Search Unity

[W.I.P] 2.5D Fighting Game Framework

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Mistermind, Sep 24, 2013.

?

Witch version would you be most interested in?

1. Basic

22 vote(s)
    19.6%
  2. Advanced

9 vote(s)
    8.0%
  3. Pro

21 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. Pro (Source)

60 vote(s)
    53.6%
  1. jonkuze

jonkuze

Awesome! brings me back to my Marvel VS Capcom days! remember that anyone in the Arcades when Arcades still existed lol!

2. jaelove

jaelove

Do you think you can add a combo multiplier that shows up on screen and a announcer?

3. TaxisDude

TaxisDude

This is an amazing project. Thumbs up for you and your team ;) Subscribed!

Two questions:
    1) Could you tell us more about the frames in your engine? Most of the fighting games in the market runs at fixed fps (usually 60 fps) because the frame data is the core of that games.
    2) Will be possible to add/edit special character conditions like knockdowns, knockback, dizzy, break defenses and others?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  4. Mistermind

Mistermind

Oh yeah the combo multiplier is my todo list. As for an announcer system, that is a good idea, but its starting to get to a point where too much value is being aggregated to the engine. I might need to have this and a couple extra things sold separately otherwise the package will be too expensive.

Thanks!

1) Yup fixed at 60 fps. However the system is perfectly adaptable to fit speeds at your will. You can manipulate the speed and frame data of any animation and move you have in so at the end it doesn't really matter. Its preferable however that your project sticks with a fixed fps from the very beginning, otherwise you might have problems later on.

2) Currently the system supports
    quick stand - pressing a certain key at a certain time will make your character get up quickly
    delay stand - a common request from FGC to Street Fighter 4, Capcom never did it, well I did it lol

Now as for the rest
    knockback - would that be wall bounce? If so I haven't added that, but its a possibility. But as the announcer idea, it might be need to be sold separately.
    dizzy - its definitely something important. I might need to add it post release
    break defenses - Probably will need to be an addon as well. We will see.

5. jaelove

jaelove

For what it promises and for people who have been wanting something like this for years I doubt it will be too expensive lol. If you do two versions a basic version and a premium version with the other features I know I will be getting the premium version without a doubt.

6. Hendrixlt

Hendrixlt

So are we looking at a grappling system later down the line. I know that probably the most complicated thing to implement. If you need animations for that, let me know.

7. jaelove

jaelove

I know you have a lot on your plate at the moment but what is the ETA for this?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  8. Mistermind

Mistermind

Whenever I give an ETA I fail horribly at delivering lol

This is my TODO before the release:
    Blocking (Hold Back/Block Button/Parry/Push Block)
    Finish GUI (timer, gauge, portrait, combo counter, etc..)
    Character Selection Screen
    Editor Window GUI
    Tutorials

Post release:
    Grappling Moves
    Announcer
    3D Fighting system (Tekken/DOA alike)
    Stage Interactables (Injustice alike)
    AI
    Networking
    Official UFE Intro and seal
    More characters and animations

So.. Another 2-3 weeks maybe? I honestly don't know.. I made the super move system in a matter of hours, but we never know what bumps to expect when programming.

9. jaelove

jaelove

WOW I was going to suggest the stage interactions, but I am excited for everything you have on this list simply amazing

10. wickedeman

wickedeman

I've been following your thread since you started and I have to say i'm super excited to get my hands on this. I'm a big fighting game fanatic and this would be perfect for my next project. This looks promising Cannot wait.

cheers!

11. marcipw

marcipw

I am the same with ETA's.
    You are creating something ultra awesome though so I really do not mind waiting.

It may end up being a really great self Chrimbo present for me and I plan on taking 2 weeks off in December (I am self employed) so I can use that time to get elbow deep in your framework.

In between spending time with my wife, kids and family of course.

;)

12. jaelove

jaelove

Any updates?

13. Mistermind

Mistermind

Hey sorry for the lack of replies there guys
    I'm close to finish up on the Blocking system. As soon as I finish the Parry system I'll make a video update, then its off to the rest of my todo list =)

14. jaelove

jaelove

Cool can't wait!

