Search Unity

Vive Controller not showing up anymore, tried everything, need help

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by degrees, Jun 15, 2016.

1. degrees

degrees

So I got into Unity VR (Vive) yesterday and played around a little, watched some tutorials and everything worked more than perfectly.

Suddenly today the Controller (left) doesn't show up anymore. (http://i.imgur.com/8tNDApB.png - Hierarchy during Play mode)

What's happening is that when I enter playmode, Unity should assign an index to each Controller (Like this on the Controller (right): http://i.imgur.com/REgVgOh.png)(This is Left: http://i.imgur.com/BYXofM1.png)

However, the index is still "None" on the left Controller when entering playmode.
    I can enable the Controller Object manually and assign an Index (Device 4) to both the Controller and the Model and the Controller will start showing the correct Transform data in the inspector. In the scene I can "see" the controller too but not the model, just the XYZ axis arrows that are used to scale it, but they move around when I move the controller.

I have completely reinstalled Unity over 5 times now, including everything in AppData, all assets, all registry keys and any data related to Unity. I tried the latest and the beta Unity versions. I tried SteamVR beta and the regular one.

The controllers both work fine in any game and in the SteamVR home, even while running in Play Mode I can press the Home Button on the non working Controller and it works fine.
    I also changed the controllers once and it seems that the issue is not related to a specific physical Controller but to the "Controller (left)" in [CameraRig].

I am absolutely out of ideas, I would've loved to make my own game but Unity doesn't want me to.

c1eave likes this.
  2. Parallaxe

Parallaxe

I get your "left" picture during play only if a controller is not awake. As soon as I turn it on, Unity immediately assigns a device index. I guess you have already checked that in your SteamVR cockpit all's green when you're in Unity play mode?

I'm on 5.3.5 Pro with latest SteamVR Plugin. Which Unity version are you working on?

3. JannickL

JannickL

Are you using the SteamVR Standard Asset?

Should work standardly without changing much.

If you need help:

EleniMorena likes this.
  4. Object-Null

Object-Null

i see your inspector the controller object is turned off. (the checkbox left top in the inspector).
    and seeing the object in the hierachy it is turned light grey (so not in use)

5. nirakara

nirakara

Just happened to me as well. Beginner following a basic vrdev school tutorial and my left controller now always deactivates when i hit play in unity. I'm not attaching pics to this post because it looks exactly the same as the original post. I had a basic trigger press debug message script I was working on in the left controller so I copied it to the right controller (which is the only change to the standard steamvr asset) and it works fine. Left controller shows up fine in regular steamvr, it just deactvates when I hit play in unity. Object Null, regarding your question I think in the picture OP shows the properties while playing, which happens to me too. The controller is checked as active and then I hit play and it deactivates. degrees, did you figure it out?

6. nirakara

nirakara

Addendum- I made a new scene and my controllers were asleep so I turned on left first and it showed up, and then I turned right on and left disappeared. Just in case that means anything :)

7. ocinon

ocinon

Had the same problem and started investigating, as it turns out the problem seems to be a new update in the Steam-part (or at least the communication between SteamVR and the Unity plugin), so rolling back to the official SteamVR release (and not the beta) in Steam fixes the problem.

8. nirakara

nirakara

Confirmed, the beta's doing that. Thanks!

9. Tonmy_

Tonmy_

Huge luck I found this thread. Same problem here. I would have never guessed it was the beta.

10. jobyotero

jobyotero

Same problem here. Even SteamVR's samples Test_Throw and Test_IK don't show the left controllers, BUT the SteamVR Example scene works fine, even w/the beta. Interesting to note the different hierarchy/setup in that scene.

11. Cross22

Cross22

When I ran into this last week I tried restarting SteamVR and re-pairing the controllers, to no avail. Eventually I shut down Unity and restarted it, which somehow resolved the issue..

12. gary19930520

gary19930520

dlazardesigns likes this.
  13. wstar3

wstar3

14. Wealou

Wealou

I have the same problem here , but i can"t detect both of the controllers. the steamVr was updated yesterday.
    What should i do?

15. Object-Null

Object-Null

Wealou. I had the same problem. It has todo with all the unity updates and going from 5.4 tot 5.5 etc. I my case i had to add the script update_poses to the camera(eye) object in the camerarig manually.

16. Wealou

Wealou

Thank you so much , it did work for me ( unity 5.6 beta9 / all updates of steamVR)

neemo28 likes this.
  17. rajdweep

rajdweep

I have personally experience lot of glitches while using htc vive. There are lot things that might go wrong and you can see many errors messages popping around on your screen like vr headset not connected, vr driver not installed, errror 108 and much more. Here is the article that really helped and might help you as well. How to Fix Any HTC Vive Error. Let me know in the comments below if this doesn't work out for you. I would be happy to help you out...

