Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Visual Actions

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Sajid_farooq, Aug 5, 2013.

1. franktinsley

franktinsley

Have you seen the similar things the Unity guys are working on for the new GUI? They seem to do essentially the same thing as this package but with an added niceness of being able to add multiple gameobjects and their contained method call without adding a component for each. Although I don't think I've seen this packages cool trick of exposing the called method's argument in the inspector.

2. Sajid_farooq

Sajid_farooq

No I havent seen their new GUI system. The last time I saw it, (before they hired the NGUI guy) they were doing something totally different.

In fact, Visual Actions was originally for my own GUI system, called Fluid. From the way you are describing the new Unity GUI, its probably very similar to what I published last year: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/163975-Fluid-A-new-GUI-system-for-Unity

3. neoxeo

neoxeo

I havn't seen Fluid GUI before today.

This project looks promising !

4. Sajid_farooq

Sajid_farooq

Thanks!

Version 1.2 is finally done. With some final error-checking, it will be uploaded to the asset store within the next 24 hours. With some expanded features, the final version 1.2 feature-list is here:

5. Sajid_farooq

Sajid_farooq

I need a beta-tester for the NGUI integration. So if anyone who has bought Visual Actions has NGUI, and doesn't mind giving the new NGUI events a whiz, let me know please.

6. Sajid_farooq

Sajid_farooq

Version 1.2 Submitted to Asset Store

Buy now! Price will double as soon as Version 1.2 is approved on the Asset Store!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  7. Sajid_farooq

Sajid_farooq

Sent via e-mail. Let me know if it works as you intend.

8. Sajid_farooq

Sajid_farooq

Its great to see Visual Actions now in the Top 5 utilities in the "Visual Scripting" Category. :)

$Top5.jpg

9. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

Congrats....more videos please!

10. Sajid_farooq

Sajid_farooq

Thanks!

Any specific topics you would like to see covered in the videos? I am currently planning to cover Animations (Mecanim and Legacy Animation View).

11. Deleted User

Deleted User

Purchased!

Is Visual Actions compatible with Playmaker?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2013
  12. Sajid_farooq

Sajid_farooq

Hi Andrea,

I have not used PlayMaker personally, however, I will quote one of our customers (from Page 1):

13. Deleted User

Deleted User

It was not a question about Visual Actions vs Playmaker, in fact i would try to use both extensions in the same project ;)
    For example Antares VIZIO is compatible with Playmaker.
    Anyway i will test the compatibility directly :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2013
  14. Sajid_farooq

Sajid_farooq

Apologies, I misunderstood. I thought you wanted to know if you could use Visual Actions within PlayMaker. Hence, the quote.

There are several customers who are using PlayMaker and Visual Actions side-by-side and I have not heard of any incompatibilities so far. Please let me know what you find as well.

15. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

Have a look at unity3dstudent.com for some ideas. Will did a great job on creating the basics. Would be interesting to see similar with VA.

16. Sajid_farooq

Sajid_farooq

I saw that a couple of years ago. Perhaps I should revisit.

17. Sajid_farooq

Sajid_farooq

Up to Top 4 in the category. Thanks for all the support, reviews, suggestions, and comments! :)

$Top4.jpg

Still a few more days before version 1.2 is approved. Buy now before price doubles!

18. Sajid_farooq

Sajid_farooq

Version 1.2 is now live!

Looks like I was wrong about the time it would take to approve the asset this time. Generally it takes 5-7 days, but they approved it in 3 days this time. Apologies to those caught unaware on the price increase!

19. Sajid_farooq

Sajid_farooq

iTween Integration

iTween works really well with Visual Actions. Together, the two extensions dramatically enhance the power of animation in Unity. A slightly more complicated example coming soon.

20. neoxeo

neoxeo

Good news Sajid !

21. Sajid_farooq

Sajid_farooq

iTween Integration - Part B

An slightly more advanced example. Using two actions on a single object, to control 2 iTween events.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  22. ZJP

ZJP

ITween is the least efficient of tweener. :( You would choose:

HOTween
    or
    LeanTween

23. Sajid_farooq

Sajid_farooq

Don't worry. More integration tutorials coming soon. :)

24. ZJP

ZJP

Ah.. Thanks for the reply. ;)

25. Sajid_farooq

Sajid_farooq

Version 1.3 is especially exciting. It works with some major libraries straight-off-the-bat. Some WIP videos coming soon!

