog

Hi Arman

I've just submitted a version 3.2 to the Asset store. It now supports Unity 2018.2. Should be available in a few days.

Thanks
    Tom

fastgamedev likes this.
  10. fastgamedev

fastgamedev

@tomhog,

Thank you, works like a charm.

11. freedom667

freedom667

when I use a template, the game does not work. I see just black screen

12. tomhog

tomhog

Hi freedom667

What template are you using? Other user have reported trying to use responsive templates in the past that alter the WebGL canvas's dimensions. This is how the fix works and will cause issues. Do you have a link to the template you're using?

Thanks
    Tom

13. freedom667

freedom667

Actually, it is happening the all responsive template. for example Universal WebGL Template asset

14. tomhog

tomhog

I had someone contact me about this in past, they fixed it but they found a different template and didn't inform me which. If you're using a custom template you'll need to ensure the canvas dimensions retain the scale being applied to them by the fix.

I'll try add a responsive template myself. Essentially you will just need to ensure the width and height of the canvas take into account the fact that the canvas needs to be scaled by the device pixel ratio.

https://www.html5rocks.com/en/tutorials/canvas/hidpi/

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  15. tomhog

tomhog

Update as I've had a strangely large number of support requests the last few days.

I have plans to implement the following in the next couple of weeks once I have a client project completed.

1. Test with latest Unity version
    2. Add support for 'Filenames as Hashes' option in the WebGL build settings
    3. Add an example of a responsive WebGL Template that will also support the retina fix.
    4 Look into handling of DPI scaling in relation to device orientation on mobile devices.

Thanks
    Tom

16. tcvpromo

tcvpromo

Any news? We need support for 'Filenames as Hashes' option :)
    And this plugin works with wasm?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  17. tomhog

tomhog

I've finally made a start on this. I'll make file 'File Names as Hashes' a priority and maybe do an earlier release of the simpler features.

18. tomhog

tomhog

Version 3.3 is now available it adds support for the following

- 'Name Files as Hashes' publishing option is now supported.
    The tool will recalculate the Hashes and inject the new file names into your template
    - The settings are now stored in a json file so they can be shared between users.
    - Few improvements to the way the fix is applied.

With this version I'm depreciating support for Unity 5.6 and lower to enable a more streamlined fix in future builds.

Apologies for the delay. My first child was born so been rather busy haha

19. tomhog

tomhog

I've also dropped the price for a while!

20. freedom667

freedom667

there is a bug I think. I using the WebGL template of simmer.io and me exporting it but when I apply your tool to the built app, the app becomes huge just like zoom. Why?

21. tteneder

tteneder

Unity Technologies

22. freedom667

freedom667

23. freedom667

freedom667

your asset does not work properly with templates. why I don't know

24. learningbank

learningbank

Anyone figured out how to make this asset work with templates? I'm trying to use the responsive template from simmer, but run into same issues as others in this thread.