18. nrmeyer

nrmeyer

Thanks so much for the solution! Works for me, Unity 5.6.0b5

19. Flash_04

Flash_04

Thanks! This helped me too!

I updated to the 5.6 beta and I lost the controllers - now fixed, but I also get ArgumentException errors that seem to be related to the controllers in the sdk manager. I dont suppose you have any advice here? The only 2 things I have done is upgrade to 5.6 and also try and bake a nav mesh to my scene.

- P.s I am a complete newbie, any solution that isnt rebuilding the entire scene would be amazing!

20. arsiliath

arsiliath

This works for me too. Updated from Unity 5.5 to 5.6 and this brings back the Vive controllers.

21. TheRaider

TheRaider

I tried this and while it brings then back the position of them isn't tracked correctly.

22. hellobard

hellobard

Had this issue too when upgrading to 5.6. Adding the Poses script to the Camera (eye) fixed it.

wileymab, sonofbryce and bubigame like this.
  23. freerangegames

freerangegames

Thanks. Same here. Thought we would get a new SteamVR plugin if the necessary prefab changed, but adding the update poses script seems to patch it.

24. SecondCobra

SecondCobra

Has anyone else tried using the poses solution with VRTK. The poses solution works in projects without VRTK but makes no difference in projects with it. Caveat: I've only tried this with one older project, updated to 5.6. I updated to latest SteamVR plugin and VRTK from the asset store. Controllers are still disabled when run.

25. montyfi

montyfi

Yep, just fixed it for me. Thanks a lot to @Object-Null for a solution!

wileymab likes this.
  26. dzn21

dzn21

Thanks! quick fix

27. vijayalakshmi_asm

vijayalakshmi_asm

28. humam

humam

Ran into same problem when i updated to unity 5.6! Controller turns off! Same project ran fine before on unity 5.5.. Will apply all the solutions after the weekend! Thanks for yur solutions in advance :)

29. Vortavasail

Vortavasail

does anyone know a fix for deselecting Text boxes with VRTK

30. humam

humam

After applying Stream_VR_Update_poses script to camera (eye) I am running into another problem which wasn't there before!
    controller pointer is not interacting with VRTK canvas (not even in the example scene - InteractingWithUI).

31. ZealUnity

ZealUnity

^Same problem as human

Adding the update poses scripts causes the controllers to show up, but now the ui interaction is busted (you can test in the VRTK Controllers intracting with ui example scene).

Using the latest SteamVR plugin (1.2.1), VRTK (3.1.0), and Unity 5.6.0f3)

32. Vortavasail

Vortavasail

does anyone know a fix for deselecting Text boxes with VRTK?

nothing was wrong with VRTK, on my end everything is working fine.

33. Koreldan

Koreldan

34. bddckr

bddckr

Hello there! The controllers not appearing is a SteamVR issue which the latest VRTK resolves automatically because we don't want to wait for Valve to update the SteamVR plugin asset.

Any UI issues are probably related to 5.6 which have already been fixed in the latest VRTK versions. Use the latest GitHub master to get all the bug fixes and features:
    https://github.com/thestonefox/VRTK

I also suggest joining the VRTK Slack: http://invite.vrtk.io/

odbasta likes this.
  35. ekergraphics

ekergraphics

I just tried HTC's own Vive Input Utility and no controllers showed up. I guess it's part of the same problem?

Is there a Steam discussion about this that anyone can link to which I could add my voice to? I'm guessing Valve doesn't read the Unity forums... (no idea how to get through to HTC, though... perhaps leave a negative review on the Asset Store until they fix it?)

EDIT: HTC updated their asset 10 hours ago it says. Fingers crossed, but I don't have time to test it right now!

EDIT: Tested it. Vive controllers do not show up in the Vive Input asset example scene.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  36. HereticForLife

HereticForLife

I'm having the same issue, even with the latest SteamVR plugin and latest VRTK. Couldn't do anything even with Update_Poses, somehow adding it to both controllers caused the controllers to finally show up... across the room from their actual location, and freezing the camera, so not very helpful.

Also I'm getting the following errors constantly, even after setting everything in the SDK manager:

"No model container could be found. Have you selected a valid Controller SDK in the SDK Manager? If you are unsure, then click the GameObject with the `VRTK_SDKManager` script attached to it in Edit Mode and select a Controller SDK from the dropdown."

"NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    VRTK.VRTK_BodyPhysics.CalculateVelocity () (at Assets/VRTK/Scripts/Presence/VRTK_BodyPhysics.cs:385)
    VRTK.VRTK_BodyPhysics.FixedUpdate () (at Assets/VRTK/Scripts/Presence/VRTK_BodyPhysics.cs:273)"

37. ekergraphics

ekergraphics

FYI, Valve's own InteractionSystem still shows its controllers in 5.6 without having to update anything.

And the ViveGrip asset just issued an update which fixes the issue for that particular plugin.

38. rickblacker

rickblacker

I had all this working...
    Unity 5.6.0f3

https://www.raywenderlich.com/149239/htc-vive-tutorial-unity

After the 5.6 update, I did the fix to drag SteamVR_UpdatePoses onto the Camera Head. Everything was working great.

I wanted to remove all VR for various reasons so I took out all the VR and put FPS controller back in. Made modifications to level and what not.

Tried to bring SteamVR/Vive back into my level... I put the lazer pointer scripts back onto the controllers, I populated the public fields in the inspector. I added SteamVR_UpdatePoses to Camera (Head) ... But, nothing. My controllers are simply not being recognized.

Just for completeness, I created a brand new project, I added a single terrain. Nothing else, just a terrain. I downloaded and imported a fresh copy of SteamVR from the asset store.

I imported in my Teleport script, put those on my controllers, filled out the proper public variables in the inspector for the teleport script. Dragged SteamVR_UpdatePoses onto Camera(Head) .... Still nothing even with a brand new project.

For grins, I tried playing a VR game from our steam collection. That seemed to work fine. I must be missing something, but I' not sure what.

I even put a Debug.Log(...); statement in my teleport scripts startup() function. Nothing. Controllers don't even appear in the VR headset anymore.

39. ekergraphics

ekergraphics

40. dmennenoh

dmennenoh

The UpdatePoses script should be attached to Camera (eye) not Camera (head)

This fixed the issue for me.

rickblacker likes this.
  41. yaezah

yaezah

Is anyone still having the tracking problem even after adding the poses script?

I've tested it on a lot of new scenes attaching the poses script to (Eye and head), (eye only), (head only), (eye and camerarig), (camera rig only) , each time in a new project. Nothing seems to work, even keep downgrading from 5.6 to 5.5.3 to 5.5.2 and still no luck. The controllers just don't track, but as soon as I hit the menu button it shows them in the steam menu.

42. ekergraphics

ekergraphics

If you switch your camera rig to the one in the InteractionSystem folder instead, the controllers track.

Valve seems to use a different way of tracking controllers there, not using Steam_Tracked_Object but rather something else (Hand?) that I haven't figured out how it works yet (because I've so far failed to integrate it with either VRTK, Newton or ViveGrip).

You don't even need the update poses for the InteractionSystem rig!

43. rl34ch

rl34ch

Also fixed the issue for me. In the default Unity 5.6.0f3 layout...

Top middle "Hierarchy" > Expand "Camera Rig" > Expand "Camera (head)"
    (You should see "Camera (eye)")

Bottom middle "Project" > Search bar
    Search for: " UpdatePoses"
    Drag the single file on to "Camera (eye)"

Re-start the scene, and get back to your tutorial!

44. neemo28

neemo28

Thank You!!! It worked!!

45. TechnOrganic

TechnOrganic

AMEN!!!!! Brother, it WORKS AGAIN!!!!!!

Wealou. I had the same problem. It has todo with all the unity updates and going from 5.4 tot 5.5 etc. I my case i had to add the script update_poses to the camera(eye) object in the camerarig manually.

46. sonofbryce

sonofbryce

Thanks a ton, this saved my butt. Upgrading to 5.6 broke controller tracking for me. Adding "SteamVR_UpdatePoses" to "Camera (eye)" fixed it for me.

47. Saravana_Vins

Saravana_Vins

Hey, anyone could you please help me where SteamVR_UpdatePoses script to be added for OVR Camera Rig while using with Oculus Rift?

48. Saravana_Vins

Saravana_Vins

Hey, could you please help me for OVR Camera Rig while using with Oculus Rift? I have fixed for HTC Vive using your solution. But it doesn't help for Oculus Rift. Please help me with that.

49. sonofbryce

sonofbryce

If you're using OVR Camera Rig, that has nothing to do with the SteamVR stuff so it wouldn't help you.

50. imaginethepoet

imaginethepoet

This problem still exists just in case anyone is wondering. Updating the eye on the poses solves it for the SteamVR