Search Unity

1. We're looking for feedback on Unity Starter Kits! Let us know what you’d like.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2017.2 beta is now available for download.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity 2017.1 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Introducing the Unity Essentials Packs! Find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Check out all the fixes for 5.6 on the patch releases page.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Help us improve the editor usability and artist workflows. Join our discussion to provide your feedback.
    Dismiss Notice

We have now messy bad standard forum font quality since (about) 05.08.2017

Discussion in 'Meta-forum Discussion' started by Quatum1000, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

The web guys seems to have changed the font quality or switched to another system font property. As they change the header area of the forum I guess.

On desktop browsers the text is washed out and it's bad to read on 100%. The original font is used is currently visible in the thread editor. The same font bad Font was used while the forum style was changed some month ago, and ppl hate it.

Is there any chance to change the font back to its original quality by any user setting of the forum?
    _______________________________________________________________________________

Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  2. LaneFox

LaneFox

It's nice and sharp for me.

3. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

Does the text from the image (crispy old style ) looks the same for you as the text above on 100% ? Should be desktop at dpi 100%.

4. LaneFox

LaneFox

Yeah it looks the same.

5. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

That looks pretty different to me.

Untitled-2.jpg

6. and-poulsen

and-poulsen

Unity Technologies

We updated the font to match the brand on our other sites. It's now Roboto, where before it was Arial (Or Helvetica for macs).
    I do see that it looks slightly blurry on your screenshot - what OS and browser is this on?

7. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

I'm on PC Windows 7 - LG34" 2580x1080 - Firefox - 100DPI 32bit.

8. The-Britain

The-Britain

It looks fine for me, though I'm not fond of the header. Luckily, I have ublock origin by gorhill for such things, like when Unreal decided that stupid forum header was a good idea.

9. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

The code part now use different fonts as well: Untitled-1.jpg

10. Murgilod

Murgilod

Wow, I just checked the scripting forum and that is, in fact, a huge mess of a problem.

11. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

Basinga?

12. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

hey andreaspoulsen,

I can follow to have a continuous match of your company brand and style, but in this case the forum is a daily working area for developers and forum users. Would it be a deal to let the users decide what default font he wana use by a option in the personal setup?

hippocoder likes this.
  13. Player7

Player7

Yeah I notice this aswel.. I thought something was off since last week... but I wasn't on paying much attention since I was at a different place using a different computer/screen last week.. Now that I'm back home using my default system this forum really is a bit off putting now and I can't just be bothered to read or reply to any threads because this font sucks for how its being used now. If that was the goal you achieved it Unity.

This bolder softer looking font is just not that nice for forum posts, tbh its not just that good for large amount of text at all.. its more for a short amount of text or a header.. weirdly enough the text input box is still using the older crisper font.

Seriously.. its rubbish I don't like it.. its almost bordering on comic sans style now. The attached image that other guy posted is exactly how it looks for me aswel. (Win7 64x, Firefox)

14. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

I found a workaround in Firefox, but could display other web sites lite different.
    Firefox Preferences > Content > Advanced

ff_pref.png

Uncheck the ‘Allow pages to choose their own fonts, instead of my selections above’ to override a web page’s font settings and impose your own. In my case I must use Serif Size 16 instead of 26 on the image.

ff_pref_fonts.png

15. Player7

Player7

Using the firefox stylish addon css fix is a alot better than doing it that way..

This works fine for me...
    Code (CSharp):
    1. @-moz-document domain("forum.unity3d.com") {
    2.   body {
    3.     font: 12px/1.0 arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif!important;
    4.    }
    5. }
    Also just realized I had old zolrans old dark Unity forum theme disabled, must have totally forgotten about it after the err can't remember the name of it forum switch over that didn't stick... goes nicely with the new header/footer..needs alot more color fixes, don't like the text selection colors etc .. probably just stick with the above font css fix for now.

https://pastebin.com/raw/2meDtP0R

Quatum1000 likes this.
  16. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

Thanks, cool! I tried to enlarge the font from
    Code (CSharp):
    1. font: 12px/1.0 arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif!important;
    to 16px, but seems not work like that.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017 at 1:04 PM
  17. Player7

Player7

oh yeah the font size won't change because its overwritten elsewhere in the css ..message body font size can be adjusted by adding...

.messageText {
    font-size: 1.25em!important; /*Seems to match the exact size as it was before */
    line-height: 1.2;
    }

body {
    font-family: arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif!important;
    }

Quatum1000 likes this.
  18. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Style over substance is the most embarrassing disease of the tech sector at the moment. It's not clever.

However the font change recently is nowhere near as bad as the previous lithium thin-font fiasco although this newer one is slightly blurry, I can live with it fine. But really, forums aren't about being a snowflake with nice text when it comes to game development. It's about clearly communicating, often with code.

Please be careful with forum changes. Would be sad if people communicated better on rival forums.

19. and-poulsen

and-poulsen

Unity Technologies

I have yet to see the font blurry myself in Chrome, Firefox or Safari - and I've checked on multiple systems and OS's. It looks odd in IE but that's about it, and that's expected. Does the font look blurry on https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Roboto ?