Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Vulkan, OpenGL, DX12, DX11- Windows & Linux Demo - 'EdenSquared'

Discussion in '5.6 Beta' started by srmojuze, Dec 23, 2016.

1. srmojuze

srmojuze

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  2. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

You don't need to make separate builds for different graphics APIs. Just include them all into the build and the you can choose between them via command like arguments ("-force-d3d11", "-force-d3d12", "-force-vulkan").

3. srmojuze

srmojuze

Cool, thanks for the tip!

4. Muckel

Muckel

Hello,
    where is Mac OS X version?
    will support be dropped???
    M.-

5. srmojuze

srmojuze

Hi, I am not Unity Staff so I don't know a specific answer. As far as I know, there is no Vulkan support on Mac, just OpenGL and Metal.

I don't use Mac or iOS anymore at this stage so I cannot comment on the situation. Unfortunately that means that I can't build this particular demo for Mac, just Windows and Linux as it stands.

Personally, my opinion is that using Unity3D and using Metal API for iOS and Mac OS X is the best solution. It appears to be a fast option especially for the latest iOS device processors.

For OS X, Metal would also be a better option, though as we can see the latest Mac hardware definitely lags behind PC (and Linux) devices, in general.

Now I did find 'MoltenGL' which apparently tries to 'bridge' Vulkan to iOS and Metal. How it might apply to Unity3D I don't know, but the site is: https://moltengl.com/

6. bejito81

bejito81

Concerning the lack of Vulkan on Mac OS X, you can complain to Apple, they are the ones in favor of Metal, I guess they don't want their users to play games or use applications that are also available on other platforms