Search Unity

Visual Studio for Mac Preview or VS Code?

Discussion in 'Code Editors & IDEs' started by RmvZ3, Nov 17, 2016.

1. RmvZ3

RmvZ3

I've just installed the brand new Visual Studio for Mac. I was using VS Code lately. I wonder what are the benefits of using full Visual Studio versus VS Code if I don't care about Xamarin and I'm only interested in Unity programming with C#

EDIT: VS Code is winning since I can't find how to toggle Word Wrap in Visual Studio Preview. That's the reason why I'm not using MonoDevelop! I can't understand how they can make a text editor without word wrapping. :(

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  2. Kequc

Kequc

VS Code is a fairly good solution since it's default configuration is roundly minimalistic. It doesn't support compilation out of the box for example, an extension is needed. Which is perfect since Unity handles compilation for you. VS Code does everything you need without the kitchen sink imo.

3. novaVision

novaVision

VS Code is horrible is most cases. I really enjoyed VS in WinOS, but when I migrated to MacOS for a while I tried to work with VS code... Unfortunately no changes with it. Most useful code editor features are missing there. The 1st think I can remember is #region hashtags collapsing and control.. I broke my mind there.

Today I found a news about VS for mac. If that will have same features as VS on win got, that would be just awesome.
    Would be very useful to know anything about Unity integration for VS mac. Is there any info? I did't find anything yet

4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

It's basically MonoDevelop AKA Xamarin Studio with a new name. Not a port of VS.

--Eric

5. SteveJ

SteveJ

The unfortunate truth is that MonoDevelop is probably still the best code editor if you're working on macOS and want things to just work.

mikesway79 likes this.
  6. novaVision

novaVision

Yeap, I know it, but there was no way to integrate Xamarin script editor with Unity. What's now about VS mac and Unity? Still will not be possible to integrate?

7. Alvaro_Spain

Alvaro_Spain

Maybe I am misunderstanding you, but I use Xamarin Studio everyday to work with Unity in my Mac without problems (you just have to configure in Unity Preferences->External Tools->Xamarin Studio). Even the debugger for Xamarin seems to me much more reliable than Monodevelop's debugger. In case you are interested, you can visit this thread where Lukaszunity explains how to set up the debugger for Xamarin:

https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/unity-debugger-add-in-for-xamarin-studio-6.427305/

novaVision likes this.
  8. novaVision

novaVision

Thanks for that info. I didn't know that is possible. But what about new VS? Will that Xamarin approach work with VS?

9. Alvaro_Spain

Alvaro_Spain

I don't know, I haven't tried, mostly because I am relatively happy with Xamarin Studio 6.1. But, in the thread that I just mentioned, Lukaszunity says that:

"...
    Hey, I just quickly tried to change the minium required version for the debugger add-in to 7.0 and install it in Visual Studio for Mac. Unfortunately the debugger extension is unable to attach and it looks like something changed again the in the APIs that makes the add-in incompatible with Visual Studio for Mac.

I think I will wait with adding support for Visual Studio for Mac until it is out of preview, as the APIs are likely to keep changing until they release a stable public version.
    "

So, in my opinion (which might be wrong), Unity Technologies will support Visual Studio for Mac once it is stable.

10. mikesway79

mikesway79

Unfortunately, this is still true even after the official release of VS Mac. I am very much a noob and was trying to use the VS Mac instead of MonoDev but continuously had issues. Though there are many similarities between the two, MonoDev gives you more feedback than VS Mac does at this time. Also, I think MonoDev is a little faster running the code itself. Not much but enough to save time over the course of a project.

11. Carwashh

Carwashh

I know this edit is from last Nov, however...
    https://code.visualstudio.com/shortcuts/keyboard-shortcuts-macos.pdf

Says word wrap is alt+z

12. stummark

stummark

Working on the Ruby 2D tutorial and downloaded Visual Studio 2019 I'm getting a error to upgrade to the language to C# 7.0 can't find anyway to to that on Mac. I miss MonoDevelop

Attached Files: