Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Scripting Visual Studio Breakpoints

Discussion in '5.2 Beta' started by Gizmoi, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Gizmoi

Gizmoi

Hi guys.
    Pre-Unity 5.2 I was happily using UnityVS with Visual Studio Ultimate 2013.
    I installed Unity 5.2 to find it has support for VS out of the box.
    So I uninstalled Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for Unity.
    Now I don't know how to attach for debugging breakpoints, previously I pressed Attach to Unity, which has been replaced by Start.

Any insights?

jujugy likes this.
  2. jbevain

jbevain

Microsoft

Gizmoi likes this.
  3. Lucas-Meijer

Lucas-Meijer

Unity Technologies

yeah, the "out of the box" part, means that the unity installer will offer you to install VSTU. if you uninstall VSTU afterwards, the "nice" integration will break, and you'll fall back to the "non-vstu" behaviour of 5.1

Gizmoi likes this.
  4. Maisey

Maisey

That's weird. I installed Unity 5.2 yesterday and I didn't get the VSTU automatically (didn't have VSTU at all before, thus the reason why I installed 5.2). I had to go into the Visual Studio and install it through the Extensions-place.

5. movra

movra

@Maisey

My installer looks like this, it has an entry for VSTU. How does it look in your case?

upload_2015-9-9_15-52-7.png

If it looks the same, did the installation fail despite the item being checked?

6. Gizmoi

Gizmoi

Thanks guys. I think I was confused because I still had UnityVS.OpenFile as an option for External Script Editor, so I uninstalled VS Tools so as not to conflict. It's fine now after reinstalling.

7. Maisey

Maisey

It looked the same, I had unchecked "Web Player" and "Example Project". Can't possible imagine that I unchecked the "Visual Studio Tools for Unity" when that was the reason I even installed 5.2. :p

8. TeeTeeHaa

TeeTeeHaa

When not downloading the special installer (636 KB) but the Editor-only installer, for example "Unity Editor (64 Bit)" found under "Additional Downloads" ("UnitySetup64-5.2.0f3.exe", 1.2 GB), the checkbox options within the installation process will be different. In my example the only checkbox option is "MonoDevelop".

Using that full Editor-only installer means downloading only once and installing it plenty times without further downloading. Simply saves bandwidth.

I highly suggest that even the special installer includes a checkbox option to install MonoDevelop because the Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2015 cannot be used by everyone. Our company makes more money than allowed for the Community Edition. The programmers in my team use Visual Studio 2013 Professional but the game designers and graphic artists do not, simply because of the cost of Visual Studio. When those occasionally have a look into a C# script they use the MonoDevelop included in Unity.

9. Gizmoi

Gizmoi

It may be useful for you to note that while using the special installer that downloads the UnitySetup for you, you can opt to save the installer file in a location of your choice.

We have one team member download the installer and then move the downloaded installer to a shared drive for all to use.