Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

VR-Design help with Project: LIGHTGUN wow. much code-name.

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by ChrisWiley15, Apr 28, 2017.

1. ChrisWiley15

ChrisWiley15

LIGHT GUN
    Hi, so I'm an engineering student with some relatively minor coding experience. I've never used Unity before and realize that I will need to do a lot of YouTube learning . I have aspirations of one day adding roomscale to old games, Bethesda games like FO3 and Oblivion specifically. If anybody is bored and wants to do that the internet would be very grateful. However this post is about a different project.

It is possible today to play old arcade games that use light guns using emulators like MAME. These emulators allow you to use the mouse cursor to control the point of aim. The basic idea is too use the VIVE controllers to do the same thing by controlling the mouse. You wouldn't wear the headset and just use the controllers and would allow for two players. You could indicate the location of the desired monitor's corners in space and store that as a layout and project the gun's aim to the screen for the cursor. That's the basic idea.

I'm putting this here both for expert advice on the software involved and advice on whether Unity is even needed for this. Any help is greatly appreciated. I just want this utility to exist so if anybody wants to steal this idea I wont be pissed. ​

Of course their are so many details that need addressed down the road:

The Vive controllers being bind-able to keystrokes and possibly also a like standard windows controller input.

It might also be necessary to include some kind of analog joystick conversion code as some games used that.

How to actually control the cursor with the minimum amount of lag and high poll rate.

Hell I guess a GUI so that this could be useful to others.

I guess make the whole thing a program, I honestly don't know how that works?

How to control the second player gun. (The AIMTrak Light gun software should be looked into) MAME might have it's own device input thing.

Making off screen reloads not take the window out of focus.

It would be Important to keep the performance hit to a minimum as emulating at the same time could be hard?

AND many many more.

As you can see I know nothing about this. This would be a super useful utility for any VIVE owner. Oculus Touch later. I honestly think that you could charge money for this. Just writing this made me realize how much effort would really be involved in order to fully realize this idea in its entirety. What do you guys think is this a feasible goal? Google searching stuff about this didn't provide insightful info. Is anybody interested in this? Thoughts? Thanks.