Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

water foam/shoreline shader?

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by SveinEven, Aug 11, 2015.

1. SveinEven

SveinEven

Hey!

I'm trying to get some foam at the shoreline on my water, but i cant get it to work.
    I've tried water4 advanced, but i dont like the look of it.
    Now I'm using the WaterProDaytime.

I've never made a shader, so I have no idea where to start.
    Does anyone have tips or something that could help me?

All I'm looking for is a white foam edge of the water where the water collides with the terrain.

Thanks in advance! :D

2. INedelcu

INedelcu

Unity Technologies

Hey!

I've modified the WaterProDaytime shader to include the foam you wanted along the shorelines. Check the attached image and the new shader. A sample project using a terrain and the new water shader is also linked. I've added some new parameters to the WaterProDaytime material: a foam texture(found in standard assets), a gradient texture and a parameter to control the foam strength(or length).
    The most important changes are in the vertex shader and pixel shader. You can look after the HAS_FOAM define. It also uses _CameraDepthTexture to get the depth of the geometry behind the water plane.
    The project is made with Unity 5.1.2.

The project is on Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4LJksp0Jr1rNnFkdGhlZmZDdVU/view?usp=sharing

Attached Files:

3. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

4. SveinEven

SveinEven

Yea, exactly what i need!! :D
    Thanks!

One question. If i want the foam texture to be larger, the texture, not the foam, how would i do that? Use a different texture maybe?

5. INedelcu

INedelcu

Unity Technologies

Yes, use a bigger texture if you want more detail.

Right now there's not too much variation and the foam looks like a continuous strip. But if you want more variation you can modify the shader and use a 2D noise texture and modulate it with the final foam intensity. You should use something similar to the attached image that will cover the entire map. If you need help let me know.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
    ahungrybear likes this.
  6. SveinEven

SveinEven

I need to teach my self how to create shaders :p
    I know c#, javascript and java. But i have no idea how a shader is put together.

I would really appreciate a bit of help here :)

7. idurvesh

idurvesh

@INedelcu Hi thanks much for shader,does it optimized for mobile devices?? Also could you guide me on how to make river water for river racing game like Shine runner and Ripitude GP ?

8. bingheliefeng

bingheliefeng

@INedelcu This demo don't support mobile.

idurvesh likes this.
  9. archat01

archat01

Hello INedelcu & Everyone,
    I'm new to Unity although I've fair amount of experience with C# and WPF. Right now I'm working on a project where foam and water interaction with game objects happen to be the trickiest part. I've made my water and waves tweaking codes from Scrawk blog. But left absolutely clueless about the foam and wave interaction with the game object. I'm uploading a few images where both what I've achieved and what is my target is portrayed (images with Reference at the end are my target). Any help, clue, comment on how to achieve it in Unity or if at all feasible in Unity, would be more than helpful for me. Since these posts are related to foam and water interaction, I thought of posting it here. If I made a mistake, my apology in advance.

Link on Youtube to the reference Video is :

Thanks in Advance.

Attached Files:

10. INedelcu

INedelcu

Unity Technologies

Hi archat01

We don't have that level of detail in Unity. That's clearly a water rendering that uses fluid simulation with all complex mathematical stuff or maybe it's even real :). You could use my project above to generate some foam near geometries but other than this there's no water interaction, just a flat plane.

11. archat01

archat01

Hello INedelcu,

I'm really grateful to hear from you. I almost understood that such fluid simulation with complicated foams is near impossible in Unity, still I was looking for a confirmation from someone much experienced. Many thanks once again. I hope if I bother for some suggestions sometimes you won't mind right?

12. Dashin

Dashin

@INedelcu It works great using unity 5.2.1f1, or 5.2 in general, but not working in 5.3, the foam appears everywhere... anybody knows why? :S checked the code but can't find the problem...

Thank you!

PS: What sould I do to to make it mobile friendly? (Is working though, just trying to make it better), should I make it working with rendering path of forward? how?
    Thanks again!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  13. idurvesh

idurvesh

Check this out,Highly optimized mobile water
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/th...pen-source-unity-5.370818/page-3#post-2460148

14. Sir-Spunky

Sir-Spunky

Hi,

I tried your shader, and it looks amazing! However, I need to change my camera's clipping plane from the default 0.3-1000 to something like 10-10000. Unfortunately, this makes the foam disappear entirely as it seems dependant on a low clipping plane. Is there an easy way to fix this, or do I need to take another approach?