26. Sajid_farooq

Sajid_farooq

Spot the differences...A sign of things to come. :)

$V12AndV13DiffSignatureAnnotated.jpg

27. Sajid_farooq

Sajid_farooq

Version 1.3 is already coming along nicely. In previous versions, you could only call functions that were either in scripts attached to GameObjects (derived from Monobehaviour), or from one of the Application, GameObject, or Object classes. Well, that restriction is now lifted...

Obviously many more features to be added before final release.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  28. neoxeo

neoxeo

Thank you to give us news of progress

29. Sajid_farooq

Sajid_farooq

It is my pleasure neoxeo.

Indeed it is my intention to provide as early updates as possible, so that Visual Actions grows as per the requirements of users rather than in isolation.

30. Sajid_farooq

Sajid_farooq

LOTS of refactoring done so that VA is now almost re-written, with a much cleaner and leaner code-base. This translates directly into a much more flexible frame-work that makes it much easier to add features.

For those intending to modify the source, the cleaner code will be much easier to extend as well. As always, the code is fully commented.

31. LordSoth30

LordSoth30

G'day there, just like to say a big thank you to Sajidfarooq for promptly responding to my questions about Visual Actions in private messages.
    With his permission I will post the question and answer in this forum section for anyone else out there who might have the same question -
    (re-worded a little for forum reading)

I was asking if Visual Actions could help me with a no scripting, easy to use action I'm looking for in my model.
    What I'm after is a way for the user to click on an object with the mouse and for that objects Tag Description to be printed on screen.
    I'm an industrial structural designer and use Tekla / Revit / AutoCAD to model to shop detail level models and then export them into Unity as an FBX.
    When imported into Unity each steel member (or other) keeps the original description from Tekla (say 250UC37 Column) and puts this description into the Tag in Unity.
    I want the client or vendors to be able to walk around the model and click on members and have that description display on screen.
    I have used Revit / Tekla for fly throughs and walk throughs but it's not the best for height clearances and object obstructions. I've only recently discovered Unity so it's still a big learning curve for me, I've found out with Unity I can set the character heights for object obstructions (ie; a safety helmet I can easily add into Unity on my character height) also using the character to duck to see if a person can get into a certain area to install pipeworks or electrical equipment etc, and plus it's pretty impressive to the client.

Sajidfarooq's response -
    Can you tell me a bit more. I.e, where is the information about the object stored? As a public variable inside the object? How will it be displayed? As a GUIText or in the Debug.Log?

This is possible very easily via chaining in the to-be-released version 1.3

There was a bit more toing and froing but over all quick response and very happy with the answers :)

32. Sajid_farooq

Sajid_farooq

Thanks LordSoth30, for the kind words!

Luckily, registered users are eligible to receive version 1.3 as features are implemented, rather than having to wait for the final version, so those who purchase VA now, will basically get the new features almost straight away.

33. LordSoth30

LordSoth30

Fantastic sounds great!
    Weekend is coming up so I'll hopefully get some time to pop onto Unity then :)

34. Sajid_farooq

Sajid_farooq

Just remember to send me your email address (with invoice) via PM so I can send you the updates when available.

35. Sajid_farooq

Sajid_farooq

Luckily, with the code re-write, this will now be possible. Registered users can expect an early beta release with multiple-actions on a single component some time next week. Hopefully earlier rather than later.

36. gameboy

gameboy

How do we set up compound actions that require access to other game/Unity objects to perform calculations rather than just putting in a single value in a field? Is this possible with Visual Actions without resorting to coding?

For example, suppose I attach a Visual Action to an empty GameObject which on Start positions a bunch of other game objects based upon the size of the screen? So in this case, the Visual Action attached to the controlling game object must operate on multiple Target Objects, whose position values will depend upon the screen width and height, as well as the width and height of the target objects.

37. Sajid_farooq

Sajid_farooq

I will break your question into two parts. 1) Attaching multiple Actions 2) Doing more than entering a single value in the "parameter" fields.

In Version 1.2 (current version on Asset Store)
    1) You can already do that currently just by drag-and-dropping multiple actions on an object.
    2) It is not possible in the "current" version.

In version 1.3 (Upcoming version)

1) This has been greatly simplified. You don't need to drag-and-drop multiple actions any more. Furthermore, it is possible to re-order actions, and thereby choose which one gets fired first, then second, etc.

