Search Unity

WebGl and Space Shouter tutorial

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Tempest74, May 19, 2017.

1. Tempest74

Tempest74

Hello. I have a problem when I learning from Space Shouter tutorial. I heard I should use WebGl because Web Player isn't available. But I see this: Building for WebGl requires a 64-bit Unity editor. So the question is: Can I continue the tutorial without WebGl? What platform I should use. Thanks in advance

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

You don't need to build for any platform in order to do the tutorial. Just hit the Run button, and play your game within the IDE.

When someday you finish a game and want to share it with others, you'll have many options for building. I'm sure you can get WebGL working, for example, even if it means rerunning the installer. Or you could build for Mac or Windows. Or Linux. Or maybe you'll want to deploy to iOS or Android. Or even consoles. Who knows?

But until that day, it really doesn't matter. Learn to how to develop games; when you've actually developed one, then building it is easy.

P.S. I absolutely love the idea of a "Space Shouter" game. :) I don't know what it is, but it sounds like good fun!

3. Tempest74

Tempest74

Ok, i see.
    But in first tutorial the guy changed resolution and I dont see an option to do that for windows. It is necesary ?

4. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

No, that's unnecessary. (And unfortunate, in my opinion, that a beginner-level tutorial would start with such things.)

Just ignore that part and get into the actual game. :)

5. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

For learning I reccomend just building to desktop. It's much simpler then all of the other possible platforms.

JoeStrout likes this.