1. We've introduced thread tags, search within a thread and similar thread search. Read more here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Learn how you'll soon be able to publish your games to China in four simple steps with Xiaomi. Sign up now for early access.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Get further faster with the Unity Plus Accelerator Pack, free for new Unity Plus subscribers for a limited time. Click here for more details.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. We've released our first Timeline Experimental Preview, our new tool for creating cutscenes and more! To check it out click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Unity 5.5 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out all the fixes for 5.5 in patch releases 1 & 2.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Unity 5.6 beta is now available for download.
    Dismiss Notice

WebGL and WebVR

Discussion in 'WebGL' started by MaT227, Mar 8, 2016.

1. MaT227

MaT227

Hi there,

I am wondering if Unity currently supports Oculus, Vive or some VR device using WebGL or if there's a way to do VR using Unity and WebGL.

Thank you !

linojon likes this.
  2. Marco-Trivellato

Marco-Trivellato

Unity Technologies

Not at the moment. We have done some initial investigation and we will likely implement it at some point in the future, but this is not on our short term roadmap.

Blarp likes this.
  3. MaT227

MaT227

4. arapps3d

arapps3d

Hello Unity team, can you specify when this would be approximately implemented?
    I'm searching for a solution to build a Cardboard VR project from Unity (WebGL Target).......Or maybe there is already a Web GL / WebVR Cardboard solution that I just did not find yet? Thanks in advance.

5. jonas-echterhoff

jonas-echterhoff

Unity Technologies

Today, it is possible to use WebVR in Unity using this plugin: https://github.com/gtk2k/Unity-WebVR-Assets

In the future, we will have WebVR support integrated into Unity WebGL, so that Unity VR projects will work without modifications. We have a working prototype of this, I expect this to ship in Unity 5.6, or maybe 5.5.

That said, since you mentioned Cardboard, I assume you want to target mobile phones. Due to performance and memory constraints in Unity WebGL, this is currently not recommended or supported. You can still try it, but expect results to be unsatisfactory.

6. arapps3d

arapps3d

Hi Jonas, thanks for the fast reply! I will check the github solution.

7. BadSeedProductions

BadSeedProductions

Any updates? Is there anywhere I can go to follow the development of this?

8. jonas-echterhoff

jonas-echterhoff

Unity Technologies

No updates yet. This will not be in 5.5, possibly 5.6.

That said, I think this feature will stay in an "experimental" state for a while to come. Not because WebVR doesn't work by itself (it does), but because the tech stack of the WebGL platform is, IMO, not ready to drive VR content yet (outside the realm of simple demos). VR requires consistently high frame rates with no hick-ups - but on a platform without threads, it is not possible to achieve that during the load of scenes for instance. So we will need other problems solved first before being able to use this for real production content. That said, I think there is value in having the feature available to experiment with before that.

BadSeedProductions likes this.
  9. diegopit

diegopit

Hi Jonas, just wanted to ask if you have any updates on WebVR with WebGL. I have a lot of projects that are pending on this and some colleagues are considering to migrate to PlayCanvas (such a waste of time and resources).

Thanks,
    Diego

10. Schubkraft

Schubkraft

Unity Technologies

Unfortunately this will not ship in 5.6. Chances are it will be part of Unity 5.7 as an experimental feature.

But the limitations of WebVR in general still apply as laid out above.