15. jaelove

jaelove

I sent you a message ;)

16. marcipw

marcipw

Seriously looking forward to the new video. Well done on such awesome progress.

17. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Any plans to add weapons?

18. Mistermind

Mistermind

If your character doesn't change weapons during the game, its just a matter of adjusting the hitboxes to cover the weapons too. The system will do the rest. As for having the ability to draw a weapon or change fighting stances, I have just finished adding a new system that should allow that. Each move now has an option to change your character's combat stance. You can create several different stances each with its own individual attack moves and animations. An example from this would be Gen from Street Fighter 4 or the fighting stances from Mortal Kombat Armageddon.
    Here is a little screenshot of how the Character Editor looks like:
    $CharacterEditor.jpg

Sorry for the lack of a better looking Editor Window GUI. I'll probably gonna have to make that a post-release feature.

19. marcipw

marcipw

NICE!
    The editor looks fine to me.
    Who needs a load of flashy looking GUI bells and whistles when you consider what is under the hood. :)

I am so pleased that you are working to make the fighting dynamics work like Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter.
    Mortal Kombat has always been my personal favorite but I think there are way more Street Fighter lovers out there.

Anyone planning a remake of Eternal Champions? ;-)

20. jaelove

jaelove

Does this system support plugins like Playmaker?

21. marcipw

marcipw

A very good question...

That could make it even more attractive!

22. jerotas

jerotas

Subscribing :)

23. Mistermind

Mistermind

I'll have to do some study on Playmaker. I have it here but never used it. As soon as I finish the more important core I'll look into it and give you a proper answer.
    Video update should be coming soon. I just need to finish some of the GUI here so I can show you guys more then just block and parry ;)

24. jaelove

jaelove

Can't wait!:D

25. jaelove

jaelove

I have a question about the animation blending do all of the moves have to start and end in the idle animation or is the interpolation good enough to where it will do a decent job blending any animation?

26. marcipw

marcipw

Very good question. I would also like to know how this will work.

27. Mistermind

Mistermind

Fighting games normally depend very little on interpolation because of its natural reminiscence to the old 2d era. That being said, the fade between animations are normally very short so you are essentially exchanging smoothness for a better input response.

The system can however let you adjust each move to your own desired interpolation speed, so if its too "thick" you can always make it blend with the next animation in place. Just be careful not to overuse it, as it eliminates a part of the current animation (or move) in favor of blending as seen in the examples bellow:
    Light Punch: 1s
    Idle: x

interpolation speed: 0s
    |----------||-----------------------------------------

interpolation speed: .2s
    |---------|--|----------------------------------------

interpolation speed: .6s
    |-------|------|--------------------------------------

interpolation speed: 1s
    |-----|----------|------------------------------------

In other words, the higher the interpolation value, the less of the animation you get to see. If your light punch ends exactly when the hit boxes do, the engine will end up cutting a part of the move.
    By default I have set the interpolation to 0.1s. That gave me a good window to work with all animations in general, but as for animation exports, I recommend you always leave a small amount of "recovery frames" at the end of each animation.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  28. jaelove

jaelove

I guess I mentioned it because the engine that I am using uses the archaic method for interpolation so every move has to start and end with the idle frame it is less time consuming to have a engine that blends the animations properly for you

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  29. jaelove

jaelove

Can you use the SF3 style parry with the basic hold back for block command?

30. GPG

GPG

Have you considered having multiple fighters being able to be selected per fight, such as marvel vs capcom to maybe be added in a future update?

31. Mistermind

Mistermind

I did =) But to offer this in the package should take a little longer. If however you prefer to go deep into the engine and adjust the code yourself you can buy the open source version that I'll also provide.

You can set the buttons yourself =)
    $parrybuttonoptions.png $parryoptions.png

New video preview is up!

32. jaelove

jaelove

Very nice !!!:D

33. Mistermind

Mistermind

btw executing a shoryuken with one hand while trying to parry with the other is no easy task lol.
    Let alone in one shot (didn't want to have edits in this one)

34. jaelove

jaelove

What's left on the agenda?

35. Mistermind

Mistermind

Block -Push Block
    GUI -Timer, Gauge, Portrait
    Round begin, round ends
    Character Selection Screen
    Editor Window GUI
    Tutorials

What will probably take the longest is the Editor Window and Tutorials as I'm not yet very familiar with those.

36. jaelove

jaelove

Cool this will be a birthday present to myself if it comes out by the 21st lol, but I've been wanting something like this for years so I am really excited .I can't wait for the expanded versions as well things like level interactables, announcers and a potential variable animation blocking system will be all that I ever need.

would you have time to include a stage selection screen for the first release?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  37. MiLO83

MiLO83

I am looking for something exactly like this to take to a classic arcade party. It wouldnt be a product, so much as a chance to advertise my other games. The party, however is on the 27th Nov. I have a Kinect setup to my pc and can do facial/body mocap with it. Any chance of helping you and you helping me? Its just an idea to make a 1 stage fight outside the party venue, and project it on a big screen inside. Not a full game, so much as a tech demo. I can model the venue exterior myself. Any chance of a Beta?

To see some facial mocap I did go to www.aluntye.com, it shows a mocap I did of my grandpa, I can do better but I was just playing around and made it in 3 days, then went on to another project.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  38. Mistermind

Mistermind

I will try. For the other things that won't come out right away, I'll have an easy script access routine so you can have control over variables and events through external code as well.

Well I'm extremely busy with the engine currently, but the engine should provide you just enough to have a quick demo given you follow the tutorials I'll present. The engine will come with only a demo character though, I recommend you try making more characters and animations.

In fact, I recommend everyone that is interested in the engine to start making their assets =)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  39. jaelove

jaelove

" In fact, I recommend everyone that is interested in the engine to start making their assets "
    Way ahead of you lol

40. MiLO83

MiLO83

Can you give us the demo character to modify? (Animations inc.) before you release the bundle plz?
    That way I CAN get started :)

- Myles

https://www.facebook.com/myles.johnston.1 <--- MMind friend me here plz!

41. Mistermind

Mistermind

Another video for you guys =)

42. jaelove

jaelove

What kind of special move options do you have in the this version like as far as options? so far I see projectiles and dragon punches

43. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Very nice! Looks quite comprehensive.
    Bookmarked !

44. Mistermind

Mistermind

You can make virtually any special move. I only have those cause the animator helping me out only made those. As soon as I get to the tutorials I'll show off some of the moves you can make with the system. From divekick to "blanka ball" everything is possible.

45. jaelove

jaelove

Even Mk styled special moves like teleport, scorpion spear and freeze?

What about a wall bounce? Combo breakers?

46. Mistermind

Mistermind

Teleport yes, Freeze yes. Scorpion Spear not yet. It will probably require the throwing system to fully work so that is gonna be a post release feature.

47. jaelove

jaelove

Cool my game is a hybrid mix of 3d fighting game elements with 2.5d fighting game elements. I am looking forward to your post release version as well as I will have to omit a lot of my animations with this version but I can make something decent with this as well to hold me off until you expand the features.

48. Ale_alejandro

Ale_alejandro

First off I want to say thanks! I am a day 1 purchase I have few questions though

1.what's your timeframe looking like? November? December? Jan?

2.I am making a 2d fighter will my assets work in your toolkit? If so how should I prepare? Animate? Etc?

3. Any chance for an x factor type system maybe post release?

4. What about assists?

Thanks again

49. marcipw

marcipw

Looking great. Very speedy.

I love checking in on this thread! I am really excited about this asset and already have a few ideas for my game.
    I am working on a few characters too.

50. Mistermind

Mistermind

I'm hoping to get it done by the end of this month, but I might encounter delays during development.

The engine currently works in a 3D environment only. That's because the hitboxes are actually connected to the joints of the 3D character. Maybe in the future I might try making a 2D fighting engine, but the hitbox system would have to be a tool to draw them manually.

As a post release, probably yes =)

Same as x factor. The hitbox system is already highly inspired by MvC3 as it is more CPU efficient and give moves a wider variation of hitboxes, so anything inspired by Marvel should be a natural evolution of the engine. Even with the current system the x-factor and assist system shouldn't be that hard with the open source version.