Thanks for providing this, I think your shader should be included as the default water shader.

15. sumitb_mdi

sumitb_mdi

Yes, this shader might not work for the mobile platform, because it uses the CameraDepthTexture. Some platform like mobile have the depth texture mode off by default to reduce the memory footprint.

So to use this shader on mobile, you need to specifically mention Unity to enable the depth texture mode for your main Camera.

So in you C# script add :

mainCamera.depthTextureMode = DepthTextureMode.Depth;

where mainCamera is the reference to your Main Camera.

16. AlvaroGonzalez

AlvaroGonzalez

I'm really struggling with water. I've downloaded your project and it looks great. But when I create the same component in another project it just doesn't seem to do the trick. I'm creating a shoreline and I've tried with Basic Water, Water4 and WaterPro but none look anywhere close to realistic for a shoreline.

Maybe it's totally unrelated but my problem is that even though I'm using your same values, my water just vaguely moves and hence it doesn't create any foam. It should still create foam when it collides with terrain, but it's not meant to work that way. I'm sort of new to Unity so I do not know what else am I missing to have a wave of foam like in your example.

17. INedelcu

INedelcu

Unity Technologies

Hi AlvaroGonzalez,

Can you share a very basic project with your setup and the values you are using. I can do a GPU debug on my side if it's a shader bug.

18. liiijz

liiijz

Nice Shader, I test it in Unity 5.3.3 it works well, but in Unity 5.5.0, there is no foam effect, no error information with the shader, I don't know why? How to fix it?

19. liiijz

liiijz

@INedelcu I notice that when update to 5.5, these values changed
    is this the reason this water shader is not working on 5.5? Could you please modify a new version to 5.5?
    Thanks

Shaders: Z-buffer float inverted
    The Z-buffer (depth buffer) direction has been inverted and this means the Z-buffer will now contain 1.0 at the near plane, 0.0 at the far plane. This, combined with the floating point depth buffer significantly increases the depth buffer precision resulting in less Z-fighting and better shadows, especially when using small near planes and large far planes.

Graphics API changes:

• Clip space range is [near, 0] instead of [0, far]
    • _CameraDepthTexture texture range is [1,0] instead of [0,1]
    • Z-bias is negated before being applied
    • 24 bit depth buffers are switched to 32 bit float format

20. INedelcu

INedelcu

Unity Technologies

Attached Files:

21. MU-TH-UR

MU-TH-UR

Hi, is there any way to get the water up and running in VR with Forward Rendering and Single Pass Stereo? Foam/reflections works Deferred/MultiPass fine, foam goes away in Forward/MultiPass and bad reflections/no foam happen the rest.

ROBYER1 likes this.
  22. paulbuck86

paulbuck86

Uploaded this to the 5.6 project of mine. Everything seems to have imported correctly, except waves and foam isn't showing up. Not sure if you've had time recently to look at this. But it's a very interesting project for sure. I'll be tackling it later to see if I can get it to function correctly. I really like the prodaytime water with foam. The exact look I'm going for with water.

23. Flurgle

Flurgle

@INedelcu

This looks very cool. Do you have an update for 2017?

24. trzepaczek

trzepaczek

For 2017.2.0f3, in order to see foam:

in shader
    change:

Code (CSharp):
    1. half foamLightIntensity = saturate((-_WorldSpaceLightPos0.y + 0.2) * 4);
    to

Code (CSharp):
    1. half foamLightIntensity = saturate((_WorldSpaceLightPos0.y + 0.2) * 4);
    by simply removing the minus sign before
    PS. I'm using the files from ZIP from several posts above (https://forum.unity.com/attachments/waterfoam55-zip.222956/)

Cheers!

25. taimur_azhar

taimur_azhar

hi, I am actually want to make rafting water like shown in image and so far after spending dozens of hours I could only make water shown in other image, I'm using advancewater4, any suggestion can you give me please. I'll appreciate it, Thanks.

Attached Files:

26. Janders

Janders

I'm trying to make the foam ignore layers, so I can have a character swim trough the water without making any foam but no luck so far...

Any advise on how can I achieve that?

27. Dannark

Dannark

28. Herzleiid

Herzleiid

Nice job. I'm wondering if this is possible for ortographic camera.

29. normand

normand

30. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

I am having the same issue, was there a fix or alternative?