2) This is possible via "chaining". Basically, parameters can be "chained" to another Action, so the return-value from one Action becomes the input to the other Action. This allows you to do what you want to do, i.e, call an action to get the screen height, and then pass that on to a "Translate" Action.

Having said that, obviously version 1.3 is not on the Asset Store yet. However, registered users will get the first early-beta by the end of this week. If you have purchased VA, and would like to receive the early beta, PM me with an invoice number and e-mail address.

38. gameboy

gameboy

Thanks Sajidfarooq!

I'll be looking forward to version 1.3.

39. Sajid_farooq

Sajid_farooq

The first Early Beta of version 1.3 has just been sent to registered users. Any comments/bug-reports/suggestions/criticism welcome here.

40. Sajid_farooq

Sajid_farooq

The ability to create "action Sequences", re-order them, change parameters for each one individually, all in one neat collapsible component:

$ImprovedLayoutClosed.jpg

41. Sajid_farooq

Sajid_farooq

The ability to choose "any" class level functions, i.e, even those not in components (on GameObjects). C# and Javascript classes, both supported.

$StaticClasses.jpg

42. mateodon

mateodon

I just bought Visual Actions, and it looks promising.

As convenient as the visual scripting aspect looks (and I'm sure I'll have plenty of uses for it), I am most interested in it's reflective capacity, I have been struggling with integrating a complex asset into my project. Hopefully Visual Actions can help teach me how to access and modify the functions and commands in the many scripts of this other asset.

43. mateodon

mateodon

After testing Visual Actions I have a few suggestions for improvement.

-A filter or search function for the actions menu. The list of actions is already quite long, and I imagine future updates may add even more actions, a method to quickly find the specific action I'm looking for would be a huge convenience.

-A condition is false option. As an example, in the Tutorial 1 scene, I wanted to add a second action to the CubeHover object, stating if mouse hover is false then set the light color back to white. Using On Fixed Update instead of Mouse Hover achieved the desired result, but I am unsure if that would work in a more complex arrangement, and if I were writing code for this function I would have tried to implement a false or != condition.

-A method to set and use random values. My most used line in C# is likely "Random.Range", so I naturally tried to use that as a value for several variables and discovered that most only accept numerical entries.

44. Sajid_farooq

Sajid_farooq

Hi,

Its great to hear you are enjoying VA, and those are some really great suggestions!

-A filter would certainly come in handy. Although I will not be able to include that in version 1.3 (which already has quite a feature list back-log), but hopefully in a minor update thereafter. In the mean-time, I might be able to include a quick hack that does some preliminary filtering based on a key-press, for example. No promises though!

-Conditional statements (if/else) are already on the TODO list for version 1.3. They will allow you to do simple toggles and much more.

-In version 1.3, you can use any class-level function. I will make sure that Random.Range is tested to be working before release as well.

Any other comments/suggestions are welcome.

45. mateodon

mateodon

Visual Actions already lets you press the first letter of an action to cycle through the list of actions that begin with that letter. This feature has proved to be quite convenient, so I don't think you need to concern yourself with a temporary hack.

Good to know that conditional statements and class functions are already in the pipeline, I foresee much more use for Visual Actions in the future. Keep up the good work.

46. Sajid_farooq

Sajid_farooq

Thanks for the compliments. Let me take this post as a quick oppertunity to update everyone on the progress of version 1.3:

Class functionality is actually already implemented, as well as multiple actions from a single script. Chaining and code-generation are currently in progress, while conditional statements are in the pipeline.

47. ZJP

ZJP

Hi,

Any news?

48. Sajid_farooq

Sajid_farooq

Sorry for being off the radar for a while.

Yes, a new beta is almost ready. A quick screen shot:
    $VariableEvents.jpg

Events are completely re-useable. You can selectively add just the events that you need (no more clutter) or re-use them on other Visual Actions. Now you can choose every single event supported by Unity as well as defining your own.

Initial code-generation also in the up-coming beta :)

49. neoxeo

neoxeo

Hi Sajid,

Lot of very good news ! Continue your hard job. Thank y ou for us.

50. Sajid_farooq

Sajid_farooq

Thanks Neo,

Its users like you who bring out the best in Visual Actions. :)

The new Event Selection Window

$EventWindowCropped.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013